University of Mississippi, 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
johndavid said:
Yeah, I've known Victoria almost my whole life. What's the connection?

Victoria and I went to college together. She's one of my best friends. She mentioned you had been accepted and asked if I had seen your name anywhere. And now I have. I just called and told her. She was all excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm an upcoming M2 that will have a room open in my apartment starting Mid-June. It's in Fondren Hill Apartments, right accross the street from UMC. I walk to class every day, and I hardly ever use my car. I'm really quiet and all that jazz, so if you might be interested or know someone who is, please let me know.

I hope this thread gets posted, coz this site is really confusing...

Jeremy Wigginton, M1
662-279-0837
[email protected]

Hi! I'm one of the incoming 2006 M1 students, and I'm wondering... How many incoming students/current students will be in Jackson over the summer? I've rented a place in Belhaven and will be moved in by June 1st. I'm excited about coming to Jackson but not looking forward to not knowing a soul for the two months prior to orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shooks, I'm an incoming M1. How much is that place u've rented? Anyway, I plan to be in Jackson on several of the weekends to volunteer at the Jackson Free Clinic. Anyone else planning to volunteer any this summer?

femily said:
sondra...

by all means give that book to his wife. i don't know about personally visiting her this soon, as that might be a little traumatic at this point. maybe ship it to her, with a nice letter, and then maybe request a personal visit? i don't really know myself...this is such a unique situation, and i don't think there's any protocol on what to do. but you want to make sure you don't offend the wife.

I mailed it today with a sympathy card attached.

johndavid said:
It was mentioned that the traditional organizer of the note-taking system is the VP, and it is normally done by a week or so. We elect officers the first week or how does that work? Also, in the labs, do ya'll have to write lots of lab reports like in undergraduate classes, because I absolutely hate lab reports?

You elect class officers later after everyone knows everybody. That actually gives you a chance to oust the original head of note service if they are doing a crappy job; that is what our class did! The note service is only as good as the people in charge of it want it to be. Ours sucked until we elected officers and we chose a different person as VP, and then it was a good study tool. Lab attendance is mandatory, but lab reports do not exist. You are held responsible for what you learn in lab when you take the practical. Histo does have "quizes" at the end of every lab, but they are for bonus points on your test, so its not a big deal.

biosailgirl said:
If you want more people to join this thread, send an email with this site's adress on it, to Cindy Turnage and Kim Eaves in Dr. Case's office and ask them to send it out to the first year. We had a thread last year, but it wasn't that great. studentdoctor.net is much better. Once you get a bigger following, I can also send it out to some classmates who would be more than willing to answer a bunch of your questions. Their email addresses (I think) are [email protected] and [email protected]

I emailed this thread to Ms. Cindy. It already looks like she sent out emails to everyone. The thread seems to be picking up with new people already.

I will be an M1 in the fall with all of you and I already live in Jackson. I am getting a masters degree from UMC, so I've been here for 2 years and I know the area. I will answer any questions you have but, I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back for several days so don't think anything of me not replying right away. I am excited to meet my new classmates!

hey guys, i've lived near jackson (richland) forever and am currently here working at UMC so if you're in town sometime before school and need anything, just let me know. there are several apartment complexes on lakeland drive in flowood that give discounts to UMC students, so you should check that out. i'm staying at home right now but am undecided on whether i want to get my own place or not so if anyone needs a roommate, i can probably be persuaded. i look forward to meeting all of you!!

I would save my money and stay at home if I could. Imagine leaving with only loans for tuition, gas, and food. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, its me again, the upcoming M2 with the room available. Here are some more stats about the apartment if you are interested in it:

- Located in Fondren Hill, across the street from UMC
- Rent + Utilities will be around 415 per month
- 2 BR & 1.5 Bath
- No pets, and I dont' have washer/dryer hookups - i use the facilities here in the complex
- Quiet and convenient location to anything you would need
- Flexible Lease (Month to month, or extended for less money)
- Location, Location, Location

Gimme a shout if you want more info or would like to see the apartment... You can see floor plans of the 2BR apartments and read about the location at www.fondren-hill.com

There is a Long waiting list for these apt's, so this is your chance to get in on the deal.

[email protected]
662-279-0837

JeremyWigginton said:
Hey guys, its me again, the upcoming M2 with the room available.
[email protected]
662-279-0837

I met Jeremy today. He was a great guy and would make a good room mate. Fondren Hills is really, really convenient to campus!!!

Jeremy, any way I could convince you to move to another complex that takes pets so that you could be my room mate?

biosailgirl said:
Apartment stuff:
Any of you guys looking for a place to rent or know someone who needs a place to rent? ... The rent would only be $650 a month. If you want to see it call 601-955-9292. That's Jon, our landlord guy.

I met your husband today when I visited your apartment. I loved the area that your apartment was in. Belhaven is beautiful.

Members don't see this ad :)
My "buddy" told me that he didn't even use a lot of his books, like biochem and genetics. Anyone else have advice on whether or not to buy all the books. If not, for which classes will we definitely need books?

johndavid said:
My "buddy" told me that he didn't even use a lot of his books, like biochem and genetics. Anyone else have advice on whether or not to buy all the books. If not, for which classes will we definitely need books?

I was told something similar. My buddy told me that we could discuss which books to buy after the list came out.

I am not sure. I haven't been in too much of a hurry to buy books. I just figured I would start looking for them during orientation week if my buddy hasn't already sold me his.

hunter1077 said:
I would save my money and stay at home if I could. Imagine leaving with only loans for tuition, gas, and food. :rolleyes:

yeah, we'll see........can't really put a price on freedom.

i also have no idea what's going on or what i should be doing so if anyone comes across any extremely important and helpful advice, i'm all ears, or maybe eyes since i'll be reading this???

good luck to everyone taking finals in the coming weeks!

Oh, another thing. I've been talking to jeremy w. about his apartment at Fondren Hills right across for . Anyone else from the area familiar with how nice they are or what kind of reputation it has? Thanks.

johndavid said:
Oh, another thing. I've been talking to jeremy w. about his apartment at Fondren Hills right across for . Anyone else from the area familiar with how nice they are or what kind of reputation it has? Thanks.

Fondren Hills is directly across the street from the school. I have heard nothing but good things about the apartments. They are older, but seem well kept. The area was very quiet when I visited today. I am pretty picky, and while it wouldn't be my first choice of places to live, I would definitely consider when factoring in how close the school is. I would conisder Fondren Hills except that I have a dog, and they don't accept pets.

I am actually interested in buying a house and am looking at places to rent as a back up in case I don't find a house. I would be interested in a room mate In one of your previous posts, you said "we are looking.." I didn't know if you had a significant other moving with you. I am only interested in living with another med student, so if you are interested, I will PM you when I do find a place.

I sent you a PM

nightowl said:
Hi! Another future M1 here. I have a question to throw in. I didn't take Biochemistry in undergrad and I'm wondering if I should try to familiarize myself before school starts... Is anyone else going in with no background in biochem? I've heard people say there is no point in trying to learn anything before Day 1 of school, but I've also heard people that had biochem in undergrad say that it made first year a lot easier. Thoughts?

Also, I'm sort of limited when it comes to summer possibilities this year, so I'm wondering exactly how important it is to do "something" inbetween M1 and M2? Is research the only thing going as far as programs? Or are there more clinical based opportunities? Would you recommend doing a summer program or taking full advantage of your last summer off?

About housing, anyone know if any other affordable housing in Fondren besides Fondren Hills? And what about food? Where are the good places to eat in Jackson?

Do not study. It is worthless. Have fun and be lazy!!! You can have fun in med school, but not the kind of uninhibited, don't have to worry about tests kind of fun. So don't study. I thought I would "look over" anatomy before school started. I ended up going swimming everyday and hanging out instead and did fine enough (well, before boards). The summer bw M1 and M2 you don't have to do anything groundbreaking or spectacular unless you're just that type of person but I think its good to do something medicine or research related -- so you'll always have that running in the back of your mind. Have fun now, get it out of your system, and enjoy your sleep.

Sondra said:
I am not sure. I haven't been in too much of a hurry to buy books. I just figured I would start looking for them during orientation week if my buddy hasn't already sold me his.

Hey Sondra,
I found out your buddy is Scott. You don't want to buy his books. Mine are much better. His are dirty. Tainted dirty books. He's funny looking too. You don't want to buy books from a funny looking boy.

biosailgirl said:
Hey Sondra,
I found out your buddy is Scott. You don't want to buy his books. Mine are much better. His are dirty. Tainted dirty books. He's funny looking too. You don't want to buy books from a funny looking boy.

Dear Everyone,

Hey this is scott, signed in under biosailgirl's name. I would urge anyone not to buy jen's books b/c i peed on them....... Especially the important ones.

Scott T. :thumbup:

Hey guys and gals. I have nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation as of yet, but did want to make my otherwise meaningless presence known, because I have nothing better to do this instant while at "work".

Oh, and Sondra, I'm a male USM'er...I couldn't make it to the luncheon because I've been on work assignment up in Omaha.

nightowl said:
Hi! Another future M1 here. I have a question to throw in. Unfortunately, I'm sort of limited when it comes to summer possibilities this year, so I'm wondering exactly how important it is to do "something" inbetween M1 and M2? Also, is research the only thing going as far as programs? Or are there more clinical based opportunities? Would you recommend doing a summer program or enjoying your last summer off?

About housing, anyone know if any other affordable housing in Fondren besides Fondren Hills? And what about food? Where are the good places to eat in Jackson?

Hi, I am currently an M1 here at UMMC. The best advice I can give you as far as reading goes is to get a copy of the book Iserson's guide to getting into a medical residency. Read it and follow the guidelines contained therein. As far as material you will need for the M1 year...that is being worked on at this very moment and information will be distributed to your class in a timely fashion. As far as what you should do this summer...Do what feels right. If you are leaning towards a competitive residency it would be in your best interest to do something clinically or basic science research oriented, whether or not you get paid to do so. You also have the option of volunteering at the Jackson Free Clinic this summer (JFC) on Saturdays. This would be a great experience for you. I will write more later this summer. PM me with any serious concerns.

Sondra said:
I met Jeremy today. He was a great guy and would make a good room mate. Fondren Hills is really, really convenient to campus!!!

Jeremy, any way I could convince you to move to another complex that takes pets so that you could be my room mate?

Thanks for the endorsement Sondra. Unfortunately, I wouldn't trade the location for anything.. well, maybe for a new Developmental anatomy teacher.. but that'd be it.

Apartments will take on a whole new meaning for you in medical school. They become more of a rest-stop than anything. Just somewhere you can shower and eat away from your classmates, and you might occasionally sleep there. My best advice is to find something affordable and convenient, so that you can enjoy your loan/scholarship/etc money.

They are going to baby you for about the first month.. start out real slow and easy.. then the next thing you know, you'll be down on the ground while one of the Anatomists are holding you and the Biochemists are kicking you in the ribs... Fun times guys - fun times.

J

johndavid said:
Nice analogy. I can't wait...

Hey I am Scott Therrien. I wont be as pretentious as Jen(Biosailgirl) and say i am an M2, b/c we havent taken our boards yet. We are M1s. And everything jen says is a lie, mainly b/c she is a liar and short.

But do what she said, dont study this summer. Dont worry about books, but if you do, dont buy them new!!!!! Ever! Get an old edition or one that was set on fire.

Class - go or dont go, it doesnt really matter. I did both and made the same grades. I cant pay attention in class. I just went to socialize and get all my internet errands taken care of so i could study that night.

Jeremy isnt a liar like Jen. He is right, you wont stay in an apartment enough to worry about it. You should just take a cot to the classroom wing and old notes (for paper ball fights).

I know this is easy for me to say, but dont get worked up if you are confused about next year. I was and still am..... It all evens out. You wont hear about financial aid until July or October, so dont even bother asking.

Scott smells funny. Most people don't enjoy his presence in class unless he showers. I repeat do not buy books from Scott. They will smell like him. Apartments do matter, especially if they are filled with stinkiness. Like Scott's. In fact, Scott lives in Fondren HIll and you will probably be able to smell him from there, so you should really look into renting in Belhaven.
Also, it is very important that you learn to be mature in med school. Med School is about reaching your full maturity level. Please remember that. Med school = mature.
Scott, I can smell you from here.

wing_it said:
Hey I am Scott Therrien. I wont be as pretentious as Jen(Biosailgirl) and say i am an M2, b/c we havent taken our boards yet. We are M1s. And everything jen says is a lie, mainly b/c she is a liar and short.

But do what she said, dont study this summer. Dont worry about books, but if you do, dont buy them new!!!!! Ever! Get an old edition or one that was set on fire.

Class - go or dont go, it doesnt really matter. I did both and made the same grades. I cant pay attention in class. I just went to socialize and get all my internet errands taken care of so i could study that night.

Jeremy isnt a liar like Jen. He is right, you wont stay in an apartment enough to worry about it. You should just take a cot to the classroom wing and old notes (for paper ball fights).

I know this is easy for me to say, but dont get worked up if you are confused about next year. I was and still am..... It all evens out. You wont hear about financial aid until July or October, so dont even bother asking.

I would have to agree with Scott. He is usually right. Don't buy anything from Biosailgirl. She doesn't even go to medical school. Biosail just hangs out in the hallways trying to sell people things.

i bet this scott character is secretly chuck norris posing as a med school student...

femily said:
i bet this scott character is secretly chuck norris posing as a med school student...

Jen's full name is Jen-italia

So what all do you get to do when you volunteer at Jackson Free Clinic? Do some students make it almost every Saturday? Just want to know more about it.

Also, has anyone done that first year surgery program? Or any similar program that is supposed to give you a better idea of what you might want to specialize in?

Thanks, y'all... Also, this selling your books thing, do people not want to keep their books to use as references, or to study for boards...?

Hey everyone. Another boooring night at work and another pet project, which might interest some of my money conscious M1 buds. So I'm sitting here, worrying about making my leftover loan money go the distance, when I stumbled upon the 2006-2007 Financial Aid Handbook, which has this year's M1 budget. http://financialaid.umc.edu/docs/FinancialAidHandbook.pdf

The essence of which is this (from page 22):

Tuition 8649
Room/Board 12681
Books/Supplies 2150
Personal 4494
Insurance 1782
Computer 2500

From that, I would estimate that we would be refunded roughly 8587 per semester (half of room + personal). I'm planning on putting mine into a high yield savings account and taking only a portion (1/5 for the fall semester) out in advance to cover my expenses. From my calculations (http://www.calculatorweb.com/calculators/savingscalc.shtml) you should be able to make 65 and 98 bucks in interest off of the fall and spring semesters, respectively, using 4.5%APY from say http://www.emigrantdirect.com or http://www.hsbcdirect.com/.

Why go through all the trouble? Mainly because it takes 2-3 business days to transfer money from the savings account back into checking, which will force me to plan ahead and stay on budget. The extra 163 dinero? That's just gravy.

nightowl said:
Also, has anyone done that first year surgery program? Or any similar program that is supposed to give you a better idea of what you might want to specialize in?

Read back a page or two in this thread. I asked about the surgery/primary care scholars program.

sleepy_dwarf said:
From that, I would estimate that we would be refunded roughly 8587 per semester (half of room + personal). I'm planning on putting mine into a high yield savings account and taking only a portion (1/5 for the fall semester) out in advance to cover my expenses. From my calculations (http://www.calculatorweb.com/calculators/savingscalc.shtml) you should be able to make 65 and 98 bucks in interest off of the fall and spring semesters, respectively, using 4.5%APY from say http://www.emigrantdirect.com or http://www.hsbcdirect.com/.

When I talked with Jeremy and his room mate, they both said that they have at least 6-7K per semester left over. They said it varies for every person, but the money was more than enough to cover their expenses and go out to eat regularly.

I agree with the high yield savings account. I use ING, but I am going to check out the others you mentioned in case they have a high introductory interest rate for new customers. ING has different specials for new customers, so watch the website so you can get a good one. Sometimes it is $20 for opening a new account, others it is a 4.75% introductory (3.83% regular) rate.

Sondra said:
When I talked with Jeremy and his room mate, they both said that they have at least 6-7K per semester left over. They said it varies for every person, but the money was more than enough to cover their expenses and go out to eat regularly.

I agree with the high yield savings account. I use ING, but I am going to check out the others you mentioned in case they have a high introductory interest rate for new customers. ING has different specials for new customers, so watch the website so you can get a good one. Sometimes it is $20 for opening a new account, others it is a 4.75% introductory (3.83% regular) rate.

Both of the ones that I listed seemed to offer 4.5% as their regular rate, and ING is currently up to 4.15% per their site. Regardless of who everyone chooses to go with, it certainly beats earning a fraction of a % with a traditional savings, or even worse by letting it rot in checking.

And all the high-yield savings are better linked to the prime rate, which seems like it will be going up up up... :D

Along with our loan rates, mortages, car loans... :(

Do these high yeild accounts not have early withdrawl or withdrawl fees? How will you withdraw the money...on a monthly or bimonthly basis or what?

while we are on the subject of money, if you consolidate a loan does it automatically go into the repayment phase? Is there anyway to get a fixed interest rate on this our students loans once we get them?

semesters, respectively, using 4.5%APY from say http://www.emigrantdirect.com or http://www.hsbcdirect.com/.

Why go through all the trouble? Mainly because it takes 2-3 business days to transfer money from the savings account back into checking, which will force me to plan ahead and stay on budget. The extra 163 dinero? That's just gravy.[/QUOTE]

the hsbcdirect lets you have an ATM card and allows unlimited withdrawls if you use the ATM card. (6/month for electronic transfers).
Wow I am definately going to look into this!

www.capitalone.com has a 4.55% APY money market account with lots of good features and no fees or minimum balances, i like capital one, they haven't done me wrong yet........i'm definitely going to look more into this

hunter1077 said:
Do these high yeild accounts not have early withdrawl or withdrawl fees? How will you withdraw the money...on a monthly or bimonthly basis or what?

No, the accounts do not generally have penalties for withdrawing your money, since they act pretty much like a no-minimum balance savings account. The caveat to that statement is that emigrant's only posts the accumulated interest on the last day of the month, so time your withdrawl after that so you don't miss out.

The general withdrawl mechanism is like scheduling an online bill payment, but in reverse. Just go online, tell them how much you want to take out, and it is electronically credited to your funding checking account. So you can time the withdrawls to your needs.

I'm glad these posts got people thinking about making their money work for them, instead of the other way around. If you think this is impressive, just think about funneling a portion of our one day six figure salaries into our 401k/IRA's...ah, the power of interest. That'll be my in-depth post for my next workweek. Cheers!

johndavid said:
while we are on the subject of money, if you consolidate a loan does it automatically go into the repayment phase? Is there anyway to get a fixed interest rate on this our students loans once we get them?

While I'm not sure about all lenders, I believe the general answer is no. However, you should make every effort to pay off the interest that your unsubsidized loans accumulate during the course of school and your grace period, so that is less that becomes capitalized once you begin repayment.

Sondra said:
I started a thread like this a while ago, and one person responded to tell me that I was the only person in Mississippi. So, count me in.

c/o 2008
Bioengineer
Pedonc

c/o 2009
Biosailgrl
JeremyWigginton
Perrin
Wing_it

c/o 2010
Femily (oops ... c/o 2013)
Hunter1077
Johndavid
Loxceles
Nightowl
Shooks
Sleepy_dwarf
Sondra
Superstarr

Class unknown
Shelby Coral
Scotty T. Doc2b

c/o 2010........wahoo!

9 out of 110......not bad :laugh:

I have been told that the new classrooms do not have enough room for the classes of 100 students. If that is true, where are they going to put 110?

hunter1077 said:
I have been told that the new classrooms do not have enough room for the classes of 100 students. If that is true, where are they going to put 110?

They do have room, but you will be cozy when they have mandatory events. Once people stop coming to class, the rest of the students can spread out and have lots of room. The real problem is that the room is flat, so you can't see anything unless you are on the front row. We loved the amphitheaters and were very unhappy when they told us that the rooms in the new building would be flat, but the administration seems to have a habit of trying to fix things that aren't broken.

why did they ever think it would be a good idea to build a flat room for 100 students? that seems like such a waste. no wonder attendence is dropping...

Somebody probably complained that they did not have anywhere to plug in their computer and administration though..... :idea: Let's build a new classroom. Im sure it was cheaper than putting plugs in the auditorium. :smuggrin:

There are plugs under the chairs in the auditoriums.