University of Mississippi, 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pedonc said:
They do have room, but you will be cozy when they have mandatory events. Once people stop coming to class, the rest of the students can spread out and have lots of room. The real problem is that the room is flat, so you can't see anything unless you are on the front row. We loved the amphitheaters and were very unhappy when they told us that the rooms in the new building would be flat, but the administration seems to have a habit of trying to fix things that aren't broken.

I think part of it was because the there was no one building that you could point at and say "that is the medical school". All the other professions have their own fairly modern buildings. The med school was spread out in various classrooms and labs.

As for the flat auditorium/classroom. I bet the admin told the architect that these were all going to be classrooms. If they had told the architect that it was going to more of an auditorium, it probably would have had a sloped floor.

Members don't see this ad.

The funny thing is the administration actually planned for the floors to be flat. They thought it would allow the professors to "interact" more with the students since they would be able to walk down the aisle. When they told the people that were M1s/M2s at the time that was the plan, the students balked, but the administrators disagreed. For the record, our professors think it is dumb, too. At the beginning of the year, one of the pharm profs insisted that his classes be conducted in the amphitheater, and a few of them were. Then Dr. Moore tried to get the amphitheaters for all the gross lectures, and the admin made a new rule that none of our classes were allowed back in the amphitheater. However, we are not allowed to take tests in the new classrooms because we have to sit too close together, so we take all of our tests in the amphitheater. Welcome to UMC :D

Pedonc said:
There are plugs under the chairs in the auditoriums.

I didnt know that. I have been in there many times and NEVER noticed. Thanks for telling me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pedonc said:
The funny thing is the administration actually planned for the floors to be flat. They thought it would allow the professors to "interact" more with the students since they would be able to walk down the aisle. When they told the people that were M1s/M2s at the time that was the plan, the students balked, but the administrators disagreed. For the record, our professors think it is dumb, too. At the beginning of the year, one of the pharm profs insisted that his classes be conducted in the amphitheater, and a few of them were. Then Dr. Moore tried to get the amphitheaters for all the gross lectures, and the admin made a new rule that none of our classes were allowed back in the amphitheater. However, we are not allowed to take tests in the new classrooms because we have to sit too close together, so we take all of our tests in the amphitheater. Welcome to UMC :D

Not being able to see has got to piss some people off.

hunter1077 said:
Wont that external CD drive be a pain to deal with?

My current laptop is a larger desktop replacement (7lbs and 15.4" screen), and I don't really use the optical drive all that much, just to rip music and install software. I wouldn't recommend it if you were thinking about using it for a travel DVD player, etc.

I think the loss of the CD is well balanced by the fact that the Gateway only weighs 3lbs, and still retains the ports I use most (video out for projectors, USB, and PCMIA).

Thanks for pointing that out though hunter, I hadn't noticed that. Averatec is a lesser known laptop brand that makes several light (~4lbs) laptops with internal DVD-R, most in the $850 range.

http://www.averatec.com/notebooks/3700series.htm

Man I hope UMC doesn't make us buy that expensive Howard crap. I haven't heard one good thing about them from any of the M1 & M2's I met during Second Look.

so new topic. What do people in med school do for fun? :D

Hi! It looks like I'm one of your classmates! I'm super excited! (As you can tell by the abundant but tasteful use of exclamation points.) I'm from the University of Alabama, so yeah for diversity! Of course that means I have not met anyone b.c the Admissions Office plans all the out-of-state lunches in Jackson on a random Tuesday afternoon, like I have the time to drive 3 and 1/2 hours... Sorry, felt the need to vent...

Well, I'm new to this whole thread thing, but I'm totally going to try to get the hang of it. But excuse any "thread faux pas" I might make.

MillertimeUA said:
Hi! It looks like I'm one of your classmates! I'm super excited! (As you can tell by the abundant but tasteful use of exclamation points.) I'm from the University of Alabama, so yeah for diversity! Of course that means I have not met anyone b.c the Admissions Office plans all the out-of-state lunches in Jackson on a random Tuesday afternoon, like I have the time to drive 3 and 1/2 hours... Sorry, felt the need to vent...

Well, I'm new to this whole thread thing, but I'm totally going to try to get the hang of it. But excuse any "thread faux pas" I might make.

Welcome, so are you from Mississippi?

johndavid said:
while we are on the subject of money, if you consolidate a loan does it automatically go into the repayment phase? Is there anyway to get a fixed interest rate on this our students loans once we get them?

Some loans do automatically go into repayment when you consolidate. Check with the lender to find out. I used Education Services Foundation (esfweb.com). They have a link on the left side of the page for UM and USM alumni. They allowed me to still have my graduation grace period after I consolidated. I consolidated all of my loans just before I graduated (consolidated in May 2005, graduated in August 2005). I knew interest rates would be going up July 2005, and I wanted to lock in the lower interest rate.

If there is a way to get a fixed interest rate while still in school, I don't know about it.

Sondra said:
Some loans do automatically go into repayment when you consolidate. Check with the lender to find out. I used Education Services Foundation (esfweb.com). They have a link on the left side of the page for UM and USM alumni. They allowed me to still have my graduation grace period after I consolidated. I consolidated all of my loans just before I graduated (consolidated in May 2005, graduated in August 2005). I knew interest rates would be going up July 2005, and I wanted to lock in the lower interest rate.

If there is a way to get a fixed interest rate while still in school, I don't know about it.

For fun in medical school, our class, the class of 2009, has done many things. A few of which involve cross dressing, costumes, tacky days, sleeping in class, crawling under fences for coffee, 5ks, 10ks, parties, paper ball fights, riots, chicken fights, headliners (RIP), dance offs, plus a myriad of etcs.

Scott

hunter1077 said:
Welcome, so are you from Mississippi?

Yep, I am officially a Mississippi resident (which means I have been paying an ungodly amount in out-of-state tuition here at Alabama). I grew up in the Metro-Jackson area, Clinton for anyone who is familiar with it.

PS- Who else is super pumped about gross lasting until March**?

**please note the sarcasm

Members don't see this ad :)
MillertimeUA said:
Yep, I am officially a Mississippi resident (which means I have been paying an ungodly amount in out-of-state tuition here at Alabama). I grew up in the Metro-Jackson area, Clinton for anyone who is familiar with it.

PS- Who else is super pumped about gross lasting until March**?

**please note the sarcasm

Believe me, it's a blessing in disguise. It will take forever to finish gross, but you will also have more time to study it. I couldn't imagine trying to cover all of it in ~2 months.

Perrin said:
Believe me, it's a blessing in disguise. It will take forever to finish gross, but you will also have more time to study it. I couldn't imagine trying to cover all of it in ~2 months.

I'll have to agree. You wouldn't believe how terrible it gets when your in there for 4 hours even 3 days in a row... you become numb to learning.. eventually you are just slashing and burning trying to make it look like you finished your dissection so that Dr. Moore doesn't frown on your group (Then you just say.. Well, We couldn't find it.. or, my favorite.. Our body just didn't have one of those) My advice, just try to get Something out of lab.. then spend plenty of time learning things from the Moore and Roy (aka the Blue and White) book. --- Which is a MUST HAVE book. If you memorize it word for word and use the CD that comes with it, then you can make an A on every written.

JW

I just think it's funny that every family friend who went to UMC pre-curriculum change always says, "Don't worry, first year gets better after Thanksgiving, after gross.." And I have to tell them the horrifying truth. They always look at me with disbelief and pity.

um, I'm a little worried about the condition of the cadavers, after oh, 8 months? :eek: But as far as gross lasting that long, I'm sort of excited. I think the material will at least stick better, after studying it for so long instead of trying to cram it in in half of a semester.

Any other "must have" books?

So Moore and Roy is the way to go? What about Netter's flashcards? I've heard these are great, but not sure if effective study materials varies a lot from school to school.

nightowl said:
Any other "must have" books?

So Moore and Roy is the way to go? What about Netter's flashcards? I've heard these are great, but not sure if effective study materials varies a lot from school to school.

Flashcards are bad. The blue book is good. Just remember that Shh does everything.

flashcards = bad? aaaaaaaaaah!

but in all seriousness...i have almost zero bio background. i have no clue about anatomy, and i wanted something to look at this summer just so i wouldn't go into lab, etc, and then play catch up. (i'm not so much of a rote memorizer. engr = number jock)

any recommendations on primer-level study aids? nothing fancy...just something that i can look at and at least not be totally clueless when it comes to staring at the real thing.

NO way! I simply can't believe that flashcards are BAD? Tell me you're kidding! What is this blue book anyway??? Do you just stare at it and it goes into your brain? Because I normally like to quiz myself with all of the flipping flashcard action :love: I think I just took my dorkiness to a new level :p

Another question: what do people like to listen to when studying? Classical? Jazz? Any recommendations? Trying to get my ipod stocked...

nightowl said:
Another question: what do people like to listen to when studying? Classical? Jazz? Any recommendations? Trying to get my ipod stocked...

rufus wainwright, john legend, and cher (when i need to wake up!)

How does the intramural sports work? is it competition b/w the diff schools there, is there enough free time for a med student to participate, etc?

femily said:

but in all seriousness...i have almost zero bio background. i have no clue about anatomy, and i wanted something to look at this summer just so i wouldn't go into lab, etc, and then play catch up. (i'm not so much of a rote memorizer. engr = number jock)

any recommendations on primer-level study aids? nothing fancy...just something that i can look at and at least not be totally clueless when it comes to staring at the real thing.

The netters flashcards were a godsend to me. They are easy to carry around as opposed to the netters book. Also, you can quiz yourself.

femily said:

I don't know how useful this is compared to what we'll get into once we start gross, but I've enjoyed (i use the word loosely) looking at this web site occasionally. It's got some interesting anatomy stuff. Although, certain parts are still under development.

http://www.netanatomy.com/GA/ga_frame.htm

johndavid said:
How does the intramural sports work? is it competition b/w the diff schools there, is there enough free time for a med student to participate, etc?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Play intramural sports. It gives you a nice break from studying and lets you get to know your classmates better outside of the classroom. Its really not time consuming because you usually only have games once a week. They have flag football, indoor volleyball, ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, soccer and ping pong. Its okay not to win, although if you lose, they make you wear a big L on your forehead for the rest of the week. They also take points off your test.

If you can help it, try not to let people like Scott be on your team. He brings down the team morale and you will never win a game. And if you're going to play, you better play to win. Med School is not for losers. :smuggrin:

femily said:

Hey, one of the TOP (like top 3) people in the class never had a bio background. You will be fine if you don't study this summer. I've been out of school for three years and I did fine too. I'm #1 in the class (for my race, full blooded). This is your summer to have fun. I cannot emphasize that enough. We have fun in med school too, but it's different. We always have the "you should be studying" mentality looming in the background. Don't study yet, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nightowl said:
so new topic. What do people in med school do for fun? :D

All you do is study. For fun we go to coffee shops and talk about our aspirations in life over capaccinos.

Not really. If you enjoy games and you are over the age of 21, there are plenty of parties. We usually had one after each major test and the school has big ones with bands and free food and alcohol. We also sometimes sing Karaoke on Mondays and do Ladies Night at Martin's on Wednesdays. And there's also intramural sports, see above. A couple of us also went and ran the Crescent City Classic.

Then we make Scott cry.

johndavid said:
I don't know how useful this is compared to what we'll get into once we start gross, but I've enjoyed (i use the word loosely) looking at this web site occasionally. It's got some interesting anatomy stuff. Although, certain parts are still under development.

http://www.netanatomy.com/GA/ga_frame.htm

Flashcards are okay. If you really want to help yourself out, get the Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen. It shows what your dissection should and never will look like. Dont worry about the condition of the cadavers. They are a year or so old before you even see them. And no matter how long it takes 8 months or 3, the end result will be the same.

Study music... Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky, that is all you'll ever need

Scott, (Scotty T Doc2b is miriam gomez sanchez)

Folks, here is a document I wrote up to give my M1 buddy. You may find some of it useful. Not everyone will agree on every point, and opinions are like upper anal sphincters (innervated by..?). Anyway, here is my two cents. You will see more official stuff as the summer progresses.

WELCOME TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!
General points for the M1 year courses:
• Don’t waste time during lecture instant messaging friends or playing internet checkers or looking up usweekly.com or other timewasters. In fact, don’t take many notes (if any) during lecture. Just sit back and actively listen to what the faculty are teaching. Go ahead and use this time to make yourself learn new ideas and ask questions to the faculty. You can always go back later and listen to the audio of the lecture, review powerpoints, and read the note-service notes for each lecture.
• Make sure your class has a discussion board with a site for discussing serious school related items and one for kidding around, jokes, etc. But most importantly, make sure there is a forum dedicated specifically to Study Helps, mnemonics, etc.
• How can I say this?...The kids who went to Mississippi College will definitely have an edge in the anatomy classes (Gross anatomy, Neuroanatomy, Microscopic anatomy). Make friends with them or at least make sure that you study anatomy with them.
• It’s important to maintain an altruistic attitude towards each other as a class. Nip the “cut-throat” attitude in the bud at the beginning of the year. Remember, that you are all in this together. Help each other succeed. I think our class did a good job of being good to each other.

Gross Anatomy
• For each block, read the appropriate chapters from GROSS AND DEVELOPMENTAL ANATOMY by Tony Moore and William Roy and use the GRAY’S ANATOMY FOR STUDENTS FLASHCARDS. This is sufficient reading. Don’t waste time reading anything else. You don’t have the time! But a caveat: Buy or borrow the cross sectional anatomy text and study it prior to each test as there will be a few questions from it during each exam.
• Review the anatomy department’s powerpoint slides and pay particular attention to organs, muscles, bones, etc., and diseases, disorders that are mentioned in lecture. These will be on the test for sure.
• Don’t worry with using the dissector book in studying for the practical exams. Only use the allstar lists (but make sure you know everything on the allstar list, as anything on there is fair game for the practical). They have never tagged anything that is not on the allstar list.
• Attend Tony Moore’s lectures and Dr. Batchra’s lectures. Attend all gross anatomy clinical correlations. They are very good.
• Draw out nerve and arterial pathways to make sure you know what they look like.
• STUDY OLD TESTS!!! They are good practice for the exams.

Developmental anatomy
• Read the textbook and take the online quizzes and study the old tests. Tony Moore’s GROSS AND DEVELOPMENTAL ANATOMY book is also helpful on many parts in this course. Don’t stress out too much about this course. Dr. Sinning can be a bit confusing sometimes. Just read the textbook and know what it is talking about and you should do fine.

Neuroanatomy
• Purchase the Neuroanatomy atlas written by Duane Haines. This is an extremely valuable tool, as it comes with a CD that has full length written tests included on it and a way to test your knowledge of the anatomical structures through its digital practical exams section. I have heard that the textbook is helpful (but a boring read). I didn’t buy the textbook, but instead I read the BRS Neuro text. It was very high yield!
• Dr. Haines lectures include “Some Take Home Points” at the end of each powerpoint presentation. These are high yield! Know them. His lecture slides can appear confusing, but he is a good lecturer to just sit back and listen to.
• The other faculty in the department lecture on things that seem idiosyncratic, but they will get you on an exam if you don’t make sure you know what they are talking about.
• Neuro is not an easy course. It’s going to take some discipline to get all the pathways and structures in your memory (albeit short-term for some things).
• Definitely study the old tests.

Biochemistry
• Don’t buy the required textbooks, as these will not help you at all. Definitely buy the BRS Biochemistry book and use that as your textbook throughout the course. This will really help you understand important concepts and prepare you for the board exam.
• Learn important metabolic pathways early (TCA cycle, etc.) There is a good picture in the BRS book that lays this out nicely.
• Attend the lectures of David Brown and Michael Hebert especially.
• Definitely study the old tests.

Microscopic Anatomy (Histology)
• Don’t buy the textbook or the atlas for this course. The BRS Cell Biology and Histology book is written well. The faculty in this course have done a superb job with their powerpoint presentations and pdf documents. There are great pictures and descriptors for each topic. But…you will want to purchase the Cross and Mercer atlas that has EM pictures. (or you can borrow one from a friend before the test).
• All the faculty, minus one, are superb lecturers. Attend lectures and enjoy. Dr. Naftel is in the Hall of Fame and Dr. May just won Basic Science faculty member of the year for 2005-2006.
• Practical exams: Just keep reviewing the structures and you should do well on each test. There are not usually surprises. Be sure to look at different organs at several objective strengths (4x, 10x, 40x, 100x).
• Written tests were difficult for me no matter how much I read or studied. I think it was the way the questions were written that threw me off. Just do your best to understand all pathways.
• Studying old tests helps.

Physiology
• Purchase the textbook, as it was written by Arthur Guyton and read it. It is an easy read. Purchase the accessory red paperback book that has test questions in it and use them. (Don’t use them for the respiratory physiology section of the course, as these questions were not written by the faculty member who actually tests in this area). Also purchase the BRS Physiology review book, as this is exceptionally written in preparation for the USMLE Step 1 exam you will have to take at the end of your second year of medical school.
• Dr. Adair gives great lectures and makes the material easy to understand. He is a great teacher. Dr. Manning is great; make sure you attend his lectures. Dr. Hall will pimp you during class. Be on your toes. Dr. Dzielak’s lectures are easy to follow, especially in light of taking the Neuro course at the same time he lectures. Dr. Lohmeiher confuses himself during lecture and students. Be careful here. The endocrine section was my worst grade in physiology. Dr. Hester teaches respiratory physiology. He is tricky too. The other faculty members are easy to follow.
• The main point with Physiology is to make sure you understand what they are teaching as they teach it and ask them questions about anything you are unsure about. They are available to students and write questions that appear on board exams often.

Genetics
• This course could be prepared better. Don’t buy the textbook. I have flashcards that you can use to get points memorized in your head. Use their powerpoint slides as review. Make sure you know how autosomal dominant/recessive works, x-linked diseases, mitochondrial disorders, etc. Be able to draw out a pedigree and discuss the risks of getting a genetic disease.

Psychiatry
• Don’t worry about this class at all. The faculty will tell you exactly what will be on the test a few days before the exam. Just review information given to you at this point and you will do fine.

Bioengineer,

Thank you so much for this post! I will definitely be reading up on it when school starts :)

bioengineer,

Wow GREAT post! Thanks! What do you suggest that people who are not MC graduates do about Anatomy?

thanks

How click-ish are your classmates at UMC? How well do you get along with your class?

At first, I had this notion that there would not be any clicks. I just assumed that we would all share similar goals, so we would typically get along. Then, one of my friends were telling me about all the different groups at her school and how she hated them.

I just read thru a lot of this forum and all my counterparts and I have to say is take it easy. Don't study this summer, have fun!!! Check w/ your M1 buddy before you buy anything, unless your buddy is Scott Therrien, Kyle Thompson, or Scott Turner, these guys have no clue. :D I agree w/ biosail girl; stop the cut throat attitude before the year starts. Support each other. Stock up on petroleum jelly before the neuro block starts, it eases the pain. Read the discussion board for important information b/c the administration tends to do a poor job passing it along. Be sure to elect a good class president, don't play the popularity game. Gross is a good class, you'll learn a lot of valuable information. Don't worry about the cadavers holding up for 8 months, they do a good job of maintaining them. There is no time for fun. The most fun we've had all year is holding each other's hands while we drop a deuce. Be chill w/ everything and you'll make it. Whistles go Whoo whoo and Leprachauns attack. Be careful. $1.25 for a 20 oz Coke or 16 oz Pepsi is a rip off. About the Netter's flashcards: They have their place and are useful for some of the sections, but are pointless for others. As with every class, there are going to be GUNNERS. Don't worry about them. Have fun but don't get behind and you'll do fine. Just remember you wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for someone else picking a better school to go to. No seriously, this school has a lot of professors that have written very important books in their fields (Dr. Guyton) and the Hospital was the first to do lung and heart transplants. Give the curriculum a chance to iron out over the next 5 years and we'll be competitive.

Random facts learned throughout the M1 year:
This is not college, it's more like high school.
The sartorius is a muscle of the thigh, not a muscle of sexual reproduction
The thigh is not the same as the leg.
Mississippi is obese.
Nathan Maples is a sexy beast. Yeah baby yeah. But hands off fellas, his girlfriend will kill you.
Shh is the answer to everything.
Don't buy a testbank book being sold by Mr. Hogan. It's a rip off and we'll be providing something very similar. Details to come.

That's it for now, we'll add more later.

M1s out!!

hunter1077 said:
bioengineer,

Wow GREAT post! Thanks! What do you suggest that people who are not MC graduates do about Anatomy?

thanks

Hi, so I'm new to this forum. I'm an M1 who is an MC graduate, but didn't take any anatomy while I was there (don't ask me why not!) Actually, my thinking was that if I had to live through hell (anatomy classes) I only wanted to do it once. Regardless, I did fine in all the anatomy classes. Yes, it probably took a little more work than some of the people who took gross at MC. But the people who take the summer gross course here will also have an edge. Anyway, just wanted to say that -- not everyone from MC has an edge, but some of them will. But just because you didn't go to MC doesn't mean that you aren't going to do well in gross.
I recommend the Netter's flashcards, Rohen's Color Atlas, and actually, I read Gray's Anatomy. I didn't start reading it until the pelvis test towards the end of the class, and I read the entire 300 odd pages for head and neck. But I only read it because I wasn't happy with where my grade stood before those tests. It helped, but it did take some time. The Moore blue and white book is good for review, especially because it comes with a CD that gives you sample questions.
guess that's all advice I have for anatomy...
Enjoy the summer, seriously, don't study anything!

i am oddly excited about all this advice coming my way
thanks to everyone!!

i definitely plan to volunteer at the jackson free clinic this summer, has anyone done it?? is it worthwhile??

shelbycoral said:
i am oddly excited about all this advice coming my way
thanks to everyone!!

i definitely plan to volunteer at the jackson free clinic this summer, has anyone done it?? is it worthwhile??

I think the free clinic is great. As an m1/m2, spending an afternoon there reminds you why you went to medical school in the first place. It is also a great place to meet upperclassmen and get their advice.

Hey everyone,
The Family Medicine Interest Group is looking for an M1 to work with an M2 to share responsibilities as social coordinators. If any of you are interested in Family Medicine or just being part of a great group, Private Message me. It's great for your resume and you are an actual participant in this group. We'd love to have you!

biosailgirl said:
Hey everyone,
The Family Medicine Interest Group is looking for an M1 to work with an M2 to share responsibilities as social coordinators. If any of you are interested in Family Medicine or just being part of a great group, Private Message me. It's great for your resume and you are an actual participant in this group. We'd love to have you!

I found a web page that describes the FMIG for any other M1 who wonders what it's about. I assume it's still accurate. One of the current M1s can correct me if it's not.

http://fmignet.aafp.org/PreBuilt/fmig_2004_miss.pdf

Looking back, and this might seem counterintuitive, hard rock was really the best type for most of my friends. It gets so hard to pay attention in the library for hours in a row, so anything to keep you awake is great. I'd invest in some Metallica, The Flying Burrito Band, Korn, 9 inch nails, and People in Planes are some bands that worked for us all. Again, I know it seems weird to suggest that music, but it's what works and I'd buy some of that before you get here to UMC! good luck!

I'm sorry that I didn't elude to this in my previous post, but I think I should share what I did last summer that helped me through this year. Last summer before I started, I read all of the Thompson and Thompson Genetics book. This was the only way that I passed this terrible class. I found it extremely difficult to glean anything from class and old test so my book was my only ally. As for the old tests in genetics, throw them in the garbage. They are worthless. There will be people in your class who will tell you that these are helpfull, but don't listen. They are just trying to throw you off the trail so that they can do better. I found this out the hard way.
Now for Developmental Anatomy. If you haven't read Lanhman's guide to developmental anatomy before you show up to orientation, leave immediatly. If you haven't read this by orientation, you will have three days to go through this while your classmates are being oriented to UMC. It is a must read. I don't know how I would have passed this class without reading this before hand, Granted I did have to go through it again during the year.
Sorry for the rant, but I'm just trying to help you guys out.

"hypothetically speaking"... if an accpted applicant got some pretty rough grades the last semester of undergrad, what are the chances his offer of acceptance could be rescinded(sp). Ya'll know anyone that it's ever happened to just because of significantly decreased academic performance?

johndavid said:
"hypothetically speaking"... if an accpted applicant got some pretty rough grades the last semester of undergrad, what are the chances his offer of acceptance could be rescinded(sp). Ya'll know anyone that it's ever happened to just because of significantly decreased academic performance?

well...i think that as long as you pass your required classes (C or higher) you will be fine.

AlmostAnM2 said:
I'm sorry that I didn't elude to this in my previous post, but I think I should share what I did last summer that helped me through this year. Last summer before I started, I read all of the Thompson and Thompson Genetics book. This was the only way that I passed this terrible class. I found it extremely difficult to glean anything from class and old test so my book was my only ally. As for the old tests in genetics, throw them in the garbage. They are worthless. There will be people in your class who will tell you that these are helpfull, but don't listen. They are just trying to throw you off the trail so that they can do better. I found this out the hard way.
Now for Developmental Anatomy. If you haven't read Lanhman's guide to developmental anatomy before you show up to orientation, leave immediatly. If you haven't read this by orientation, you will have three days to go through this while your classmates are being oriented to UMC. It is a must read. I don't know how I would have passed this class without reading this before hand, Granted I did have to go through it again during the year.

I didn't study for this class until right before the tests. And guess what, I used old tests to study for the exam and I only did 20pts below average on the final exam and ended up with only a C- in the class. Not bad. Everyone I know ended up with an A in the class and they studied more than I did. What the heck.

Langdman's is good. I would use it as the main source for studying for DA tests and then Carlson's to supplement. Langdman's doesn't have all the Transcription Factors. Another friend of mine just used power points and she did fine. DA is worth 1.7% of your average for first year and Genetics isn't much more than that.

You should get a BRS Biochem and BRS Physiology to supplement studying during the year. BRS Biochem more so than BRS Physiology. Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, and Histo are worth a lot more than DA and Genetics.

Last piece of advice: Don't study this summer and have fun!

AlmostAnM2 said:

I read the dictionary this summer and read A-Fx of the Encyclopedia Brittanica. I felt like I did fine.

biosailgirl said:
I didn't study for this class until right before the tests. And guess what, I used old tests to study for the exam and I did above the average on the final exam (because it was from all old tests and that's the only thing I studied) and ended up with an A in the class. Everyone I know ended up with an A in the class and they studied less than I did. I'm not a great test taker. USE OLD TESTS. Lots of them. 80% of the final exam was from old tests.

Langdman's is good. I would use it as the main source for studying for DA tests and then Carlson's to supplement. Langdman's doesn't have all the Transcription Factors. Another friend of mine just used power points and she did fine. DA is worth 1.7% of your average for first year and Genetics isn't much more than that.

You should get a BRS Biochem and BRS Physiology to supplement studying during the year. BRS Biochem more so than BRS Physiology. Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, and Histo are worth a lot more than DA and Genetics.

Last piece of advice: Don't study this summer and have fun!

Well, While I will readily agree that everyone has different study patterns, you must believe me when I tell you about these classes. To expand on what I was saying previously, you also need to have read and partially memorized the DSM IV for psychiatry before you get here. Without this information, you are sunk!!! Did you hear me?...SUNK!!!

AlmostAnM2 said:
Well, While I will readily agree that everyone has different study patterns, you must believe me when I tell you about these classes. To expand on what I was saying previously, you also need to have read and partially memorized the DSM IV for psychiatry before you get here. Without this information, you are sunk!!! Did you hear me?...SUNK!!!

Actually, I agree with AlmostanM2. I actually studied for psych, genetics, and developmental during Christmas and Spring Break. I didn't even go home to visit my family or come out of my room. Be Scared. Medical School demands sacrifice and your first born.

AlmostAnM2 said:

Jen and Miriam never studied. THey just drew pictures of sartoriuses on their books.

Anyone know about working your M1 year (or M2 for that matter). Wife + kid = work. I am a pharmacist and can make some serious smack prn-ing but don't want flush everything with the feces for it.

DirteRx said:
Anyone know about working your M1 year (or M2 for that matter). Wife + kid = work. I am a pharmacist and can make some serious smack prn-ing but don't want flush everything with the feces for it.

If you do it, I wouldn't do more than 10hrs/week, but that's just me. You have to consider whether the debt you go into now to get the grades you need to pass is worth the sacrifice. Ask yourself whether that extra dinero is really going to make that much difference in the short term and long run. Only you and your wife know the answer to this question, but if you do work, make sure you can easily quit if the burner gets too hot during the semester. Best of luck!

I was wondering how many of ya'll are going to be in the Jackson-area this summer. Since I went to school out of state I feel kinda out of the loop that I don't really know any of my future "please brew another pot of coffee and feel free to use crystal-meth instead of sugar because we have a gross test tomorrow morning" friends. Threads are fun and all, but I thought it might be nice to go out and have dinner and drinks together. I'm available for the next two weeks if anyone is interested!