University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are y'alls thoughts on TCOM vs. UTRGV? Am I crazy for thinking I'd rather go to TCOM?
I'm battling this same decision. I love Fort Worth and the school/rotation sites, but I have a friend who is having trouble with the 8-5 schedule at TCOM. That is the main thing that concerns me about them. I'm not sure if I want to deal with that hectic schedule. RGV being a new school and not having cadavers for anatomy are my concerns for them. Right now I have RGV ranked higher just because the city is closer to my hometown and family, but I might end up ranking TCOM higher before January 20.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm battling this same decision. I love Fort Worth and the school/rotation sites, but I have a friend who is having trouble with the 8-5 schedule at TCOM. That is the main thing that concerns me about them. I'm not sure if I want to deal with that hectic schedule. RGV being a new school and not having cadavers for anatomy are my concerns for them. Right now I have RGV ranked higher just because the city is closer to my hometown and family, but I might end up ranking TCOM higher before January 20.

Most of the school's ambassadors and random students told me they did not go to class besides the mandatory group stuff. Take it for what it's worth, but I don't plan to attend class. The classroom I saw on my tour date was very sparse, like a dozen people in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am totally not seeing that link anywhere. Could it have anything to do with my first interview was only last week?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

It takes a bit of time. That's what the previous posts seem to suggest. Here's what it says on my rank page.

"As you complete interviews, new unranked schools will appear in the list below. Please check back for new schools to rank. You must update ALL your preferences by 5:00 PM Friday, January 20, 2017 (Central Time).

Note: Schools will appear in this list as soon as admissions offices at the school update this system. There may be a delay between the time your interview is completed and the time the system is updated. "

Members don't see this ad :)

FWIW, the 8-5 schedule is not truly mandatory. I found that trying to keep up with it (along with all the studying) REALLY stressed me out so I just started teaching myself everything, and I've been very happy with that decision.

Reactions: 2 users
Uhhh, I interviewed only at TCOM and completely did not rank my preference until I saw your post. I stupidly thought that it would be rank #1 because it's my only school. Damn it, I was hoping for a miracle match in December, but looks like I'll be in limbo like everybody else until February...

The ranking won't affect whether or not you get a prematch offer; only if you'll match. Keep your fingers crossed! I've got a friend that was only able to interview at TCOM this whole cycle in October and hasn't heard anything back, so you're not alone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The ranking won't affect whether or not you get a prematch offer; only if you'll match. Keep your fingers crossed! I've got a friend that was only able to interview at TCOM this whole cycle in October and hasn't heard anything back, so you're not alone!

You're wrong. I just got an acceptance offer at 10:04 via email this morning! Kidding aside, THANK YOU. I really think seeing your ranking post and doing it made the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWWWWW YEAHHHHH staying local and not having to move away from my gf, family, AND my super cheap apartment!

Reactions: 6 users
You're wrong. I just got an acceptance offer at 10:04 via email this morning! Kidding aside, THANK YOU. I really think seeing your ranking post and doing it made the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWWWWW YEAHHHHH staying local and not having to move away from my gf, family, AND my super cheap apartment!
Congrats!!! When did you interview?

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Also accepted this morning - interviewed on 11/18.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a call for an II. Didn't know they were still sending those out.

Ok, for anyone else wondering, Caroline from admissions emailed me this morning.

"Your ranking wouldn’t have any impact, we can’t see those. It will prevent you from losing your seat prior to match though! You have to rank the schools you interview at as a TX resident so they can do the match process, if you hadn’t ranked us by the deadline TMDSAS would inform us you’d failed to do a ranking and we’d rescind our acceptance. "

Is it safe to assume I have been waitlisted or rejected since I interviewed on 11/4 and my portal still says your application is under review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it safe to assume I have been waitlisted or rejected since I interviewed on 11/4 and my portal still says your application is under review?

I interviewed in July and was under review for months until pre-match day. Don't assume you've been waitlisted/rejected yet. There's still match day!

I interviewed in July and was under review for months until pre-match day. Don't assume you've been waitlisted/rejected yet. There's still match day!
Thanks for the uplifting info, I hope I'm in the same boat as you! I really want to go to school here

Thanks for the uplifting info, I hope I'm in the same boat as you! I really want to go to school here
Match day is when the bulk of the acceptances will be sent out! I'm not too sure how pre-match heavy this school is, but don't worry too much about rejections/waitlists until match day! Best of luck

Ok, for anyone else wondering, Caroline from admissions emailed me this morning.

"Your ranking wouldn’t have any impact, we can’t see those. It will prevent you from losing your seat prior to match though! You have to rank the schools you interview at as a TX resident so they can do the match process, if you hadn’t ranked us by the deadline TMDSAS would inform us you’d failed to do a ranking and we’d rescind our acceptance. "

Major, major congratulations!!! I look forward to learning beside you! Those still waiting: don't assume the worst if you haven't heard back yet. They continually review apps until it's over!

Match day is when the bulk of the acceptances will be sent out! I'm not too sure how pre-match heavy this school is, but don't worry too much about rejections/waitlists until match day! Best of luck

They told me about 50% of the class gets pre-matched.

@DocEllen and @Blessthefall I would like to thank you these 2 people for providing words of encouragement after I have interviewed here at TCOM. I checked my e-mail this morning, and I also pre-matched into the school :D

Reactions: 4 users
@DocEllen and @Blessthefall I would like to thank you these 2 people for providing words of encouragement after I have interviewed here at TCOM. I checked my e-mail this morning, and I also pre-matched into the school :D

That's so awesome!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!! It's my pleasure to extend words of encouragement! I'm definitely going to be making an appearance at the nightly socials during orientation week and would love to meet you all there!

"Under review" means that your application is still being considered! I believe "application reviewed" is the designation for a rejection.

"Under review" means that your application is still being considered! I believe "application reviewed" is the designation for a rejection.
Or "application reviewed" could be eligible for the match.

Hey would you mind sharing your stats/when you interviewed?

For those that prematched already - how did you find out? Was it updated on the MyUNT portal, did you receive a call or email?

For those that prematched already - how did you find out? Was it updated on the MyUNT portal, did you receive a call or email?

I received an e-mail. After that, they said they will send me my acceptance letter through the mail. Also, the UNT portal is updated.

Reactions: 3 users
I pre-matched back in November, but just wanted to post and let my future fellow classmates know that I am looking forward to meeting you all :D I am excited! Really loved the atmosphere here and all the people I met during my interview day were awesome!!!!!

I pre-matched back in November, but just wanted to post and let my future fellow classmates know that I am looking forward to meeting you all :D I am excited! Really loved the atmosphere here and all the people I met during my interview day were awesome!!!!!

Likewise! Welcome aboard!

Received the Dean's Scholarship offer today through email in case anyone wanted to know if/when they send out scholarships

Reactions: 2 users
Received the Dean's Scholarship offer today through email in case anyone wanted to know if/when they send out scholarships
Did you finish the scholarship application or was it just offered to you?

Damn, congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like?

Damn, congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like?

My LizzM is around a 74-75. It was just a small scholarship though (but every little bit helps). From my understanding accepted students are considered for this scholarship only but that there are plenty of other scholarships that become available after the match and once you're a current student.

Does anyone know if this school is still offering interviews? Still hopeful, haha.

All I see on my applicant status is "your application has been received." I don't see anything about it being reviewed and it was complete Aug 23. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Does anyone know when orientation is and when classes are supposed to start in July?

Trying to plan vacation before school starts!

Does anyone know when orientation is and when classes are supposed to start in July?

Last year classes started on the 18th and orientation was the 11th and that seems to be the norm. I wouldn't plan on anything after July 10th this year just to be safe.

Last year classes started on the 18th and orientation was the 11th and that seems to be the norm. I wouldn't plan on anything after July 10th this year just to be safe.

Is there a break between orientation and the first day of classes then?

Is there a break between orientation and the first day of classes then?
No. Monday-Thursday orientation, Saturday white coat ceremony then Monday 8am classes begin

I think the exact dates might be on the website.

Pre-match offer of admission on December 19th, and I officially sent in my acceptance letter yesterday! Orientation starts July 10th, and I would probably make sure to leave a few days beforehand open in case you need to do anything prior to orientation.

Any other prematch offers recently??

Does anyone know the address to send final transcripts to? TCOM requests for us to submit transcripts directly to them in addition to TMDSAS.

I called and was told that they might interview until mid-Feb this year.
That sounds good but isn't match list rankings due in mid-January? I thought that concluded the interview season for TX schools.

That sounds good but isn't match list rankings due in mid-January? I thought that concluded the interview season for TX schools.

Not necessarily as the waitlist experiences activity all the way to the week before matriculation

Hey guys! I've been reading all of the comments here on sdn for a while and I'd like to say thank you to all of you for all of your words of encouragement and advice! I was recently pre-matched here at TCOM and was wondering if the currents students could help me out with financial aid information. I've applied using the general application and all internal applications. Is there elsewhere I can look for more help? And another thing, is the Dean's scholarship something I can apply for?

Does anyone know whether texas school are still giving out interviews? Thanks in advance