University of Hawai’i College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey yall! I got my acceptance letter yesterday and was in the March round of interviews...i'm sooo excited! anyone else here from oahu moving to hilo? i also read the post above...so do most students end up living off-campus then? are there many apartment complexes around the area?
Hey me too! I interviewed with Dr.Ma on 3/7.

I'm not too sure but it seems that most students are in off-campus housing. I haven't really looked into anything yet.. I'm still in the "woo i got in" phase.

p.s. congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a rejection yet from them that interviewed in the Feb. group of interviews? I interviewed Feb. 23 and called today and they said something was sent in the mail end of last week and just hasn't arrived yet.

Just getting very nervous knowing something is actually on its way.

Thanks

Does anyone know how the waitlist for Hilo work? My friend got a higher gpa and higher pcat than me, but she got placed on the wait list while I got an acceptance packet. Is there a good chance she will get in too later on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the waitlist for Hilo work? My friend got a higher gpa and higher pcat than me, but she got placed on the wait list while I got an acceptance packet. Is there a good chance she will get in too later on?

I don't know anything about the waitlist but can you tell me when your friend had her interview and when she found out? Thanks!

just got a letter about being wait listed...great...

this blows...outta all 4 interviews that I have had...I have 4 wait lists....i am depressed...
and now i gotta try and study for my micro test in this mood...

i called the admissions office today and they told me my application is still in review. i submitted my application at the end of december. i'm so nervous. is this happening to anyone?

I got waitlisted too. Not a surprise, considering how long I waited, but I still have one more school to hear from...

I'm actually not as upset as I thought I'd be...I just wanna know so I can start planning for the fall, or going through the app process again! :)

Me too! The only reason why I was disappointed to get wait-listed was because I couldn't plan for the fall or plan my summer vacation. Otherwise, not my first choice, or second, or third...

It seems like they wait-list everybody. A rejection is like unheard of.

Hello all!

One more spot will open up for you guys. I am going to decline my acceptance to UH Hilo, because I have been accepted to UCSF.

Good luck everyone!! Hang in there!

Am I the only one that hasn't gotten ANYTHING?? No yes, no, or maybe. NOTHING. Ughh... just reject me already so I can move on :(

for those that got waitlisted, what's ur stats? Ann told me people who are definitely going to UHH COP this fall with the avg GPA of 3.26 and PCAT 68

Members don't see this ad :)
All I've gotten from Hawaii so far was the supplemental app. :( This is my second choice school but I'd be super thrilled to attend nonetheless. I haven't gotten an interview from anyone yet! I guess I'm more below average than I thought =O cum. GPA: 3.33 PCAT: 87 but no work experience and comm. service is old.

Still holding out hope for last round of interviews, I guess >_<

I don't know anything about the waitlist but can you tell me when your friend had her interview and when she found out? Thanks!

She had her interview on 02/23 in Las Vegas. She found out yesterday (Monday).

Am I the only one that hasn't gotten ANYTHING?? No yes, no, or maybe. NOTHING. Ughh... just reject me already so I can move on :(

Me too! What the hell!!!!

Its weird cuz there are 59 spots open!!!

last week i called Ann and she said 60 spots are open--40 for in-state, 20 for out of state. Two days ago, i called again and she said 59 spots are open!!! I guess they only accepted one person during the early March interview...i donno...There will be another interview by the end of this month and one last one in April. U can call her and ask to make sure; she's pretty nice, but donno whether she was telling the truth

Ugh... still haven't received anything. Finally decided to call the Admissions office but noone's answering. I think they're avoiding me. It's like a horrible break-up and she is avoiding me at all costs. I'll have to have my friend call for me instead while I continue to hold out that she'll come running back to me after realizing how good I really was. :rolleyes:

Ugh... still haven't received anything. Finally decided to call the Admissions office but noone's answering. I think they're avoiding me. It's like a horrible break-up and she is avoiding me at all costs. I'll have to have my friend call for me instead while I continue to hold out that she'll come running back to me after realizing how good I really was. :rolleyes:

When did you interview? I interviewed last month at Hilo and they said don't worry about not hearing a reply. They may be putting your application back into review (with the next round of applicants - b/c it's rolling admissions) and probably won't let you know until 6 weeks after your interview date (at least, that's what the tour person said).

Hi. got waitlisted too. Received it on Monday. Interviewed Feb 21 LV. PCAT 87 GPA 3.0. 2+ years community pharmacy (CPhT) experience.

I'm sad!!!!

I wonder how many people are waitlisted.... I tried calling them too but they haven't answered the phone. So anybody know how many people are waitlisted? The odds of even being selected?

add me to the waitlist :thumbdown:

so being waitlisted...does that mean they aren't even going to consider us for their next round of applicants being a rolling admission school? In other words, is being waitlisted (besides getting flat out rejected) the worst possible position to be in right now? :(

Hey guys. Congratulations to everyone thats been accepted, and to those upset about being waitlisted, just keep your hopes high and fingers crossed. Inevitably seats will open up as there is always a good amount of students that will decline the offer (goes for any school). Well, I was hoping I could get some insight into what I can expect of my life in Hilo. Obviously, when Hawaii is mentioned, thoughts of paradise pop into my mind, but I have also heard the negatives...island fever, gets boring, etc. I know there are some current pharmD students in here and I would love to hear your candid opinions on how you guys feel about living over there. Any information on weather and lifestyle would be greatly appreciated.

Admission committee met today to go over some more applications (mine "probably being one of them"). They should be sending out letters about those applications next week. :scared:

"Right now it is only 50% full...and we're not sending out rejection letters until the end of the cycle"--Admin lady. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that got accepted early will go to a diff. school, that's why the admission committee putting a lot of people into the waitlist and the fact that there are still 50% spots open. Stop worrying, people, you'll get in soon!! hehe

Wow, that's a LOT of people to put on the waitlist. Considering that if only 50% of the spots are open, and it seems that a lot of people are going to get rejected, and a lot of people will probably go to other schools, does this mean those of us on the waitlist have a good chance of getting in?

I'm just dreading getting a phone call/email in August telling me to pack up my bags and move to Hilo on extremely short notice. But then of course, I still haven't heard from UCSF yet (tries not to bang head against the wall)...

So did anyone contact the admin people. I've been calling and no one is picking up. Does anyone know how many people ware waitilisted? I know there's a lot but what't the number? I'm anxious! :confused:

Wow, that's a LOT of people to put on the waitlist. Considering that if only 50% of the spots are open, and it seems that a lot of people are going to get rejected, and a lot of people will probably go to other schools, does this mean those of us on the waitlist have a good chance of getting in?

I'm just dreading getting a phone call/email in August telling me to pack up my bags and move to Hilo on extremely short notice. But then of course, I still haven't heard from UCSF yet (tries not to bang head against the wall)...

I hope you get good news from UCSF. GL

"Right now it is only 50% full...and we're not sending out rejection letters until the end of the cycle"--Admin lady. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that got accepted early will go to a diff. school, that's why the admission committee putting a lot of people into the waitlist and the fact that there are still 50% spots open. Stop worrying, people, you'll get in soon!! hehe

That makes no sense bc JSK PharmD wrote that her friend was already rejected and interviewed in Feb... which means that you were lied to!!! I think they're just saying whatever to get you off the phone that this point that's why I'm not calling yet...ugh...I don't enjoy not hearing anything though. SUCKS!

That makes no sense bc JSK PharmD wrote that her friend was already rejected and interviewed in Feb... which means that you were lied to!!! I think they're just saying whatever to get you off the phone that this point that's why I'm not calling yet...ugh...I don't enjoy not hearing anything though. SUCKS!

His/her friend got waitlisted, not rejected!

Any plans on where you might live next year for those already accepted?

We should create a thread in the class threads!;)

Anyone start a facebook group yet? :p

Whoa thats pretty awesome, for me at least

all the hilo people are pretty lazy and waited till the last minute to turn in our applications and i have my interview tomorrow

yay

Whoa thats pretty awesome, for me at least

all the hilo people are pretty lazy and waited till the last minute to turn in our applications and i have my interview tomorrow

yay

Hey, tell us how many people gonna be at ur interview, okay? thankz!

Hey, tell us how many people gonna be at ur interview, okay? thankz!

I doubt the admins give out that info ahead of time ;)

On the Facebook group, I just created one: Search for UH Hilo College of Pharmacy Class of 2012. You need to be in the Hawai'i network, BTW.

Enjoy.

I doubt the admins give out that info ahead of time ;)
quote]

No, after his/her interview. I remember Ann told me that its just gonna be a one day interview and only interviewing a "few" people.

How long does it take to receive an interview invite after your file is completed?

they sent me a schedule:

Thursday, March 27, 2008

8:30am – 11:20am: Half-hour interview blocks

11:30am – 12:15pm: LUNCH at College of Pharmacy

12:15pm – 12:30pm: Transportation to UHH main campus

12:30pm – 1:00pm: CAMPUS TOUR

my interviews at 9:05 so i assume they are having 5 mins between each interview

so i think thats 5 interviews? and i had 4 choices of days to have it and if they have the same amt of people i guess altogether they are doing 20 more interviews at least

they sent me a schedule:

Thursday, March 27, 2008

8:30am – 11:20am: Half-hour interview blocks

11:30am – 12:15pm: LUNCH at College of Pharmacy

12:15pm – 12:30pm: Transportation to UHH main campus

12:30pm – 1:00pm: CAMPUS TOUR

my interviews at 9:05 so i assume they are having 5 mins between each interview

so i think thats 5 interviews? and i had 4 choices of days to have it and if they have the same amt of people i guess altogether they are doing 20 more interviews at least

It's strange, when I interviewed last month, they had reserved interviews from 8:30 to 12:30 and they had said 7 interviews (but only 3 of us showed up!)

The interviews are about 20 minutes long with about 10-20 minutes in between to evaluate.

Hi everyone,

I finally got in touch with Ann Hayashi about those on the alternate list. I asked her how many ppl were waitlisted and how they judge ppl on the alternate list. Here is her reply. Hope it's helpful and sorry if it's been said before...

"Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to tell you how many people we have placed on our Alternate List. However, please be assured that your application is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee at each review. All of our Alternate List applicants are reviewed along with our newly interviewed candidates in the same pool at each Admissions Committee review meeting. This means that, although our Alternate List is not ranked, you are being reviewed each time the Admissions Committee meets, and may be selected based on the number of slots available."

Good luck again everyone....

Hi everyone,

I finally got in touch with Ann Hayashi about those on the alternate list. I asked her how many ppl were waitlisted and how they judge ppl on the alternate list. Here is her reply. Hope it's helpful and sorry if it's been said before...

"Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to tell you how many people we have placed on our Alternate List. However, please be assured that your application is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee at each review. All of our Alternate List applicants are reviewed along with our newly interviewed candidates in the same pool at each Admissions Committee review meeting. This means that, although our Alternate List is not ranked, you are being reviewed each time the Admissions Committee meets, and may be selected based on the number of slots available."

Good luck again everyone....

Thank you qdustbunny for the update. :)

Has anyone started looking at housing options yet? I was looking at the off-campus housing on the school website and the Waiakea Villas doesn't look too bad.. But I'm definitely going to fly up at least once to check it out in person. I'm going to assume that University Palms (and other apts nearby the school) are on the noisier side..

Has anyone started looking at housing options yet? I was looking at the off-campus housing on the school website and the Waiakea Villas doesn't look too bad.. But I'm definitely going to fly up at least once to check it out in person. I'm going to assume that University Palms (and other apts nearby the school) are on the noisier side..

Please do realize that the Villa's are across the parking lot from a nightclub, Uncle Mikey's. It can definitely be heard from Waiakea Lagoon but not as bad, due to a slightly farther distance.

I heard both good and bad about the Villas, which is about par for apts in Hilo.

Hope this helps.

I got waitlisted about a month ago, and today received a package with the acceptance and all the papers. I'll turn it down first thing tomorrow morning, so another spot for you guys.

Please do realize that the Villa's are across the parking lot from a nightclub, Uncle Mikey's. It can definitely be heard from Waiakea Lagoon but not as bad, due to a slightly farther distance.

I heard both good and bad about the Villas, which is about par for apts in Hilo.

Hope this helps.

Ahhhhh, yes that did help. Thanks. I'll have to keep on looking for more apt options then.. I want to find a nice, quiet area. Don't get me wrong though, some ambient noise is okay-- but I don't want to hear a nighclub when I'm trying to sleep. Lol. I'm a light sleeper!! :( Any suggestions for off-campus housing?

Ahhhhh, yes that did help. Thanks. I'll have to keep on looking for more apt options then.. I want to find a nice, quiet area. Don't get me wrong though, some ambient noise is okay-- but I don't want to hear a nighclub when I'm trying to sleep. Lol. I'm a light sleeper!! :( Any suggestions for off-campus housing?

Personally, I'm going to stay at Waiakea Lagoon View again, and then search for a more permanent option during my first semester there.

I got waitlisted about a month ago, and today received a package with the acceptance and all the papers. I'll turn it down first thing tomorrow morning, so another spot for you guys.
Congrats again!! Me, too.. but want to seek opinion from friends and family first.. The deadline is next Monday anyway.. One more spot..:) Are you going to LECOM-B or PBA?

Congrats again!! Me, too.. but want to seek opinion from friends and family first.. The deadline is next Monday anyway.. One more spot..:) Are you going to LECOM-B or PBA?

Thank you and CONGRATS to you too my friend. I was just reading the other Hawai'i thread and saw you got accepted :) . I think I'll end up going to Nova, because it's cheaper than PBA ( 10k less/year ), and only 30 min from home sooo ... can't get any better than this. Let us know if you end up going to Hawai'i. I'd definitively appreciate any input from you if you decide to go there, since some of my friends are interested in that school for next year. Congrats again!

I got my package today! awwwhhh, i don't know what to do? Should i accept the invitation?