University of Mississippi, 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, my apartment's off the market.
Good luck on apartment hunting everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone else currently in medical school have kids? I have a 6 month old and am trying to decide if the commitment to school would take all of my time from him. What is your daily schedule/studying like?

JeremyWigginton said:
Hey guys, its me again, the upcoming M2 with the room available. Here are some more stats about the apartment if you are interested in it:

- Located in Fondren Hill, across the street from UMC
- Rent + Utilities will be around 415 per month
- 2 BR & 1.5 Bath
- No pets, and I dont' have washer/dryer hookups - i use the facilities here in the complex
- Quiet and convenient location to anything you would need
- Flexible Lease (Month to month, or extended for less money)
- Location, Location, Location

Gimme a shout if you want more info or would like to see the apartment... You can see floor plans of the 2BR apartments and read about the location at www.fondren-hill.com

There is a Long waiting list for these apt's, so this is your chance to get in on the deal.

[email protected]
662-279-0837

Not that anyone else was very interested, but the apartment is now officially off the market. Have a fun summer ya'll...

Jeremy

Members don't see this ad :)
DirteRx said:
Does anyone else currently in medical school have kids? I have a 6 month old and am trying to decide if the commitment to school would take all of my time from him. What is your daily schedule/studying like?

I am an incoming M1 with two kids (3 1/2 and 14 months) so I have the same concerns as you do.

DirteRx said:

While I don't have kids, my brother-in-law is graduating optometry school at the end of this month with three kids on board, so anything can be done. To make sure that his study time stayed undisturbed, he bought one of those Home Depot pre-fab storage sheds and made it his shrine for studying. Desk, lights, heater...everything you need for studying, nothing you don't. It locked from the inside. That should tell you something, lol.

I live in Richland so I'll be around all summer, if you want to get together just let me know!!

MillertimeUA said:
I was wondering how many of ya'll are going to be in the Jackson-area this summer. Since I went to school out of state I feel kinda out of the loop that I don't really know any of my future "please brew another pot of coffee and feel free to use crystal-meth instead of sugar because we have a gross test tomorrow morning" friends. Threads are fun and all, but I thought it might be nice to go out and have dinner and drinks together. I'm available for the next two weeks if anyone is interested!

i wonder how diverse our class is going be...(just curious).

gah...i keep going back and forth whether or not i'm really going to like this. and i swear...if i hear one more "you better remember your ol' *insert name here* when i'm all sick, etc" or "what's your specialty going to be", i swear, i'm going to drop kick someone like it ain't funny. i think i'm just going to start saying "i'm going into the medical field" or something because if i say anything else, the old people get all sappy, or people think you're a child prodigy, or boys run away because you're too smart for them. bah! sometimes i just say i'm going to med school to become someone's trophy wife. that usually shuts them up.

Hey everyone,

The current M1s around having a Luau party after our last Board Exam, next Thursday May 25th. It's going to be from 4-8 at 441 Pimlico. You guys can look that up on Google.

The dress is luau. There is a pool, so bring/wear your swimsuit.
Food and adult beverages will be available. However,as an incoming M1 you are required to bring a bottle of your favorite bottle of their favorite adult beverage to share. However, if you do not drink, you can bring some kind of food, preferably homemade.
Try to carpool bc there will be a lot of cars.

We hope you guys come out, it will be a good opportunity to meet some of your classmates and us (hopefully M2s). If you know some other M1s not on the message board, let them know too.

If you have any questions, private message me
GZ

femily said:

There was very little diversity at the Ole Miss luncheon, if I remember correctly.

femily said:
gah...i keep going back and forth whether or not i'm really going to like this. and i swear...if i hear one more "you better remember your ol' *insert name here* when i'm all sick, etc" or "what's your specialty going to be", i swear, i'm going to drop kick someone like it ain't funny. i think i'm just going to start saying "i'm going into the medical field" or something because if i say anything else, the old people get all sappy, or people think you're a child prodigy, or boys run away because you're too smart for them. bah! sometimes i just say i'm going to med school to become someone's trophy wife. that usually shuts them up.

I get the speciality thing every time! What really is getting old though is "You better hurry up. I'm gonna need a *insert specialty* soon."

femily said:

Tell them you are going into forensic pathology and that if...no when they need your services that you will be glad to help.

I have heard that we are 50:50 male to female and that this class will have the most URM's ever admitted to UMC!

hunter1077 said:
I have heard that we are 50:50 male to female and that this class will have the most URM's ever admitted to UMC!

The second look program for URM's had 12 of us in attendance, with around 19 or 20 URM's accepted. Most of us who attended will be going to UMC this fall.

sleepy_dwarf said:
The second look program for URM's had 12 of us in attendance, with around 19 or 20 URM's accepted. Most of us who attended will be going to UMC this fall.

hopefully will be quite diverse- good to know there are more urm's than usual

Members don't see this ad :)
sleepy_dwarf said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "URM" stand for?

Is anyone else commuting/going to commute a good distance? I am possibly looking at an hour which isn't bad to me especially with the lack of attendance policy and notes/slides are online. How far is to far?

MillertimeUA said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "URM" stand for?

Under represented minority... And I only know cause I happened to read another thread about it a few days ago.

sleepy_dwarf said:

what is the "second look program"?

Anyone else see the news about the tuition increase? :eek:
I'm getting a little worried about borrowing all of this money. I just keep reminding myself that I'd be paying so much more if I had gone out of state. :idea:

Anyone whose been there have any advice on not going broke by the end of the year? Or is that not a problem really if you're living on the estimated budget for the year?

:scared: :scared:
nightowl said:
Anyone else see the news about the tuition increase? :eek:
I'm getting a little worried about borrowing all of this money. I just keep reminding myself that I'd be paying so much more if I had gone out of state. :idea:

Anyone whose been there have any advice on not going broke by the end of the year? Or is that not a problem really if you're living on the estimated budget for the year?

At least you dont have two kids to worry about in addition to your budget. I honestly wake up in cold sweats at night worried about the thousands of dollars I am going to have to borrow. Now I have at least 6 grand more to think about. :scared: +pissed+

hunter1077 said:
what is the "second look program"?

The second look program is a kind of "wine and dine"/orientation program that gives minority students a "second look" at UMC in the hopes of convincing us to go there. I was already decided on UMC before attending, so, for me at least, it was just a chance to make some new acquaintances and learn a little bit about the programs available. I know that there were several applicants with multiple acceptances that, after the program, decided to go to UMC.

hunter1077 said:
:scared: :scared:

At least you dont have two kids to worry about in addition to your budget. I honestly wake up in cold sweats at night worried about the thousands of dollars I am going to have to borrow. Now I have at least 6 grand more to think about. :scared: +pissed+

I also have two children, and I am just slightly ahead of you in med school at this point. I understand that medical school debt can be stressful. Try not to let debt thoughts consume you. Try and think of the debt as an investment into your career. Spend quality time with your wife and kids during med school. Don't neglect them! Medical school, especially the first two years, can be approached as an 8-5 job if you are focused and plan out your weeks well. You will put in a little more time during test weeks and you will also attend some saturday morning sessions during the year. Be sure to borrow enough money to pay your bills and be able to live off of and then live within those means. You will be fine. Good luck to you and accolades to your wife for supporting you through this, she deserves it!

how many M1's are planning on going to the luau? Count me in :D

When are refund checks issued? August? September? I am an incoming M1 student that just found this message board. I can't wait to see who is in the class. Also, is there anything we have to do on campus before orientation such as books, computers, etc.? Just curious when I should quit my job to have time to do these things.

hz962 said:
Just curious when I should quit my job to have time to do these things.

I'd also like to know when would be a good time to start quitting jobs and moving on down to Jackson (at least it's down for me).

hz962 said:
When are refund checks issued? August? September? I am an incoming M1 student that just found this message board. I can't wait to see who is in the class. Also, is there anything we have to do on campus before orientation such as books, computers, etc.? Just curious when I should quit my job to have time to do these things.

If everything worked out with your financial aid, you should have a check waiting for you on the first day of school. Make sure you have signed a master promissory note for your lender, as the school won't get your money until you do. It seems that sometimes they get sent to you automatically and other times you have to contact your lender. I would wait to buy books until you see if your buddy is going to give you any of theirs. Unless you are someone who just loves to read textbooks, you probably won't need to buy all of them, since test questions usually come straight off the powerpoints in most classes.

I asked financial aid last week about those loan things... they said disbursements for this year will be made August 11 and January 11. They're cutting it pretty close, huh. It would sure be nice to have help with rent in Jackson before school starts. I also emailed Dr. Case last week about the computer situation, and he said that they were still meeting about it last week and should tell everyone what they decided sometime this week. I might shoot him an email again.

Pedonc said:
Make sure you have signed a master promissory note for your lender, as the school won't get your money until you do.

What is this master promissory note and how do I get it? Man... almost every post I make shows my ignorance....

MillertimeUA said:
What is this master promissory note and how do I get it? Man... almost every post I make shows my ignorance....

It is the agreement between you and the lender about their giving you the loan and you paying it back. It's the legal contract you have to sign to get the money. Lenders will either mail you a form, email you a digital form, or email you a link to webpage where you can fill it out and print/submit it. Do not waste time doing this. The faster you get it returned, the faster you get your money. My lender emailed me the wrong link, so I didn't get my money for about 2 weeks past the disbursment date.

loxceles said:
I'd also like to know when would be a good time to start quitting jobs and moving on down to Jackson (at least it's down for me).

I moved down a week before orientation started. My parents helped me load up the UHAUL and unload it here in Jackson. The next day, I unpacked everything and got everything I needed (food, cleaning supplies, random stuff) at walmart and target. Then I drove back to starkville and hung out with my friends until orientation started.

The new computer policy is posted. For those who haven't read it, we have 3 options:
1. High End Dell Latitude D620 ($2053 from bookstore)
2. Moderately Priced Dell Latitude D620 ($1614 from bookstore)
3. Opt out of UMC laptop program, purchase a laptop from the vendor of your choice

At first, I thought I would take option 3 and buy my own because I've always been a Toshiba man, but I've started thinking I'd be better off going with option 1.

What do ya'll think of the new policy and which option will you choose? I definitely think its an improvement over the old policy.

http://som.umc.edu/Computers/Adv-Disadv2006.pdf
http://som.umc.edu/Computers/OptionComparison2006.pdf
http://www.umc.edu/intranet/forms/forms/Minimum_Laptop_Specification_2006.pdf

Does anyone know if they are going to send us another financial aid award letter since the tuition has increased this year and the loans should increase accordingly??

Also, by what date should I begin to get worried if I haven't received a promissory note?

Hope everyone's having a great summer so far!

I'm an entering M1 this August. Does anyone need a roommate? I'm a nonsmoker with Calico cat. Looking to live close to school in Vieux Carre or Fondren.

Peace
Erica

shelbycoral said:
Does anyone know if they are going to send us another financial aid award letter since the tuition has increased this year and the loans should increase accordingly??

Also, by what date should I begin to get worried if I haven't received a promissory note?

I also got worried after reading the message above, so I emailed financial aid about it and they sent me a link to my lender's site and I was able to sign it online. With all these increases and the computer fiasco, I've been doing some serious stalking with financial aid lest I sell my leg or first born or something.

shelbycoral said:

So here's me getting concerned....has everyone else gotten financial aid award letters and things in the mail (or email)? I haven't heard any word about it at all, and nothing about any promissory note or lender. I haven't bugged anyone at the financial aid office about it yet since I kinda thought I was in the same boat as everybody else. But maybe it sounds like I need to start doing some harassing??

Hey guys, Im going into my 4th year at UMC. I just came upon this thread. This website is great for step1, step2 and residency info so pretty much everything u need to succeed in terms of medschool is here. If any of u guys have questions about anything; let me know.

later
Omar

I volunteered at the Free Clinic for the first time today guys.. absolutely loved it!! Right from the start you get to be involved a lot more than you might think. Anyway, I'd recommend it to anyone that can make it sometime this summer. It'd be worth the trip.

Taintedlove said:
So here's me getting concerned....has everyone else gotten financial aid award letters and things in the mail (or email)? I haven't heard any word about it at all, and nothing about any promissory note or lender. I haven't bugged anyone at the financial aid office about it yet since I kinda thought I was in the same boat as everybody else. But maybe it sounds like I need to start doing some harassing??

I got my financial aid packet a little over a month ago. If you did your FAFSA before what ever the priority deadline was (March 31??) and the loan counseling thing they require I don't know why you wouldn't have gotten a financial aid offer. I would send a quick email or phone call to the financial aid dept just to check if it was me.

So is everybody going with the high option on the computers?

hunter1077 said:

I will be. I am loaning out so much money, why skimp on the computer?

I'm going to be saving a little money and going with the moderately priced Dell...now-a-days you only need a speed demon for games, and both laptops have integrated graphics, which means they can't handle most games. So I'll be investing my leftover monies! Besides, you can upgrade the RAM and HD pretty easily on laptops now, so the only major plus is the CPU. I'm just happy we don't have to deal with Howards. I'm sure the upperclassmen will be envious.

sleepy_dwarf said:
I'm just happy we don't have to deal with Howards. I'm sure the upperclassmen will be envious.

absolutely... I've spoken with 3 upper classmen so far about how this makes them feel and they are furious (using words like "death", "don't EVER mention", etc :mad: ) . Apparently, this may be messing up their warrenties also :thumbdown: . Yet another reason they are unhappy with the administration right now.

femily said:
grrr...probing physicals me no like.

My physical lasted two minutes. She said...do you have any health problems? I said... no, but I do have some poison ivy on my face (don't ask). She said okay. Filled out the paper and handed it back. They took my $35, and I never have to see them again. WooHoo. I thought it was going to be a lot more difficult.

I went to one of those walk in clinics (urgi-care). My family doc was booked through July for physicals. I lucked out.

loxceles said:
:),

Earlier in the thread, someone was talking about how the class was almost 1/3 people from Ol' Miss. I'm an odd duck out I guess. I was looking over the buddylist and I'm the only one from my university...a sad state of affairs.

Nothing at all against Ol' Miss, though.

Your not alone. I'm the only person from Sweet Home Alabama (USA) and a nursing major too....can I go for a strike three on being odd person out???? :)

hunter1077 said:
My boyfriend, a total techie, said for the price difference the high end option isn't that much more power. He said for what I'll be doing the mid grade Dell was best! You can always buy more memory etc. from Dell later on and it'll be way cheaper! The high end option is to expensive through the bookstore! Down with the man!

I think that the moderate option computer will be sufficient. On the financial aid thing, definitely contact fin. aid. office to check. Better safe than sorry. I heard from a buddy of mine at UMC that the test schedule might be altered slightly (as in tests time between tests). Has anyone heard anything?

aurorax3 said:
My boyfriend, a total techie, said for the price difference the high end option isn't that much more power. He said for what I'll be doing the mid grade Dell was best! You can always buy more memory etc. from Dell later on and it'll be way cheaper! The high end option is to expensive through the bookstore! Down with the man!

So I know the memory is cheap, but what about the faster processor speed, 2.0 vs 1.67 and the 2.0GB DDR2 vs the 1.0GB DDR2. I know I like the faster processor but about how much is that worth? A processor can't be upgraded, right?

johndavid said:
So I know the memory is cheap, but what about the faster processor speed, 2.0 vs 1.67 and the 2.0GB DDR2 vs the 1.0GB DDR2. I know I like the faster processor but about how much is that worth? A processor can't be upgraded, right?

That is my worry, that 4 years down the road something will require a 2 GB processor and then I would not have enough. So, in the big picture what is $400 bucks when I will be borrowing a 100K?