University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WhoisJohnGalt said:
Which gym?

The Health Club inside the Center for Healthy Living. It's just down the street.

aj114 said:
The Health Club inside the Center for Healthy Living. It's just down the street.

It's very nice, but expensive. There is a one-time $140 application fee and then it's $48 a month. Supposedly, we get discounts, but I'm not sure how much. Here's the website: Health Club

Members don't see this ad :)
aj114 said:
It's very nice, but expensive. There is a one-time $140 application fee and then it's $48 a month. Supposedly, we get discounts, but I'm not sure how much. Here's the website: Health Club

aka The Center for Wealthy Living :)

The sign up is steep, but every few months they waive the sign up fee for the month. They did it last October when I signed up and again in the spring sometime. The discounts are minimal. Despite their location, they are still a private business with no university affiliation or subsidies (that I know of). As an employee of OUHSC I pay $66 for my wife and I because I have the amount direct debited from my paycheck each month. Without direct debit and employee discount is was around $78, so $12/month savings....not great, but better than nothin' It is a nice facility and generally not too crowded (there is a lap pool).

Does anybody use the little weight room in the student center?

Also, just wondering who else is enrolled in the Aug. 2nd BLS class?

Cowboy_fan said:
Does anybody use the little weight room in the student center?

Also, just wondering who else is enrolled in the Aug. 2nd BLS class?

Got my conf. email for aug. 2nd....BLS here we come

if you live on the nw side of the city, check out the student membership at oklahoma athletic club off of memorial between penn and western. it's 89 bucks for 3 months, then 24.95 each month after. also there is no joining fee. some of the sales reps are jackasses, so if they are giving you crap, just go back m-f and ask for a guy named gordan. the gym is really nice and nobody goes there so it's uncrowded. i wasn't planning on having an outside gym membership during med school but this one is such a good deal i think i'll keep it if i stay on the nw side of the city.

Dr Turninkoff said:
if you live on the nw side of the city, check out the student membership at oklahoma athletic club off of memorial between penn and western. it's 89 bucks for 3 months, then 24.95 each month after. also there is no joining fee. some of the sales reps are jackasses, so if they are giving you crap, just go back m-f and ask for a guy named gordan. the gym is really nice and nobody goes there so it's uncrowded. i wasn't planning on having an outside gym membership during med school but this one is such a good deal i think i'll keep it if i stay on the nw side of the city.

They also just opened a new Aspen gym in/near Penn Mall too. It's affiliated with 24hr Fitness. I think they were $31-$33/mo. w/no sign up fee if you get the right person (i.e. some of them are a bit sus as well).

another ? guys - does anyone know what will be going on the 1st 2 weeks of classes - meaning any mini-exams or anything? a very very very close family friend of ours is getting married in Vancouver the weekend of Aug 26-27 and i would love to go for the weekend - do you guys think that's feasible or is it not a good idea? i'll study on the plane and in the airport bars!

No1Cub17 said:
another ? guys - does anyone know what will be going on the 1st 2 weeks of classes - meaning any mini-exams or anything? a very very very close family friend of ours is getting married in Vancouver the weekend of Aug 26-27 and i would love to go for the weekend - do you guys think that's feasible or is it not a good idea? i'll study on the plane and in the airport bars!

Have you received your schedules yet? You'll only have minis in biochem and anatomy. I would suggest contacting Leon and Dr Chung. Email addresses: [email protected] (biochem), [email protected] (anatomy). They can let you know what to expect. Additionally, I would suggest kicking the stuffing out of the minis as there are a good indicator on how well you'll do on the 1st exam.

ad_sharp said:
Have you received your schedules yet?

I haven't received a schedule yet. Should I have? (The Student Affairs office told me recently that at least one letter was returned to them from my perfectly good address marked "Undeliverable address", so I'm a bit nervous)

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I haven't received a schedule yet. Should I have? (The Student Affairs office told me recently that at least one letter was returned to them from my perfectly good address marked "Undeliverable address", so I'm a bit nervous)

It's not posted on Hippocrates yet. I would expect that you get it in the next couple of weeks.

WhoisJohnGalt said:

I haven't received a schedule yet, other than the pink sheet that came in my big packet in June...but it was only general dates (start date, breaks, test blocks, etc.). I bet the class schedule will come sometime this month. I wish they would come sooner. My husband is starting OU Law in August, and he got his class schedule back in early June. Oh, well. What can you do?

That sucks about a piece of your mail not being deliverable. Makes you wonder about the US postal system...should stamps really cost .37?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
speedo542 said:
I haven't received a schedule yet, other than the pink sheet that came in my big packet in June...but it was only general dates (start date, breaks, test blocks, etc.). I bet the class schedule will come sometime this month. I wish they would come sooner. My husband is starting OU Law in August, and he got his class schedule back in early June. Oh, well. What can you do?

That sucks about a piece of your mail not being deliverable. Makes you wonder about the US postal system...should stamps really cost .37?? :confused:

Here's your academic calander

Attachments

• 05-06 Academic Calendar.doc
    42 KB · Views: 120
Yeah, that's the one they already sent. Do they send the real schedules, like when we have class, what class when, etc. in the mail, or do they give it to us during orientation?

speedo542 said:
Yeah, that's the one they already sent. Do they send the real schedules, like when we have class, what class when, etc. in the mail, or do they give it to us during orientation?

We received ours via snail mail last year. I'll post the new schedule when they put it on hippocrates.

ad_sharp said:
We received ours via snail mail last year. I'll post the new schedule when they put it on hippocrates.

Heya ad_sharp...I just checked hippocrates, and fall 2005 schedules have been posted. Do you think you can post it on the board? Thanks a lot! :) btw...am I wrong for wanting to get this show on the road? maybe I need to just relax...it IS the summer.

iTam said:
Heya ad_sharp...I just checked hippocrates, and fall 2005 schedules have been posted. Do you think you can post it on the board? Thanks a lot! :) btw...am I wrong for wanting to get this show on the road? maybe I need to just relax...it IS the summer.

I also have that feeling of "wanting to get this show on the road."
However, I'll be sure to make the most of this summer before classes start, as all the current med students I know keep telling me to do so.

Hope you all have a great 4th of July! :)

Greetings from San Antonio! Just went to Schlitterbahn, rated one of the top waterparks in the world, and spending tomorrow at Seaworld.

I also made my first solo flight Thursday! Hopefully, I can get most of my private pilot cert. done before school starts, but either way it's going to be a great stress reliever once school does get underway.

Anyone know what room the BLS courses are being held? I put the date and time on the calendar, but apparently I didn't get the place.

Schlitterbahn is the shiznit. Four separate parks and 64 acres of slides makes the place as good as Diz-world's if not better. :thumbup:

Napoleon1801 said:
Anyone know what room the BLS courses are being held? I put the date and time on the calendar, but apparently I didn't get the place.

I can't find my piece of paper here either.

Where is it being held? :p

hey guys! hello from long island =)

back home using old school dial up (hehe finally found a good use for the 2 months free trial aol disk they keep sending me)...trying to convince my old folks to get DSL!

So, this past month was a rollercoaster ride.... put it short, my gf broke it off - she wasn't ready for a prolong relationship during medschool aka commitment phobia, we've been going out for 2.5 years, my first serious relationship ..sigh... :confused: was in the gutter for like 1-2 weeks and finally had the balls to cancel the flight to see her the night before... (one of the main reasons i'm going to OU is because of her...but hey no regrets, i came to love OU for more reasons than that now)

life goes on! maybe the man upstair has something better for me. :luck:

Went to live 8 for my last day in philadelphia!!! Camped out at 5am with my buddies... so we ended up right behind the stage hehehe (www.one.org). But yea, BON JOVI was awesome live...and ..LINKIN PARK...wow...

Now i just moved home from penn for good... getting ready for my trip...so i actually choose to do a cross country US trek to see all of my good friends instead of cozumel & europe (that can wait next summer)!

Can't wait to start a new chapter of my life! See you guys real soon.

lfesiam said:
hey guys! hello from long island =)

back home using old school dial up (hehe finally found a good use for the 2 months free trial aol disk they keep sending me)...trying to convince my old folks to get DSL!

So, this past month was a rollercoaster ride.... put it short, my gf broke it off - she wasn't ready for a prolong relationship during medschool aka commitment phobia, we've been going out for 2.5 years, my first serious relationship ..sigh... :confused: was in the gutter for like 1-2 weeks and finally had the balls to cancel the flight to see her the night before... (one of the main reasons i'm going to OU is because of her...but hey no regrets, i came to love OU for more reasons than that now)

life goes on! maybe the man upstair has something better for me. :luck:

Went to live 8 for my last day in philadelphia!!! Camped out at 5am with my buddies... so we ended up right behind the stage hehehe (www.one.org). But yea, BON JOVI was awesome live...and ..LINKIN PARK...wow...

Now i just moved home from penn for good... getting ready for my trip...so i actually choose to do a cross country US trek to see all of my good friends instead of cozumel & europe (that can wait next summer)!

Can't wait to start a new chapter of my life! See you guys real soon.

Up top for using dial-up... I just moved into my new apartment and they're not turning our DSL on for another week :(

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend, but in the long run, it's probably better to start this without her if everything everyone's said about relationships in med school is true. She may have saved you the heartache fo a long drawn out breakup during school, and that's going to be the last thing you need next year. All the same though, my condolences.

Have a safe trip, and see you in a month!

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Up top for using dial-up... I just moved into my new apartment and they're not turning our DSL on for another week :(

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriend, but in the long run, it's probably better to start this without her if everything everyone's said about relationships in med school is true. She may have saved you the heartache fo a long drawn out breakup during school, and that's going to be the last thing you need next year. All the same though, my condolences.

Have a safe trip, and see you in a month!

Can't agree more. If your relationship isn't rock solid on both ends, it will ineveitably dissolve during medical school. Better for it to happen before, than to try to deal with it during.

Still sorry to hear about it though. Was engaged once, and she broke it off. Sucks I know. In hindsight, I'm now married with two kids and in a relationship that I have no doubts will survive med school, residency and whatever life throws at us. It is only now that I can look back and see how the first was much shakier than I could see at the time.

My best advice, don't try to continue the relationship, or let her try to reestablish the relationship at a later date. By the simple action that she has taken, she has proven that she is not prepared to accompany you through what will be an arduous adventure, and you should take it as a blessing that you've been "cut free", rather than drug along.

thanks oudoc, whoisjohngalt,

yea it's still hard & painful sometime for me, since I planned to make it work during medschool, i was going to visit her 2-3 times a month (only a 3.5 hours drive to her place from ouhsc & southwest flys there for 80 bucks round trip...& her family lives like 20mins away from ouhsc), I even mailed her a little something (ie. flowers, funny&goofy things, etc) every week to remind her that I was thinking of her...(did long distance for 4 months, no problems then)..... cooked for her, took her out, did everything, never cheated on her......she even said i was the perfect boyfriend and it's just her and not me...i'm like ok....whatever man....one day she was all like yea..i want to marry you someday....and all of a sudden, things just changed...(her reason was "i don't know, i just know that I don't feel like being in a relationship anymore, i just want to be friends"....maybe it's another guy or just a lost of interest but truthfully, i don't really care...because I came to accept the fact that the girl I used to love is gone...)

all i can say is that i'm glad it happended before I start medschool, that i can give her credit for....

sorry for babbling and venting on the forum =), i promise this will be my last post on this topic!!!!!!

oh I got my email confirmation for aug 2nd BLS class! i'll be flying in to OKC on Aug. 1st to sign the lease at Univ Village on campus, I have a question though for you old guys =) is the place where we'll be taking the BLS class walkable from Univ Village???? (if it's not, i'll probably have to get a bike first) I won't have my car until aug 11...so i guess i'll be living off the student center for a while hahaha, that and ordering stuffs/food online...hmmm i should order some omaha steaks and cook it on my foreman grill...yum...

iTam said:

It won't let me download the files. It says that they won't be available for download until August 1st. :thumbdown:

lfesiam said:
oh I got my email confirmation for aug 2nd BLS class! i'll be flying in to OKC on Aug. 1st to sign the lease at Univ Village on campus, I have a question though for you old guys =) is the place where we'll be taking the BLS class walkable from Univ Village???? (if it's not, i'll probably have to get a bike first) I won't have my car until aug 11...so i guess i'll be living off the student center for a while hahaha, that and ordering stuffs/food online...hmmm i should order some omaha steaks and cook it on my foreman grill...yum...

Sorry about your loss. It probably doesn't mean much now but....When school gets here, you'll be surrounded by a whole new group of people that are understanding and supportive of your life circumstances. I can honestly say that I'm surrounded by some of the best individuals that I've ever met. Don't be discouraged. A whole new huge opportunity is right around the corner for you. As a married man, I can say that your significant other is by far the biggest "x factor" that will determine your success in med school-you don't want someone who isn't serious. You may have experienced a loss, but you'll make tons of new gains in the coming months-just be open to them.

On a lighter note, the BLS class should be held in the BSEB. I think that they had it in one of the 2nd floor conference rooms last year. You can walk from the apartment. You'll be making that same walk every morning.

Amxcvbcv said:
I can't find my piece of paper here either.

Where is it being held? :p

The class is in BSEB (basic science ed. building) at 6, room 128.

Took him a week, but he finally emailed me back. :thumbup:

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Man, am I going to be the only one in the July 19 class? :(

haha, i'm definitely the only one in the class tomorrow (july 7) i just signed up yesterday and there were still spots open. might as well get it over with.

Dr Turninkoff said:
haha, i'm definitely the only one in the class tomorrow (july 7) i just signed up yesterday and there were still spots open. might as well get it over with.

I'll be there tomorrow. :)

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Man, am I going to be the only one in the July 19 class? :(
No, I'll be there too!

Dr Turninkoff said:
sounds like a party then

Well, I guess now I'm BLS certified, for what it's worth. ;)

I'm guessing you were there, Dr. Turninkoff. I didn't have the balls to stand up and say, "Is Dr. Turninkoff from SDN here?" :laugh:

I'm sure you saw me, though. ;)

Amxcvbcv said:
Well, I guess now I'm BLS certified, for what it's worth. ;)

I'm guessing you were there, Dr. Turninkoff. I didn't have the balls to stand up and say, "Is Dr. Turninkoff from SDN here?" :laugh:

I'm sure you saw me, though. ;)

haha yeah, i should have announced it to the class to see what SDNers were around. to put a face with a name, i was sitting in the back row with a pink polo. at orientation we'll have to set up an SDN get together so everyone can say "hi, i'm dr turninkoff/cricket/napoleon etc..." uhh yeah, i'll think twice the next time i choose an online name. never thought i'd be meeting anyone from the boards when i signed up. just for the sake of seeing potential mod groups, my last name is Jaeger. if like i hear they are arranged alphabetically, any Is, Js, or Ks might be with me.

Dr Turninkoff said:
haha yeah, i should have announced it to the class to see what SDNers were around. to put a face with a name, i was sitting in the back row with a pink polo. at orientation we'll have to set up an SDN get together so everyone can say "hi, i'm dr turninkoff/cricket/napoleon etc..." uhh yeah, i'll think twice the next time i choose an online name. never thought i'd be meeting anyone from the boards when i signed up. just for the sake of seeing potential mod groups, my last name is Jaeger. if like i hear they are arranged alphabetically, any Is, Js, or Ks might be with me.

It is really wierd to meet peope from sdn in real life. Oudoc and I met about a year before school started on sdn. When we met, I remember thinking "wait a second, you don't look anything like I thought you would." We should all get together in early august and go eat or something. Oudoc and I can scare the crap out of all of you and bring the stress level up a little before school starts :D

Dr Turninkoff said:

I think that would be pretty cool if all the SDNers got together. Im living in Enid this summer so its not to far of a drive. Maybe we should look at one of the days just before orientation so that all the vacationers can make it. Also, my last name is Layton which is fairly close to Jaeger, but you never know. Do we get a list of future classmates before school starts?

Cowboy_fan said:
I think that would be pretty cool if all the SDNers got together. Im living in Enid this summer so its not to far of a drive. Maybe we should look at one of the days just before orientation so that all the vacationers can make it. Also, my last name is Layton which is fairly close to Jaeger, but you never know. Do we get a list of future classmates before school starts?

I don't remember getting a list, but at orientation they'll take everyone's picture for your student ids. They put those pictures into a .pdf file and post them on hippocrates with your name. I used it a lot at the beginning of school to figure out who was who. Btw, my last name is sharp (a real shocker, right?)

We should all be receiving our mentor/mentee lists soon.

WhoisJohnGalt said:
My last name is Shaw if there are any S's about. On an unrelated note, they trust you guys to mentor us? :laugh:

Mentor........give bad advice......it's really all the same thing. Because our last names are very close alphabetically, I could be paired with you. A good relationship with your second year can be very helpful (especially in the first test block). I didn't talk to my mentor much but others in the mod received books, study aids, and advice from their mentors. I don't think that they trust us at all, but other schools do this so it's expected. At any rate, when you find out who your mentor is, you should email them immediately and send them $50. :thumbup:

Dr Turninkoff said:

I remember the pink polo! LoL, guess we chickens are just going to have to wait til orientation to finally figure out who's who?

I'm Charles Beavers btw if there's anyone near the front of the alphabet out there. :D

My last name is Meyer...any M's...? I just spent a week in Colorado visiting my bf, and man, does it suck to come back to the humid inferno that is Oklahoma!

Anybody else disappointed by the mailing we got today? I got all excited by the big packet, and it was basically "please excuse our modest tuition increases and all the information you want will be in our next mailing". I thought it was lame. Oh well. :rolleyes:

hey i'm down with a SDN get together! i wonder what you all look like in real life =)

hey oudoc, ad_sharp, thanks for all the advice (both school & personal) you gave me through out the process since the beginning of the year =) i'll promise to buy a round or lunch for you guys sometime!

my last name is sukumvanich, yep i'm the token diversity guy :laugh:

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Anybody else disappointed by the mailing we got today? I got all excited by the big packet, and it was basically "please excuse our modest tuition increases and all the information you want will be in our next mailing". I thought it was lame. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I agree, this "need to know basis" crap is somewhat annoying. I was happy to see the mentor form and hear about the pre-orientation they're going to hold though. :thumbup: Lol, I guess not enough people signed up for that family practice workshop, seeing as how they've extended the app deadline. If I wasn't working already, it looks like it might have been interesting, but it sounds like its just family doc shadowing.

I heard some talk about a family med interest group on campus that teaches you how to run IV's and learn how to poke. Sharp or OUdoc, do know much about it?

Napoleon1801 said:
I agree, this "need to know basis" crap is somewhat annoying. I was happy to see the mentor form and hear about the pre-orientation they're going to hold though. :thumbup: Lol, I guess not enough people signed up for that family practice workshop, seeing as how they've extended the app deadline. If I wasn't working already, it looks like it might have been interesting, but it sounds like its just family doc shadowing.

I heard some talk about a family med interest group on campus that teaches you how to run IV's and learn how to poke. Sharp or OUdoc, do know much about it?

I thought about signing up for it, but family medicine isn't really one of the specialties that interests me.

I didn't want to dive in just to have another line on my resume.

Amxcvbcv said:
I thought about signing up for it, but family medicine isn't really one of the specialties that interests me.

I didn't want to dive in just to have another line on my resume.

There are tons of interest groups for each various specialty, and most people go to their lunch hour meetings for the free food (usually pizza) or do participate in the various things they offer. For example, last year the Fam. Med. interest group (FMIG) offered IV/phleb clinic, and the the surgery interest group (SIG) and the FMIG both offered suture clinics.

My primary interest is emergency medicine, and last year I acted as the
"unofficial" clinical coordinator, and set up a ride-along program with EMSA, the EMS service here in the OKC area. This year, I actually have an official position with the emergency medicine interest group (EMIG) as "activities coordinator", and plan on offering, in addition to the ambulance ride-along program, an advanced airway clinic, teaching oral and nasal ET intubation, as well as some other invasive techniques.

In sum, you don't need to even have a slight interest in a particular specialty in order to take advantage of its skills clinics, programs, and most of all, free food.

A bit of advice, don't eat any Papa Johns pizza until school starts. You'll eat it just about every day at one of the above mentioned interest group lunch hours. A few pitas, a few subways, but for the most part, pizza.

lfesiam said:
my last name is sukumvanich, yep i'm the token diversity guy :laugh:

haha, my last name is sagdeo - so there's a bit of diversity in oklahoma after all! also just wondering where everyone's living? i got an apt in Moore with a friend from OU - he's going to grad school there, so right in the middle for both of us. i know there's at least a few ppl on here who are living in Moore right? (ambcv?) and what's this mailing y'all just got? i guess the pony express is a little slow to reach MI...

No1Cub17 said:
what's this mailing y'all just got? i guess the pony express is a little slow to reach MI...

Not much to it really:

Tuition fee paper
Another invite to a family med program
Pre-orientation night