University of Maryland Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the packet, there's a paper from the Class of 2011 group, and at one point it says:

"Please seek out the Big Sib/Little Sib list in this packet. The second-year student to whom you have been assigned has volunteered of their own good will to be your best friend."

But I don't see any list in the packet.

yep i was wondering this too. they musta forgotten...

Members don't see this ad.

yep i was wondering this too. they musta forgotten...
Why doesn't that surprise me, coming from the school that sent me last year's admission letter by accident. I hope this isn't indicative of the way things will be for the next four years. LOL

Why doesn't that surprise me, coming from the school that sent me last year's admission letter by accident. I hope this isn't indicative of the way things will be for the next four years. LOL

Naaa, admissions usually is more on top of things than that, which is why hearing this stuff is surprising. I'm sure its merely a glitch for the moment. There are things that need improving, but overall I think things are organized just as well as at other schools.

...although it would be nice to know where to go for rotations sooner than the day before/the morning of...unfortunately this is something not unique to us either.

Members don't see this ad :)

The Big Sib/Lil sib thing is actually organized by the class of 2011 not the admission's.
And I think last year I got the wrong year's admissions letter too, I got the gist though.. I'm in, and I am to attend school. Who cares about semantics.

Also, I wonder if they've fixed the conflict in that packet over what to wear the first day? Do you have one sheet of paper from the Professionalism Committee that says "business casual" and one that says to wear a t-shirt from your alma mater?

Go with the t-shirt. There's a disagreement between groups on that one but the t-shirt is the appropriate attire for your first day.

And yes, its the rising 2nd year class's responsibility to get that big sib/little sib list out to the people that make the packets in time for it to be sent out. If they did not get it in by the deadline, the packets get sent anyway. Don't worry about it, you'll find out during orientation, if not sooner, who your sib is. There will probably be a social or some such where you can all meet up.

Lucky for you guys you basically have all of us already to act as your sib. :) Giving advice on books and what to expect is the primary function of the program. I had 2 sibs last year and one basically wasn't really interested in the program and the other was. Either way is fine, its up to you. :)

Also, I wonder if they've fixed the conflict in that packet over what to wear the first day? Do you have one sheet of paper from the Professionalism Committee that says "business casual" and one that says to wear a t-shirt from your alma mater?

Go with the t-shirt. There's a disagreement between groups on that one but the t-shirt is the appropriate attire for your first day.

Actually, for the August 7th "orientation" thing, it says "Please dress professionally.

I'm not sure I see anywhere that suggests a T-Shirt though.

Actually, for the August 7th "orientation" thing, it says "Please dress professionally.

I'm not sure I see anywhere that suggests a T-Shirt though.

I would actually suggest the professional dress. The alma mater t-shirt thing was nice but they also asked that you bring a shirt for pictures. Maybe this year they just settled for professional attire?

I would actually suggest the professional dress. The alma mater t-shirt thing was nice but they also asked that you bring a shirt for pictures. Maybe this year they just settled for professional attire?

Could be that they've finally reconciled it. During our orientation, we did not have pictures until Day 2, so having alma mater t-shirts the first day wasn't a problem.

So I stand corrected, assuming they've finally reconciled this debate. Go with what your packet instructs if there is no internal conflict.

It's too bad that they don't give you the first day to be casual and mingle. It was nice not to have to worry about pictures on your first day, and it was kind of fun to see where everyone else went to school. I believe about 1/4 of our class was composed of UMCP grads, and the sea of red and turtles reflected that. It was also amusing to seek out the other 2 U Mich grads in my class and bond with them over the fact that there were ZERO Ohio State grads present (although there was one lone Domer, but they aren't even a real rivalry, anyway).

The first week of medical school was awesome. I would love to go back in time to those short, sweet days!!!

when do the board scores come out? you guys must be real nervous...:eek:

when do the board scores come out? you guys must be real nervous...:eek:

Just came out this morning at 12:01am. Apparently the average score was a 222, WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Oh well, even though it went up like 5 points from last year, most progs for most things wont snuff at a 222, thats a quality score.

I hope it went well for you all!

I KNOW!!! 22 is really high!!

I'm so relieved that I never have to take that POS exam again!!!!

any advice on which books we need for year 2? i didnt really buy most of the books for year 1....any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
any advice on which books we need for year 2? i didnt really buy most of the books for year 1....any thoughts?

- A good immuno book for the first 1/3 of HDID (if you've never had immuno before)
- CMMRS and Microcards for the last 2/3 of HDID
- RR Path and start reading it from the very first day of P&T 1
- Lippincott Pharm and/or pharmcards
- Some people buy First Aid and are disciplined enough to follow along. I tried, but failed.

Don't buy Robbins unless you are planning a career in pathology. You won't have time to read it.

The trick with P&T is to understand all of the path and pharm that will be thrown at you. RR and Lippincott/Pharmcards simplified this a bit, at least for me. It may also be beneficial to review BRS phys, especially your "weak" subjects (e.g. resp, renal).

- A good immuno book for the first 1/3 of HDID (if you've never had immuno before)
- CMMRS and Microcards for the last 2/3 of HDID
- RR Path and start reading it from the very first day of P&T 1
- Lippincott Pharm and/or pharmcards
- Some people buy First Aid and are disciplined enough to follow along. I tried, but failed.

Don't buy Robbins unless you are planning a career in pathology. You won't have time to read it.

The trick with P&T is to understand all of the path and pharm that will be thrown at you. RR and Lippincott/Pharmcards simplified this a bit, at least for me. It may also be beneficial to review BRS phys, especially your "weak" subjects (e.g. resp, renal).

Everything LW said.

Also I will stress this again (I think I've said it here before): They will tell you in the course syllabus for HDID not to use Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple (CMMRS) because "there are lots of mistakes, not totally accurate, blah blah blah". Ignore this. Whatever mistakes are in the book (and I didn't notice all that many) are FAR FAR outweighed by what this book does for helping you to learn bacteria and the antibiotic pharmacology. Most of my classmates listened to the upperclassmen and used CMMRS from the beginning and I did not and I paid for it. I started using it part way through and I regret not using it earlier in the course.

Any of you current students have any M1 books (at least the ones we actually need) and/or Step I study books for sale?

Any of you current students have any M1 books (at least the ones we actually need) and/or Step I study books for sale?

Sure:

-Netter Anatomy Flashcard, Excellent Condition: $20
-High Yield Embryology, Excellent Condition (some highlighting): $5
-Neuroscience Atlas w/CD, Excellent Condition: $40
-Netter Neuroscience Flashcard, Excellent Condition: $20
-Complete Set of 6 Physiology Monographs, Some w/highlighting, some without: $100
-Individually:
-Cellular Physiology (some highlighting): $15
-Respiratory Physiology (some highlighting): $15
-Cardiovascular Physiology (no highlighting): $20
-GI Physiology (no highlighting): $20
-Endocrine Physiology (no highlighting): $20
-Renal Physiology (some highlighting): $20​

-Kandel's Principles of Neural Science for those of you that won't listen to reason and want to buy the text for neuroscience, Excellent Condition: $50

dang lucid, franz hooked me up with all those books plus a few for 20 bucks total ... where's the love? :p

man you guys really love them books. I have a problem, I'm very anti-books... if it is at all possible, I'll skate by without the book. It's a disease. I'm working on it for this upcoming year...

Although, I did read that cell phys book at least 3 times, I just wanted to see what would happen if I actually put in extra effort. I did worse than usual. Makes no sense I swear..

High Yield Embryology, Excellent Condition (some highlighting): $5

So, you're selling other people's ^*(% now, LS? I was kinda hoping I'd get that one back from you once you are finished with Step 1. ;)

At least you didn't try to hawk my BRS phys...I definitely want that one back.

My FM preceptor has two ANCIENT copies of Netter and Robbins on the bookshelf in her office. I chuckle when I see them.

So, you're selling other people's ^*(% now, LS? I was kinda hoping I'd get that one back from you once you are finished with Step 1. ;)

At least you didn't try to hawk my BRS phys...I definitely want that one back.

My FM preceptor has two ANCIENT copies of Netter and Robbins on the bookshelf in her office. I chuckle when I see them.

Heh heh, I wondered if you'd ask about that. Actually no, I found a copy on my bookshelf, so the one I'm selling isn't yours. When I started school my aunt sent me a big box of medical school type books, most of which I never looked at. Apparently there was a copy of HY Embryo in there and I didn't notice it on my shelf when I pulled all the Step 1 review books off at the beginning of the summer because it is skinny. It was between some other books and I found it when I pulled off the physio monographs to respond to rogerwilco.

So in summary: LucidSplash still a good person and friend, not pawning other people's stuff to unsuspecting incoming MSIs. :D

Last edited:
dang lucid, franz hooked me up with all those books plus a few for 20 bucks total ... where's the love? :p

Well, maybe Franz got his for free or he is independently wealthy. I paid for these books (with the exception of the HY embryo) and I am offering to sell them to you, not to make money and not even to break even, but to cut my losses. I could sell them online for more than I am offering to you guys but am discounting BECAUSE OF THE LOVE. If you buy these books used online you'll probably pay a little more plus have to pay shipping. :D:love: So that's the love. :love: If you can get them for free or cheaper than you'd be stupid to buy my books.

man you guys really love them books. I have a problem, I'm very anti-books... if it is at all possible, I'll skate by without the book. It's a disease. I'm working on it for this upcoming year...

You really don't need that much for 2nd year. I totally support going bookless, with the exception of Micro Made Ridiculously Simple. It has cartoons and is an easy read. You'll like that one.

When they say "dress professionally" for the first day, do they mean a suit for guys? Or just like khakis and a button down shirt/tie?

When they say "dress professionally" for the first day, do they mean a suit for guys? Or just like khakis and a button down shirt/tie?

You don't need a suit. A button down and tie is fine. From now on professional dress means something you'd wear in the hospital or while seeing patients if you're not in scrubs.

Have fun tomorrow and this week guys! Really take this time to hang with your class - it'll be the only time you get a concentrated amount of time to hang together for - well, basically ever.

Have fun tomorrow and this week guys! Really take this time to hang with your class - it'll be the only time you get a concentrated amount of time to hang together for - well, basically ever.

****, is first year orientation really so soon??? Ha I guess thats who I was staring at when I went to go get my copy of the Plotnick guide.

Btw, it was nice seeing you ladies the other day, LW and LS. For the next week and a half you can find me over in the SICU at the VA if I'm not in the OR. Damn right I've been wearing those crocs :D I've gotten so many compliments on them, esp when I show off the little terrapin on the ankle straps :love:

If you dont wanna be a surgeon, the rotation is a b*tch, but wearing scrubs everyday is quite nice!

And I will say, although no one really cares if an MS3 exists, I feel really good walking around the hospital and not in class anymore. I even have a little bit of swag with that walk...then I get yelled at in the OR for not knowing the recurrence rate of a hernia for a lappy inguinal hernia repair and my swag is gone again :(

It was nice to see you too, MSK! LS and I are on the VA neurology consult this month, so hopefully we might see more of you. We only have OP clinic 3x a week in the afternoon, and the rest of the time we're seeing pts on the med floor, MICU, SICU, etc, so good chance of running into us again. I'll keep my eyes peeled if I'm ever up in the SICU again. I saw a bunch of our classmates who were on medicine at the VA today - they looked very busy and very dazed. While I was running around taking care of my ONE patient (yeah, that's right!!), I think they were rounding on several. They actually have to sit there and think and calculate stuff. We get to hit people with hammers, poke them with pins, and say "follow my finger" - then we go back and "cerebrate" (pun intended) all day. :)

I also cannot believe that the 1st years are starting already. That's crazy. I can't believe that we're more than halfway through with medical school!! Where does the time go?!

PS those crocs are just ridiculous.

3rd year's a bitch, but it's a better bitch than years 1 & 2, at least so far.

Lol yeah it sucks for those medicine heads, they actually have to know something. Sometimes I feel like on surgery, we only need to know how to present and tie knots. I need to read a bit this weekend so I can hopefully go manage some patients this coming week. Its kind of annoying to not be learning much management from the surgeons...I feel like they mostly cut, do enough medicine to get them off the floor, and let the physicians deal with the rest.

Given that, I can see why everyone in the class above us said take medicine before surgery. The reason is that your job is halfway in between the intern and the junior residents, and the shelf is geared for you to be more like an intern...meaning its all about floor management, not OR time. Thats why the shelf has been dubbed "medicine lite", because it would be a breeze after having your medicine rotation. Granted, I still dont think its necessary to have medicine before surgery. I like the fact that I have this rotation first, everything gets easier from here (hours wise at least, except for L&D), and I also have the easy 1 month rotations next summer :hardy:

I agree, this is a much better bitch than 1st and 2nd year. The only things that will get worse for you are the hours and you'll get yelled at more, but whatever, you have a thick skin, so it will be all good!

Only thing I dont like about this year is not having the ability to talk back. Like if i get yelled at for something stupid, it would be all the more wonderful if I could bark back to attendings, residents, scrub nurses, etc without fear of a bad eval. I'd never go home pissed off if I could :smuggrin:

So for S&D, we don't actually need an embryo or histology textbook, correct? I assume the material we are tested on is what is in the notes that are posted with the powerpoints?

So for S&D, we don't actually need an embryo or histology textbook, correct? I assume the material we are tested on is what is in the notes that are posted with the powerpoints?

Correct. Any texts you use beyond the notes should be to help you understand those concepts presented in the notes and lecture slides.

If no one's suggested this already: if you have trouble visualizing what happens when in embryo, get some playdoh and model it out, step by step.

When it comes to histo, exactly how do we get tested usually? . . . . particularly for the first exam, which is apparently skewed in favor of histo/embryo.

Are there a ton of random histology slides and we have to identify structures? Are there a lot of conceptual questions?

I have to say that embryo and anatomy don't seem too terrible but I absolutely hate histology with a passion.

yeah i hate histology too...

if you look on the F drive shared stuff .. there are a lot of practice and mock dry practicals. i think they'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

To be entirely honest, I don't really remember what was on the anatomy exams in terms of histology. I do recall having histology on all 3 exams, especially in the dry practical, but still some in the "written" exam. I remember the dry practical being rather silly, because it was just like the written exam all over again.

Anatomy exams were the worst, because they dragged on ALL DAY. Try to be in the group that does the wet practical first - usually you leave about 1.5 hours earlier. The lack of sleep really hits you around 2pm - the caffeine wears off and my brain was generally mush by then. Somehow you have to stick it out until 4 or 5, though. :(

Definitely do the mock wet practical that the first-years organize, and look at all of the slides you can on the F-drive. I remember those powerpoints being pretty representative of the exam. That's true for the rest of anatomy, as well as for the first neuroscience exam. Also, BlueHistology is a fantastic resource. Do some practice quizzes when you can't study anymore. You retain more than you think you do.

Also, don't overly-sweat the first exam. You should prepare adequately, but don't stress yourself out to the point of hyperventilation or dysautonomia. :) Lots of people freaked out about the first test, and lots of people did poorly. You still have 2 more exams to kick ass. I know it's best to start out strongly, but it's not worth killing yourself over. Don't be "that guy" who sleeps in the pods for the 5 days before a test, even though you live 3 blocks away. (Yes, we know someone like that...:) )

Good luck, first years!

On that note, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I AM DONE WITH NEUROLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, did this thread ever die. Oh well, 2013 should be up soon.

why do i feel like i'm gonna fail the first exam soo bad? i definitely think 4 weeks of material is too much :(

how's 3rd year treating you LW? better than studying anatomy i hope?? (there's gotta be some light at the end of the tunnel...right..?)

why do i feel like i'm gonna fail the first exam soo bad? i definitely think 4 weeks of material is too much :(

how's 3rd year treating you LW? better than studying anatomy i hope?? (there's gotta be some light at the end of the tunnel...right..?)

Its totally and completely normal to feel that way about the first exam. It will definitely be an exhausting day, so do your best to try and get a decent amount of sleep the night before and definitely do the mini practice practical that the class above you sets up if you haven't already. You'll all do fine!

MSIII has its own set of trials and tribulations but IMHO it is 1000x better than MSI & II.

OMG, I HEART 3RD YEAR. Even though I didn't particularly enjoyed my last rotation that much (I was seriously spoiled by my first rotation, and thus hold everything else to an impossible standard) and the time demands are a little different, I love the fact that I feel like I'm working a real job again. I show up, I do my work, I go home. Sure, I might have to read a little now and then, or I might have to work a weekend day here and there. But when I go home, my time is my own. We have shelf exams, and of course the threat of a test is looming, but it is NOTHING like the horrible stagnation that was 2nd year.

On my very first rotation, I was doing stuff that I, personally, found exciting, mostly because I had never done them before - well-child checks (aka playing with super-cute babies), managing people having substance withdrawal symptoms, learning how to diagnose and manage a young woman with a prolactinoma my very first week, learning how to interview/examine/involve social services for children who were the victims of domestic abuse, doing pelvic exams and actually feeling the frickin ovaries and uterus for a change, discovering what to do with a pt with acute appendicitis, finding novel ways to communicate with pts who were deaf/didn't speak the same language as you, etc. etc. etc. My second rotation was very different, but I still saw some of the coolest **** in clinic that I will probably never see again in my life - Inclusion Body Myositis????!? 4/5 rip-roaring pansystolic murmur over LLSB????!?! This is random stuff that we memorized for Step 1 and promptly forgot, thinking we'd never see it in our careers. Man, was I surprised.

I'm currently on a locked unit with 50 treatment-resistant schizophrenics all day long. I have developed a newfound respect for psychiatrists, especially those who deal with psychotic illnesses. These doctors are truly inspiring. Anyone who can get excited DAILY by what you and I would deem the most minimal change in behavior/outcome, and remain optomistic in the face of such dismal statistics, really has found his/her calling. These docs get so excited and proud when they see their patients improving, interacting with their peers, smiling, communicating with their families, preparing to live on their own outside of the facility - it reminds me on a daily basis why I was drawn to medicine in the first place. I never considered psychiatry before as a career choice, but in working with these people for 1 short month, I will walk away with an experience that has had a profound impact on my approach to medicine.

So, yeah. 3rd year is soooooo much more enriching than the first two years. Not that all the suffering of MS1 and 2 isn't necessary - you definitely need to build a foundation. But realize that you are doing it for a purpose. It really does get better.

My next rotation is medicine, and I CAN'T WAIT.

So, yeah. 3rd year is soooooo much more enriching than the first two years. Not that all the suffering of MS1 and 2 isn't necessary - you definitely need to build a foundation. But realize that you are doing it for a purpose. It really does get better.

My next rotation is medicine, and I CAN'T WAIT.

AGREED! The hours completely suck for the most part, and I hate the fact that my schedule is pretty much decided for me, but other than that I'm having a great time. I've seen brains and felt a heart post-MI during a CABGx4...its pretty much the coolest stuff ever. I think its noteworthy, however, to again mention that I dont love waking up at 4:30am and not getting out until after 6pm at times, but i def like this better than any of the stuff my non med school friends are doing. Word.

LW, one thing I'll say about psych is that your opinion may change slightly when you get to another service. Reason being: we had a patient in Shock Trauma who was there because of an obvious suicide attempt. We felt like they needed to be on a psych floor for a while and was unfit to be released again, for obvious reasons. Also, we wanted the pt off the floor before C. diff, MRSA, VRE, or Acinetobacter came knocking. Tell me why the consult didnt come for days, AND they wouldnt take the patient because a PICC line was in???? Sorry, I was a bit annoyed by that...they really do great things, respect where its due, but I was upset by that policy.

Surgery has been enjoyable, but its now dragging on. Im on cardiac surg now and Dr. Gammie and Dr. Griffith make it a pleasure to be there, but 12 weeks is much too long...you start getting really sick of it around week 8-9. I just cant wait till Jan. when I have medicine and the 1-monthers!

PS if you can spend any time in a MICU/SICU I highly suggest it when you know some medicine. I spent a few days this week rounding in the cardiac SICU and you learn so much, but you have to know something first. Unfortunately, you dont learn **** on Surgery much of the rotation. My attendings havent taught a whole lot, and many of the residents dont either...all are much too busy I guess. You'll get the most out of small group/lecture/on your own.

MS2 here.. Miserable.

I'm sorry! Was immuno not so hot? Dont feel too bad, I bombed it hard last year, and I'm still living...well technically so, although I dont really return phone calls because of my hospital and sleep schedule. Meaning im either at the hospital, or sleeping lol.

It will get better over the course of the year, I promise! HDID was the hardest block for many people, and my grades took the hardest hit. I also probably had to study the hardest as well. If you need any advice, help or tips, feel free to PM me. Hang in there!

Oh, and SP and roger, good luck on that exam! The first one is pretty stressful in a lot of ways, but is one of the easier ones in terms of material. The hardest part is taking the exam and seeing if your preparation was good enough. The good thing about anatomy is that if you know it cold, then you'll be fine. Get some sleep tonight and make sure you get a good breakfast in, and have a good, quick lunch plan. You guys will be fine! If I did it, you def can.

so uhm...ICM II exams? what in the world are we supposed to know? for the love of god we never learned any eye pathology in class!!! is she serious?? how can we learn stuff we never learned before and study for the actual HDID exam?

that and we just found out the boards cost $500

second year has hit a new low.

so uhm...ICM II exams? what in the world are we supposed to know? for the love of god we never learned any eye pathology in class!!! is she serious?? how can we learn stuff we never learned before and study for the actual HDID exam?

Ha, apparently youre supposed to read bates and youre pretty much tested on whatever chapter is on the exam. Funny enough, my best ICM exams were ones I hardly read for or didnt read at all, like Peds and Psych. Regardless, reading always helped though, although it I felt it was useless at the time. I usually read Bates the morning of the exam, or the day before at some point.

I completely agree, the way ICM is organized in every aspect is my biggest complain of med school. Same goes with those exams, some of those questions seem so haphazard. I think its all just stupid, its bringing back bad, frustrating memories!

If you are pressed for time, read the red "tips" in the margins of Bates, and then the pathology in the blue pages in the back of the chapter. Skip the history taking stuff, and the physical exam stuff can be skimmed. Be familiar with the physical exam section, but dont rack your brains on it, as it isnt the hardest stuff you are tested on.

Example of PE stuff: "What do palpable inguinal lymph nodes mean?" Usually the answer choices are pretty logical...usually...

that and we just found out the boards cost $500

Welcome to doctor world. Step 2 is more than twice that cost. My dad pays a couple thousand dollars in fees just to keep his license every few years. An ICU attending told me today that in Maryland its a $600 fee every 2 years for a license in this state, and I still think he left out some other costs with that too. Its also ~2K every 10 years when you take your re-cert exams as well. It only gets worse!

Apparently its because we can afford it or something. The establishment will try to squeeze it out of you whenever they can.

Last edited:
Funny enough, my best ICM exams were ones I hardly read for or didnt read at all, like Peds and Psych.

HA totally true. In all fairness I think that for me this also had to do with the fact that the later exams correlate better with the "real" exam material. The first few times, its completely different than what you're doing in class and it blows extra hard. But not even joking, the ICM II exam grade average for my class last year (9 tests, 91 points total) was 73.64%. Mind you, my class routinely had an average in the mid-to-high 80's for many of the regular exams and there was never a class average below 80% for those either. ICM II is just bad.

"Dear ICM II: Its not me, it's you." :D

The important part of ICM II is to learn as much as you can from your preceptor sessions. Towards the end of the year, our sessions became more and more streamlined (in terms of PE skills), and I think that's good preparation for 3rd year. As for the exams, my experience was totally different from everyone else's thus far - when I read the entire Bates chapter thoroughly, I did MUCH better on the exams than when I did not. Don't worry about the ophtho/HEENT exam, though - most people bombed it because everyone had a WTF moment. It definitely becomes easier once ICM starts correlating with regular class.

I definitely bombed the first and last ICM II exams. Don't kill yourself over it. But, once the exams correlate, I found it worth my while to put in a little extra time with Bates.

LW, one thing I'll say about psych is that your opinion may change slightly when you get to another service.

MSK, I'm sure that my experience might be totally different if I were on one of the psych floors at the hospital, but I'm not. I am working at a long-term care facility that deals mostly with treatment-resistant psychotic patients and schizophrenia research. I'm working with patients on a unit staffed by psychiatrists, psychology researchers, and social workers. There is a separate "medical" hospital facility on campus where patients can go if they are sick (has internists, specialists, etc.), but I work exclusively with the patients on one of the research units. We are thus faaaaar removed from any type of one-service-vs.-another-service policy drama. The docs here are awesome in part because they can focus on THEIR patients and psychiatry all day, and rarely have to worry about interacting with/accepting pts from other departments/services/floors, which can lead to communication errors, turf wars, missed consults, and the like. I'm not sure about the Univ psych consult team or their policies for transfering pts to the psy floors - I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough time trying to get a consult to get a pt moved. That's definitely not cool.

You know, looking back at what I said, I kind of regret it. That's kind of my MO anyway :laugh: So I take it back, I hope your opinion of psych DOESN'T change LW. I was just frustrated and blowing off some steam...I mean who knows, I could have mixed up the story or drank the surgeons' kool-aid for the moment. I'm sure they had their reasons, and I'll just settle at hoping they had good ones.

It sounds like those 1-month rotations are good stuff. I seriously cant wait! These 12 week clerkships really drag on :sleep:

Now what actually is BS is that I hear there is some nonsense about an AHEC capstone requirement coming down the pike that the current 4th years have to do. Not only did everyone who wanted to do AHEC/Research instead of 2mos of AHEC get shot down, but now there's a stupid paper to do (and apparently the suggested topics dont even have anything to do with rural medicine). Shouldn't be surprised though, I mean, why would this go any differently than ICM?

Now what actually is BS is that I hear there is some nonsense about an AHEC capstone requirement coming down the pike that the current 4th years have to do. Not only did everyone who wanted to do AHEC/Research instead of 2mos of AHEC get shot down, but now there's a stupid paper to do (and apparently the suggested topics dont even have anything to do with rural medicine). Shouldn't be surprised though, I mean, why would this go any differently than ICM?

:rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:, :rolleyes:.

I'm sorry, did I get my point across?

Any of you upperclassmen/women have any solid suggestions for studying and doing well in CMB? Biochem/genetics are not really my strengths (didn't take them in undergrad like a lot of people here), and my molecular bio in general is kinda rusty . . .