University of Maryland Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTeam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my letter today!!!! I am so excited I had to start the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! :hardy: I'm an MS1 here and I love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats you guys!

I was just getting used to being an MS-2 and already im reminded that this med school thing is but a short stay :laugh:

I was just getting used to being an MS-2 and already im reminded that this med school thing is but a short stay :laugh:

No kidding!

CONGRATS c/o 2012!! Welcome to UMB! Enjoy the hell out of your next year, because in 10 painfully short months, you'll be working harder than you've ever worked before. But I think you'll like it here, too :)

PS Congrats to any 2011ers on this thread for being done with anatomy FOREVER!!

Last night I received a congratulatory phone call from a current student in SNMA to welcome me to the UMDSOM c/o 2012. I'm unbelievably excited and truly look forward to the journey ahead. Woohoo!!! :D I'm going to be a doctor!

Just got my very first acceptance and it was to the University of Maryland! I'm ecstatic, I loved the school and I can't wait!

I always heard it was customary for a school to request a $100 deposit to hold your place in the school once accepted. Unless I'm mistaken, I see no mention at all in the acceptance packet that asks for any type of money.

Am I missing something?

This thread needs more life!!! Lol... never fear, I am here.... j/k.

Well, not really.... I am HELLA EXCITED cuz I just got my Maryland interview invite!!!! :D:D:D:D

Wooohoo... its not an acceptance, but its something.

I have a horrible case of senioritis by the way... anybody else with similar issues?

I always heard it was customary for a school to request a $100 deposit to hold your place in the school once accepted. Unless I'm mistaken, I see no mention at all in the acceptance packet that asks for any type of money.

Am I missing something?

Nope. Maryland is great in that they don't ask for any deposit. Maryland was the only school that I knew of that does that, there may be others, but I sure didn't get accepted to them! Every school will vary in the amount they ask for, and hopefully (and most likely) state it explicitly in the congratulatory acceptance letter.

That threw me for one too, but youre good to go with just sending them back that little note to hold your spot. Congrats!

I am HELLA EXCITED cuz I just got my Maryland interview invite!!!! :D:D:D:D

Congrats man!!! I've been rooting for you...good luck on the interview! Being easy going and down to earth goes a long way in this place...

Hey MSKall, I just wanted to say thanks for all your help and posting so much to answer questions. I've been reading a lot of the old threads about orientation, places to live, enviornment of the school and you always have such great advice. Its nice to know I'll be at a school with students who really do support each other.

So... any advice for me pre-interview??? I talked to some UMD students yesterday, and they told me to go for the blackened chicken during the lunch. I'm inclined to take their advice... they made it sound really good, lol.

I know... extremely random. But when I asked for their advice in regards to my interview, that's really what they told me. "Get the blackened chicken during lunch." LMAO.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... any advice for me pre-interview??? I talked to some UMD students yesterday, and they told me to go for the blackened chicken during the lunch. I'm inclined to take their advice... they made it sound really good, lol.

I know... extremely random. But when I asked for their advice in regards to my interview, that's really what they told me. "Get the blackened chicken during lunch." LMAO.

I went for the blackened chicken, and it was delicious. Put all the other sandwiches to shame. Might want to bring some floss though, I had a few small black specks between my teeth that I had to go to the bathroom and clean out.

That probably really is the best advice. I didn't get to discuss the experiences of the other interviewees on my interview day all that much, but both of my interviews were with extremely nice people (1 MD and 1 PhD) and they both genuinely seemed interested in getting to know me more. I think that one of the (many) positive things about Maryland is that they not only have two interviews (vs. just one), but that both are 1 hour long (vs. 30 minutes) and sometimes longer. Both of mine ran a little longer than an hour. It really gives you plenty of time to "sell yourself" to the school, and vice versa.

Anyone know if there's a second look day for Maryland? It's pretty much my top choice but I'd love a chance to go back and check it out again (and maybe scout around for housing), especially if the school pays for it!

Best advice is to relax and be yourself. Interviews here are not, for the most part, stress interviews. Just engage the interviewer in conversation and try to strike a good balance between responding to questions/topics posed by your interviewer and posing your own. Basically don't be a wet blanket; be an active participant. Don't overthink it, you'll be fine.

MMM....blackened chicken sandwich....good thing my next applicant lunch is coming up soon :)

Just a lil note about interviews. Although every interviewer is different, I think that there are some general qualities that are strongly desired in an applicant here at Maryland. Intelligence, maturity, professionalism, and dedication to medicine and service come to mind, of course. So do assertiveness, humility, and a sense of humor. There's nothing worse than speaking with an applicant that has a "flat affect" (parkinsonian symptoms, anyone?) and/or an overbearing sense of entitlement (I encountered this attitude in an applicant recently - it was quite a turn-off). Although you truly should "be yourself," also remember to keep the ego in check. Be proud of your accomplishments, and certainly, be assertive when you are asked questions by your interviewers - but allow your merits to speak for themselves. A stellar interviewee is very conscious of whether he/she is selling him/herself well, versus coming across as "bragging." Also, as LS said, try to remain engaged. Interviews can get tiring, but there's nothing more stimulating than good conversation. Smile, be polite, be friendly, laugh, and, if there's a lull, jump in with your own contribution.

Sorry, this is not a personal attack or rant about any particular applicant - just a general observation that I have made in the past few months.

an overbearing sense of entitlement (I encountered this attitude in an applicant recently - it was quite a turn-off).

When I interviewed, I absolutely dropped jaws and had undergarments thrown at me at every turn, close to every other step depending on the hallway. With my stellar application, radiant personality, and infectious smile :)D <---- see?), I was a shoe-in and let them know it. The doctors wanted to be me, and the nurses wanted to be with me. Of course I deserve to be here, I bet they'll offer me a job as the Dean of Medicine after no more than 3 months of my inpatient medicine months during intern year. The profs give me 100% on every exam without taking it just so I wont embarrass them by pointing out all the inaccuracies in their questions. They begged me to take their scholarship money, and the Dean of the SOM buys me lunch everyday, and my gf as well to keep me from transferring to Johns Hopkins, whose Dean washes my car every Saturday morning at 9:17am. Even my mirrors miss my image when I leave the bathroom. I am a star.

I wonder what happened to that applicant :laugh:

Hey MSKall, I just wanted to say thanks for all your help and posting so much to answer questions. I've been reading a lot of the old threads about orientation, places to live, enviornment of the school and you always have such great advice. Its nice to know I'll be at a school with students who really do support each other.

Never a problem! I do what I can :cool:

When I interviewed, I absolutely dropped jaws and had undergarments thrown at me at every turn, close to every other step depending on the hallway. With my stellar application, radiant personality, and infectious smile :)D <---- see?), I was a shoe-in and let them know it. The doctors wanted to be me, and the nurses wanted to be with me. Of course I deserve to be here, I bet they'll offer me a job as the Dean of Medicine after no more than 3 months of my inpatient medicine months during intern year. The profs give me 100% on every exam without taking it just so I wont embarrass them by pointing out all the inaccuracies in their questions. They begged me to take their scholarship money, and the Dean of the SOM buys me lunch everyday, and my gf as well to keep me from transferring to Johns Hopkins, whose Dean washes my car every Saturday morning at 9:17am. Even my mirrors miss my image when I leave the bathroom. I am a star.

No need to be humble, MSK. You rock, and everyone loves you!!

PS, can I have my panties back, please? :)

No need to be humble, MSK. You rock, and everyone loves you!!

PS, can I have my panties back, please? :)

I'll consider your request, it will be hard though cause you wear such cute stuff!

My question is how do you know who owns what with all those panties?

Oh man, I'm pretty sure this conversation does not fall under the guidelines of "professionalism." :laugh:

I answer your question with a question..hHow could you forget anything that is LW?

I think the conversation is fine, me and LW have a perfectly "professional" relationship :laugh:

Hey Guys,
To those of you who are current students, when do you recommend beginning the hunt for choice housing? I am local (just outside DC) and so could presumably drive up whenever to scout out places. I know, I know, it's early...but I am increasingly just sooo excited about the thought of having a cute apt some place close to my (future) med school! When does it cease to be ridiculously early to be thinking about housing for next fall?

Any tips, pointers would be fabulous! Many thanks...:)

Hey Guys,
To those of you who are current students, when do you recommend beginning the hunt for choice housing? I am local (just outside DC) and so could presumably drive up whenever to scout out places. I know, I know, it's early...but I am increasingly just sooo excited about the thought of having a cute apt some place close to my (future) med school! When does it cease to be ridiculously early to be thinking about housing for next fall?

I own a home and so I can't give much advice on looking for apartments but I know others will chime in. I did want to say to all of you that though I haven't personally lived there, many/most of my classmate who lived in the University-owned "University Suites" during 1st year did not continue to live there 2nd year. I'm not sure if any of the UMSOM SDNers lived there but if so they should comment. Again, I never lived there so take what I say with a grain of salt but in general I think people found it to be an easy choice to make for 1st year because it is owned by the school but the experience was not so good that they wanted to continue living there once their lease was up. I think they are somewhat overpriced as well.

Hey Guys,

Ahhh yes, I'm distracted enough from psych to post, and homely enough to be in my place on a Friday night...why not? lol

I say if you are sure and positive that you are coming to Maryland, its NEVER too early to look for that stuff! (And why wouldnt you come? We are that much cooler than everyone else :hardy:)

I'm living in Columbia, so my opinion doesn't much matter if youre looking for places to look in the city. I just went apartment shopping with my gf, and there are tons of places to go. The Atrium is very nice, and Centerpoint is popular as well. Centerpoint can be a little pricey depending on the room you get, University Suites and the Redwood are def a bit overpriced, but are nice and more tolerable pricewise if you have a roommate. As LS said, many end up moving out of the Suites after first year after they get around a bit, but it is convenient, gated, and I do know 2nd years still living there. Park Charles and Charles towers are slightly further away and they are a bit of a long walk, but i do know people who live in those places and they are nice as well.

IMO you cant go all that wrong, unless you end up paying more than you can handle :laugh: I would probably expect to pay around $950 for a studio and $1100 for a one bedroom if you plan on living by yourself. If you get a two bedroom with a roommate, youre probably looking at about $800 a month and youll of course split all the utilities.

I never lived in the city so I dont know best, only from my short period of research in the past month or two. Definitely come on up and check the places out. This link should help you out a bit as well http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/commercial.cfm

Good luck with the search! Of course, let us know if you need anything else. Congrats again!

Ahhh yes, I'm distracted enough from psych to post, and homely enough to be in my place on a Friday night...why not? lol

I say if you are sure and positive that you are coming to Maryland, its NEVER too early to look for that stuff! (And why wouldnt you come? We are that much cooler than everyone else :hardy:)

I'm living in Columbia, so my opinion doesn't much matter if youre looking for places to look in the city. I just went apartment shopping with my gf, and there are tons of places to go. The Atrium is very nice, and Centerpoint is popular as well. Centerpoint can be a little pricey depending on the room you get, University Suites and the Redwood are def a bit overpriced, but are nice and more tolerable pricewise if you have a roommate. As LS said, many end up moving out of the Suites after first year after they get around a bit, but it is convenient, gated, and I do know 2nd years still living there. Park Charles and Charles towers are slightly further away and they are a bit of a long walk, but i do know people who live in those places and they are nice as well.

IMO you cant go all that wrong, unless you end up paying more than you can handle :laugh: I would probably expect to pay around $950 for a studio and $1100 for a one bedroom if you plan on living by yourself. If you get a two bedroom with a roommate, youre probably looking at about $800 a month and youll of course split all the utilities.

I never lived in the city so I dont know best, only from my short period of research in the past month or two. Definitely come on up and check the places out. This link should help you out a bit as well http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/commercial.cfm

Good luck with the search! Of course, let us know if you need anything else. Congrats again!

Thanks for the helpful info on where to start . . . I was just about to ask about this too but Diva beat me to it.

One question . . . when/how would we sign up for the University-owned housing (Pascault) if we wanted it?

Thanks for the helpful info on where to start . . . I was just about to ask about this too but Diva beat me to it.

One question . . . when/how would we sign up for the University-owned housing (Pascault) if we wanted it?

At some point you'll give stuff in the mail about it. The 08-09 application isn't up on the website yet. Here is the link to the 07-08 site:http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/appinfo.cfm
(actually one of the side bar links on the page given by MSK).

Yay! I'm so happy that this thread is moving again! And that it's here to distract me from studying for psych!

That is all.

USuites is decent, but way overpriced as is any campus apartment complex with all the trimmings. Pascault Row, IMO, is not a place you want to live. It is extremely old, you can hear whenever anyone moves, and it is criminally tiny.

The Redwood is the crown jewel of the area (that isn't the new luxury apts the Zenith), but is way expensive, but definitely doable if you have a roommate. Centerpoint is nice, and is located around a lot of new businesses (Bedrock, Starbucks, Salsaritas), and right next to the Light Rail, which is nice if you're going up north or down to the airport for a bit. Marlboro Square/Redwood (whatever their bizarro name is, Marlboro something) is nice, basically on campus, exposed brick walls. Pretty cool place. There are interesting little loft places like the Greenehouse and Inner Harbor Lofts that are worth looking at if they are your bag. Sail Cloth is OK, and has its own gym (moderate sized), but is kinda small for the price compared to the others.

If you aren't an apartment person, the school housing site has a bunch of houses in Ridgely's (a neighborhood about a block south of campus) and just west of campus in other neighborhoods. Watch out west though, Barre Circle/Roundhouse Square (where I'm living right now), and Camden Crossing are nice, but you can transition into some shady neighborhoods pretty quickly.

Most of the housing in the area runs similarly in price, though some deals can be found in Ridgely's. If you are interested in commuting, you can get much better value in places out in Towson or Columbia, or almost any surrounding close county.

OK, my insomniac ass is tired of typing :) Hope this stuff helps.

awesome advice! thanks, yall! i'm soo excited to get positive reinforcement to begin apartment hunting now. yay! (altho i probably would've started ridiculously early anyways cause...i can think of no better way to pass the days!).

Also, related to financial aid, when might we expect the first disbursement of the loan to help with living expenses? I'm trying to anticipate how much I should have saved up to get started before the loans start rolling. I have a million and one financial aid questions, who likes/wouldnt mind terribly answering that sort of thing?

Thanks, guys! Go UMD!

!

Last edited:
If I recall, info on your initial financial aid package is sent out sometime in March. As for the actual disbursement, you won't get that until August when school actually starts. I'm sure any of us won't mind answering these questions. I think we answered many of them last year as well. So if you don't want to wait around for us, try searching the 2011 thread. You might find some of the answers to your questions there. Which is not to say that you can't just ask us, I think we're all fine with it. :) But if you don't want to wait for us to show up you can try the search. :)

Also, related to financial aid, when might we expect the first disbursement of the loan to help with living expenses? I'm trying to anticipate how much I should have saved up to get started before the loans start rolling. I have a million and one financial aid questions, who likes/wouldnt mind terribly answering that sort of thing?

Thanks, guys! Go UMD!

Hey 2012ers, an advance welcome from a first year. I just wanted to tell you all, you will love it here (Then you'll hate it, then you'll go back to loving it.. depends on the block really).
I've met some great people, and despite my qualms about baltimore, it has proven to be entertaining and full of different sorts of people and plenty of things to do.

Hell.. even the winter weather has been great this year

So... how far are these places that you all are talking about (like redwood and Centerpoint, etc.) from the actual school? I was talking to a friend who happens to be a nursing student at UMB and lived about a block away from the school in a townhouse I believe... until she moved. She said it was due to all the crime and stuff in the area. I did a summer program during which I stayed in University Suites so I'm semi-familiar with area... it didn't seem that bad to me, as long as I stayed away from Lexington Market at night :scared: lol... but it may have gotten worse or something, I guess. She was very adamant about me not staying close to the school.

I'm only asking cause I would like to stay in the city (this is all contingent on me getting in of course lol) but not if it means that I'm going to have to keep getting the windows of my car replaced repeatedly due to break-ins. She actually that if I was going to live anywhere close to the school, I should take a car that I'm not particularly attached to because more than likely it was going to be broken into...:confused:. Is it really THAT serious?

Redwood and Centerpoint are within a few blocks of the school. One of the benefits of these places (I think) is that they have parking garages (which cost extra of course) for your vehicle. If you live in USuites or Pascault Row, there are also parking spaces reserved in the student garage.

My guess is that the nursing student lived in Ridgley's Delight, a neighborhood right near school where many students live. Some also live in Federal Hill which isn't quite as close but still pretty close. Its really up to you. There is crime - every city has crime. I know a couple people who have had their car broken into, but I don't think its really something that happens like every week. I mean, don't be silly and leave anything valuable in your car - but that's good advice just for life in general (not just in Baltimore). But even if you don't it might happen. If you've lived in the suburbs or a rural area your entire life, this is going to be different. It will also be different if you went to the University of Chicago, Boston University, Colombia, or any other school located in a city. Baltimore definitely has its own special considerations (now the syphillis capital of the US!) but there are lots of people that live close, go to school, and don't have any problems. I know people that commute in and people that live close. It is easier to live close but its really most important for 3rd and 4th year. Some people commute in 1st and 2nd and move in close for 3rd and 4th, but lots live close all 4 years. Its really up to you.

Just injecting some life back into this thread...

So how does it feel to be done with P&T 1?!?!?!??!

I guess not any different than a week ago, more of the same old on Wednesday...:(

MSK, it feels AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

(even though the difference between "P&T 1" vs. "P&T 2" is rather arbitrary)

What I'm kinda freaked out about is the fact that we only have 1 more block, and then we are DONE with preclinical years. Completely. Forever. Wow.
Also, the exam yesterday was a total morale-booster. I think we needed that :) Bring on cardio! Only 4 tests to go before we're done!!!!!!!!!!! I'm getting so excited about 3rd-year with all this thinking about/planning for rotations!

I am so happy to have found this thread! I was accepted to UMD, and am ecstatic!!! I emailed someone from the University about housing today, and they referred me elsewhere. My parents live right outside of DC (in MD), but I am largely unfamiliar with Baltimore (only went there during elementary school field trips). Is it really unsafe as my boyfriend tries to tell me (he said it is #2 for most crime in the country)???

Where do the majority of MSI students live?

We should start a facebook group for the c/o of 2012!

I am so happy to have found this thread! I was accepted to UMD, and am ecstatic!!! I emailed someone from the University about housing today, and they referred me elsewhere. My parents live right outside of DC (in MD), but I am largely unfamiliar with Baltimore (only went there during elementary school field trips). Is it really unsafe as my boyfriend tries to tell me (he said it is #2 for most crime in the country)???

Where do the majority of MSI students live?

We should start a facebook group for the c/o of 2012!

See my previous post, I covered pretty much the entire area.

Hey guys-

So I am in the process of critically looking at the pros/cons of GW and UMD and at how each of these schools would empower me to achieve my goals. A bit of background: I studied community health in undergrad and am extremely passionate about racial-socio-economic health disparities and health policy. In the future, I plan to work in primary care and actively engage in the health policy arena...

I am drawn to GW because of its apparent focus on public health (and its strong MPH program) and its ample opportunities to engage in health policy work (and its international opportunities).

On the other hand, during my interview at UMD, I spoke w. a faculty member who is actively involved in legislative advocacy work in Baltimore. He cautioned me that UMD lacks a strong public health foundation and that I would have to diligently seek out opportunities along those lines.

My concern is in finding mentors at UMD who are dedicated to these issues and ensuring that I would be able to grow in that area. Do any particular individuals come to mind?

Also, I am certainly open to general feedback that may be helpful in making a decision between GW and UMD. Debt is a HUGE consideration for me. I am still not entirely convinced that the extra public health exposure/international opportunities at GW are worth twice (or more) the debt.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks, folks!

Hey guys-

So I am in the process of critically looking at the pros/cons of GW and UMD and at how each of these schools would empower me to achieve my goals. A bit of background: I studied community health in undergrad and am extremely passionate about racial-socio-economic health disparities and health policy. In the future, I plan to work in primary care and actively engage in the health policy arena...

I am drawn to GW because of its apparent focus on public health (and its strong MPH program) and its ample opportunities to engage in health policy work (and its international opportunities).

On the other hand, during my interview at UMD, I spoke w. a faculty member who is actively involved in legislative advocacy work in Baltimore. He cautioned me that UMD lacks a strong public health foundation and that I would have to diligently seek out opportunities along those lines.

My concern is in finding mentors at UMD who are dedicated to these issues and ensuring that I would be able to grow in that area. Do any particular individuals come to mind?

Also, I am certainly open to general feedback that may be helpful in making a decision between GW and UMD. Debt is a HUGE consideration for me. I am still not entirely convinced that the extra public health exposure/international opportunities at GW are worth twice (or more) the debt.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks, folks!

I cant think of any faculty specifically, but to be honest, there is ALMOST NOTHING that can overcome the debt you can accrue in medical school. I'm assuming you are in-state for Maryland, so IMHO, the differences in opportunities and prestige between UMD and GW are so insignificant that I think UMD would better suit you. GW is hella expensive! I do remember that GW does have a strong MD/MPH prog when I was looking at it. To be honest, we have one here too and its def cheaper. I dont think its worth tacking on an MPH at a private credit hour rate, on top of your med school tuition. No one will ask where you got the Master's from, and the info will likely be the same, I would think.

Where GW may have a more established MPH program, Maryland also just got one up and running. The opportunities at UMD are also great if you talk to the right people. For instance Dr. Sharfstein, the public health commissioner for Baltimore, has given us talks here and there, and his younger sister is currently a 3rd year here, so I'm sure he would be glad to let you get on something if you wanted to. Also, I dont know too much about GW, but if you are looking to work in a more socioeconomically disadvantaged area, I would think Maryland would be better served for that. In DC, I would think Howard would be far more likely to draw the underserved population than GW or G-Town as well.

I am also unsure of what kind of international opportunities that GW has, whether it is a 1 month away elective 4th year or a summer abroad, but there were several students I know of who went to Africa this summer (LucidSplash was actually one of them). I have to apologize, because I dont know all of the opportunities that Maryland has in terms of public/international health, but I know they are there, and I dont see that students have any problems getting what they want. I dont know what faculty member you talked to, but I dont necessarily agree with them. Our public health dept here seems like they are fairly active (they just gave us 2nd years a series of lectures).

All in all, I would honestly say your aspirations may be better served in Baltimore than in DC for the most part. Not even trying to big up UMD, but Hopkins draws a big underserved crowd as well (I dont believe I just plugged our rival! jk I have a good # of friends over there, its a good place, you may have heard of it). You can definitely get into public health very easily over here, I dont think that would be an issue at all (God knows you would be needed in B-more). And how could you beat the PRICE? :) I basically agree with you in the notion that the extra debt is not worth the extra opportunities. If GW will make or break your career, thats a different story. I'm doubtful of that though. I know my answer seems very biased, but if this was a UMD vs. Hopkins question, my answer would probably be different, as my biggest concern in this realm is location. I just cant be convinced that Northwest DC would be very good with catering to the underserved.

I hope that helps you out! :luck:

I agree with MSK. I don't believe that the differences between these two institutions are so great that one is more desirable than the other at 2+ x the price (especially since you mentioned cost as a serious consideration). However, realize that the "Public Health School" as an independent entity here is brand-new...at least, that is my understanding; somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that UMB only recently started offering a dual-degree in MD/MPH. That said, there has been a significant amount of interest in the dual program, and I know that quite a few students who are currently in their first year here are participating.

More importantly, just because UMB didn't have a bona fide MPH program/Public Health school until recently DOES NOT mean that UMB faculty, researchers, and students have not been extremely active in many areas of public health - in fact, quite the contrary. UMB's contributions are found locally, nationally, and internationally. There are a million opportunities in Baltimore, and, ask MSK implied in his post, students with interests in health disparities and community health are sorely needed in this city.

I do not know how much weight one MPH program caries versus another, so I will not speculate on the value of an MPH from UMB vs. one from GW. Both are great medical schools, and both offer fantastic opportunities, if you are motivated to pursue them. However, you should also take into consideration that, unless you take a year or two off to get an MPH, there is precious little time in your four years of medical school (regardless of which school you attend) to pursue any sort of in-depth training in public health. You may have to consider other variables, such as "networking potential," if your ultimate goal (once you have completed your MD) is policy and/or advocacy work.

UMB has a fairly large preventive medicine and epidemiology department, which is (in my understanding) comprised of epidemiologists, public/community health experts, infectious disease docs, geriatricians, etc. They seem to be a very interdisciplinary department, drawing faculty from the other professional schools on UMB's campus. Here is the link to their website: http://medschool.umaryland.edu/epidemiology/

I would contact someone in this department with your questions. Their multidisciplinary approach may suit your needs very well, especially given your interest in policy and advocacy. There will be opportunities to get involved in these programs during the summer between your 1st and 2nd year (JHU's CUPID program comes to mind, as does the National Academy of Science's summer fellowship; there is also a program focusing specifically on policy writing and implementation - I forget the name, but you can find it on UMBSOM's Office of Student Research website). There are also community initiatives which have been started by many of our fellow medical students that target socioeconomic health disparities (Project Jump Start, Mountain Manor, and Healthy Choices for Baltimore come to mind immediately - I could probably come up with 10 more if I tried) - you are also welcome to join similar existing programs at other schools - for example, the Law and Social Work Schools are also extremely involved with community outreach.

I hope that this helps to answer your questions about UMB. I know that this must be a difficult decision to make. My main point (which mirrors MSKs) is that you shouldn't feel that your experience and opportunities here at UMB will limit you in any way. I cannot speak to GW's superiority/inferiority - all I can tell you is that there are plenty of opportunities right here in Baltimore, and more than enough community need - on a much, much, much greater scale than you're going to find NW DC.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. :)

I was accepted to the MD/MPH program at Maryland, but was also very interested in GW. I am currently waitlisted there... Although I agree that the MPH opportunities at GWU seemed extensive, I think that the same could be done at Maryland. As far as medical schools rank, are Maryland and GWU similar?

Are there any student-run clinics at Maryland? I do not remember learning about this during my interview, but would be really interested in finding out more! Does anyone know about this?

I was accepted to the MD/MPH program at Maryland, but was also very interested in GW. I am currently waitlisted there... Although I agree that the MPH opportunities at GWU seemed extensive, I think that the same could be done at Maryland. As far as medical schools rank, are Maryland and GWU similar?

Are there any student-run clinics at Maryland? I do not remember learning about this during my interview, but would be really interested in finding out more! Does anyone know about this?

If I remember right, Maryland is ranked higher on that usnews list, but I actually dont believe it means anything. UMD and GW, for all intents and purposes, are probably equals in strength. Their main differences probably have to do with philosophy rather than academic strength. If cost is not an issue (meaning you dont care about money or you are OOS anyway), then both schools probably have very insignificant differences. I only say this because in the end, medical education does not vary greatly because we all have to learn the same things anyway. Your decision should probably be more about location, preferred patient base (Hopkins vs Penn State have two completely different patient populations and disease profiles, for example), and most importantly for many of us, cost (honestly not a plug for UMD, but Baltimore vs NYC vs Raleigh/Durham NC have three different costs of living).

About student run clinics, I once asked about it and remember hearing there was a push for one some time ago, but it fell through for some reason (ironically, I think it was LadyWolverine that I asked, lol). Maybe some of my more involved colleagues with better ears can comment on this, but we actually dont have one. I'm shocked at schools that do have them sometimes...like I hear at Rush (Chicago) that its frowned upon if you dont volunteer there. I mean, its great experience, but how do they have the time?!?! I'm still awe-stricken!

Good luck with getting into GW, and with your decision on picking a med school! You really cant go wrong picking between the two in the end.

Don't buy into "medical school rank" hype. By doing so, you're only perpetuating a problem that creates more confusion in an already confusing-enough process. If you are talking about US News rankings, Maryland is "ranked" above GW (I don't know where we were ranked recently, but 2 years ago, we were somewhere around #40, whatever that means). However, this doesn't mean ANYTHING. GW also has a very strong program. What you need to do is look critically at both UMB and GW, and decide which program fits your needs and ultimate goals the best. Obviously, there will be certain opportunities that each school has that the other may not. GW hospital has a different patient base than U of MD hospital. There are different problems in Baltimore than are seen in DC. Specific researches/faculty in the public health departments at both schools are working on different projects. It's up to you to figure out where you will get what you want out of your medical school experience - and contrived "rankings" have very little to do with that outcome. You should have gotten more information and a better sense of which program suited you at your interview.

We do not have a student-run clinic at Maryland. Almost every year, a new MS1 approaches the faculty, student council, etc. because they "are interested in opening a student-run clinic." What they don't realize is the amount of time, work, and money required to do so is prohibitive, especially for busy medical students. Unless you take time off of medical school to work on fundraising, planning, working out legal issues, etc., as well as have a lot of (financial) support, I don't think there's any way this could get off the ground. There are a few schools that have student-run clinics (I remember this being a "selling point" at Jefferson, for example), but I think that starting one is very different from having one that was well-established (i.e. grandfathered in before the age of lawyers). Nowadays, a bunch of students can't just set up shop on the corner of Greene and Baltimore St and start giving shots, swabbing people for STDs, suturing cuts, delivering babies, etc., even if they wanted to, and had the best of intentions. Too many legal ramifications.

Now, that being said, if you are worried about clinical exposure during the first two years of medical school, let me stress to you that there is a RIDICULOUS AMOUNT of opportunity to get just about ANY KIND OF CLINICAL EXPERIENCE you could ever want here - which, in my mind, is the EXACT same thing that most medical students get out of a "student-run clinic." At a minimum, 1 day week, starting as an MS1, you are let loose in the hospital with a faculty preceptor who teaches you how to interview patients. You are also encouraged to find mentors in any/all departments of your choice - I have mentors in the EM and IM departments that I shadow, and, often they will let me participate in patient care/examination/procedures. We have classmates who assist with surgeries, shadow in shock-trauma, etc. If you want to learn how to do pap smears, for example, I'm sure that someone at OB/Gyn would be happy to have you come out to their clinic and learn proceudures. Over the summer, I worked at a local community hospital. I spent a few days with radiology, learning to read chest films from the ICU; I also spent 3 afternoons a week with my boss, an infectious disease doc, learning how to interview/examine/treat ID patients. I got to go on rounds in the morning with the IM/Critical Care team, go to Morning Report, Noon Conference, etc. My point is that clinical opportunities here are LIMITLESS - it is up to you to make time for them, and, in some cases, seek them out. Second-year, you begin physical exam and diagnosis, and will get to learn even more clinically-relevant material.

I'm sure that most medical schools offer similar experiences. I should also add that, although UMB doesn't have an official "student-run clinic," there are many student-run programs and events every year that involve VOLUNTEER clinical/medical activities (if community service is what you are after) - in addition to procedure nights, there is BP screening, glaucoma screening, opportunities to go out and speak with city youth about health/diet/sexual health, etc. And, as I said, most departments here have faculty that love to teach, and who are very enthusiastic about teaching and being involved with students. You won't have much time in MS1 and MS2 to do these things, but if one thing has kept me sane throughout my 2 years here, it has been my clinical experiences, and the wonderful mentors that I have had the pleasure and privilege of working with.

PS. MSK, we are post-buddies :)

I would chime in but you guys have it pretty much covered. I will say that the program I did this summer, through which I went to Africa, gives preference to people in the MD/MPH program (I'm not in it though) and all the people I know who are doing that have really good things to say about it, despite the newness and whatnot.

Besides, I'm too busy trying to explain to the chiropractor posting over at Panda's blog why pharmaceuticals almost always have the upper hand over the "natural" source the molecule was extracted and/or synthesized from. You guys hold down the fort here, and don't go wandering off eating any spoiled sweet clover. :cool:

Thank you for posting so much information!

I loved Maryland, and will most likely be going there. I just wanted to learn a bit more. I know there is no official second look day, but do you know if accepted students can attend a class, etc.? I will be around next week, and would love to check it out.