University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Dunatov just called! ACCEPTED!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I got a call earlier today!! ACCEPTED!!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Just waiting for it to sink in.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted :)

Reactions: 2 users
We got that Msucom II tho so its all good homie

Lol that was my exact thoughts, i got the reject right after my II email from MSU. And i was like NOPE NOTHING IS KILLING MY HAPPINESS RN

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I am wrong but from gleaning the last few pages, interview day goes something like 2-on-1, really laid back, open file, be prepared for anything on your app style questions, and then you get a call the week after? So like super turnaround time at KYCOM?

Correct me if I am wrong but from gleaning the last few pages, interview day goes something like 2-on-1, really laid back, open file, be prepared for anything on your app style questions, and then you get a call the week after? So like super turnaround time at KYCOM?
Correct.

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone! I've been trying to learn a little more about KYCOM but have some questions.

I see that they have many 3rd year core rotation sites and one in PA (where I'm from). Do you think this site will be preserved in the coming years with possibly even more added in PA? And is it correct that in the 4th year, you can pretty much do rotations wherever you want in the country? How easy is this entire process of finding rotation sites you like?

Regarding residencies, I see that 70% of students get their first choice and 85-90% get one of their top 3 choices. I'm assuming these are considered good odds for matching into the residency of your choice, correct? How does KYCOM's match compare with that of other DO schools? I haven't been able to find too much specific info on KYCOM's match lists.

Also, I know people always bash KYCOM for their lower than national average COMLEX pass rates. However, it seems to me based recent stats that KYCOM students are doing much better than before? The first time pass rate looks like 95% for 2013 on COMLEX level 3. Am I understanding this accurately?

Thanks!!

I see that they have many 3rd year core rotation sites and one in PA (where I'm from). Do you think this site will be preserved in the coming years with possibly even more added in PA? And is it correct that in the 4th year, you can pretty much do rotations wherever you want in the country? How easy is this entire process of finding rotation sites you like?

There aren't any rotations in PA anymore. You learn from the class before you about the various sites. I have some I'm highly interested in but unfortunately so are other people.

Regarding residencies, I see that 70% of students get their first choice and 85-90% get one of their top 3 choices. I'm assuming these are considered good odds for matching into the residency of your choice, correct? How does KYCOM's match compare with that of other DO schools? I haven't been able to find too much specific info on KYCOM's match lists.

Im not far enough in to be able to really answer this question.

Also, I know people always bash KYCOM for their lower than national average COMLEX pass rates. However, it seems to me based recent stats that KYCOM students are doing much better than before? The first time pass rate looks like 95% for 2013 on COMLEX level 3. Am I understanding this accurately?

Our passing rate is going up. But I don't think it's 95%, I think it was about 92%, but it used to be in the 80's. They're pushing exam prep very hard. I think it could be better if they ended the semester a bit sooner because we're required to BLS and ACLS and do pictures and things after the final exam. Wish we ended the end of April.

Be honest with me: I haven't been offered a ii, should I just focus on next year then?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, from what I'm reading Bowling Green was taken off the list of possible rotation sites for KYCOM?

So, from what I'm reading Bowling Green was taken off the list of possible rotation sites for KYCOM?
Apparently it's still an option for us. They had to renegotiate because UK is opening up a satellite program in bowling green and we don't know what it will be for future classes.

Last edited:
Just sent my secondary in this morning.

anyone know when the class of 2021 page will go up on facebook?

Reactions: 1 users
Relax and don't worry till after February.
I've been complete since August.. Complete silence. I've even emailed and called Ronnie multiple times. Never got a response. Only thing I noticed was that they completed my application after I submitted my secondary after numerous unresponded emails.

I've been complete since August.. Complete silence. I've even emailed and called Ronnie multiple times. Never got a response. Only thing I noticed was that they completed my application after I submitted my secondary after numerous unresponded emails.
There's nothing you can do then other than relax. If people are unresponsive there's not much you can change about that.

There aren't any rotations in PA anymore. You learn from the class before you about the various sites. I have some I'm highly interested in but unfortunately so are other people.

@samac thanks so much for your reply! I just wanted to follow up on a couple questions.

1. When I went in for my interview day recently, they have us a paper with rotation sites for that year (15-16). On the paper, I saw one rotation site for the 15-16 year in PA, some in VA, etc. Do you only find out which rotation sites still exist at the start of the new academic year then?

2. how flexible is it to go wherever you want for 4th year rotations? Are students still restricted to certain areas and sites or can you pretty much go wherever you want?

3. Finally, I'm debating going to my CUSOM interview right now. My only acceptance is KYCOM right now (but I loved it during my interview visit!) Would you agree there are more pros to attending KYCOM over CUSOM? From what I was thinking, KYCOM is obviously a more established school with probably more opportunities, pretty successful rotation and residency matches, and great student/faculty/community atmosphere. CUSOM is closer to my home by 2 hours (7 hrs to get to CUSOM, 9 hrs to get to KYCOM... but I don't think it's a big diff as they're both pretty far away). CUSOM also said I MAY be interviewing only for a waitlist spot. Does anyone have any advice on this situation to guide my decision regarding whether or not I should still attend my CUSOM interview? Thanks so much!

1. When I went in for my interview day recently, they have us a paper with rotation sites for that year (15-16). On the paper, I saw one rotation site for the 15-16 year in PA, some in VA, etc. Do you only find out which rotation sites still exist at the start of the new academic year then?
Contracts are renegotiated every year so you don't know what sites are available until you're a second year. We didn't know until the second week of November.

2. how flexible is it to go wherever you want for 4th year rotations? Are students still restricted to certain areas and sites or can you pretty much go wherever you want?
You can pretty much go wherever you want, but remember it's audition rotation time. It's best to go to places with residencies.

3. Finally, I'm debating going to my CUSOM interview right now. My only acceptance is KYCOM right now (but I loved it during my interview visit!) Would you agree there are more pros to attending KYCOM over CUSOM? From what I was thinking, KYCOM is obviously a more established school with probably more opportunities, pretty successful rotation and residency matches, and great student/faculty/community atmosphere. CUSOM is closer to my home by 2 hours (7 hrs to get to CUSOM, 9 hrs to get to KYCOM... but I don't think it's a big diff as they're both pretty far away). CUSOM also said I MAY be interviewing only for a waitlist spot. Does anyone have any advice on this situation to guide my decision regarding whether or not I should still attend my CUSOM interview? Thanks so much!

I don't personally know a lot about CUSOM vs KYCOM. My best advice for any school is if you're interested go to the interview and see what happens. If you enjoy your interview more at CUSOM and they accept you, you have your answer.

hey how did everyone travel to the school? Is there no direct flights to the city?

hey how did everyone travel to the school? Is there no direct flights to the city?
No there are no direct flights. Your best bet is to fly into Lexington and rent a car from there. It's 2 hours to pikeville.

plenty of us at the interview date just drove there. I drove 8 hours but others drove 5-6 hours. It was cheaper that way, I spent 120 in gas rather than the cost of plane ticket, rental car, and gas.

EDIT: the single gas station in pikeville was cheaper than other places by like 20 cents per gallon so I would fill up there before leaving.

plenty of us at the interview date just drove there. I drove 8 hours but others drove 5-6 hours. It was cheaper that way, I spent 120 in gas rather than the cost of plane ticket, rental car, and gas.

EDIT: the single gas station in pikeville was cheaper than other places by like 20 cents per gallon so I would fill up there before leaving.
Single gas station? There's 2 directly in town, 1 further out by Walmart and a gazillion in coal run.

Last edited:
Single gas station? There's 2 in town, 1 by Walmart and a gazillion in coal run.
I am talking about directly in pikeville but I guess I missed the one near Walmart. So 2 in town, either way it was still cheaper than all the neighboring towns

I've seen some discussion of the post interview survey becoming available on the portal. Is this an indicator of anything? Does it mean the admissions committee has met?

Anyone accepted 2 weeks ago get their packet in the mail yet?

Do you all think it's too late to submit a secondary here? I have the secondary invite, I just haven't filled it out yet.

Do you all think it's too late to submit a secondary here? I have the secondary invite, I just haven't filled it out yet.

I'd say go for it. I got the feeling that they go pretty late into the interview season.

I'd say go for it. I got the feeling that they go pretty late into the interview season.
That's what I figured. I was assuming that this school has a decent amount of movement once waitlist season starts. I'll go knock it out tonight after work.

I've seen some discussion of the post interview survey becoming available on the portal. Is this an indicator of anything? Does it mean the admissions committee has met?

I think the 2 items arenindependent from each other but they meet on Mondays

Anyone accepted 2 weeks ago get their packet in the mail yet?
I live in Kentucky and it took about a week and a half to receive mine back in the day. I remember I was freaking out.
Go for it. Submit it soon. They won't interview for waitlist spots till at least February, possibly later this year because they cancelled the first couple interview dates.

Go for it. Submit it soon. They won't interview for waitlist spots till at least February, possibly later this year because they cancelled the first couple interview dates.

Awesome! That's good to know. I actually plan on getting it done tonight.

So.... last interview group heard back Tuesday and tomorrow is Tuesday and I will be having a lot of anxiety tonight and tomorrow lol

So.... last interview group heard back Tuesday and tomorrow is Tuesday and I will be having a lot of anxiety tonight and tomorrow lol
I wouldn't expect to hear tomorrow. I think they heard Tuesday because the university being shut down Wednesday - Friday. I would expect it to me more likely to hear around Thursday. Don't have too much anxiety here.

I wouldn't expect to hear tomorrow. I think they heard Tuesday because the university being shut down Wednesday - Friday. I would expect it to me more likely to hear around Thursday. Don't have too much anxiety here.
I forgot they had Thanksgiving break to worry about.... plus I am pretty sure both Friday and Saturday had interview dates planned so double the amount of phone calls maybe... Friday does seem more likely the more I think about it

I forgot they had Thanksgiving break to worry about.... plus I am pretty sure both Friday and Saturday had interview dates planned so double the amount of phone calls maybe... Friday does seem more likely the more I think about it
I have not a clue what you're going on about. There's always interviews Friday and Saturday and they meet on Monday to go over all candidates. If it was any inclination when 5 of us interviewed from the same school on one weekend it's in alphabetical order day doesn't matter, but it could be different.

I'm just saying the dean doesn't typically make calls on Tuesday, it's usually later in the week. I wouldn't be concerned if you don't hear anything tomorrow or Wednesday.

Just looked on the admissions (amp) portal and noticed there is now an offer tab where the deposit can be submitted.

I have not a clue what you're going on about. There's always interviews Friday and Saturday and they meet on Monday to go over all candidates. If it was any inclination when 5 of us interviewed from the same school on one weekend it's in alphabetical order day doesn't matter, but it could be different.

I'm just saying the dean doesn't typically make calls on Tuesday, it's usually later in the week. I wouldn't be concerned if you don't hear anything tomorrow or Wednesday.
Ohhhh I didn't know they interviewed Friday and Saturday every time.

There's actually like 5 gas stations within 2 miles of each other...

Wrote my secondaries last night and received a complete email tonight (at 2:00AM oddly enough).

Keeping my fingers crossed for an II :).

Got the call!! Literally had no words for the dean but thank you!

Reactions: 3 users