University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
matched here woo! Facebook group?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have this issue?? TMDSAS showed I didn’t match to any school! But then I got the email from TCOM saying I had been accepted. I called and they verified I had been accepted.

Anyone else have this issue?? TMDSAS showed I didn’t match to any school! But then I got the email from TCOM saying I had been accepted. I called and they verified I had been accepted.
Wow

Yep, that's what happened to me too! Got the same email and they verified that I was accepted!

Did y'all's portal change? Mine still says to check on February 3rd..

I think for those of you guys who didn't match, but still got accepted at TCOM, maybe that means one of your higher ranked schools has you waitlisted? I think that might be the situation for someone I know.

:soexcited:I matched to TCOM!!! Class of 2018 here we come! Congrats to everybody!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who matched today! Great job.

anyone have an idea about the deposit and timeframe when it's due?

TCOM doesn't require a deposit. It's zero.

Reactions: 1 user
Did y'all's portal status change?

So dumb question.. is the portal MyHSC? Because when I log into that it keeps giving me an error message and won’t log me in. Even though it’s my correct info.

So dumb question.. is the portal MyHSC? Because when I log into that it keeps giving me an error message and won’t log me in. Even though it’s my correct info.

I believe so..

It is still saying that it is offline pending match

Congratulations everyone that's been accepted so far. Welcome to the family.

I think for those of you guys who didn't match, but still got accepted at TCOM, maybe that means one of your higher ranked schools has you waitlisted? I think that might be the situation for someone I know.

I got on my match and it said "you have not matched to any schools" followed by an email from TCOM saying congratulations! Did this also happen to your friend? I called to verify but it was very bizarre.

Anyone have any advice for places to live and areas to look at or avoid? I will be moving with my fiancé and dog.

Anyone have any advice for places to live and areas to look at or avoid? I will be moving with my fiancé and dog.

Check a place called Ridglea Village.
I lived there two years ago. It's very quiet and the rent is affordable.
Plus it's right on camp Bowie, 10 minutes away from campus, max.

Check a place called Ridglea Village.
I lived there two years ago. It's very quiet and the rent is affordable.
Plus it's right on camp Bowie, 10 minutes away from campus, max.

Thanks Gan, I'll look into it.

So any chance more interviews will be given out?

Anyone else military personnel? I'm Navy HPSP

Anyone else military personnel? I'm Navy HPSP
Congrats! All the Navy docs I ran into had fun with it.
I was active duty for a few years but will be unaffiliated while at TCOM.

For those who haven't received an interview, what does your application status say?

Min
For those who haven't received an interview, what does your application status say?

Mine says:

Your application has been received. Please check your "to do" list for any outstanding items.

For those wondering, waitlist letters were sent off last week (IIRC, 4 Feb 2014 was the letter date), with DFW residents receiving theirs about Thursday afternoon

Assigned to Elko College! Is this chosen randomly?

Yeah, it's random or mostly random - the 'colleges' should be similar in demographics and whatnot. I heard the system works great for social functions.

Last edited:
Assigned to Elko College! Is this chosen randomly?
ME TOOOO! Ah I'm so excited! If I recognize you, I promise I won't reveal your anonymity :)

ME TOOOO! Ah I'm so excited! If I recognize you, I promise I won't reveal your anonymity :)

Did you join the Elko FB group? Too many people to try to scope you out haha.

Just checking if anyone here knows for sure - waitlisted people aren't able to apply for the General Scholarship, but we should submit our FAFSA just in case?

(Rising internal panic from deadline season...now wishing my parents hadn't coddled me throughout undergrad with regards to financial shenanigans, haha)

Last edited:
Just checking if anyone here knows for sure - waitlisted people aren't able to apply for the General Scholarship, but we should submit our FAFSA just in case?

(Rising internal panic from deadline season...now wishing my parents hadn't coddled me throughout undergrad with regards to financial shenanigans, haha)
I don't know. Call to ask. But I'm willing to say submit just in case.

The FAFSA is basically a snapshot of your financial situation. There is no harm in having it on file with the feds just in case, no matter where you end up.

would anyone be able to post the secondary application topics for this cycle? I am very busy next couple of months, so I wanted to start thinking about them :)

Last year had:
1) Describe osteopathic medicine (don't just wiki the response, because they will know you are phoning it in; try talking with a DO or ask on the DO discussion boards)
2) Why you chose osteopathic medicine
3) Explain why you went to more than one school (if you did)
4) Update info from TMDSAS (important if you are applying much later than your primary app submission and just discovered the cure for basal cell carcinoma or something)

I also did the app for PhD, and they ask for some extras...off the top of my head it was:
1) Career goals and how can you achieve these goals
2) Describe research experience, and why do you loooooove research (nothing about marrying it, though)
3) Volunteer activities
4) Why this program
5) Additional info (like what your favorite ice cream is, where to send the oodles of grant money [jk])