University of Mississippi, 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hz962 said:
I think that the moderate option computer will be sufficient. On the financial aid thing, definitely contact fin. aid. office to check. Better safe than sorry. I heard from a buddy of mine at UMC that the test schedule might be altered slightly (as in tests time between tests). Has anyone heard anything?

Dr. Case talked about test timing at the luncheon for USM. He said that it could/would be changed due to the burn out/complaints from the current M1s.

Members don't see this ad.

johndavid said:
A processor can't be upgraded, right?

The processor can't be upgraded. I am mostly going with the high end options for the faster processor speed. ( I do a lot of non-school related things with my computer). The mid-grade option is more than adequate for school work.

If you go to this dell website, you can see the price differences for the upgrades.

These were the only three upgrades that I saw...(please correct me if I am wrong)

Processor speed - To go from a 1.66 to a 2.0 GHz, it is a $140 upgrade.

Memory - to go from a 1.0 to 2.0 GB, is a $140 to $180 upgrade.

Hard Drvie - 60 to 80 GB is anywhere from $10 to $50 upgrade.

Upgrades total price - $290-$370
Price difference of the two laptop options - $438.90

Thanks Sondra! Your post was really helpful. How is your summer shaping up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sondra said:
The processor can't be upgraded. I am mostly going with the high end options for the faster processor speed. ( I do a lot of non-school related things with my computer). The mid-grade option is more than adequate for school work.

If you go to this dell website, you can see the price differences for the upgrades.

These were the only three upgrades that I saw...(please correct me if I am wrong)

Processor speed - To go from a 1.66 to a 2.0 GHz, it is a $140 upgrade.

Memory - to go from a 1.0 to 2.0 GB, is a $140 to $180 upgrade.

Hard Drvie - 60 to 80 GB is anywhere from $10 to $50 upgrade.

Upgrades total price - $290-$370
Price difference of the two laptop options - $438.90

Damn. Thanks for that. Saved a lot of us a whole lotta trouble. I have a good 30 gigs of music on my current computer, so I'm starting to wonder whether 60 Gig would be enough when we start adding our school stuff. Are these Dell latitudes any good? I haven't had any experience with them, but from what I hear they are pretty flimsy. I really want to go for the third option, but I'm afraid I'd be a stick in the mud with a different computer. And when do we get them anyway? I know they said we get them during registration, but when is that? Is it before the first day of class? I was wondering since we're gonna need time to put all our personal stuff in the computers before school starts. I don't want to bother about those things when classes come.

...boogie... said:
I really want to go for the third option, but I'm afraid I'd be a stick in the mud with a different computer.

I didn't go for the third option for several reasons. One is the accidental damage protection. The second is because if the IT staff at the school don't know my laptap, they won't be able to fix the easiest of problems. The more mainstream, the easier it will be for them to fix quickly. Third - replacement laptop.

...boogie... said:
And when do we get them anyway? I know they said we get them during registration, but when is that? Is it before the first day of class?

I am pretty sure we get the computers during orientation/registration which is the week of August 8. I don't think classes will start until the following week. So we should get a little bit of time.

nightowl said:
Thanks Sondra! Your post was really helpful. How is your summer shaping up?

Really good. I have a job that has allowed me to travel the US from coast to coast since January. It has been amazing, and they are compensating me well. I am leaving for the Florida Keys, Miami and Orlando tomorrow. I am also happy to report that I found a house to rent only 3 miles from the school!!!! I am moving in during the month of July. How has your summer gone?

Sondra said:
I didn't go for the third option for several reasons. One is the accidental damage protection. The second is because if the IT staff at the school don't know my laptap, they won't be able to fix the easiest of problems. The more mainstream, the easier it will be for them to fix quickly. Third - replacement laptop.

I am pretty sure we get the computers during orientation/registration which is the week of August 8. I don't think classes will start until the following week. So we should get a little bit of time.

Thanks again Sondra. I'll have to make sure to bake you something when school starts. Or maybe not. I don't really do ovens. Or baking. Or computers. Obviously. Heh. However if you need your tires changed or your car checked I'll be glad to do it.

...boogie... said:
Thanks again Sondra. I'll have to make sure to bake you something when school starts. Or maybe not. I don't really do ovens. Or baking. Or computers. Obviously. Heh. However if you need your tires changed or your car checked I'll be glad to do it.

I may take you up on the car offer. :)

Since there have been a couple of posts about financial aid, I figured that I would give the dates that I have received financial aid info.

12/27/05 - completed entrance interview with Wells Fargo.
1/20- Recieved UMC Application for Financial Aid
2/2 - Completed FAFSA
4/12- I received my financial aid award letter.
4/20- Returned my signed award letter and lender choice.
5/25- Recieved paperwork for sholarships/loans for disadvantaged students.

The financial aid website says ... "For students who do NOT meet the March 31 deadline for submission of financial aid forms, the documents listed above will be mailed 20-30 days before classes begin." So if you submitted anything after March 31 (financial aid aplication, FAFSA, entrance interview), you probably should recieved forms prior by mid-July.

I love being a part of a city. I like to find little things that make the city unique. So I did some research and found some really good websites for Jackson.

Most livable citites. --The links for the city are hard to see. They are white on the lime green background right in the center of the page.
Click on..
human development for social issues.
tourism for annual events
city center then assets & ammenities for downtown attractions (artsy/museum type stuff).

The city of Jackson, MS official website
Click on...
Visitors for links to fun stuff (which will be on the right side of the new page)
Services and then human and cultural activities or parks and recreation

Convention and Visitor Bureau

The Clarion Ledger - Jackson's Biggest Newspaper

Statistics about the city - everything from weather, crime, race, education level, AM & FM radio station. You can click on your zip code and get even more specific statistics.

Hello Jackson. - This is a sponsored/advertising site. It isn't the best site, but it does have some things that you can't find on the other sites including local band info,local art, local sports, list of restraunts by type, and an event calendar for local happenings from bands at bars to big city events. Lastly, click on info to get websites for all local papers, tv, and radio stations.

Other helpful websites:
Driver's License. - Locations / Online renewal if you still live at the same address.

Car Tag for Hinds County it is renewable online.

I have done a lot of posting today. If you can tell, I am stuck in the house!

I don't know this guy personally, but here is a housing opportunity.

House for rent in the Belhaven area. Downstairs of a house for rent. Owner lives upstairs. 1800 sf. It has 3 bedrooms with large closets and 2 baths. Washer and Dryer included just outside of the apartment. Lots of cabinets in kitchen. Kitchen has a bar that opens to the living room. Private drive off of St. Mary's St. Built in 1990. New paint/carpet.

5 minutes from UMC within walking distance.

Price $1200/month perfect for room mates
Plus utilities. (electricity is realatively cheap because it is partially underground. Cable and water bill are split between the number of people living in the house. Owner will be installing cable modem soon.)

Pets - open for discussion. Will probably allow a small pet if well trained.

Contact-
Rusty Faulkner 601-352-6915
[email protected]

hunter1077 said:
That is my worry, that 4 years down the road something will require a 2 GB processor and then I would not have enough. So, in the big picture what is $400 bucks when I will be borrowing a 100K?

Four years ago, Dell came out with their Lattitude C640. 2.2GHz, 1024MB RAM, 40GB HDD. Current manufacturing techniques for PC's are approaching their performance ceiling, so in 2010 one of two things will happen, listed in order of likelyhood:

1) Laptop specs will not be too significantly improved, and the moderate laptop will be basically just as competitive as the high performance one.

2) There will be a new paradigm shift in computing technology that will render all our laptops obsolete. Remember the standard in computing technology before the microprocessor, the lowly vacuum tube? Uh-huh. 'Nuf said.

Okay new topic. if anyone happens upon a 3 bdrm house in jackson, I'd love any tips, like where to find rentable houses, etc...or of one in particuar. because figuring out where to live is no fun really...

hope everyone is having a rockin summer. anyone taking any trips? I'm trying to figure out where to go on vacation end of july :love: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
so during my physical the nurse did a crappy job drawing blood out of my arm. i now am the proud owner of a 2-in. diameter bruise. it makes me look like i'm a heroin addict. YES! and people comment on it and give me weird stares. oh the life...

nightowl said:
Okay new topic. if anyone happens upon a 3 bdrm house in jackson, I'd love any tips, like where to find rentable houses, etc...or of one in particuar. because figuring out where to live is no fun really...

hope everyone is having a rockin summer. anyone taking any trips? I'm trying to figure out where to go on vacation end of july :love: :p

I'm spending the summer working in Omaha, NE. Its amazing the difference MS humidity makes. It was 100 out last week, yet felt like 75 back home!

...I'm going to die a miserable death come late July when I come back.

sleepy_dwarf said:
I'm spending the summer working in Omaha, NE. Its amazing the difference MS humidity makes. It was 100 out last week, yet felt like 75 back home!

...I'm going to die a miserable death come late July when I come back.

I know exactly what you mean. I was in Jupiter, FL, on the beach with pants and a dress shirt. It was 95, and I felt very comfortable. I wasn't sweating, and I didn't stick to my clothes. Humidity is horrible.

Sondra said:
I know exactly what you mean. I was in Jupiter, FL, on the beach with pants and a dress shirt. It was 95, and I felt very comfortable. I wasn't sweating, and I didn't stick to my clothes. Humidity is horrible.

I am taking my last class for my italian minor (totally useless I know) in Florence right now. Pretty awesome! I'm basically using it as a final-hoorah celebrating my last few months of freedom. But, I'll be back in Jackson for the Fourth of July because I wouldn't be American if I missed that!

So, I guess everyone's received the email about orientation at Jackson free clinic this coming fri. Anyone plan on going?

I'm planning on being there :love: along with another M1-to-be. I'm excited!

johndavid said:
So, I guess everyone's received the email about orientation at Jackson free clinic this coming fri. Anyone plan on going?

I think I will be going. I am moving in to my house on 6/23, so I have to be in Jackson to sign my lease anyway.

:) Thanks for the post Sondra. Congrats on finding a place to live. Are you living alone? I'm still waiting on financial aid, sucks to be accepted late. Have fun traveling and think of me in summer school : (

Sondra said:

House for rent in the Belhaven area. Downstairs of a house for rent. Owner lives upstairs. 1800 sf. It has 3 bedrooms with large closets and 2 baths. Washer and Dryer included just outside of the apartment. Lots of cabinets in kitchen. Kitchen has a bar that opens to the living room. Private drive off of St. Mary's St. Built in 1990. New paint/carpet.

Plus utilities. (electricity is realatively cheap because it is partially underground. Cable and water bill are split between the number of people living in the house. Owner will be installing cable modem soon.)

Contact-
[email protected]

Will classes start the day after orientation on August 8 or is the whole week orientation? Just curious. A day or two would be nice to get organized, buy books, etc.

hz962 said:
Will classes start the day after orientation on August 8 or is the whole week orientation? Just curious. A day or two would be nice to get organized, buy books, etc.

For the class entering August 2005, I was told they had orientation for 3 days then started class.

I'm really getting antsy about starting school now. Only a few weeks left at my assignment up here, and I'm looking foward to coming back home, although not about the evaporation of my paycheck. I feel like I've been on Mars from missing all the informational meetings and such, and I want to start participating!

Does anyone know when the whitecoat ceremony is?

sleepy_dwarf said:
I'm really getting antsy about starting school now. Only a few weeks left at my assignment up here, and I'm looking foward to coming back home, although not about the evaporation of my paycheck. I feel like I've been on Mars from missing all the informational meetings and such, and I want to start participating!

Does anyone know when the whitecoat ceremony is?

I think classes start monday, aug 14. I heard the white coat ceremony is at the end of orientation week, either that thurs or fri, not sure about that though.

I emailed Jennifer, one of the people who run the clinic, and she said normally they have close to 30 M1's show up for the thing they are doing this fri. Should be fun.

For everyone who went to the Jackson free clinic orientation today, how was it? I wanted to go but had to work so I couldn't make it. Learn any info that would be interesting/benefitial to know?

I thought it was cool. Learned a good bit about how to do physical exam which was interesting. Also some good news from current students that the admin appears to be trying to fix some of the problems that last year's class had. But yeah, overall, I enjoyed today. Anyone else have a reaction?

Free clinic=awesome. I really want to get involved when we start in August. Unfortunately I won't be in Jackson until then. But the dessert at the meeting was sooooo goood. Mmmmmm.

Sondra said:

Contact-
[email protected]

Hey Sondra

Please let me know if you see any other houses for rent around where you live! Thanks chica :)

Hola!

Hunter1077 and I are planning a night out in order to get to know each other before we have to show up at orientation. The proposed date is Thursday, August 3, around 7 PM and the venue will probably be a Mexican restraunt in/around Jackson.

If you are interest in going, please PM me with your name, phone number, personal email, and also let me know if the date, time, and type of food are okay. We are open to suggestions, so if you need the time a little later/earlier or know of a good restraunt, feel free to comment.

-Sondra

Is anyone else ready to start? I get to quit my job in a few weeks and relax until we start. I know it is a long time until this but is next summer (between 1st and 2nd year) completely open to work whereever you want or is there some type to clinical/medical job requirement for school? Also, has anyone gotten anything lately in the mail concerning school? Just curious, the last I got was about the computer policy. I look forward to meeting everyone very soon.

hz962 said:
Is anyone else ready to start? I get to quit my job in a few weeks and relax until we start. I know it is a long time until this but is next summer (between 1st and 2nd year) completely open to work whereever you want or is there some type to clinical/medical job requirement for school? Also, has anyone gotten anything lately in the mail concerning school? Just curious, the last I got was about the computer policy. I look forward to meeting everyone very soon.

The computer policy was the last thing I received. I faxed the policy, but I like to have confirmation (I usually get delivery confirmation when I mail something). I tried calling and emailing to see if they received my fax, but no one will respond. It kind of worries me. I hope my lap top is waiting for me in the book store.

I don't think there is any requirement for next summer, but I know there will be plenty of opportunity to do research, etc. I do know that if you fail a class and have to retake it that you will have to do it over the summer at another medical school (we talked about this at our luncheon with Dr. Case).

I am exctied about starting, but not about having to studying again. I am excited about moving to a new town. I spent my first weekend at my place in Jackson last week and had a really good time.

I thought that I had mailed mine in plenty of time, but it turns out that I sent it to the wrong place. Long story short, Ms. Eaves in the admissions office sent me 2nd and 3rd notices that she hadn't received my computer policy. If you haven't received those e-mails, you're probably fine. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

Sondra said:
The computer policy was the last thing I received. I faxed the policy, but I like to have confirmation (I usually get delivery confirmation when I mail something). I tried calling and emailing to see if they received my fax, but no one will respond. It kind of worries me. I hope my lap top is waiting for me in the book store.

I don't think there is any requirement for next summer, but I know there will be plenty of opportunity to do research, etc. I do know that if you fail a class and have to retake it that you will have to do it over the summer at another medical school (we talked about this at our luncheon with Dr. Case).

I am exctied about starting, but not about having to studying again. I am excited about moving to a new town. I spent my first weekend at my place in Jackson last week and had a really good time.

Sondra said:
Hola!

Hunter1077 and I are planning a night out in order to get to know each other before we have to show up at orientation. The proposed date is Thursday, August 3, around 7 PM and the venue will probably be a Mexican restraunt in/around Jackson.

If you are interest in going, please PM me with your name, phone number, personal email, and also let me know if the date, time, and type of food are okay. We are open to suggestions, so if you need the time a little later/earlier or know of a good restraunt, feel free to comment.

-Sondra

Oooh... Mexican restaurant=margaritas. The best margaritas in town are without A doubt at La Cazuela's. It's that Mexican restaurant before the I-55 exit along Fortification. They serve frozen margaritas, and happy hour starts at 3. Or at least 4, since it was always happy hour when we get there after class. A pitcher is just 14.99. Plus, the salsa and free chips would mean it's oh-so-cheapo. The food is good too. We just need to get there (or anywhere else for that matter) before the evening crowd, so we can get a big table.

I agree with ...boogie for those not from around Jackson. Very fun atmosphere and lots of booze for a little change. Sounds good to me

hz962 said:

The class last year did not get the book list or orientation announcement until the end of July. The information came via email. The books actually showed up in the bookstore a few weeks before the list came out, so if you get really anxious, you can probably head to the bookstore and get a sneak peek.

Take2 said:
The class last year did not get the book list or orientation announcement until the end of July. The information came via email. The books actually showed up in the bookstore a few weeks before the list came out, so if you get really anxious, you can probably head to the bookstore and get a sneak peek.

I think they probably wait so that you have to have the book immediately and have to purchase it from the UMC bookstore instead of online.

hunter1077 said:
I think they probably wait so that you have to have the book immediately and have to purchase it from the UMC bookstore instead of online.

there's plenty of time to purchase online. Barnes and Noble had a great discount last year. It's a good idea to get with your M2 buddy before buying books.

Bioengineer said:
there's plenty of time to purchase online. Barnes and Noble had a great discount last year. It's a good idea to get with your M2 buddy before buying books.

Yes, make sure you get with your buddy or just ask an M2 about the books. I mean, I'm a big nerd/loser and like to use the books, but even we nerds/losers can't use all those books even if we wanted to. I know you feel like you want them and Might need them, but trust me... half of them will just take up space that you need for old exams and BRS books.

Peace out yo,
J

Sondra said:
Thats good to know. Thanks.
I also faxed mine and emailed Dr. whoever to see if he got my fax to no avail!

The fax number on the computer form is directed to the admissions office, more specifically to Kim Eaves. You should probably email her if you want a confirmation, but if she hasn't emailed you about it, I'm sure that she received it and your shiny new laptop will be available in the fall!!!

aurorax3 said:
I also faxed mine and emailed Dr. whoever to see if he got my fax to no avail!

after we sign our promissory notes, do we have to send anything to the school?

any new word on pre-orientation get together festivities?

everyone have a good weekend?

Bioengineer said:

Have you guys contacted your M2 buddies yet? Did they give out emails? Because I have no idea anymore who my buddy is or what their contact info is.

check the buddylist link on the accepted applicants section of umc's school of medicine webpage. it lists all accepted applicants and their buddies and email/phone numbers. if you dont remember the username and password the link prompts you to give- let me know and i'll pm it to you- or you can give kim eaves a call or email and she'll tell you- she usually replies to email quickly

I talked to Virginia in Dr. Arceneaux's office (A.Dean of Student Affairs?). She told me that they have not finished making out the orientation schedule, but that we will be busy every day. The white coat ceremony will probably be on Thursday, and we will be doing something with M2s on Friday. She was a delight to talk to on the phone. I haven't met one mean/rude person when dealing with people at UMC. Everyone is always overly helpful.

As for the get together. I think we will have definite plans toward the last week of July. It is definitely set for Thursday, August 3.

I got my promissory note for my loan in the mail yesterday so be looking for it. I had already signed it online but the chose to send me one anyway. Just giving everyone a heads up.

Hurrah, tonight is my last night at work up here in Omaha, and I will be driving back home to MS this weekend. I can't believe it...but I'm homesick!

sleepy_dwarf said:
Hurrah, tonight is my last night at work up here in Omaha, and I will be driving back home to MS this weekend. I can't believe it...but I'm homesick!

Yea I have two more days after today and the last day doesnt count because Im not going to do a dang Monday!!!

My current roommate has decided to move out, leaving me with a room to fill. I own a 3 bedroom home just of Briarwood. If anyone is interested in a place to live please give me a call (Jennifer Samples 601-347-4856). I just renovated the kitchen and refinished the hardwood floors. Other amenities: deck with grill, pool table, garden service