University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current students who wouldn't mind if I asked a few questions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if we submitted and were complete back in June but out portal still says that my application is "Received" is it safe to assume a rejection is coming?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm curious how long would TCOM tell us post-interview if they reject us. For some reason, I think I did rather poorly on my interview. I understand that this is only 1 dimension to my application.

I'm curious how long would TCOM tell us post-interview if they reject us. For some reason, I think I did rather poorly on my interview. I understand that this is only 1 dimension to my application.

I thought I did poorly on my interview as well. I felt like I was not able to present myself in the best light. It was probably a lot of second-guessing because I received a pre-match from here. So try not to overthink it. I am sure you did better than you think you did.

My second interviewer grilled me and threw questions my way that I could not have prepared for and fought to articulate an answer. It was enough to leave me with a sense of uncertainty afterward but I pre-matched. It's easy to assume the worst but don't give up hope!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
How long between interview and prematch for those that have been accepted early?

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Thanks guys for the hope. :D It is so hard to stay positive. I'm banking on my cognitive score. Hopefully my 2nd interview will make up for the one that I mess up on :/ Congratz to all who have been accepted thus far :D

I think my interviews went well. Awesome well respected and competitive school.

Last edited:
did people already get their acceptance packets in the mail?

did people already get their acceptance packets in the mail?

I received a letter of acceptance like a week and a half ago that I signed and sent back. Is that what you meant by the acceptance packet?

How long between interview and prematch for those that have been accepted early?

Well from the orientation, they said it takes about 3-4 weeks in order for them to assess your application for accepted, waitlisted, or rejection. So I would expect pre-matching to be the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes! I haven't gotten that yet :/

Reach out to either Caroline or the admissions dept. That's odd for you to get the acceptance email and not receive the letter in the mail by now if you're IS.

Reach out to either Caroline or the admissions dept. That's odd for you to get the acceptance email and not receive the letter in the mail by now if you're IS.

Oh I'm technically IS but i live out of state right now so my mailing address for the next few months is different from my "permanent" one

Are they still giving out interviews?

My application has been complete for 5 months (OOS) but still says "Received" for the status. I know that the "application has been reviewed" is a sign rejections are coming, is this the same? I thought that after the IS match was done etc. it might get reviewed but nothing. Should I be concerned? I only completed the TMDSAS because of this school, one of my top choices so I'm starting to worry :(

Are they still giving out interviews?

Call and ask. Last time I asked about four weeks ago, they said they would be interviewing in December and the website does state interviews go out as late as January.

To all who have received pre-match offers, does signing and returning the admissions agreement form serve as an agreement to attend the school? Or does it just acknowledge that you have received the acceptance?

To all who have received pre-match offers, does signing and returning the admissions agreement form serve as an agreement to attend the school? Or does it just acknowledge that you have received the acceptance?

It means you are taking the acceptance offered by TCOM.

It means you are taking the acceptance offered by TCOM.

So does this mean that if I want to wait to hear back from other schools and wait for the match, there will not be a guaranteed acceptance from TCOM at the match?

So does this mean that if I want to wait to hear back from other schools and wait for the match, there will not be a guaranteed acceptance from TCOM at the match?

ImageUploadedBySDN1481139842.787467.jpg

You can accept TCOM's offer while waiting for other schools without any recourse. See TMDSAS screenshot.

Okay, so there is no reason that I should choose to decline it unless I knew that I wouldn't be choosing TCOM (which is definitely not the case)

Exactly. You only decline if you're certain that you don't want to attend TCOM.

Wait, I'm not rejected to TCOM if it shows up in my TMDSAS app right? lol. I see it on my ranking list

Wait, I'm not rejected to TCOM if it shows up in my TMDSAS app right? lol. I see it on my ranking list
This just means a prematch decision has not been made at this point. I'm in the same boat.

This just means a prematch decision has not been made at this point. I'm in the same boat.

Yes, @jtr0024 and @Magic :D when it is time to submit your rankings to TMSDAS, go ahead and rank your true choices, in order, of any schools at which you have interviewed. If you have not received a definite rejection you are still in the running.

Thanks @jtr0024 and @wysdoc for the quick response. Man I see you everywhere @wysdoc. How you have time for us poor pre-med souls, I have no idea. But I do appreciate it.

If you have not received a definite rejection you are still in the running.
LOL you are still in the running to become the next medical student. idk why I remember Tyra Banks

so if you see "Application under review" after interview...for how many days should I worry that I wouldn't be getting in?

so if you see "Application under review" after interview...for how many days should I worry that I wouldn't be getting in?
well in orientation, they did say it takes 3-4 weeks for them to determine your application among the committee. Also, if it is under review, your application is not rejected yet. So :D

well in orientation, they did say it takes 3-4 weeks for them to determine your application among the committee. Also, if it is under review, your application is not rejected yet. So :D
orientation as in interview day ?

Did everyone that interviewed get a TCOM News Feature email?

ya- trying to find meaning towards an acceptance lol
I wrote all about how I wanted to do peds in my PS... then I saw the end of the email that's like if you're interested in PEDS this might interest you... I'm like oh so this is a mass email thanks TCOM

Reactions: 3 users
I wrote all about how I wanted to do peds in my PS... then I saw the end of the email that's like if you're interested in PEDS this might interest you... I'm like oh so this is a mass email thanks TCOM

haha. mass email, I'm just curious who all is on the email list. You prematch?

What are y'alls thoughts on TCOM vs. UTRGV? Am I crazy for thinking I'd rather go to TCOM?

What are y'alls thoughts on TCOM vs. UTRGV? Am I crazy for thinking I'd rather go to TCOM?
Not at all crazy. I have TCOM ranked higher than UTRGV on my TMDSAS.

Reactions: 2 users
Not at all crazy. I have TCOM ranked higher than UTRGV on my TMDSAS.

I really liked Fort Worth, the campus building, and the rotation sites for TCOM. The match list looked decent.

Edit-replied to wrong comment.

Enter your application--> school rank preference

Uhhh, I interviewed only at TCOM and completely did not rank my preference until I saw your post. I stupidly thought that it would be rank #1 because it's my only school. Damn it, I was hoping for a miracle match in December, but looks like I'll be in limbo like everybody else until February...

Uhhh, I interviewed only at TCOM and completely did not rank my preference until I saw your post. I stupidly thought that it would be rank #1 because it's my only school. Damn it, I was hoping for a miracle match in December, but looks like I'll be in limbo like everybody else until February...
Last year they did a second prematch batch around Dec. 22nd. I hope they do that this year as well. It would save me hundreds of hours and dollars to be prematched. I'm studying for an improved MCAT score right now.

Reactions: 2 users