University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think he meant dual booting windows or installing linux onto the MBP, but don't think we can do that since we take tests on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
waitlisted.. anybody know about movement from here? how many might make it on off the waitlist or what % of the class usually comes from the waitlist?

I don't post on here frequently, to be honest almost never, but I figured I would post to give others hope. So I think I was waitlisted around December 4 (I don't actually know the exact date I was waitlisted because I did not get a letter or an email to inform me of my status) and was offered admission on December 13. I was stunned at how fast I got off the waitlist so I figure they are frequently reviewing applicants from the waitlist and offering them spots as soon as they can. But who really knows anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't post on here frequently, to be honest almost never, but I figured I would post to give others hope. So I think I was waitlisted around December 4 (I don't actually know the exact date I was waitlisted because I did not get a letter or an email to inform me of my status) and was offered admission on December 13. I was stunned at how fast I got off the waitlist so I figure they are frequently reviewing applicants from the waitlist and offering them spots as soon as they can. But who really knows anyway.
Is it possible to be waitlised before match day?

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to be waitlised before match day?

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Whoops! I forgot to mention that I am an OOS as well. So my experience could be different than an IS and I am pretty sure match day was kind of irrelevant for me.

I got an email as well. Did yours explicitly say you were on the waitlist, or that your application is still under review? Thanks!

Kind of says both: application is still under review, we will be comparing the match list and wait list. Good luck to everyone!

DO NOT buy your own Mac before you start school. You will definitely not be reimbursed. As far as installing another OS, that's also not possible because of our testing software. Sorry! Just get a desktop for home like I did if you want a Windows PC. I'm also not a Mac person, but I actually don't mind them because it allows me to separate my school and gaming stuff by having my Mac and PC Desktop.

DO NOT buy your own Mac before you start school. You will definitely not be reimbursed. As far as installing another OS, that's also not possible because of our testing software. Sorry! Just get a desktop for home like I did if you want a Windows PC. I'm also not a Mac person, but I actually don't mind them because it allows me to separate my school and gaming stuff by having my Mac and PC Desktop.

Good to know. I'm mostly just trolling Blessthefall. I will put a windows sticker on it though.

Got a wait list letter dated February 3.
OOS
3.76 GPA
3.86 sGPA
30 MCAT

Can't wait to begin here this coming fall :)

Got a wait list letter dated February 3.
OOS
3.76 GPA
3.86 sGPA
30 MCAT

Sucks for OOS applicants, Texas has to legally save 90% of available seats each year for residents. Hopefully you've got other offers considering your stats. I'd think you'd be a sure thing at any DO school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know when the grad plus loan app will open up for the 2017-2018 school year?

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students: When do we normally hear about financial aid awards and loans? I know they are normally disbursed around orientation day, but I'm just trying to figure out when I might know how much TCOM can provide me in scholarships and federal loans before I start looking at private loans.

Apartment hunting right now but afraid to sign anything in case of waitlist movement. When are most of y'all planning on signing leases?

Apartment hunting right now but afraid to sign anything in case of waitlist movement. When are most of y'all planning on signing leases?

I'm thinking of signing early June. I haven't started looking yet. I'm going to need student loan money to relocate.

How are the rent prices looking? They seems like reasonable rates compared to Houston. I only searched online and my only time visiting Ft. Worth was interview day.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of signing early June. I haven't started looking yet. I'm going to need student loan money to relocate.

How are the rent prices looking? They seems like reasonable rates compared to Houston. I only searched online and my only time visiting Ft. Worth was interview day.

I did a brief search online for a single bedroom and they're about $1000 for a decent place (good location, clean, washer/dryer inside). I have a feeling there are many apartments near campus that don't show up online and would take a visit to find the best deals

I was living much more cheaply living inside the loop in Houston. Also, being in a place so dense with universities/hospitals, I literally had grad students and residents as neighbors. It was awesome paying 640 a month and being a mile away from the Houston med center.

Anyways, TCOM is in a nice location of Fort Worth and it's expensive living walking distance to school unless you don't mind some of the more rundown complexes. It can definitely get to $950+ a month w/o utilities if you want to live super close. Some of the cheaper places by TCOM aren't kept up well because they know you're paying for location. I scoured all the complexes around TCOM and only 1-2 places has caught my eyes that are below $950.

The most reasonable thing would be to look 5 miles west of TCOM towards the Ridgmar Mall area and you can see places in the very low 700s that aren't as rundown. Plenty of TCOM students live there, because I got the idea from the facebook page and my own interview tour guide. South of TCOM is near TCU and I don't want to deal with that crowd and the traffic during the school year. North of TCOM has a few places, but nothing eye catching to me and away from conveniences like a shopping center. East of TCOM has a place or two I like, but if I get further west of 35W, traffic will be a huge problem.

That's my 2 cents right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I would wait until late May or June to start seriously hunting for apartments/living accomodations. A lot of spaces open up when TCU students move out after the semester's conclusion (TCU is about 10 minutes from UNTHSC). You can also look for houses for rent to share with fellow classmates - those end being a whole lot less expensive, and there are many options near campus. Lots of really cute duplexes and 2-3 bedroom houses nearby :)

And, if you're in the TCOM Facebook group, there are a lot of current students there who can give you some good areas to look at. I live in southwest Fort Worth, which is a good 20-30 minutes from campus depending on the traffic, but the rent price tag is a lot nicer there lol.

I'm itching to move! I'm giving my 60 days notice next week and hopefully be out in Fort Worth right before June.

Anyone knows the lowest MCAT this school accepted recently?

I remember some of the old numbers back when they still post them. It ranged from 22-40 for the three years that were posted. I think it must have been 2012, 2013, 2014?

Are there any current students that may have ever had an issue with orientation dates? I am currently in the Med Sci program and have already been through the orientation basically, and I have a family thing that was planned a year ago, but the admissions director was being very hard on allowing me to miss a couple days. Basically he said if I didn't come to orientation then I couldn't go to their school, which I thought was kind of harsh. Is there anyone else I can talk to?

One of their faculty gave a presentation last semester at my school and the new MCAT average was 504.xx. He even made it a point to mention that a few of the top students had MCAT scores under their average.

Match list up yet for 2017? Apparently someone matched neurosurgery at Mayo for 2017!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, first time posting. I've been regularly checking this forum, anticipating TCOM rejection this entire semester. Turns out I got a waitlist interview, but was not given any detail about this. Does anyone know of this happening in previous app cycles, or have any advice about TCOM interviews in general?

Also, I've heard there's a lot of waitlist movement for TCOM. If anyone has had personal experience with being moved from waitlist (time they were moved, etc) any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, first time posting. I've been regularly checking this forum, anticipating TCOM rejection this entire semester. Turns out I got a waitlist interview, but was not given any detail about this. Does anyone know of this happening in previous app cycles, or have any advice about TCOM interviews in general?

Also, I've heard there's a lot of waitlist movement for TCOM. If anyone has had personal experience with being moved from waitlist (time they were moved, etc) any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

It seems like there are interviews going on at TCOM today, which must be waitlist interviews. I had never heard of that happening either, but it's pretty cool! There is generally a lot of movement on the waitlist, sometimes even up until the week before classes start (just before orientation). I got off the waitlist in April, but there seemed to be a steady stream of people getting in off the waitlist after that as well. Good luck to you!

Had you had an interview prior to this?

Do y'all think sending in an additional req letter from a DO is useful to get off the waitlist? I didn't have one when I first applied but now I have one!

Do y'all think sending in an additional req letter from a DO is useful to get off the waitlist? I didn't have one when I first applied but now I have one!
Yep, I would send in the letter.

Who is going to MyHSC day on April 08?

Is this school friendly for OOSers? (NY Resident). Its always hard for me to tell because there is no MSAR for DO schools

Is this school friendly for OOSers? (NY Resident). Its always hard for me to tell because there is no MSAR for DO schools
By law, TX schools can only accept 10% OOS so it's usually an uphill battle.

Did they talk about financial aid packages/ when they would be sending them out, at the myHSC thing today?

Perhaps if you were from Utah. I notice a lot of BYU alumni.

Did they talk about financial aid packages/ when they would be sending them out, at the myHSC thing today?
They said to expect them late April/early May.

Anything on the technology package? They haven't updated it on the website unless we're getting the same thing as last year. I had work today even though I signed up :(.

Anything on the technology package? They haven't updated it on the website unless we're getting the same thing as last year. I had work today even though I signed up :(.

No update to the technology package yet. A rep from financial aid alluded that the entire orientation page would be updated by the end of this month which includes the technology package. I don't see them issuing us an obsolete iPad. I for one just hope that both the laptop and tablet will be Apple though.

No update to the technology package yet. A rep from financial aid alluded that the entire orientation page would be updated by the end of this month which includes the technology package. I don't see them issuing us an obsolete iPad. I for one just hope that both the laptop and tablet will be Apple though.

They'll be both Apple products for sure. I just wanted to read up on which MBP model we'll be getting since Apple changed it up recently.

They'll be both Apple products for sure. I just wanted to read up on which MBP model we'll be getting since Apple changed it up recently.

I highly doubt that it'll be the most recent model of the MBP with the touch bar. I don't foresee the lack of USB being of benefit to anyone. Dumb move by Apple overall, I will admit.

Does anyone have an idea how many spots have been filled on the roster? Still waitlisted and just no idea where I stand

Does anyone have an idea how many spots have been filled on the roster? Still waitlisted and just no idea where I stand
They will probably start pulling off the waitlist later this month or next, based on past years. There is no way for anyone to really know how many spots are filled.