University of Mississippi c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations on being accepted into medical school! My name is Jason Smith, and I am an outgoing M4. I own a 3 bed 1 bath home in Northeast Jackson just off Old Canton Rd, exactly 5 miles from UMC. If you are interested in buying a home ours is for sale. Click on the hyperlink and enter the following listing number in the appropriate box. Here is the number: 205375 and here is the hyperlink: http://homesearch.jacksonrealtor.com/(ui5g2tvi1aegco45bpflqd55)/propertySearch.aspx

Good luck in medical school! It can be a tough road somedays but it is worth it in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently read a book that I would highly recommend everyone checking out before next year. It tells the history of how UMC began from its humble beginnings to get where it is today. It's quite a motivational story and just thought I would pass it along to all the incoming M1s.

http://www.amazon.com/Promises-Kept...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242017011&sr=8-1

I got this book for Christmas from my parents! I've only gotten through part of it, but it's really good. I second the recommendation :thumbup:

hey guys- Congrats to all of you!
MSU grad here-been out in Dallas ever since and applying to med schools this cycle for 2010. The question I have about UMC is residency. I know that it's been known to only take students from within the state of Missisippi, but what about those who grew up there all their lives (22 yrs) and just happen to be in another state right now as a resident. is there any way in that you guys know of for someone out of state who would love to get back to the great state of MS?

MSU grad here-been out in Dallas ever since and applying to med schools this cycle for 2010. The question I have about UMC is residency. I know that it's been known to only take students from within the state of Missisippi, but what about those who grew up there all their lives (22 yrs) and just happen to be in another state right now as a resident. is there any way in that you guys know of for someone out of state who would love to get back to the great state of MS?

I would think you could still qualify as in-state as far as applying to UMC but to confirm this I would email the school at [email protected] . Any questions I've ever had the admissions office has been very helpful in answering. Also they are very fast at responding to emails, I've never had to wait more than a full business day to receive a reply. Good luck with your medical school application!

thanks dustb- looks like you're a Choctaw!
I hear that MC has one of the most rigorous pre-med programs in the country so you should be VERY well prepared.

First of all, can I just say I had typed a forever long thread that self-destructed ;)! Ah, I hate when that happens.

Matching:
Saw the match list around campus, found it impressive -competitive programs at competitive schools. Spoke with Macias who placed at Johns Hopkins in Ortho. He said 1) Just make it through the first two years. 2) Start studying for the STEP summer after 1st year. He read First Aid "at least seven times". 3) He did an away rotation at Johns Hopkins, where he stood out amongst Harvard, etc. students for being unpretentious and going the extra mile. If they asked him to pull an article, he pulled it and its references. These programs don't want a know-it-all who won't be able to reach their full potential. It's like a glass that's already full - any extra water is just excess/wasted. Their efforts to teach you are wasted and you will never be more than what you already are.
Also to keep in mind as far as matching, there is more than one way to skin a cat. The most recent version I've heard of this was from the director of my dept. He had told his g/f of the time that he would not do long distance if they were to be engaged/married. Essentially, she had to follow him. She matched in pediatrics at his school a year later and is now a practicing dermatologist near the Reservoir.
As a continuum between these and the following thoughts - We should not be discouraged when all SEEMS lost. When we give up and close a door on a seemingly lost opportunity, we will then never even know what opportunities we might have missed...they never even had a chance! We just have to keep on keeping on.

Motivation:
During not-so-spectacular times, like an earlier thread mentioned, we should remember that thousands of students have survived, are surviving, and will survive the difficult tests, days, and disappointments. As one of the docs in my dept reminds me, "What do they call a med school graduate?" "Doctor".
Re: an earlier thread on clinical experience. While time is very limited and few students make time for the JFC, if you really want to, you can. I met a first year there the weekend before they had physiology and histo exams. I remember a lunch with 2nd years where they were asking me about the free clinic. They were wanting to go b/c they needed to be reminded of why they were doing what they were doing (24/7 library,etc.) So, you can make time for it during school and/or I would suggest jotting down a few clinical experiences of the past or really treasuring current/future ones to keep in mind as motivation during the first two years. I know this kind of thing helped me through my masters where all I essentially had time for was studying! :D

Yay us! Future doctors! Forever students and healers of the human mind/body!

First off, as Dusty (assuming that's you;)) mentioned, I would contact the very helpful Admissions Office. I was in reverse situation of you MSU grad. I grew up in MS, graduated from MS high school, UNC-CH for college, Austin for a year,MC for Masters, and now starting at UMC in the fall. I was away for 5 years then came back for the Masters. I have always had my parents here and never fully declared residency in NC or TX. If you have in TX, you may be in a little trickier of a situation, but you will undoubtedly be much better off than those who have no history here and try to gain residency just for acceptance into school.

In the MC Masters program we had a student from Wisconsin trying to gain residency here for dental school. He registered to vote here, got his driver's license and car tag here, (not sure what else), but before he tied all of that up he got into another dental school. It seems after speaking with our dental school he felt he had a chance of getting in after obtaining residency. And so, again it seems to me that you would have a much better chance of getting in.

Have you seen the secondary yet where they ask you to track where you have lived every year of your life? I would think this is to get an idea of how much of a MS resident you are. I think they would look with favor upon you.

Obviously you have to speak with Admissions, because the matter of residency is not subjective/up to what the committee wants - it's a bureaucratic you have to cross your i's and dot your t's. One last word of advice, if you would need a year living "off-campus" to gain residence in MS before you can apply, I would suggest doing the Masters at MC. You seem to already know of its good rapport with UMC. Good luck! It sounds to ME like you shouldn't have any problems. Hope it works out for you!!

I got my dad the "Promises...." book for his birthday in February and he keeps mailing me excerpts. After what he and you guys have a said I am anxious to get a hold of it when he finishes.

First of all, can I just say I had typed a forever long thread that self-destructed ;)! Ah, I hate when that happens.

Matching:
Saw the match list around campus, found it impressive -competitive programs at competitive schools. Spoke with Macias who placed at Johns Hopkins in Ortho. He said 1) Just make it through the first two years. 2) Start studying for the STEP summer after 1st year. He read First Aid "at least seven times". 3) He did an away rotation at Johns Hopkins, where he stood out amongst Harvard, etc. students for being unpretentious and going the extra mile. If they asked him to pull an article, he pulled it and its references. These programs don't want a know-it-all who won't be able to reach their full potential. It's like a glass that's already full - any extra water is just excess/wasted. Their efforts to teach you are wasted and you will never be more than what you already are.
Also to keep in mind as far as matching, there is more than one way to skin a cat. The most recent version I've heard of this was from the director of my dept. He had told his g/f of the time that he would not do long distance if they were to be engaged/married. Essentially, she had to follow him. She matched in pediatrics at his school a year later and is now a practicing dermatologist near the Reservoir.
As a continuum between these and the following thoughts - We should not be discouraged when all SEEMS lost. When we give up and close a door on a seemingly lost opportunity, we will then never even know what opportunities we might have missed...they never even had a chance! We just have to keep on keeping on.

Motivation:
During not-so-spectacular times, like an earlier thread mentioned, we should remember that thousands of students have survived, are surviving, and will survive the difficult tests, days, and disappointments. As one of the docs in my dept reminds me, "What do they call a med school graduate?" "Doctor".
Re: an earlier thread on clinical experience. While time is very limited and few students make time for the JFC, if you really want to, you can. I met a first year there the weekend before they had physiology and histo exams. I remember a lunch with 2nd years where they were asking me about the free clinic. They were wanting to go b/c they needed to be reminded of why they were doing what they were doing (24/7 library,etc.) So, you can make time for it during school and/or I would suggest jotting down a few clinical experiences of the past or really treasuring current/future ones to keep in mind as motivation during the first two years. I know this kind of thing helped me through my masters where all I essentially had time for was studying! :D

Yay us! Future doctors! Forever students and healers of the human mind/body!

I totally agree. During my post-bacc, spending a few hours shadowing delivering babies or watching 24 weekers rally in the NICU kept me going. I can't wait to get involved :)

I totally agree. During my post-bacc, spending a few hours shadowing delivering babies or watching 24 weekers rally in the NICU kept me going. I can't wait to get involved :)

It sounds like you had some really moving experiences, our future friendly neonatologist ;) Care to share more? How did you find this opportunity?

It sounds like you had some really moving experiences, our future friendly neonatologist ;) Care to share more? How did you find this opportunity?

I actually just sent letters out to several local docs, praying someone would let me shadow. The OB put me "on call" with him, which was totally cool. I got to watch several deliveries from the mom side.

Then the neonatal group got approval from the hospital board and I spent a few months in there. Saw several deliveries from the baby side (much cooler :laugh:) and got to assist with some procedures and stuff such as finding umbilical lines. General peds is great, but neonatal is definitely where my heart is for now :) I can't wait to get involved at Batson and Wiser :love:

You guys should go here and add yourselves to the list!

Last edited:
Looking forward to meeting you guys and gals in a couple months! I was wondering what types of laptops you all are leaning towards as I am about to start shopping around. Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to meeting you guys and gals in a couple months! I was wondering what types of laptops you all are leaning towards as I am about to start shopping around. Thanks in advance!

I went for a Dell. I've had great results with them in the past... and they have a wonderful Vista Bonus package where XP comes installed and you can upgrade to Vista anytime you are ready (I figured it would be good if the software the school uses all upgrades to Vista at some point while we're there).

They are always running some great deals, so check out the website (and with all computer purchases, run a Yahoo! or Google search for "x company coupons" - "Dell Coupons" to find a coupon code that's valid... i ended up getting an additional 15% off my whole purchase that way!).

seeing so many students from UMC post gets me excited. i'm applying next year which means i'll be joining you guys in 2011 =D