University of Maryland Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh man, did that test ever suck. And now we have to start 3rd year tomorrow. Sigh. Well, at least I get to see you fine people tomorrow!!! Let's jab each other with needles!

Members don't see this ad.

how do you learn to take blood? do you just hear about it in a lecture, or do you actually getta practice on people? and if so, is it like.. on other students? cause i don't really wanna be gettin poked with a needle and learned on by my classmates, that doesnt sound real fun...:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
No way I've had you as a partner before. You have no veins!! I want someone with nice big fat veins.

You can practice on me, I have big crack veins :D

how do you learn to take blood? do you just hear about it in a lecture, or do you actually getta practice on people? and if so, is it like.. on other students? cause i don't really wanna be gettin poked with a needle and learned on by my classmates, that doesnt sound real fun...:scared:

Nah its not so bad. The Emergency Medicine Interest Group generally has phlebotomy labs where they bring the materials and the docs teach us how to do it on each other. I think when you start 3rd year, you have an orientation the week before you get on the floors, and we learn on each other. As a 2nd year you also learn how to place IVs and urinary catheters...on each other! Man that was such an awesome lab!

I'm kidding, the IVs and caths are on dummies. For-really-real.

Its not so bad. Just make sure you wear long sleeves the next day and drink a lot of water to replace the volume :laugh:

I'm just playing. I'm in a kidding mood for some reason today, I just got in from NY, so I think that much car + traffic is making me an oddball. We will stick each other, but everyone should have had enough practice by now where it shouldnt be bad...I hope :)

Actually, the blood drawing labs (run by EMIG/SIG/whoever did it last year and this year) were a lot of fun. I am TERRIFIED of needles, and absolutely hate being stuck, but we use these little baby butterfly needles that are like 22G or something ******ed tiny like that. Even though I got all worked up about it, I let LS stick me like 6 times last year, and none of them really hurt at all...still, I didn't bleed. One of my other classmates tried, and he couldn't get any blood, either.

This year, though, 2 different people stuck me and both got blood on the first try. Must be all the lifting LS and I have been doing - I think it made my veins bigger. That, or I just drank more water this time around. I'd like to think it was the former. :)

We had the option this year of practicing on each other with the IV catheters. I foolishly volunteered, thinking that, since the little butterflies weren't so bad, that I was brave enough for the bigger IV cath. One of my friends started to nervously jam it in my arm, and that's when I said "Ow." She had to stop and do it on someone else. Hey, I tried! (Holy crap I'm a wuss)

PS I remember now that when we did our Gyn/GU exams, we also practiced IV skills on these fake rubber arms. It was something I think they just tossed in to take up some time while we were waiting between learning how to foley cath someone and doing our GU exams. The urinary catheter thing, although interesting, I think was a bit deceptive. Everyone got the catheter in, no problems...if only it were that easy in real life.

See you guys tomorrow!! Bright and early!!! In professional, yet comfortable, yet washable clothes (??)!!!

Last edited:
PS I remember now that when we did our Gyn/GU exams, we also practiced IV skills on these fake rubber arms. It was something I think they just tossed in to take up some time while we were waiting between learning how to foley cath someone and doing our GU exams. The urinary catheter thing, although interesting, I think was a bit deceptive. Everyone got the catheter in, no problems...if only it were that easy in real life.

See you guys tomorrow!! Bright and early!!! In professional, yet comfortable, yet washable clothes (??)!!!

Lol true I second the catheter thing...on a man, the urethra isnt nearly that huge, but its def that noticeable. Probably shouldnt be in med school if you cant find a man's urethra. The woman on the other hand...heh, the urethra is NOTHING like that (I know that's a duh statement). Its like non-existant in half of all women or something. Cathing during surgery should be interesting..............

Ugh, stupid professional attire and fake blood. C'mon now, dont they know? I'm a certified P.I.M.P., thats right, when I graduate, that will be MSKalltheway M.D., P.I.M.P. That means, no fake blood on deez ties!

I'm looking really forward to see you guys and gals!!! You'll all get a hug tomorrow fo' sho'. You can get one too if you want PM. I also cant wait for rotations to start. I start on Shock Trauma. Not feelin q3 call and 4:30am mornings, but learning via patient care and the possibility of cool residents its buttah. Look for me on Discovery Health's "The Critical Hour"!

I'm hoping that my already knowing how to draw blood (~3 years experience) will counter my never-having-taken biochem in undergrad as far as being prepared for medical school. I'd say it's probably an even trade off.

I'm hoping that my already knowing how to draw blood (~3 years experience) will counter my never-having-taken biochem in undergrad as far as being prepared for medical school. I'd say it's probably an even trade off.

Sorry, Roger. Phlebotomy is 1 of a bajillion technical skills that can be picked up by most med students with a couple of days of repetitive practice. Unfortunately, this is not true of biochem. Even for those of us who had taken it before. :scared:

The good news is, once you're done with Step 1, you probably won't be pimped on the Urea Cycle on the wards. Or maybe you will, if you're unlucky enough to be on peds and one of your cases has some weird organic aciduria. But, hey, at least you'll be able to stick them. :laugh:

Sorry, Roger. Phlebotomy is 1 of a bajillion technical skills that can be picked up by most med students with a couple of days of repetitive practice. Unfortunately, this is not true of biochem. Even for those of us who had taken it before. :scared:

Haha, it was just a joke. :) I know that knowing phlebotomy entering medical school is like knowing where the skull is located, more or less.

Unfortunately, LW is right for the most part. I do have to say though, your experience will help on the wards when it comes to finicky veins that no one else can get. You will end up looking like a real stud when you were able to get that ABG on a 350lb patient :laugh:

Hey other 2010ers:

It was great to see you guys one last time today, before we all scatter. It's scary to think that the next time we'll all be together in the same room at the same time will probably be Match Day! Good luck on Monday! And remember, DON'T BE LATE!!!

P.S. If you need to find me, you know where I'll be...at the 8-5 FM clinic 5 minutes away from my house :)

(Edited for RW)

Last edited:
Hey other 2010ers:

It was great to see you guys one last time today, before we all scatter. It's scary to think that the next time we'll all be together in the same room at the same time will probably be at graduation! Good luck on Monday! And remember, DON'T BE LATE!!

What about Match Day?:)

whooo PSP is donee!! One month to completely chill/relax :D

Members don't see this ad :)
PSP was actually really good. Got exposure to S&D and CMB which was pretty nice. And also got to know 15 of of our classmates fairly well (and a bunch of second years as well), so it'll be good to know some ppl in our class come august. Overall, great program :thumbup: Now, anxiously waiting for my check to come in the mail so I can use it :laugh:

Hey 2010ers, any valuable tips for battling second year? I can't imagine what people are saying about it being MORE stuff (but more interesting, yada yada)

Hey 2010ers, any valuable tips for battling second year? I can't imagine what people are saying about it being MORE stuff (but more interesting, yada yada)

In retrospect, I hated second year. I was not one of those people who found it "harder, but more interesting." I just found it harder. I was miserable pretty much the entire time. I was overcommitted, stopped going to social events, and rarely saw my classmates outside of the classroom, because I was constantly feeling overwhelmed. I know I'm not the only one. Studying for boards was even worse.

But, I got through it, and now I'm pretty much happy to be starting 3rd year. I'm sure I'll get stressed and pimped and yelled at, but I don't care - anything is better than the misery of second year.

I don't mean to be discouraging, and not everybody felt this way. Just don't overcommit yourself this year, and make sure you have time for you/friends/fun/relaxing. You'll need it. Good luck, and enjoy the rest of your summer!

In retrospect, I hated second year. I was not one of those people who found it "harder, but more interesting." I just found it harder.

Just tell me how you REALLY feel :laugh:

Actually, I had a blast as a 2nd year. Easiest year of my entire. Easier than 6th grade in a crappy public school. I drank every night and went through more girls than Flavor Flav. College Park's Knox road on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights are rather tame in comparison to the year I had.

But seriously, 2nd year was hard. At times, damn hard. But as with everything else, you'll get through it and more likely than not, get through it well. I still remember that first week of Immunology, it took me 7hrs to do one lecture one day. You heard me correctly! I also remember LW famously saying "I got a master's in this **** and this doesn't make any sense!"

It is a ton more work, and you have a lot less free time because you generally have ICM about 2x a week on average, but I liked it better. What felt good was to study, then get pimped by my preceptor and know what she was talking about. For instance, she presented a patient that went something like this, "A 49 y/o female with HTN, COPD, DM, CHF, HIV, and HBV presents with chest pain, tachypnea and fatigue. What is the most likely cause of her acidosis?" When its all said and done, you'll be able to pick out the most likely cause from that alphabet soup, and after the boards, you'll be a pro at it.

As LW said, try not to overcommit, and make sure you have ample time to study. Making sure to be consistent with the amount of studying you do is even more important this year. You'll always feel behind as you did first year, but if you ACTUALLY get behind (like not doing anything one day), you'll pay for it for several days, not just one.

My biggest piece of advice would be:
make time for studying. It sounds kind of stupid to say it, but saying "I dont have time to read Clinical Micro Made Ridic Simple" is not good enough. I've heard classmates say this then fall to a disadvantage. Not that CMMRS is gonna put you hugely ahead, but its the concept of it. If you feel like you need it, read that extra chapter, do those extra practice questions on WebPath or baby Robbins, spend a little time reading eMedicine/Wikipedia on that disease they mentioned but you'd like to know more about. It seemed that those who took that time were a bit more satisfied with their grades. I was also happier with my performance once I told myself to take time to go through First Aid, RR Path, and Lange Micro and Immuno to supplement class notes.

Additionally, the best way to study for boards is to study really hard this coming year. Most of the stuff you'll be tested on for Step 1 will be presented during the year, so make the most of it! There will be things the boards spins differently than in class or things you'll have to know that we never learned, but very often what you learn in class will help you out for board review.

PS Also make sure you study and prepare for small groups also. They will often help with class material, and also at times when I would say during Step 1 studying "We never learned this in class and its so clinically important!!!", someone else would counter with "Um, yeah we did learn about that, it was in half of this random small group in the middle of November". So yeah, small groups are important too, no matter how boring or seemingly useless.

Whoa.. way to depress me guys. Why was I under the impression that despite everything 2nd year is much easier? It just seemed like you guys were always MIA from the pods or library, and I guess I just figured you all were out painting the town haha.

damn, there goes that gym membership, aerobics classes, and equestrian classes I was planning on (I felt the need to get a hobby .. or three.. haha).

thanks for the tips

Whoa.. way to depress me guys. Why was I under the impression that despite everything 2nd year is much easier? It just seemed like you guys were always MIA from the pods or library, and I guess I just figured you all were out painting the town haha.

damn, there goes that gym membership, aerobics classes, and equestrian classes I was planning on (I felt the need to get a hobby .. or three.. haha).

thanks for the tips

Seriously, keep the gym membership. Although I fell off the wagon the last 6 weeks of the year, making a regular schedule of going to the gym each week most of the rest of the year kept me going. Try to make your schedule and not break it no matter what, even if there is an exam coming. I only broke my schedule a couple of times because of an upcoming exam, but it was pretty much never worth it. Everytime I stuck with it and went to the gym for an hour, all I lost was like an hour and a half to 2 hours (between actual gym time and travel/shower time) and going to the gym helped more than anything I would have accomplished in those 2 hours in the way of school work (which was usually not much).

Find a group of classmates who want to make the commitment together. There were a bunch of us that went to one of lifting classes led by one of the 2nd years. It was usually the best part of my week. We started with just one class, then started going another on a different day as well. The one class was on Mondays and it felt so great to go to that LW and I still went most of the time after exams - after consuming some wine. My advice is to lift less on those days. :D

But yeah, not to be all dramatic, but MS2 was one of the toughest years of my life (and let's just say I did not grow up on easy street USA). I'm unbelievably happy its over and those gym classes are some of my only good memories from it. I ditto LW's comments in their entirety. But listen to MSK too, he's got the right idea. You'll get through it. If I did, you can :)

Seriously, keep the gym membership. Although I fell off the wagon the last 6 weeks of the year, making a regular schedule of going to the gym each week most of the rest of the year kept me going. Try to make your schedule and not break it no matter what, even if there is an exam coming.

Find a group of classmates who want to make the commitment together. There were a bunch of us that went to one of lifting classes led by one of the 2nd years. It was usually the best part of my week.

I sooooo totally second this. Our gym classes were definitely the highlights of my week last year. It really helps to go sweat it out with a bunch of your classmates, throw heavy weights around, listen to fun music, and really challenge yourself. Then you all walk around for the next couple of days like you fell off a horse because you are so stiff and sore, but it's totally worth it. Our instructor classmate is MD/PhD, and I'm hoping that this means that she'll have time to teach again this year, since she's not starting rotations.

What the hell...we are starting rotations tomorrow?!?!?! Do you know how I feel about this??? You guys may remember this from college:

F***
I
Never
Actually
Learned
S***

Except this isn't finals. This is the real thing. Like I'm gonna start Trauma tomorrow and might scrub in on a case and see someone die this week. :scared:

I'm excited, but then again I'm like, I actually signed up for this? I should prove to create some good laughs for the residents in this coming year!

You are one of the (un)lucky souls starting on trauma this week? Are you also the one who got stuck with call tonight? Whatever MSK, you're a stud. You'll be a pro by tomorrow night. You must teach me all of your secrets!

I must pay homage to family medicine, king of all "lifestyle" specialties. We went 8-12 today, and then got sent home because there were no more lectures planned for today. I start at 10am tomorrow. This is the life!!!

You are one of the (un)lucky souls starting on trauma this week? Are you also the one who got stuck with call tonight? Whatever MSK, you're a stud. You'll be a pro by tomorrow night. You must teach me all of your secrets!

I must pay homage to family medicine, king of all "lifestyle" specialties. We went 8-12 today, and then got sent home because there were no more lectures planned for today. I start at 10am tomorrow. This is the life!!!

so how exactly is your FM rotation structured? you get a few hours of lecture a day by FM faculty, and then have a specific doctor to follow around in which you help out doing exams on patients and stuff like that? or is that completely off?

so how exactly is your FM rotation structured? you get a few hours of lecture a day by FM faculty, and then have a specific doctor to follow around in which you help out doing exams on patients and stuff like that? or is that completely off?

Well, today is our 1st day of rotations so my guess is give it a week before we can really tell you what schedules are like. :)

I am one of the "unlucky" ones starting on trauma this week. One of the teams did have to take overnight call tonight...but not me! My night is tomorrow night :scared: q3 overnight call, yum. I'll make sure not to look too good so I dont spoil the rest of your evals when they have to compare everyone to my high standard of work/patient care :D

In all seriousness, I'm sure I'll make you guys look like interns if anything.

I was out at like 3 today, because they didnt get our scrub cards working until then (what a surprise) and since our team was on a pre-call day and half of the residents had the day off, there was nothing for us to do. Basically it seems like on trauma the "on-call" team gets hit the hardest, while the other two have lighter days. They seem to very strictly hold to the 80hr rule too. Its only good for us because we cant stick around without supervision, although many times on this forum its been made clear that students arent bound to the work hour rules. The only time you could have a problem is if you have clinic when you are post call. Trauma clinic is from like 1-4pm, and your attending could so make you stay for it. I hope mine let us go home, cause my post-call clinic day is this wednesday, thankfully if he makes us stay, it will be the only day on the 3wks it will happen.

Isn't FM kinda sweet? Not competitive, cushy, and throw in that loan forgiveness and its all gravy! I could so live well with family med, but I think PM&R would be REALLY angry that I left her...probs would burn down my apartment in a blind rage.

FM is like any outpatient rotation we will have. Basically 8-5 at worst, if patients dont run late and keep you later than 5 like any docs office. Days can most certainly be shorter than that, like LW was saying. You basically will do as your attending says, but most have you see the patient by yourself, do an H&P, leave and present to the attending, then you and the attending go back and finish seeing the patient.

In the end, LS gives the most solid advice. The surgery "orientation" experience proves her point...EVERYTHING will change and seem random to you as a med student. Be enthusiastic even if you cant, be prepared, be on time, and be flexible. The motto of the med student :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In the end, LS gives the most solid advice. The surgery "orientation" experience proves her point...EVERYTHING will change and seem random to you as a med student. Be enthusiastic even if you cant, be prepared, be on time, and be flexible. The motto of the med student :rolleyes:

I'm not sure when I was so brilliant to give such amazing advice. But I'll take the credit (even if I don't deserve it) - I'm gunning for honors in Advice to Incoming Students and All Classes Below Me. :laugh:

About 1/12 of your class (about 16 people) will be on FM at the same time. Roughly 2/3 of you will be stationed at 29 S. Paca, which which is the FM hub for the rotation (all lectures, orientation, etc are held here). The remaining 1/3 will be stationed anywhere from Frederick to Annapolis to 5 minutes away from home (like a few of us). Actually, a couple of my classmates are doing the "really far away rotations," but both of them seem really psyched about it, as did our clerkship director.

On orientation day (today, our first day), we had a few hours of lecture, and then were let go. The rest of the time, we go to our preceptor's office for M-Th (I am going off-site to one of the "5 minutes away" rotations). Friday we reconvene at 29 S. Paca for more lectures. Those who are rotating at Univ. FM (29 S. Paca) will go to morning report with the FM residents, and maybe noon conference (not sure if they have it)? We also have a couple of Wednesday mornings of lectures, a day that we spend with Healthcare for the Homeless, and a morning that we spend with our clerkship director making housecalls. There are opportunities to spend an evening or 2 on the inpatient service, if you are interested. I think I might check it out, since I'm one of the off-site people and thus don't have much insight into what goes on at 29 S. Paca. The rotation is only 4 weeks, so there's only so much you can see/do in that time. They have high hopes for us, though. By the end of the rotation, we'll be carrying 2-3 pts per day. Which doesn't sound like much, but, trust me, for your first ever rotation on such a comprehensive service as family med, I think that's pretty good.

2-3 patients?!?! Girrrrrrrrrrrrrl, thats kind of crazy actually, esp for your first rotation! If they are 2-3 complicated patients your days may be 8hrs, but they'll be busy as hell! The 4th years I saw at Northwestern only carried 2, and thats even after having the "big 4" core rotations. And this was a PM&R rotation, where you always took an hour for lunch, you always had 2-3 hours of lectures, and your days went from 7:30-3, including prerounding. They def had the time to carry more!

I'm gonna be bold and try to start carrying 2 trauma patients by the end of the week. I'm gonna really try to dive into this, but you guys know I'm just nuts like that!

Oh, and you're gonna laugh at me, but on sunday I actually ironed my clothes for orientation...including my white coat. Then, I consulted the young lady about what books I should leave behind, because she tried on my white coat and apparently it was like carrying an army backpack :laugh:

one a side note, i got an email about this project jump start fundraiser at pickles pub on Friday, does anyone go to these things?

OK, I just had my first official day of seeing patients in a small community family practice. I officially feel like I know NOTHING.

Of course, it doesn't help when less than an hour into your first day, your preceptor hands you a file, and goes, "you can handle this on your own, right?"

Me: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......." (Keep in mind I know nothing of this particular office's administrative/coding/etc policies...hell I don't even know where the bathroom is.)

10 minutes later, she comes into the room... "So, what's your assessment/plan?"

Me: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........"

Man, this **** is hard to learn.

one a side note, i got an email about this project jump start fundraiser at pickles pub on Friday, does anyone go to these things?

Yes and no. They get sent out to the entire campus community not just the med school so there's usually a ton of people. I went to one 1st year and it was crazy crowded. Keep in mind that the 11th is a Friday and even though the Orioles are away, a lot of people watch the games at Pickles so its likely to be crowded even though its the summer.

Its at Pickles, which I was kind of over after the first few months of first year. I doubt there will be many MSIIIs there except those that are helping out with it (if any - Sabrina who sent it out is an MSIII though and she might be there) but some MSIIs might be there if they are around. But I can't swear you'll be rubbing shoulders with med students really and mostly people go hanging out with others they know, so it might be hard to navigate if you didn't go with a group. If you could get some of your PSP peeps together it could be a fun night out.

nope. free printing to last the whole year.. only 2 or 3 people I know of ran out this year and only because they'd print like 2 slides a page (who DOES that)

nope. free printing to last the whole year.. only 2 or 3 people I know of ran out this year and only because they'd print like 2 slides a page (who DOES that)

I know, right? I did that for a couple weeks at the beginning of 1st year and then realized I was going to be carrying around 8 tons of paper per exam if I did that.

Incoming 1st years, my advice: minimum 4 slides to a side, double-sided printing.

Wow, free printing all year is great. Where do you guys print all your stuff? The pods?

Yeah your laptops will come set up to use all those printers. There's a total of 6 printers I think? Also I'm not sure if free is the word; maybe "prepaid" via a line item in the tuition and fees.

Gotcha. Well, I've kind of already resigned myself to the tuition and fees figure they've given us, so as long as I don't have to pay EXTRA for my own printer or for printed pages on campus, it'll work for me.

Long time lurker... first time poster.

I know books have been covered before, but this whole Med School thing is starting to get very real for me.

As a member of the incoming class at Maryland, I just received a packet of orientation-type information including the list of required books for the Structure and Development Course. From the previous books discussion it sounds like only the Dissection Atlas is actually useful, but I thought I would ask specifically in case some of the upper-classmen/women had any more insight they would like to share.

Here's the list of "required books":

Dissection Atlas - student's choice of one of the following:
1. McMinn's Clinical Atlas of Human Anatomy, 6th Ed. (Abrahams, Boon, Spratt), 2008.
2. Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, 12th Ed. (Agur, Dalley), 2009.
3. Gray's Atlas of Anatomy, 1st Ed. (Drake, Vogl, Mitchell, et all), 2008.
4. Atlas of Anatomy, 1st Ed. (Gilroy, MacPherson, Ross), 2008.
5. Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4th Ed. (Netter), 2006.
6. Color Atlas of Anatomy, 6th Ed. (Rohen, Yokochi, Drecoll, Romrell), 2006.

Anatomy Textbooks - student's choice of one of the following:
1. Clinically Oriented Anatomy, 5th Ed. (Moore, Dalley), 2006.
2. Essential Clinical Anatomy, 3rd Ed. (Moore, Agur), 2006.
3. Gray's Anatomy for Students, 1st Ed. (Drake, Vogl, Mitchel), 2005.

Histology Textbooks - student's choice of one of the following:
1. Color Atlas of Histology, 4th Ed. (Gartner, Hiatt), 2005.
2. Histology: A Text and Atlas, 5th Ed. (Ross, Kaye, Pawlina), 2006.
3. Essential Histology, 2nd Ed. (Cormack), 2001.

Embryology Textbooks - only one choice on this one:
1. Langman's Medical Embryology, 10th Ed. (Sadler), 2006.

I am all about buying books if they are actually useful, but if the class notes are sufficient I don't need to spend $ on an Anatomy, Histology, or Embryology Textbook.

Any thoughts?

I know books have been covered before, but this whole Med School thing is starting to get very real for me.

As a member of the incoming class at Maryland, I just received a packet of orientation-type information including the list of required books for the Structure and Development Course. From the previous books discussion it sounds like only the Dissection Atlas is actually useful, but I thought I would ask specifically in case some of the upper-classmen/women had any more insight they would like to share.

1. McMinn's Clinical Atlas of Human Anatomy, 6th Ed. (Abrahams, Boon, Spratt), 2008.

I am all about buying books if they are actually useful, but if the class notes are sufficient I don't need to spend $ on an Anatomy, Histology, or Embryology Textbook.

Any thoughts?

All you need is Netter. As you get to the abdomen and Head and Neck towards the end of the course, I found Rohen VERY useful, especially since I didn't have time to go to the lab as much. I bought netter and borrowed Rohen from my big sib. (N.B. There's a Gray's and Grant's in lab)
Some students love the netter flash cards, personally I didn't find them very useful.
Also, embryo just seemed completely foreign so I got the embryo book.. completely useless, I can honestly say it did not explain a single topic for me.
Histo, they give you an awesome CD.

In conclusion: Netter Atlas, Borrow Rohen Atlas--if you can't, buy it. There's enough notes in Anatomy to tie you over, don't bother with too many books.

Also, I have both Netter Atlas and Netter flashcards, and essential clinical anatomy that I wanna get off my hands if any of you first years wanna buy them, PM me I'll be back after orientation

Any thoughts?

Yeah, as we've gone over before, you need to pick ONE from dissection atlas section. I'm a Netter girl myself, and many people choose this option. But I know people who chose Rohen or Grant too (I see Grant isn't on the list but some people like it).

The only other book that some people found useful was Langman's Embryo. I didn't use it but some found it somewhat useful. You might be better off getting a high-yield or a BRS for embryo though if you want something to help you frame out the big concepts. I got lost in the detail of embryo the first couple days and it might have helped to try and back off from it for a big picture and then go back to fill in the details.

Seriously do not get any other books for S&D. You won't use them. If you are really hell-bent on getting one of the histology books, I probably have one around that I can sell you cheap and I'm sure a few of the others do as well. But really, you won't use it and you don't need it.

In conclusion: Netter Atlas, Borrow Rohen Atlas--if you can't, buy it. There's enough notes in Anatomy to tie you over, don't bother with too many books.

Seriously do not get any other books for S&D. You won't use them. If you are really hell-bent on getting one of the histology books, I probably have one around that I can sell you cheap and I'm sure a few of the others do as well. But really, you won't use it and you don't need it.

Thanks for the input! I will put my wallet away now.

In the packet, there's a paper from the Class of 2011 group, and at one point it says:

"Please seek out the Big Sib/Little Sib list in this packet. The second-year student to whom you have been assigned has volunteered of their own good will to be your best friend."

But I don't see any list in the packet.

In the packet, there's a paper from the Class of 2011 group, and at one point it says:

"Please seek out the Big Sib/Little Sib list in this packet. The second-year student to whom you have been assigned has volunteered of their own good will to be your best friend."

But I don't see any list in the packet.

No list in my packet either...

The only resources you need to do really well in S&D:
- Netter
- Netter Flashcards
- Langman's (I liked and used this book, but I'm weird and actually enjoyed embryology)
- BlueHistology (google it, it's free)

Make sure you read all the powerpoints and notesets. That's all you need! :)