University of Mississippi, 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interested in hitting up a movie this week? I know it's short notice, but I am definitely behind on my summer movies. Maybe Wednesday? Or this weekend? Let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

MillertimeUA said:
Anyone interested in hitting up a movie this week? I know it's short notice, but I am definitely behind on my summer movies. Maybe Wednesday? Or this weekend? Let me know!

I will be in town starting Friday 7/21 until Sunday. My significant other will be with me, but we both love movies. If you want to meet up, give me a call. I will PM you some contact information.

Bioengineer said:
...Folks, here is a document I wrote up to give my M1 buddy. You may find some...

I thought it would be appropriate to post my scores from the M1 year since I was the one shelling out the advice.

I thought I'd share these with you to give you a reference mark for next
year based on the time I put into the school year. It took me a while to adjust
to the M1 year, but I think I was getting the hang of it in the end.

Gross Anatomy 83
Histology 85
Neuro 83
Dev Anat 80
Biochem 82
Core Concepts 98
Integrative Med 91
Physiology 86
Genetics 87
Psychiatry 99

total average 86

Class rank will be released sometime near the beginning of school. I'll let
you know when I do.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind me asking what your rank is? also, what specialties are you interested in?

nightowl said:
do you mind me asking what your rank is? also, what specialties are you interested in?
rank will be released soon and i'll let you know. my interests run the gamut from primary care to fields as competitive as radiation oncology. No surgery though, unless I become drawn to Ob Gyn for some crazy reason, but don't think that's going to happen.

Bioengineer said:
rank will be released soon and i'll let you know. my interests run the gamut from primary care to fields as competitive as radiation oncology. No surgery though, unless I become drawn to Ob Gyn for some crazy reason, but don't think that's going to happen.

so, bioengineer: you obviously did well and mentioned you "caught on" after a while. can you expound and tell us how you studied and did well?

thanks!

burleigh said:
so, bioengineer: you obviously did well and mentioned you "caught on" after a while. can you expound and tell us how you studied and did well?

thanks!

I gave some "advice" on page 6 of this forum. That included what I did and what I wished I had done. Soon, you will also have access to a website with lots of cool stuff for first year (stuff that we didn't have access to). This is being set up by one of the c/o 2009 students. see you in a few weeks!

Here are the plans for lunch...

Thursday, August 3 @ 4PM

La Cazuela Mexican Grill
(601) 353-3014
1401 E Fortification St
Jackson, MS 39202

Happy hour drinks and food.....

We will sit on the patio. There will be a note taped to the back of a chair that says "UMC 2010."

Directions:

I-55 to exit 96C head west when you get to the red light it is on the south side.

anyone know of a good place to stay or someone looking for a roommate? I'm an incoming M1 and am in dire need of a place to live. My current arrangements have me living out of a waterless and AC-less "guest house"

Looking for someone to board in the house I just bought- 3/2 with roommate getting larger bedroom; fully furnished house with dog... PM me...

I am looking for a room mate too. I sent you a PM.

Congrats to you all on coming to UMC this year. I haven't really had a chance to read through the threads on here, but there are a few quick bits of info I thought you might find useful. The first is, in case you didn't already know, is that your M2 buddy does not have your email/contact info, so don't feel put out if they dont contact you first- they just don't know how. Most should be helpful, but unfortunately, not all are, so also don't be afraid to ask around among M2s...the worst they can do is not answer your email.

As far as books, the ones you will definitely need to have are:

1. Grey's anatomy for students
2. Medical Physiology (Guyton)
3. Neuroanatomy Atlas (don't need til later in the year though)

in addition, it is a very good idea to get
1. the supplemental question book for the phys text
2. Gross Anatomy Rapid Review (written by your gross instructor- it is really good to study for gross written tests)
3. one of the additional gross atlases (Netter's, im my opinion, is far superior than Grant's, but Grant's does come with a CD program you can upload to your computer that has quizzes on it. You should go to a store that has them and compare for yourself).
4. Fundamental Neuroscience (at times difficult to understand, but if you want the good grade, or are interested in the field, its a good idea to get it)

Books I personally never ever used:
1. cell biology (pollard)
2. medical genetics
3. the developmental text (I didn't even own it)

Before buying, you should see if your M2 is willing to give or loan any books to you. We're all broke, so most won't mind at least letting you borrow them. Also, the library has all of the texts, but usually only one or two, so checking them out is also a possibility.

Now, for a little solicitation...
I have a stacked Frigidaire washer/dryer for sale, less than a year old. If anyone is interested, just get in contact with me an dwe can negotiate a price.

Good luck this year and hope you got something out of this post,
Curtis (M2)
[email protected]

Have I overlooked something or do we know where to go next tuesday? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
hunter1077 said:
Have I overlooked something or do we know where to go next tuesday? :confused:

:confused: I have no idea. Surely they'll let us know soon though.

johndavid said:
:confused: I have no idea. Surely they'll let us know soon though.[/QUOTE

no they don't have to, and stop calling them Surely - ha! I love that line.

I called Dr. Case's office today. They said that no one knows what we will be doing. Ms. Eaves said that it is the current running joke around the office.

She said that on Thursday or Friday that everyone should receive an email and that it will be posted on the website.

Unfortunately, I am moving tomorrow, and I won't have access to email :(

i've been told by numerous m2, 3, and 4's that they weren't told what to do and where to be very often by the administration during their first year- word is thats not one of their priorities or strong points- here's to hoping that will change!

I enjoyed meeting everyone at La Cazuelas - thank you for coming.

(As for my truck problem...It ended up being a faulty switch which stops the gasoline from running to the engine during an accident. It kept tripping itself. It cost about $19 to replace + $60 for a rental car.)

For anyone who doesn't know....We are meeting at Cups across from the school at noon on Tuesday.

Where is Room R153 ? Is that in the student union?

hz962 said:
Where is Room R153 ? Is that in the student union?

R153 is in the same building as the admissions office. It is the big amphitheater on your right as you enter the the long hallway (glass all along the left side of the hallway) as you are walking from the admissions office to the library.

See you tomorrow.

Here is some information I've accumulated on buying your textbooks online and saving a good bit of money. For my search, all books had to be in stock and available to ship the same or next day, and include access to any of the online extras available in the bookstore.

I used http://www.cheapestbookprice.com/ to find these prices, and compared them to some other sites such as barnes and nobles, etc. to find the best price.

Book Name ISBN UMC Sellor Price
Cell & Tissue Ultrastructure 0-7167-7033-4 $87.95 Amazon $64.76
Atlas of Human Anatomy 1-4160-3385-8 $76.95 Amazon $74.95
Emery's Elements of Genetic 0-4431-0045-4 $58.95 Amazon $56.95
Wheater's Functional Histolo 0-443-06850-X $71.95 Amazon $69.95

Cell Biology 1-4160-2388-7 $84.95 Buy.com $70.92
Gray's Anatomy for Students 0-443-06612-4 $73.95 Buy.com $64.76
Basic Histology, 11th Ed 0-07-144091-7 $61.95 Buy.com $51.46
Biochemistry, 3rd Ed 0-7817-2265-9 $48.95 Buy.com $40.45
Medical Physiology, 11th Ed 0-7216-0240-1 $105.00 Buy.com $89.10
Companion for Medical Phys 1-4160-0213-8 $36.95 Buy.com $34.95
First Aide for Step 1 0-07-146115-9 $46.95 Buy.com $40.46

Grant's Atlas of Anatomy 07817-4255-2 $74.95 eCampus $69.30
The Developing Human, 0-7216-9412-8 $61.95 eCampus $53.53

**Amazon has a free 3 month trial of their Amazon prime membership going. It gives you 2nd Day air shipping for free. I paid an additional 20.58 and 12.98 for 2nd Day air shipping costs for my Buy.com and eCampus orders, respectively.

***eCampus offers an additional 5% off membership discount for $25 bucks, but the discount wouldn't cover the cost of the membership. So the prices listed are the prices given to non-members.

Total cost for required books (plus First Aide for Step 1, which I wanted now) was $781.54 with an additional 33.56 for shipping, for a grand total of $815.10.

Cost of buying at the bookstore would have been $891.40, with an additional 62.40 for tax, is $953.80.

Net savings by buying online: $138.70

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying online. And sorry about the formatting...I have all this info in a much more readable excel file if anyone wants it.

Anyone happen to ask about IDs today. I thought we would have recieved them today.

From what I heard via the grapevine, they should be forthcoming by the end of orientation...so maybe tomorrow?

This is information that was passed down to me. I was given permission to share it with everyone if I did it anon...

Biochemistry

Professors
Herbert, Hosler, & Brown are great in my opinion. Herbert is entertaining while Brown and Hosler are laid back. You will have to type a ton of notes on the slides in a Brown lecture, if you choose to take some of you own notes. (I recommend that you always type some points on your own because the note service isn’t perfect). Olsen tends to read off his slides, so you won’t have to add much to his slides. Correia is…I don’t remember. I think he was a blend of Olson and Brown. Lou will teach a couple of lectures. His slides are wonderful…don’t worry if you can’t understand him due to his accent. The slides say it all.

Study Materials/Books
If you study class lectures that will serve you well for the teswts and quizzes, but the board is another story. Also, the test bank is great. They typically use similar questions and topics. I used the Rapid Review Se4ries books for biochem and portions of cell and molecular biology (due to a 2 evening window for studying) and I did ok on the boards, BUT I feel as if I answered many questions based on past knowledge and lab experience. Lipincott’s review book is a good one to use all year as your “textbook” and board prep. Many of the profs use pictures from it in lecture. Read as you cover the topic in class it may help fill in the gap between what the department thinks is important and what the board thinks is important. My significant other used the Board Review Series (BRS) book for biochem, and he found them unsatisfactory. Again, it my be a better book for year long use than short term board prep. Overall, the biochem board is hard to study for. No review book is great and the test is just plain hard.

I think they are teaching you from a review book to focus your studies, so your experience will be different. I am sorry I can’t give you better advice.

Summary

Study class notes, lecture slides, and old exams/quizzes to prepare for class exams and quizzes.
Use review books all year to bridge education gaps and for board study.
The board is hard…don’t freak when you take it.

GENETICS

Professors
Dr. Bock is the head guy. There are many other profs too. Raman is good. I can’t remember the other people’s names, but the Asian guy’s lectures are highly skippable. Generally, this is poorly attended. Try to go, if you can…so as not to upset Dr. Bock.

Study Material/Books
Study lecture ntoes from Dr. Bock and Raman, particularly. Their lecture material dominate the exams. Look at old exams to get “inspiration.” They will direct you to what Dr. Bock thinks is important. The exams are a fun ride. Most people blow off this class, but if you study in an ideal manner (a little all the time), it will go great. If you don’t, you will do fine too.

Summary
Attend class when Dr. Bock and Raman teach.
Study Dr. Bock & Rahman’s lecture slides and class notes.
Look at old exams to pinpoint what are important topics.
Good luck – this class is a bit crazy sometimes.

PSYCHIATRY

Professors

There are many MD’s that come in and give an isolated lecture. Dr. Sarah RFack will be the contact prof. She is very nice and if you ask her nicely, she will give your class a study guide for the exams that will pin-point your focus.

Study Materials/Books
A lot of people will not attend the lectures, but some of the lectures are interesting. Don’t buy anything g for the class. Dr. Rack’s guide, lecture notes, and the internet will serve you well. Everyone does well in the class. The board is during the M2 year…Don’t sweat it, yet.

Other
Toward the end of the year, you will conduct interviews on psych patients in a small group setting. You will interview as a pair in front of your small group. The only inconvenience of the exercise is dressing up. You will meet some interesting characters.

Summary
No books, just notes and guides
Go to class some, for heaven’s sake, if for nothing else but to keep Dr. Rack pleased!

PHYSIOLOGY

Professors

Let me make this easy – There are a ton of profs and most are great.
Two, however, are a concern.
My advice is as follows in these two areas:

1. Make sure that you study the respiratory material from both the lecture and from a review book such as BRS physiology. He only gives scanty handouts that inadequately present the material. The prof that covers this material acts nice and teaches on one level, but you will curse his name on his exam if you don’t study material beyond what he teaches. It doesn’t hurt to look at old exams on this area. You will notice the great citation in his questions through the years. Don’t expect repeat questions, but you may see a similar style of question – or you may not.

2. Make sure you study the endocrine material well. The prof teaches the material well and has good slides, but his exam questions can be difficult. Study his slides and practice with old test questions.

Study Materials/Books
Just study the lecture slides, go to class and you be fine (with the two exceptions noted above). I never opened the book. If you have trouble, use BRS physiology to fill in the gaps and to help you prepare for the boards. Our board was biochem heavy, so don’t be shocked when you study for the physiology board and get a biochem surprise.

Other
This class is not one to skip. They give quizzes all the time that are used as bonus points. These points are very valuable. Every question you get right erases a point you missed from your overall total…it will make sense later. Also, some profs only give handouts in class and don’t offer power points; so you must either attend class to get them or get a friend to save you a copy.

Summary
BRS Physiology is the book of choice.
Study class lectures, slides, and old exams
Watch out for the respiratory and endocrine exams
Go to class as much as you can.

I agree with valuable info. I would add to the physiology advice that knowing the menstral cycle in as much detail as possible is a must for the board. We briefly skimmed over it towards the end of the year and the professor's test wasn't too difficult, but it seemed as though 1/3 of the boards questions were related to this.