University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know whether texas school are still giving out interviews? Thanks in advance
I don't know if they are still giving interviews out, but there was an interview here at TCOM on Tuesday, so there's a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know whether texas school are still giving out interviews? Thanks in advance
I interviewed this past Friday. I'm not sure if they had anymore. It did sound like Tuesday (today) was the last interview date, but I could be wrong. We have to submit ranks on Jan 20, so I would think it would be cutting it close if there are interviews next week.

Has anyone sent any updates to TCOM or know if they are receptive to any type of update? (publications, work etc.). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent any updates to TCOM or know if they are receptive to any type of update? (publications, work etc.). Thanks!

I think they are receptive to updates containing significant achievements (winning a prestigious award, publications, things like that). Otherwise, I wouldn't bother at this point.

I think they are receptive to updates containing significant achievements (winning a prestigious award, publications, things like that). Otherwise, I wouldn't bother at this point.
Great, thank you!

I called them today and was told that if you haven't received an interview invite by now, it's pretty much a no. Depending on the match they may have a couple more spots open up, but likely not. What a bummer.

Are y'all getting a bunch of emails from TCOM? I'm just trying to see where I stand.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone on Match Day! It's almost here.

Reactions: 8 users
Any rumors circulating regarding what the 2017 technology package will be? Just curious; I've got a laptop that's on its last leg.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any rumors circulating regarding what the 2017 technology package will be? Just curious; I've got a laptop that's on its last leg.

I'm guessing it'll be a 2016 MacBook Pro 13" and an ipad Mini 4. This is going by last year's package. I'm sure someone has the information if we call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to all that matched!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
If you were hoping to match today but didn't, keep in mind that the waitlist moves quite a bit by the time school starts in July! I know one student in my class got the call two days before orientation started. Of course, always work on your back-up plan just in case.

Reactions: 2 users
When is everyone apartment hunting? Not sure how soon I should start in case there's waitlist movement at other schools

Congrats to all those who matched today!!! If you guys don't mind, can you share your GPA/MCAT (or LizzyM)? :)

When is everyone apartment hunting? Not sure how soon I should start in case there's waitlist movement at other schools

I did it in December and scoped out most potential places in addition to visiting them and general online reviews. I don't plan on inquiring about leases until closer to summer since the leasing office won't know anything this early.

Hello all,

For those that didn't match, do you get informed about being on the waitlist? Or is it just assumed that if you're not matched you're waitlisted. Thank you and congrats to everyone that matched!

Hello all,

For those that didn't match, do you get informed about being on the waitlist? Or is it just assumed that if you're not matched you're waitlisted. Thank you and congrats to everyone that matched!

Got an email shortly after 8 AM about the waitlist status.

Congratulations everyone who matched! Y'all worked hard for this day!
Good luck to those on waitlist and those who plan on applying next cycle!

Got an email shortly after 8 AM about the waitlist status.

Congratulations everyone who matched! Y'all worked hard for this day!
Good luck to those on waitlist and those who plan on applying next cycle!
I got an email as well. Did yours explicitly say you were on the waitlist, or that your application is still under review? Thanks!

I matched! See you all soon. Good luck to everyone else. I know how it feels. I was 8 weeks into studying for my MCAT retake.

I matched! See you all soon. Good luck to everyone else. I know how it feels. I was 8 weeks into studying for my MCAT retake.

Gunning to kill biochem during M1 with MCAT review, I see how it is. Jk jk! Can't wait to see you too, happy ending to your story!

Congratulations! I know it's been an arduous journey for you thus far! Can't wait to see you all in July!

I got an email as well. Did yours explicitly say you were on the waitlist, or that your application is still under review? Thanks!

Mine said I was on the waitlist.

Matched!!!!
LizzyM- 64
It's been a long road, and it's finally over
Don't give up y'all. It will happen!!

Reactions: 4 users
I would like to buy a macbook pro now...since I just have lousely old and broken tablet. Is there a way to get the computer/technology ahead of time hahaha..or be reimbursed..

The other thing is that I prematched here, only school , and i'm happy that TCOM recognized my excellence and was confident to offer me a spot. I really appreciate it. However, I am still waiting to hear back from school # 2 where Im waitlisted, but chances aren't very high. as non trad who likes freedom, I am just BLAH on the 8-5 first year schedule and OMM but its small inconvenience for a lifetime achievement... however all the faculty are very nice

I would like to buy a macbook pro now...since I just have lousely old and broken tablet. Is there a way to get the computer/technology ahead of time hahaha..or be reimbursed..

The other thing is that I prematched here, only school , and i'm happy that TCOM recognized my excellence and was confident to offer me a spot. I really appreciate it. However, I am still waiting to hear back from school # 2 where Im waitlisted, but chances aren't very high. as non trad who likes freedom, I am just BLAH on the 8-5 first year schedule and OMM but its small inconvenience for a lifetime achievement... however all the faculty are very nice

I was planning on attending here until I got pre matched to my #1. If it makes you feel better about the 8-5, I have heard that most classes don't require classes and are recorded for online. Some classes do take attendance though and built into the 8-5 schedule are "study times" according to a few TCOM students I talked to.

DON'T buy your computer unless you want two. You will not be reimbursed either, as far as I know. (Current MedSci who got the technology package this year.)

Matched! 508 balanced mcat. 3.21 overall gpa 3.7 science.

Not pumped about them forcing me to buy a mac.

Has anyone, matched or pre-matched, received any email since Feb 1st?

Is there a cafe on campus? What about a gym?

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Is there a cafe on campus? What about a gym?

Campus is very safe (in the cultural district, which is a very desirable location). As for the gym, it's small but functional; it's got everything you need.

...so no café? Lol

Haha I swear I read your question as "Is the campus safe?" Yeah there is a cafe; it's called 4 Star and it's very good. They also have a place called Java Lounge (or something like that) in the library that sells coffee and snacks. There's another place in the library basement that sells hot food too, but I've never tried it. Heard good things though. Lot's of restaurants within a few minutes of campus too, so there are definitely options.

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Haha I swear I read your question as "Is the campus safe?" Yeah there is a cafe; it's called 4 Star and it's very good. They also have a place called Java Lounge (or something like that) in the library that sells coffee and snacks. There's another place in the library basement that sells hot food too, but I've never tried it. Heard good things though. Lot's of restaurants within a few minutes of campus too, so there are definitely options.

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile
Noice!!

waitlisted.. anybody know about movement from here? how many might make it on off the waitlist or what % of the class usually comes from the waitlist?

waitlisted.. anybody know about movement from here? how many might make it on off the waitlist or what % of the class usually comes from the waitlist?
As far as I could tell from last year there can be quite a bit of movement from the waitlist. I got off the waitlist around April or so and I know people in my class (2020) that got in off the waitlist in June or even early July.