University of Maryland College Park vs UMBC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if you've made your decision yet, but I went to UMBC and I'll let you know my take on it. Personally, I thought pre-req intro classes at UMBC were tougher than those at CP. I've seen some of the tests from CP and they seemed more "do-able" I guess. UMBC test averages for intro chem especially were really low and seemed really unnecessarily hard to me..and I did well on APs, in high school in general, and on my MCATs.

In addition, the health professions committee that helps you get your application and LORs in was really really bad at UMBC. I got no interviews my first time applying to med school because they took almost 6 weeks to send out my stuff and my application wasn't complete until December.

On the other hand, I loved my experiences at that school. And I've seen that they have hired a new health professions coordinator who did a much better job for my second time applying (although they still charge an insane fee to do so). Also, I've seen a lot of changes in curriculum since I've graduated.

In essence, your chances of getting into medical school are determined by how you perform in school, the kinds of ECs you get into, and the MCATs. Picking one school over another isn't going to significantly affect those variables. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

While you will receive a solid basic pre-med education at both schools, I think you will have a FAR better experience at College Park.

Outside of the fact that UMCP has so many extracurriculars to get involved with, they have a much better selection of courses as a science major. Some of the classes I took way back when I was an undergrad: biology of cancer, epidemiology, virology, endocrinology, recombinant dna. None of these are available at UMBC.

There are also quite a few faculty members at UMCP that do research at NIH.

thanks for the input!
I'm just a little scared that the pre-med courses at a Maryland, a huge flagship state school , will be really really hard; did you find this was the case?

No. I didn't think they were harder or easier than they should've been. I pulled Bs in O-Chem, but I didn't study except for the final, so I count myself lucky... Gen Chem, Physics, and Bio were attainable "A" grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I didn't think they were harder or easier than they should've been. I pulled Bs in O-Chem, but I didn't study except for the final, so I count myself lucky... Gen Chem, Physics, and Bio were attainable "A" grades.

good to hear. how would you compare difficulty to umbc?

good to hear. how would you compare difficulty to umbc?
I would say UMCP probably has a greater incentive for "weed-out" type classes. But it also depends on the teachers I would say. I don't think there is a wrong choice here, just make sure you do the best that you can.

there is some really quality information here but some of it seems to be conflicting. i myself am considering going to UMD next year but for me its in between Maryland, NYU, and a few other places which at this point are pretty much out of the picture. any more info would be great!

i'm going to maryland this weekend i'll let you know how i like :)

LOL, I must admitt that I had my gogo period during high school

I used to get dressed for school every morning to Sardines!

My friends and I would go to listen to gogo bands at one of the local high schools in PG county. It seemed fun at the time, but, in retrospect, it was just filled with horny (and usually high) teenagers and twenty-somethings. When I moved back to the DC area several years later, KYS would do late-night gogo. I think there's one station that still does. I don't understand the link with UMBC, though.

I used to get dressed for school every morning to Sardines!

My friends and I would go to listen to gogo bands at one of the local high schools in PG county. It seemed fun at the time, but, in retrospect, it was just filled with horny (and usually high) teenagers and twenty-somethings. When I moved back to the DC area several years later, KYS would do late-night gogo. I think there's one station that still does. I don't understand the link with UMBC, though.
:laugh:

after being at Maryland for the weekend a couple weeks ago, I can tell you that while you will definitely have a great time there, the party environment will be very seductive and may challenge your desire to study and succeed academically. if you are a fun loving person, you will have to work hard to resist many of the materialistic attractions there in order to commit yourself to studying hard. some people i met there started off pre-med and dropped it after being caught up in the party scene caused there gpa to self implode. im not saying not to go there, im just warning you that you will have to resist these things to succeed. this is the impression i got. now while surely any college will demand such self control, at a place like umbc i think it would be easier bc there isnt so much there socially/partylife speaking. academically im convinced the two are on par, and while university of maryland college park may have more options, i think that the classes themselves are HARDER AT UMBC, after talking to friends of mine at BOTH places following similar academic paths. anyways, good luck with the decision making... next week's the deadline for transfers right?

what????
are classes really harder at UMBC?!?!?!?!?!?
im going crazy

pixel-scared.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus, has anyone in this thread made a decision yet?

Haha, I know! To the guy choosing, this isn't an "end your life" type of decision. Just pick one and go with it, you will be happy anywhere! At least you're not going to Essex!

Haha, I know! To the guy choosing, this isn't an "end your life" type of decision. Just pick one and go with it, you will be happy anywhere! At least you're not going to Essex!

What the hell is wrong with Essex? It's a fine institution.

I spent 1 year at UMBC and it is the most boring place ever. It's like every anti-social person goes there. Plus, lots of Asians and none of the girls are hot. Unless you are doing computer science, go to Maryland. Terps > Golden Retrievers any day.

No one's said it so I will.

More to the point, anyone being this dramatic over the "difficulty" of pre-med classes at two decent undergrad academic institutions should not really be considering medical school. Its fine to want to contrast and compare colleges and make an informed decision but if you are this concerned that you will struggle or be handicapped by the "difficulty" of the standard pre-med classes at either of these institutions, then you should seriously question how you are going to handle the "difficulty" of medical school, which will far surpass the difficulty of your undergrad classes.

Just pick a school and go there and do your best. If you apply yourself you'll do fine.

No one's said it so I will.

More to the point, anyone being this dramatic over the "difficulty" of pre-med classes at two decent undergrad academic institutions should not really be considering medical school. Its fine to want to contrast and compare colleges and make an informed decision but if you are this concerned that you will struggle or be handicapped by the "difficulty" of the standard pre-med classes at either of these institutions, then you should seriously question how you are going to handle the "difficulty" of medical school, which will far surpass the difficulty of your undergrad classes.

Just pick a school and go there and do your best. If you apply yourself you'll do fine.

Amen, LS. It amazes me that there are so many threads like this. When I was choosing a college, I was more concerned with general factors like social atmosphere, academic & research opportunities, and reputation for preparation for "real life" than I was about course difficulty and/or odds of getting into medical school. But, if SDN is any indication, premeds are a little different today compared to when you and I were starting college.

Amen, LS. It amazes me that there are so many threads like this. When I was choosing a college, I was more concerned with general factors like social atmosphere, academic & research opportunities, and reputation for preparation for "real life" than I was about course difficulty and/or odds of getting into medical school. But, if SDN is any indication, premeds are a little different today compared to when you and I were starting college.

i guess ur just the "ideal" college student, then.

lol, truth is....kids nowadays are concerned with their future...and if your gonna make a $100,000 investment...i think your best served to make the choice that will help you to best achieve your goals...

unless, ofcourse, you get a full scholarship :laugh:

The fact remains that it is up to YOU to make the most of a college education, not up to the college in question to offer "easier" pre-requisite courses. Course difficulty is relative. If you're going to freak out about which school to transfer to, at least do it based on something a bit more than hearsay and blanket statements. To me, it's the classic case of having too much information, resulting in near-paralysis. Pick a school and go without regrets. It's what you do with the education, not the education itself, that matters the most.

i guess ur just the "ideal" college student, then.

lol, truth is....kids nowadays are concerned with their future...and if your gonna make a $100,000 investment...i think your best served to make the choice that will help you to best achieve your goals...

unless, ofcourse, you get a full scholarship :laugh:

Actually LW is one of my classmates, in medical school. We just finished MS2.

From this end of the application process, I can tell you that I have classmates from 76 different undergrad institutions (in a class of about 160). I have classmates from big name schools and schools you've never heard of. I have classmates from big state universities (including UMCP), smaller state-affiliated campuses (including UMBC), private small liberal arts colleges, large private universities, etc. The point is that you can be "concerned with your future and a $100,000 investment" (actually I just received my latest statement for my loans yesterday, showing that the amount is now almost $120,000 including my loans for upcoming MS3) and go to pretty much any 4-year undergrad you can think of.

Again, as I stated previously, there's nothing wrong with comparing and contrasting two options to make an informed decision. My point is that the OP has gone far past that and if his main concern is the "difficulty" of the pre-med classes, he needs to seriously question what he's attempting to do with his life right now. I don't care what undergrad you go to - the most difficult undergrad will not compare to medical school. The major factor in determining who gets into medical school is the applicant, not the undergrad institution.

Best of luck to everyone in the pre-med jungle :luck:. OP, stop worrying about who has the harder classes, its the least of your concerns. Go and do your best and the rest will work itself out.

thanks for all of your help with this harrowing decision

a new option has recently come up, and that is to go to the honors program at towson university, another great university in maryland. with towson in the mix, the decision is even harder. does anyone know how towson compares to these other two colleges we've been discussing?

thanks for all of your help with this harrowing decision

a new option has recently come up, and that is to go to the honors program at towson university, another great university in maryland. with towson in the mix, the decision is even harder. does anyone know how towson compares to these other two colleges we've been discussing?

First of all, its not that harrowing of a decision. Just pick one.. that being said..

I live 10 minutes from Towson and hang out with a lot of Towson students (who I knew in HS). Needless to say they weren't the brightest of the bunch. I took a calculus class there once and it was very very easy. If you want to see what your classmates will look like then hang outside of the Charles Village Pub at 2:01 AM on a Friday night.

I would say:

UMBC = Towson < College Park

Towson does have some attractive women though...

First of all, its not that harrowing of a decision. Just pick one.. that being said..

I live 10 minutes from Towson and hang out with a lot of Towson students (who I knew in HS). Needless to say they weren't the brightest of the bunch. I took a calculus class there once and it was very very easy. If you want to see what your classmates will look like then hang outside of the Charles Village Pub at 2:01 AM on a Friday night.

I would say:

isn't it a good thing if classes are easy so that i can easily float to the top and pull all a's, and spend more time preparing for the mcat? also, i realize that towsoners like to party a lot and get crunk all the time, but wouldnt this still be better than at umbc where i have been told pretty much everyone is antisocial and there are few girls?

isn't it a good thing if classes are easy so that i can easily float to the top and pull all a's, and spend more time preparing for the mcat? also, i realize that towsoners like to party a lot and get crunk all the time, but wouldnt this still be better than at umbc where i have been told pretty much everyone is antisocial and there are few girls?

Yes. If I had to choose between Towson and UMBC I would definitely choose Towson. And you're right about the easy classes, it will help you out. The only concern is if they don't prepare you at all for the MCAT. But taking an MCAT prep course could negate that concern.

I think you have eliminated UMBC from consideration?

If you want more students, a better college atmosphere (in terms of athletics, etc.), and more prestige then go to CP. If you would prefer slightly easier classes and a little bit safer of a neighborhood, then go to Towson.

I think you have eliminated UMBC from consideration?

If you want more students, a better college atmosphere (in terms of athletics, etc.), and more prestige then go to CP. If you would prefer slightly easier classes and a little bit safer of a neighborhood, then go to Towson.

well, I haven't exactly eliminated UMBC; I still see UMBC as having a number of benefits - many research opportunities, small school = easier to get these opportunities and easier to foster relationships with faculty, and academics better than Towson but still not as hard as UMCP (presumably?). Another factor here is money: UMBC would cost about $11,500 less per year than going to CP. Also, the size of CP is intimidating to me, I feel like it would be hard to stand out in such a huge place, especially as a transfer student. I really wish I had a gut feeling about this but I don't. each place is appealing in its own way, even towson.

Would it look really bad if I went to UMBC and transfered to CP if I don't like it (this would be my second transfer)?

just an observation:

UMBC markets themselves as an extremely exclusive and selective premier university; take a look at their logo and this becomes immediately obvious:

horiz.jpg

the logo strikes the eye with a characteristic sense of prestige and old time stature

University of Maryland on the other hand, doesn't brand themselves in such a way... they come across as a run of the mill state uni:

maryland_logo.jpg

the appeal of this type of logo is of a completely different nature than that which UMBC attempts to achieve.

would I be mistaken to speculate that perhaps this dichotomy in branding is a reflection of the character of the universities themselves?

just an observation:

UMBC markets themselves as an extremely exclusive and selective premier university; take a look at their logo and this becomes immediately obvious:

the logo strikes the eye with a characteristic sense of prestige and old time stature

University of Maryland on the other hand, doesn't brand themselves in such a way... they come across as a run of the mill state uni:

the appeal of this type of logo is of a completely different nature than that which UMBC attempts to achieve.

would I be mistaken to speculate that perhaps this dichotomy in branding is a reflection of the character of the universities themselves?

You're basing your college decision on logos? Don't forget to include school colors, how many Starbucks they have on campus, and whether they have an odd or even number of students...

You're basing your college decision on logos? Don't forget to include school colors, how many Starbucks they have on campus, and whether they have an odd or even number of students...

no! i'm not basing my decision off of logos; i'm just making observations and wondering if these observations are in any way reflective of the inherent nature of the schools themselves.

funny.. I picked up on the same thing

I think UMBC is marketing themselves this way because the students they want to attract are students who would be attracted to an exclusive sounding honors school (namely, hardworking, serious, academically minded people) while UMCP on the other hand markets themselves in a way that attracts a more eclectic, fun loving student population... students who are attracted to that jolly terp emblazoned logo... students who wouldn't necessarily be attracted to UMD if they portrayed themselves as an exclusive honors school.

in my opinion this certainly is a reflection of the schools themselves.

they simply cater to different types of students

now, this is not to say that someone who goes to umbc would not succeed at umd. if you apply yourself in either place you will succeed, and the opportunities you will want can be found at either place. I'm simply saying that the normative, default, student experience will vary depending on where you go. If you know what you want, either place will be virtually the same. I'd say UMD is better if you aren't sure what you want, as there are so many more things that present THEMSELVES at college park, whereas at UMBC you will need to take the initiative to enter certain outlets of activity.

does this make sense?

nice analysis, makes sense

UPDATE:

I'm going to University of Maryland, CP !!

Thank you for all of your input, it really was a tough decision.

go terps!!!!!!

I have money on you transferring after your first semester to umbc.

UPDATE:

I'm going to University of Maryland, CP !!

Thank you for all of your input, it really was a tough decision.
You made a wise decision. You'll thank us later.

Now hit the books!

I have money on you transferring after your first semester to umbc.
lol, there is no way this happens. The only people I've seen "transfer" from College Park to UMBC have been students that effectively flunked out and needed a fresh start. The appeal of UMCP can certainly be part of your downfall as a student. But as long as you keep all the distractions in check (and there are a lot of them... which is part of the fun! :D), you'll do fine.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to regret my decision
Should I have chosen to go to UMBC?
:scared:
:scared::scared:
:scared::scared::scared:
:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Haha I am going to UMBC this fall as a freshman and I have to say reading this entire thread so far has been quite funny.

The moment he makes his decision he is immediately countered and gets scared. I knew it would happen once I read the post about betting money he'd transfer.

Well, I have a few friends I know from high school going to UMBC already. I'm in a predicament myself because I dont know what I'm going to major in yet. Anyways, I have many friends going to college park. I'm from Severna Park, Maryland and it has always been overrated, overhyped, and most jocks are all douchebags. I am friends of many jocks dont get me wrong, I just wasn't one to think that worshipping the dumbest people in high school was fun. They're all white kids trying to be black and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

That said, staying in maryland for another four years is a huge turn off but I feel more comfortable staying close to home, especially when we have to go on winter and summer breaks (when combined thats 4.5 months nearly), and during that time i'd know people from home, family, neighbors, friends, etc.

Anyways I was pretty lazy with applying to college and didn't really apply anywhere else because UMBC was the only place I visited. I applied to ohio state like on the due date which set me way back and so I didn't get in there. Already having friends at each school is a plus for me, but I'm in your shoes with the transfer thing. I may decide to transfer to college park as well but missing freshman orientation and welcome week is a little discomforting for me. I'll just have to wait and see what kinda friends I make at UMBC and how boring it may or may not be.

I mean if you get your course work done during the week you can hang out with friends all weekend at UMD. But at UMBC, everyone leaves on weekends so the times to have fun are kinda swapped.

From what I've seen, the other kids are friendly and it's a small environment where you could potentially get to know everyone and be really close at UMBC. College park may be overwhelming but I'm glad I'll have a year to decide and to hear from my high school friends that are going there this fall and what they have to say about it.

I'm just kinda depressed my choices are so limited and one dimensional. A lot of my friends went way down south or out to the coast in the carolinas. So many things to see in the world and all I'm seeing is maryland...

Alright. Itunes finished syncing. Good luck at College Park! Even though its large you can still be close friends with people on your floor in the dorms or apartments.

PS. The whole thing about the dumb severna park jocks thing is stereotype and everyone who went to severna park high school knows how much the school can be hated by the kids who went there and by other schools. It just makes me not want to go to another school that's prevalent in sports and athletics and partying. I feel like going to the beach or a fair or concert or something would be a lot more fun than seeing how much the fattest guy at a party can drink.

Depending on the context of your question the answer will vary.

UMBC is HARDER than UMCP in terms of Science courses.

I don't care who says anything different. You CANNOT compare the schools if you didn't go to both (like I did). I was also a national merit scholar- Semi-finalist and I attended summer classes at other schools (Cornell, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc.)

The best story to tell is about a student I ran into during my 1st semester of organic chemistry (a premed req). He enrolled in the course at both universities. After the receiving the 1st exam back at UMBC he said, "F%^k this. I'm going to take it at CP." And I never saw him again until this year. He, like many UMBC student, take the harder courses at CP because it is easier to get an "A." (P.S. he finished both semesters of orgo at CP with an A). Most schools require organic chemistry students to take the ACS comprehensive final after their second semester. UMBC score within the 87 percentile. I doubt UMCP is better than that.

UMBC's intellectual distribution is odd and "more than meets the eye" when it comes to statistics. Fact is, more international students come to UMBC than UMCP (in terms of %). Keep in mind, that only about 2% of an international country's students come to America to pursue an education.
They are the best and brightest. They give the "average" student obstacles to climb because they destroy the curve. All UMBC science courses (but labs) are curved because averages are about 58-66% per exam. The A's are still required to achieve the 85-87 mark.

So to answer your question:

In the case of a "Pre-Med" student, CP is better for a more competitive GPA in application, but in the case of a "Medical Student" UMBC will better prepare you for what you are expected. UMBC also scores higher in MCAT science sections.

Also, 85% percent of all Science Major Graduates find work within their first year (if they decide not to go to a graduate-level program). Compared to 47% at CP. These numbers were reported at the convention that the administrations of the University of Maryland System schools where they compare statistics and such.

UMBC is very difficult to succeed without tremendous effort. We do have our "4.0's" but they sacrifice their youth. I was in the top 1% of UMBC applicants and I have even been ridiculed for coming to UMBC because that's not what people who are "likely to make a difference" would go (as stated by a teacher.) I was accepted to Stanford, but came here because of financial obligations. Sometimes I even question why I came here because it is so hard and there's nothing to show for it because it's not a tier 1 school. (I currently have a 3.9)

So to summarize from my experience. The courses that I've taken at CP are not nearly as tricky as UMBC. You learn the same material, but it is tested differently. CP is more direct and UMBC spins the materials around to challenge your thinking skills. You can know all of what you are required and still fail because you lack the ability to manipulate what you know. The courses are very similar to the ones i've taken at JHU. JHU doesn't curve though (smarter pool, I guess there's no need).

If you are an engineering major pursuing medical school... go to CP. If you are actually interested in pushing yourself in the science courses go to UMBC. Because without a doubt, "life" science courses are harder at UMBC and "Physical" science courses are harder at CP.

Depending on the context of your question the answer will vary.

UMBC is HARDER than UMCP in terms of Science courses.

I don't care who says anything different. You CANNOT compare the schools if you didn't go to both (like I did). I was also a national merit scholar- Semi-finalist and I attended summer classes at other schools (Cornell, Columbia, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc.)

The best story to tell is about a student I ran into during my 1st semester of organic chemistry (a premed req). He enrolled in the course at both universities. After the receiving the 1st exam back at UMBC he said, "F%^k this. I'm going to take it at CP." And I never saw him again until this year. He, like many UMBC student, take the harder courses at CP because it is easier to get an "A." (P.S. he finished both semesters of orgo at CP with an A). Most schools require organic chemistry students to take the ACS comprehensive final after their second semester. UMBC score within the 87 percentile. I doubt UMCP is better than that.

UMBC's intellectual distribution is odd and "more than meets the eye" when it comes to statistics. Fact is, more international students come to UMBC than UMCP (in terms of %). Keep in mind, that only about 2% of an international country's students come to America to pursue an education.
They are the best and brightest. They give the "average" student obstacles to climb because they destroy the curve. All UMBC science courses (but labs) are curved because averages are about 58-66% per exam. The A's are still required to achieve the 85-87 mark.

So to answer your question:

In the case of a "Pre-Med" student, CP is better for a more competitive GPA in application, but in the case of a "Medical Student" UMBC will better prepare you for what you are expected. UMBC also scores higher in MCAT science sections.

Also, 85% percent of all Science Major Graduates find work within their first year (if they decide not to go to a graduate-level program). Compared to 47% at CP. These numbers were reported at the convention that the administrations of the University of Maryland System schools where they compare statistics and such.

UMBC is very difficult to succeed without tremendous effort. We do have our "4.0's" but they sacrifice their youth. I was in the top 1% of UMBC applicants and I have even been ridiculed for coming to UMBC because that's not what people who are "likely to make a difference" would go (as stated by a teacher.) I was accepted to Stanford, but came here because of financial obligations. Sometimes I even question why I came here because it is so hard and there's nothing to show for it because it's not a tier 1 school. (I currently have a 3.9)

So to summarize from my experience. The courses that I've taken at CP are not nearly as tricky as UMBC. You learn the same material, but it is tested differently. CP is more direct and UMBC spins the materials around to challenge your thinking skills. You can know all of what you are required and still fail because you lack the ability to manipulate what you know. The courses are very similar to the ones i've taken at JHU. JHU doesn't curve though (smarter pool, I guess there's no need).

If you are an engineering major pursuing medical school... go to CP. If you are actually interested in pushing yourself in the science courses go to UMBC. Because without a doubt, "life" science courses are harder at UMBC and "Physical" science courses are harder at CP.

First, why in the hell did you pull up a thread that is a year old? I'm sure your insight is really benefiting that banned OP.

How can you say UMBC has brighter students and provides for more opportunities than a CP education? College Park has higher entering average SAT scores, higher average entering GPA's, more attractive females, better sports teams, more research opportunities, is actually ranked, has more world renowned professors, etc., etc.. It seems to me that someone is just upset they didn't go to "The University of Maryland." Honestly, there is probably a reason why you took so many classes at different schools. I don't know many classmates who are so unsatisfied with their education that they decide to take classes at 5 or 6 other institutions.

Most of your claims also have no merit. Look at Maryland's medical school and you will see that half of their class each year comes from the University of Maryland. Now explain to me why UMBC does not accomplish this if their mcat scores are so much higher? I believe only a handful of students comes from UMBC. When Dr. Foxwell (the dean of Maryland's medical school) was asked by staff at Maryland's medical school why there are so many accepted CP students each year, he simply stated that "no offense to UMBC, or any other schools in Maryland, but these students just seem to be much more prepared than students from other schools. I'm yet to have a college park student let me down, and until this happens I will continue to fill up most of my class with their students."

Why are you checking up boards a year later then?

You have to clearly look at the fact that UMCP'S population is two times bigger so you'll end up with more people. Fact is the proportion is greater from UMBC. SATs don't mean squat. Succeeding in math doesn't mean you'll pursue medical school (as more of them choose engineering.. and look at their gpa's). As one of the top % applicants entering my my school, and a meyerhoff scholar, I realize that being smart simply doesn't cut it. Talent is nothing without motivation.

As far as GPA's if you understand "grade inflation" then you should know that UMCP gives out A's more frequently (again proportions) then at UMBC in science courses. UMBC students are known for going to UMCP to take the "harder" courses. Why is that so? You can't say CP has higher GPA's because that just warrants my beliefs that it is easier. Schools who tend to have lower gpa's are harder. Harvard and Yale have been accused of giving everyone at least a 3.4. i.e How many people have you heard about at Towson receiving 4.0's (a bunch of them) compared to UMCP? Are you saying that they are smarter?

I'm not trying to be bias. As I've said before, I've taken courses at so many schools that I can clearly say UMBC isn't the best. Can I say UMBC is as good as JHU? That would be delusional. But honestly I feel UMBC is a stronger program then at UMCP. CP is known for their engineering program. UMBC is known for their biotechnology programs and their ability to get their students to work in co-ops, internships and land jobs after graduation.

Also I think it's important to mention that the Dean of Medicine at UMD constantly gives praise here as well. It just goes and show you what anyone would do to have an increase in applicant pool. A student to fail her? Does she mean drop-out rate? I'm not an expert, but can she truly say that no one from CP has called it quits? That's ridiculous.

Last thing to mention would be my international comment again. UMBC has so many international students that wouldn't benefit from applying to UMB (it's not going to be in-state tuition). They apply elsewhere. I should let you know that I don't plan on applying to UMB either. In no offense to UMB, but i've been in Baltimore too long. My scores are sufficient and I should be competitive elsewhere. UMBC is way close to UMB and is a big reason a lot of us don't apply there.

I would say:

You have GOT to be kidding me. I went to Towson after being accepted with scholarship to both UMBC and Maryland. Get over yourself.

Why are you checking up boards a year later then?

You have to clearly look at the fact that UMCP'S population is two times bigger so you'll end up with more people. Fact is the proportion is greater from UMBC. SATs don't mean squat. Succeeding in math doesn't mean you'll pursue medical school (as more of them choose engineering.. and look at their gpa's). As one of the top % applicants entering my my school, and a meyerhoff scholar, I realize that being smart simply doesn't cut it. Talent is nothing without motivation.

As far as GPA's if you understand "grade inflation" then you should know that UMCP gives out A's more frequently (again proportions) then at UMBC in science courses. UMBC students are known for going to UMCP to take the "harder" courses. Why is that so? You can't say CP has higher GPA's because that just warrants my beliefs that it is easier. Schools who tend to have lower gpa's are harder. Harvard and Yale have been accused of giving everyone at least a 3.4. i.e How many people have you heard about at Towson receiving 4.0's (a bunch of them) compared to UMCP? Are you saying that they are smarter?

I'm not trying to be bias. As I've said before, I've taken courses at so many schools that I can clearly say UMBC isn't the best. Can I say UMBC is as good as JHU? That would be delusional. But honestly I feel UMBC is a stronger program then at UMCP. CP is known for their engineering program. UMBC is known for their biotechnology programs and their ability to get their students to work in co-ops, internships and land jobs after graduation.

Also I think it's important to mention that the Dean of Medicine at UMD constantly gives praise here as well. It just goes and show you what anyone would do to have an increase in applicant pool. A student to fail her? Does she mean drop-out rate? I'm not an expert, but can she truly say that no one from CP has called it quits? That's ridiculous.

Last thing to mention would be my international comment again. UMBC has so many international students that wouldn't benefit from applying to UMB (it's not going to be in-state tuition). They apply elsewhere. I should let you know that I don't plan on applying to UMB either. In no offense to UMB, but i've been in Baltimore too long. My scores are sufficient and I should be competitive elsewhere. UMBC is way close to UMB and is a big reason a lot of us don't apply there.

First, I didn't pull up a year old thread, it came up on the main page. You pulled up a year old thread that was god knows where. Secondly, I never once said anything about Maryland's GPA while at Maryland. I said one could say that Maryland has stronger students due to the fact that they have higher average SAT scores and higher average enterring GPA's from high school. Likewise, I would assume that Johns Hopkins and Harvard have stronger students than UMD, because these schools have higher entering high school GPA's and SAT scores. Lastly, your reason for why UMBC students don't go to UMB is well, stupid.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I went to Towson after being accepted with scholarship to both UMBC and Maryland. Get over yourself.

Which is why you are praying to be accepted to UMD medical school.....lol:eek:

Which is why you are praying to be accepted to UMD medical school.....lol:eek:

Completely and utterly unnecessary. But a simpleton like you wouldn't understand coming from a 4 child family and going through college on your own dime then, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.