University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for TCOM to show up on your rank list on TMDSAS after interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted guys!!! I checked the portal and then received the email. Best day of my life.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally switched to under review exactly one month after my interview

I just got accepted via a pre-match offer to my dream school---TCOM, today via email! Interviewed 10/03/13. God is soooo good!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed back on 5/30 and just got a prematch today. Though I think I'll be turning it down to go to Lubbock instead. I hope one of you gets that seat!

Were we also supposed to receive a phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratz y'all! Still under review. Interesting that they had 3 pre-match releases this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all accepted! And remember: The adipose lady hasn't sung yet...

Woo, congrats to those accepted! I'm still under review. (Fingers crossed!) Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

After the portal status initially switches to under review is that it? Or does it switch to has been reviewed or something else

After the portal status initially switches to under review is that it? Or does it switch to has been reviewed or something else
consensus is that if says has been reviewed than you have been rejected... if it says under review then you are still in the running until match where they will either accept you or waitlist you..

consensus is that if says has been reviewed than you have been rejected... if it says under review then you are still in the running until match where they will either accept you or waitlist you..

Ok cool. Mine just switched to under review so I didn't know if there was anything else after that

So if we can ride out under review all up until match day we can be sure that we'll either be accepted or waitlisted on feb 1st?

So if we can ride out under review all up until match day we can be sure that we'll either be accepted or waitlisted on feb 1st?
I am not completely 100%, but I am pretty sure that is how it has been happening based on previous years threads.

The only exceptions are the current MedScis, who will begin to hear back mid Spring (rare) and in May, where they find out if they are under review (waitlist) or reviewed (rejection)

Last edited:
The only exceptions are the current PreMeds, who will begin to hear back mid Spring (rare) and in May, where they find out if they are under review (waitlist) or reviewed (rejection)

Referring to the medsci's?

OOS, 3.7 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 29 mcat

What are my chances?

OOS, 3.7 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 29 mcat

What are my chances?
If you were IN state you shouldve at least gotten an interview...I dont know what the average stats for accepted out of staters are tho...

If you were IN state you shouldve at least gotten an interview...I dont know what the average stats for accepted out of staters are tho...
should have said earlier but i am not applying this cycle. I was just curious

I have not seen stats for OOS matriculants. However, it's no secret that Texas med schools scrutinize OOS applicants closely because of the 10% cap.

Hi guys! Everyone on this thread seem really awesome and supportive! Very rare in the pre-med world.

I just had a couple of questions:
I received an II for Jan.14, maybe because I took an August MCAT that didn't come until September... -_- But, still, super excited for the interview!
I saw on here that I'm not eligible for match? For those of you that did interview, do you have any suggestions on how I should prepare. Since I don't have a DO letter, I've been really researching the field so I can hold an intelligent conversation. Were there any tough ethical questions? Healthcare policy questions?

Really appreciate all the help I can get. I hope to see some of you guys around campus next year if I manage to get in and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Hi guys! Everyone on this thread seem really awesome and supportive! Very rare in the pre-med world.

I received an II for Jan.14, maybe because I took an August MCAT that didn't come until September... -_- But, still, super excited for the interview!
I saw on here that I'm not eligible for match? For those of you that did interview, do you have any suggestions on how I should prepare. Since I don't have a DO letter, I've been really researching the field so I can hold an intelligent conversation. Were there any tough ethical questions? Healthcare policy questions?

Really appreciate all the help I can get. I hope to see some of you guys around campus next year if I manage to get in and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I'll try to give you the run down on the day and the interviews. You meet in the MET (the med school building) and have breakfast with other applicants. You get a chance to hang out and chat with others. A person will call you to follow them so they can verify your info and update if needed. Your folder will show your interview times and where and with who.

Have an answer for why DO, your definition of osteopathic medicine, motivation for why a physician. A few friends of mine got asked about the ACA, but I didn't. Some said it was a simple question while others said they got grilled on it. Know your qualities that separate you from others since I got a similar question to that. A friend of mine got an ethical question. To be honest, it's all relaxed and it felt like a great day.

They took us to Cook Children's which was pretty interesting, but I was a little drained by that time.

Congrats on the interview! Just curious when did you get the invite?

Congrats on the interview!! I interviewed here in September and got an offer on pre-match day :). I would suggest reading this short DO guide >> http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/Pages/BriefGuide.aspx
They like to quiz applicants on the history of osteopathic medicine along with your motivations for pursuing it. In addition, don't neglect to prepare for simple questions like:
-Tell me about yourself
-Tell me about your family
-If research is done, be prepare to explain it
-Describe your strengths and weakness
-What do you think are the most important qualities of becoming a successful physician?

I'm sure you can find a longer list of interview questions on google but these are pretty basic and commonly asked. During my interview, I did come across some tough questions. One interview was spent talking about the doctor patient relationship, very open-ended, and the interviewer told me he just wanted to see my reaction to his scenarios. I would also suggest that you read through some articles relevant to longstanding ethical issues in medicine:
-Abortion
-Organ allocation system
-Physician assisted suicide & Euthanasia
-Right to healthcare
I don't think you need to know the in depth history, just have an opinion so you can hold a conservation with the interviewer. Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions, and of course, best of luck!!!!!

Congrats on the interview! Just curious when did you get the invite?

Caroline called me December 18. When she called, I think most of the slots for January were still open because she gave me options for 3 days.

Also, thanks to both UTsksk and orangevitamins for your quick responses! I'll post if I have anymore questions.

Caroline called me December 18. When she called, I think most of the slots for January were still open because she gave me options for 3 days.

Thanks for that and good luck on your interview!

I'll try to give you the run down on the day and the interviews. You meet in the MET (the med school building) and have breakfast with other applicants. You get a chance to hang out and chat with others. A person will call you to follow them so they can verify your info and update if needed. Your folder will show your interview times and where and with who.

Have an answer for why DO, your definition of osteopathic medicine, motivation for why a physician. A few friends of mine got asked about the ACA, but I didn't. Some said it was a simple question while others said they got grilled on it. Know your qualities that separate you from others since I got a similar question to that. A friend of mine got an ethical question. To be honest, it's all relaxed and it felt like a great day.

They took us to Cook Children's which was pretty interesting, but I was a little drained by that time.
I thought the meeting place was in the EAD 248? But from my experience, you meet up with everyone, and then they will pull you in for a audit on your record )make sure everything is in order), then you go to the MET for orientation, have lunch with medical students, go on a tour and then have interviews. Everyone in the school is very nice and friendly, and you will have very comfortable interviews. Just be yourself in the interview, and make sure to not get too comfortable (don't swear, don't tell those Hangover-type stories about when you had to do triage on a friend who was impaled on a pane of glass after his bathroom caught fire, etc).

I would say that you should prime yourself on what it actually means to be a DO as opposed to memorizing AT Still's history. Reason I say that is because many students will go in, give the Wikipedia definition of Osteopathic medicine and the interviewer will most likely follow up with what that all means. Tell them your experience with a DO, what it means to be one, and how you plan on accomplishing things.

General knowledge of the PPACA is a must now in interviews, as is any current events. Just keep informed, and do a bit of reading and understanding of what the PPACA was for, etc.

Ethical questions came up multiple times, just know to stick with a side and follow through, but always detail sides before you choose one, because not doing this shows that you don't care or understand the other side.

I thought the meeting place was in the EAD 248? But from my experience, you meet up with everyone, and then they will pull you in for a audit on your record )make sure everything is in order), then you go to the MET for orientation, have lunch with medical students, go on a tour and then have interviews. Everyone in the school is very nice and friendly, and you will have very comfortable interviews. Just be yourself in the interview, and make sure to not get too comfortable (don't swear, don't tell those Hangover-type stories about when you had to do triage on a friend who was impaled on a pane of glass after his bathroom caught fire, etc).

I would say that you should prime yourself on what it actually means to be a DO as opposed to memorizing AT Still's history. Reason I say that is because many students will go in, give the Wikipedia definition of Osteopathic medicine and the interviewer will most likely follow up with what that all means. Tell them your experience with a DO, what it means to be one, and how you plan on accomplishing things.

General knowledge of the PPACA is a must now in interviews, as is any current events. Just keep informed, and do a bit of reading and understanding of what the PPACA was for, etc.

Ethical questions came up multiple times, just know to stick with a side and follow through, but always detail sides before you choose one, because not doing this shows that you don't care or understand the other side.

On my emailed orientation schedule, it says my check in time is 9:30 and interview at 9:45. So should I go around 30 minutes early so they can do my audit?

I think it might have done that I interviewed with a large group of around 40 people. TCOM told us that once a year, there's one day where they interview a lot of people.

On my emailed orientation schedule, it says my check in time is 9:30 and interview at 9:45. So should I go around 30 minutes early so they can do my audit?

I'd say go 30 minutes either way. If they don't verify before the interviews, they'll do it after. It's not something to really worry about.

I think it might have done that I interviewed with a large group of around 40 people. TCOM told us that once a year, there's one day where they interview a lot of people.
Ah ok :D How was the tour off-campus at the hospital? I heard from a few first-years they were going to do that, but to only one group

Ah ok :D How was the tour off-campus at the hospital? I heard from a few first-years they were going to do that, but to only one group

Oh I didn't know it was just to one group. They told us it was something that they wanted to start doing so we filled out evals for the tour.

I liked cook's children. The tour was very thorough. If someone is interested in peds then cook's is one of the best places to rotate. They showed us each floor and all the fancy new machines they have.

Cook Children's is just an awesome place for peds. If you want to spend a few weeks on the Gulf instead, Driscoll Children's in Corpus Christi is an approved alternative with free food and housing provided. It's a solid tertiary hospital (which is also used by A&M).

My stats are 3.5/3.4/28/OOS and my application has been complete since the middle of August. I have over 1200 recorded volunteer hours as a Patient Care Technician and an additional 600 employment hours as a Medical/Surgical Assistant. I've shadowed 1 DO and 4 MDs and submitted three LOR (1 from DO, 2 from MDs). I know my numbers are average for the school, but I've received no HOLDS or Waitlist emails from the school. What do you guys think about my chances after not hearing a peep from TCOM in nearly 4 months?

What does your application status say on the portal?

"This application is complete."

I'm assuming this is a future rejection?
The important section is above the table posted and not below

"Your application has been reviewed." = rejection

Does TCOM appreciate research or can too much research background be a turn off? I'm asking because I know DO schools aren't very research heavy. In fact, I actually got rejected by a school and when I asked why they said my app was research heavy and would be a better fit for schools with more research emphasis.

Research Appreciation Day is a tradition on campus. Last year's keynote speaker was Stanley Prusiner who won a Nobel for his discovery of prions. Here's a random paper presented by some 1st years:
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/rad/abstracts/viewabstract.cfm?ID=109
Most med students, MD and DO, have neither the time nor the inclination to do any research while in med school.