University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is what it says above the table. "Your application has been received. Please check your "to do" list for any outstanding items."

I checked my to do list, but it is completely empty. Does that mean I'm still in the running? My chances are probably very low at this point.

I am in the same exact boat as you.

I am in the same exact boat as you.
Same as me , has been that way for many months now. Try contacting Caroline, I have sent her messages about my application and she says I am still in the running (but that was late November). Unless it is stated , I would presume we are still not rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same as me , has been that way for many months now. Try contacting Caroline, I have sent her messages about my application and she says I am still in the running (but that was late November). Unless it is stated , I would presume we are still not rejected.

I'm in the same boat. Praying that means we still have a chance. Gotta keep that hope alive!

So Caroline said they have finished sending out interview invitations for the moment. If they feel like sending more out they will be in early February.

So Caroline said they have finished sending out interview invitations for the moment. If they feel like sending more out they will be in early February.

Probably for waitlist spots right?

I'm sure information will be forthcoming, but does any current student know if the white coat ceremony is a ticketed event with limited tickets for family members?

I'm sure information will be forthcoming, but does any current student know if the white coat ceremony is a ticketed event with limited tickets for family members?

If I remember correctly it was not a ticketed event. I believe seating was first come first serve.

No, you can bring whoever you want. It's quite a family event and very well attended. The ushers are not keen about people "reserving" seats for late comers (like half a row or something). It used to be in the afternoon, but it seems they've changed it to morning.

Research Appreciation Day is a tradition on campus. Last year's keynote speaker was Stanley Prusiner who won a Nobel for his discovery of prions. Here's a random paper presented by some 1st years:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/rad/abstracts/viewabstract.cfm?ID=109
Most med students, MD and DO, have neither the time nor the inclination to do any research while in med school.
That was a good lecture

But you do have the option of doing an optional research segment while doing your rotations in 4th year, but it is difficult to find a professor for it since many feel that the medical students do not take research that seriously.

A side note, if you are in TCOM, you can also apply for a dual degree DO/PhD up until the second year of school. The school plan is that they will not pay for the medical portion, just the PhD portion. The interviews for PhD are also very brutal, so watch out!

If I remember correctly it was not a ticketed event. I believe seating was first come first serve.
Thanks for the info!

No, you can bring whoever you want. It's quite a family event and very well attended. The ushers are not keen about people "reserving" seats for late comers (like half a row or something). It used to be in the afternoon, but it seems they've changed it to morning.

Thanks! I'm glad it looks like my wife, four children, parents, and in-laws will be able to attend. So excited!

I know some schools give some sort of White Coat Ceremony gift; i.e. medical equipment like a bag or stethoscope. Does TCOM do this?

I don't think so. Definitely no medical equipment or stethoscope. You have to buy one.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Definitely no medical equipment or stethoscope. You have to buy one.
No worries. Thanks for the info. I'm certainly saving a bundle just by coming to an in-state school. :) My other acceptances were $43,000 and $51,000 a year, respectively, just for tuition! Plus, Fort Worth is family-friendly and the Trinity Trail system is awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries. Thanks for the info. I'm certainly saving a bundle just by coming to an in-state school. :) My other acceptances were $43,000 and $51,000 a year, respectively, just for tuition! Plus, Fort Worth is family-friendly and the Trinity Trail system is awesome!
Not to mention there are a ton of places to eat and hang out around the school

My application also says "Your application has been received. Please check your "to do" list for any outstanding items." Does anyone know if TCOM has ever conducted February interviews? What about the bridge program?

Last edited:
I am unsure about Feb interviews, but bridge I believe they notify you about in March or April

Keep in mind January 21 is not just the deadline for applicants to rank, but it's also the official deadline for schools to upload their lists to TMDSAS for the match.

Hey costales (or other TCOM student).

I see that there are like 20-30 books online listed for our classes. Is there any advantage in buying them all while they are a little bit cheaper or should we wait until orientation/when classes start.

Also, random questions but what time do classes usually start in the morning?

Hey costales (or other TCOM student).

I see that there are like 20-30 books online listed for our classes. Is there any advantage in buying them all while they are a little bit cheaper or should we wait until orientation/when classes start.

Also, random questions but what time do classes usually start in the morning?

I would definitely not buy any books yet. There are quite a few that aren't worth buying. There is a list floating around somewhere of the recommended books from a student, and I'll post it when I can find it. If you go to lecture, those usually start around 8 or 9 am. Labs run in the afternoon a couple days a week.

I agree you should wait. There were people in my class who got by with the PowerPoints, recorded lectures, and books borrowed from the library (or other people). There were some who bought every book on the list and never opened half of them. I didn't own many books and got most of them for cheap from upper years. Off the top of my head, the ones I found most useful were:

Netter's Atlas because it's the bible. I also liked Thieme a lot (the head and neck volume).
Katzung's Pharmacology is thorough and well written. Read this if you don't understand pharm.
Costanzo's BRS Physiology is a great little book. I can't recommend it enough.
Bates' Pocket Guide to Physical Exam is extremely handy, lighter, and easier to manage than the big book.
Pocket Companion to Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease - ditto.

The various little physiology books, especially Klabunde's Cardio, are quite good and easy to read. You most likely will need them for the systems classes. The basic science books are for the cell science class. You don't need them if you already know cell/molecular bio/biochem. Don't spend money on histology books - they're low yield and of limited use. Always concentrate on the three P's: physiology, pathology and pharmacology. (Anatomy is also low yield on boards, but you can't be a doctor without knowing where the parts are, so passing anatomy is a must).

One more thing: Everyone is different. Buy whatever helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Since the deadline for the schools to submit their match list is January 21st, should we be able to see on the portal page if we at least get rejected?

Last edited:
They don't flip the switch on the big batch until match day. Most acceptances are done in the big batch.

As a TCOM student, did you feel prepared and competitive for your residency of choice, or did you feel limited in any ways? I'm super excited to begin in July!! Also, in what year did you begin to get a better idea of what residency you wanted to try for? I know a lot of people say to begin medical school with an open mind, but when does that perspective typically change? Thanks!

Last edited:
But you do have the option of doing an optional research segment while doing your rotations in 4th year, but it is difficult to find a professor for it since many feel that the medical students do not take research that seriously

The ideal time to get some research done is before 2nd year. 3rd year is doable, but core rotations and shelf exams can be demanding. 4th year is practically too late - residency applications are due in the fall. And there is a little matter of studying for boards (COMLEX I/II-CE/II-PE, USMLE 1/2). But it can be done - with the proper connections and skillful planning. A typical strategy is to secure a spot either at UNTHSC or elsewhere during 1st year, devote the summer after 1st year to research and get something submitted for publication, and then beef up your portfolio during your rotations with things like clinical vignettes/poster presentations/case reports. Needless to say, there is a tremendous trade-off involved - for example, you will have no social life :arghh:. As I mentioned, very few people bother with research in med school because it's not a hard requirement for most residency programs.

Last edited:
As a TCOM student, did you feel prepared and competitive for your residency of choice, or did you feel limited in any ways? I'm super excited to begin in July!! Also, in what year did you begin to get a better idea of what residency you wanted to try for? I know a lot of people say to begin medical school with an open mind, but when does that perspective typically change? Thanks!

I think TCOM prepared me well personally. I heard nothing but compliments about the school on my interview trail. As far as residency, I didn't decide until the end of 3rd year, and I suspect most people did the same. That's the purpose of rotations. It's very common for a 3rd year to change their mind about a certain field after a rotation (surgery and ob/gyn are probably way up there on the list). It boils down to what matches your aptitude and interest and what you want to do every day for the rest of your life. Personality seems to play a role. My lab partner got a high board score but decided to be a pediatrician, and some of the most competent people I know are in rural medicine.

My stats are 3.5/3.4/28/OOS and my application has been complete since the middle of August. I have over 1200 recorded volunteer hours as a Patient Care Technician and an additional 600 employment hours as a Medical/Surgical Assistant. I've shadowed 1 DO and 4 MDs and submitted three LOR (1 from DO, 2 from MDs). I know my numbers are average for the school, but I've received no HOLDS or Waitlist emails from the school. What do you guys think about my chances after not hearing a peep from TCOM in nearly 4 months?

I want to say that last year they conducted their last set of interviews the first week back to school in January. I was a MedSci student and knew people who interviewed in that group.
Yes your stats are just below the average for this school (3.59/3.51/28), but as an out of state applicant it is much more competitive. They have to take 90% in state applicants, last year a OOS applicant in the MedSci program had a 4.0 in the masters program and a good MCAT (I don't remember the score) and still had to get in off of the wait-list.
Basically its just really competitive for OOS applicants.

For those that interviewed before January and still haven't been rejected at this point, should we assume that we'll either be waitlisted or accepted on match day?

For those that interviewed before January and still haven't been rejected at this point, should we assume that we'll either be waitlisted or accepted on match day?

I think last year they still were sending out rejections the week or two before Match.

I think last year they still were sending out rejections the week or two before Match.

Has anyone gotten any rejections this month? If not, I guess they'll start coming in the next week or so huh?

I hope no Texan who has interviewed freaks out yet about rejection, etc! A lot will change when all Texan interviewees log onto TMDSAS on February 3rd to check the match results. Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised to find a match to our dream school, be it TCOM or a TX MD school.

We can still have hope....at least for about 18 more days! :)

My application status changed to has been reviewed.... I guess im out :(

Sorry Bro,

I am still under "App has been received, check to do list."

I'm quite sure I won't get an interview invite at this point yes?
And historically, they were done offering by now.

Show me love Tcoooooooooooommmm!

It's not over till you get those dreaded words. Also I heard they might start IIs again in February.

Officially rejected I emailed Caroline... Good luck to the rest of you! As for me I will be attending atsu-soma this Fall

Reactions: 1 user
Officially rejected I emailed Caroline... Good luck to the rest of you! As for me I will be attending atsu-soma this Fall

Sorry to hear this brother. As a fellow Texan most likely having to leave the state--it sucks.

Though I wonder if I should email Caroline as well? Is your status for TCOM still "Check your to do list" or does it say you've been reviewed?

Mine says "Check your to do list...", I guess I still have like a .0000001% chance at an interview lol.

"Under Review"
*finger crossing at 95%*

Same: "Under review." Good luck all!
I believe Jan 15th or 16th had significance state-wide. Three Texas schools with whom I didn't interview each emailed me on Jan 16 to release me.
The hamsters are running, wheels are turning, in Texas...

Same: "Under review." Good luck all!
I believe Jan 15th or 16th had significance state-wide. Three Texas schools with whom I didn't interview each emailed me on Jan 16 to release me.
The hamsters are running, wheels are turning, in Texas...

Still check your to do list for me as well--

Though I also had 3 schools email me to release me.