University of Hawai’i College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what's it like living with the volcano and the vog going by? I assume classes wouldn't be affected since it's so far away, but just reading what's happening at the volcano makes me wonder if I could handle living there if I get taken off the damn waitlist...:D

dumb question: What is a vog?

Members don't see this ad.

+1 waiting

If I don't hear anything by May 15th, I'm done. I can't receive an acceptance letter with less than 2 months to try and movie my entire life/family to Hawaii. Gotta find my wife a job, gotta find a house, quarantine the pets, pack everything, and do my laundry too. Hope they send out the rest of the acceptance letters soon.

I know how you feel!!! I'm married too...no pets or kids so not as complicated but it's gonna suck if i hear at the last minute! ugh!

sulfur! great...

Members don't see this ad :)
Koni, how much is the school you are planning to go to?

Koni, how much is the school you are planning to go to?

It comes out to about 75k total for tuition alone (with WICHE). That'll only be 7k less than the 68k for tuition I would have paid for Hilo. Cost of living is less in Colorado than it is in Hawaii too so there isn't much of a difference. :)

So I'm curious, how many students actually have or will have their B.S. that got accepted? Also did anyone go to the interviews on Oahu this past weekend?

Woot! I got in! I just received the big yellow envelope this afternoon. I interviewed in hilo on the 11th. Anyone else get in after interviewing on the 11th or 19th?
So I'm curious, how many students actually have or will have their B.S. that got accepted?
I have one, but I don't know if that is a big factor in the admin decision.

Was invited for an interview in Feb, couldn't go so they were going to email me for an invite in March and April. No response, I just emailed them saying thanks for the invite lol. I didn't really want to go anyways that's why I never asked. But I had conversations with them about it and they said, "sorry, we'll email you about the March and April ones". Seems like that aren't really organized.

Woot! I got in! I just received the big yellow envelope this afternoon. I interviewed in hilo on the 11th. Anyone else get in after interviewing on the 11th or 19th?

I have one, but I don't know if that is a big factor in the admin decision.

Congratulations on getting accepted! Are you a Hawai'i resident, or out-of-state? I think the bulk of us on the waitlist seem to be out-of-state residents...

my interview was on the 19th, havent received anything yet. congrats to you though!

Congratulations on getting accepted! Are you a Hawai'i resident, or out-of-state? I think the bulk of us on the waitlist seem to be out-of-state residents...

yep, I'm a local!

my interview was on the 19th, havent received anything yet. congrats to you though!
Thanks! I'm sure good news will be coming to you all soon. Good luck to everyone!:D

And now...housing

yep, I'm a local!

Thanks! I'm sure good news will be coming to you all soon. Good luck to everyone!:D

And now...housing

Congrats!!!!

So I'm curious, how many students actually have or will have their B.S. that got accepted? Also did anyone go to the interviews on Oahu this past weekend?

I will have one at the end of the term. Was accepted in December, out of state, but went to UH Hilo on exchange for a semester.

I will go to Creighton if I get in off of the waitlist there, and I should know around late May. So that's potentially another spot available for you waitlisters.

If not, I will be more than happy to move back to Hawai'i! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so after an email to them, they said sorry for the confusion and invited me for an interview I believe May 8th. Long ways away from Florida and not enough time given, so doubt I'll be going. Really sloppy there.

Ok so after an email to them, they said sorry for the confusion and invited me for an interview I believe May 8th. Long ways away from Florida and not enough time given, so doubt I'll be going. Really sloppy there.

I'm also confused. I thought that April was the last interview month... I called them a couple of weeks ago and was told that by May everyone should know- either accepted or denied, and the waitlist is good till the 1st week of school...

I'm also confused. I thought that April was the last interview month... I called them a couple of weeks ago and was told that by May everyone should know- either accepted or denied, and the waitlist is good till the 1st week of school...

Another month of waiting.... I am sure Ann is sick of me calling for updates.
I wish they would have some type of ranking for waistlisters. This is killing me!!!!!!!

Another month of waiting.... I am sure Ann is sick of me calling for updates.
I wish they would have some type of ranking for waistlisters. This is killing me!!!!!!!

did you ask them how many spots are still open... out-state of course... i keep getting the answer machine but don't want to leave a message bc i'm at work all day...

did you ask them how many spots are still open... out-state of course... i keep getting the answer machine but don't want to leave a message bc i'm at work all day...

Ann said that they are 70% full when I asked last week.
Hope this helps...

I got in!! i received the news yesterday and interviewed on april 19th. My decision must be made by the 7th, so i'm sure everyone will hear news soon!

Thanks!!

Congrats!!!

The class is 75% full and they plan to interview till the class is full. Alternates are reviewed every two weeks... not sure that's good news or not.

The class is 75% full and they plan to interview till the class is full. Alternates are reviewed every two weeks... not sure that's good news or not.

Who r they still interviewing? Are people still sending in their application??

Who r they still interviewing? Are people still sending in their application??

The supplementals weren't due until April 4, so conceivably, they could still be interviewing for a while.

The supplementals weren't due until April 4, so conceivably, they could still be interviewing for a while.

yeah, I was a little annoyed bc i was waitlisted so early on... makes applying early and rolling admissions kid of meaningless....

yeah, I was a little annoyed bc i was waitlisted so early on... makes applying early and rolling admissions kid of meaningless....

Tell me about it! I don't understand the logic behind waitlisting people if the class isn't even full yet myself. At least with UCSF and other schools, it made sense, and I know my rank. I was talking to my friends at UCSF about me being waitlisted at Hawaii and the general opinion was "WTF?" :laugh:

Not to say that if I end up getting accepted to Hawaii that I won't go, but at least with UCSF, they seem to be a lot more organized.

I agree! I know a school that knows to stop interviewing when they know they can fill the class with wait-listed people. I'm pretty convinced this school is pretty unorganized.

i would be careful of what you post, the faculties do know about SDN quite well and might be able to deduce who you are.

my impression is that the falculties are very confident of how the school is performing in terms of organization and that they probably want to get the best students they can.

i would be careful of what you post, the faculties do know about SDN quite well and might be able to deduce who you are.

my impression is that the falculties are very confident of how the school is performing in terms of organization and that they probably want to get the best students they can.[/quote

I'm glad the faculty knows about SDN because there are valid points being made here and whether the faculty agrees with the consensus or not, it should not have any bearing on the applicant's application. I agree with the statements above about the wait list. Other schools rank their wait list and only start waitlisting applicants if they've filled their class... it makes no sense to me to do it this way. I'm sure the faculty is competent and confident- that's not the point here since there have not been any comments about it. I think what we're all saying is: yeah, we understand they are looking out for their best interest. It just sucks that, as applicants, we're strung along. It would be nice if our feelings were taken into SOME consideration. I would love to be accepted but if I really didn't stand a chance then just reject me. Don't keep me on the waitlist for 4+ months till you finally decided to reject me.

Im wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection from this school. It kind of ticks me off that they continue to interview more people, as if the people on the waiting list arent good enough.

i think everyone should just remember that this is a brand new school

they dont have their own building and i believe they are in the process of being moved into a different building

i also think that they are learning from their mistakes and i believe next year they are going to move the application deadline a little earlier to maybe avoid some of waiting

and us local people are super procrastinators and most of us turned our apps in at the last minute

i haven't heard a thing from them yet...i turned in my supplemental on 9/19

Hello Members, I just joined up today and I have been trying very hard to get into pharmacy college lately. Western almost told me that if I took genetics and Organic chemistry lab ii and one more course in something, I probably would be accepted. But cost of living is very high in CA compared to Ohio. However, I totally ignored this direction since I am in Cleveland, Ohio and almost finished doing my MBA concentrating in health care management ( Dec of 08). My GPA in MBA is lot higher (3.53) than the under-graduation. I also invested in real estate and build great houses from age of 27 to age 34.

Now that is the problem, due to being in United States totally on my own from age of 19 has created some effects. Meaning one time I felt home sick and did not drop classes whereas I needed to and ended up getting F's in my transcripts. I did not go to classes or took any exams those two semesters. However, whenever I attended with seriousness I received B+ and A's. Also I completed majority of my course work about 10 years ago and my advisor who was very understanding granted me a degree in 2005 in Biology where I had to finish up 2.5 half semesters worth of classes.

Anyhow, while I am doing full time MBA, I took PCAT( last year in October, 07) and did horrible in it. I only scored 60% in biology and rest is very low. My undergraduate cumulatitive GPA is 2.96 due to the very stupid mistakes of not dropping those two semesters worth of classes. Therefore, my only way to the pharmacy college is doing well in PCAT. I went to Kaplan for it and did not do well last time since I also had to carry 3 classes in MBA. Now I am thinking about taking it over the summer again with two MBA ( I must since I will be done in December) classes. I think with my communicative GPA now would be somewhere around 3.2 or something. What should I do? I do not want to let my Biology degree go to a waste since whenever I paid attention, I did well. Then again I am 35 now and should I go for more degree in finance ( I do not like), accounting ( very dry) and MBA or should I pursue pharmacy since I would like to use my Biology degree which I worked very hard for.

Im wondering if anyone has gotten a rejection from this school. It kind of ticks me off that they continue to interview more people, as if the people on the waiting list arent good enough.

Hello Members, I just joined up today and I have been trying very hard to get into pharmacy college lately. Western almost told me that if I took genetics and Organic chemistry lab ii and one more course in something, I probably would be accepted. But cost of living is very high in CA compared to Ohio. However, I totally ignored this direction since I am in Cleveland, Ohio and almost finished doing my MBA concentrating in health care management ( Dec of 08). My GPA in MBA is lot higher (3.53) than the under-graduation. I also invested in real estate and build great houses from age of 27 to age 34.

Now that is the problem, due to being in United States totally on my own from age of 19 has created some effects. Meaning one time I felt home sick and did not drop classes whereas I needed to and ended up getting F's in my transcripts. I did not go to classes or took any exams those two semesters. However, whenever I attended with seriousness I received B+ and A's. Also I completed majority of my course work about 10 years ago and my advisor who was very understanding granted me a degree in 2005 in Biology where I had to finish up 2.5 half semesters worth of classes.

Anyhow, while I am doing full time MBA, I took PCAT( last year in October, 07) and did horrible in it. I only scored 60% in biology and rest is very low. My undergraduate cumulatitive GPA is 2.96 due to the very stupid mistakes of not dropping those two semesters worth of classes. Therefore, my only way to the pharmacy college is doing well in PCAT. I went to Kaplan for it and did not do well last time since I also had to carry 3 classes in MBA. Now I am thinking about taking it over the summer again with two MBA ( I must since I will be done in December) classes. I think with my communicative GPA now would be somewhere around 3.2 or something. What should I do? I do not want to let my Biology degree go to a waste since whenever I paid attention, I did well. Then again I am 35 now and should I go for more degree in finance ( I do not like), accounting ( very dry) and MBA or should I pursue pharmacy since I would like to use my Biology degree which I worked very hard for.

I know how you feel!!! I'm married too...no pets or kids so not as complicated but it's gonna suck if i hear at the last minute! ugh!

sulfur! great...

It would be difficult to move like that. I can relate.

yes!! That's exactly how it makes me feel since I have been waitlisted for quite a while now... what other message are they possibly trying to send??

It seems like you want to post a new thread.... it's on the bottom left corner of the pre-pharm forum... if you want to respond to someone else's message... it's the Quote button it's on their message at the right bottom corner... good luck

my impression is that the falculties are very confident of how the school is performing in terms of organization and that they probably want to get the best students they can.

lol krsnyf. Are you for real...or what. Who cares if they read here or not.
You yourself critisized the new CoP with your "play by play" drama of what you thought of the professors. Remember?? :eek:

lol krsnyf. Are you for real...or what. Who cares if they read here or not.
You yourself critisized the new CoP with your "play by play" drama of what you thought of the professors. Remember?? :eek:

if i left any impression of criticisms, it wasn't intended to be that way. maybe it's just because i'm not such a good student. despite of my own flaws, i'm sure i mentioned somewhere that we are lucky to have faculties that truly cares and goes out of their way to address our concerns.

Yeah right.
After critisizing each and every one of them you DID say it helps you to understand HOW they test.
No mention whatsoever about the good job any of them are doing. :eek:
Until now, that is. How convienient. Surely you can do better than that.

I will be going to Creighton, so that will open up another waitlist spot. Good luck to all those starting next year at the UH!

i called anne again.. she told me that they are almost full. I am tired of waiting. I think this year is not my year to go to pharm school...=(

i called anne again.. she told me that they are almost full. I am tired of waiting. I think this year is not my year to go to pharm school...=(

I guess not for me either then oh well...

Are they still interviewing?? this school is being ridiculous

Is the "roll call" thread updated with everyone that got into UH Hilo? I'm curious how many people are still waiting and even those that turned it down rather than those that accepted.

Is the "roll call" thread updated with everyone that got into UH Hilo? I'm curious how many people are still waiting and even those that turned it down rather than those that accepted.

I think that the bulk of us who are on the alternate/wait list are out of state people, since the university has to try to maximize the amount of Hawai'i residents first before giving the spots to us alternates.

They could possibly still be interviewing, but I haven't heard anything yet. At the rate that I'm shooting up the waitlist at other schools, I'm hoping I'll get into my #1 choice. I got waitlisted at all the schools I applied to, so it really sucks for me *sigh*.

Good luck everybody!

I'm sorry friend. :( when did you apply? Interview?

I'm sorry friend. :( when did you apply? Interview?

I finished my supplemental application for Hawai'i-Hilo back in January, interviewed in end of February, then got waitlist notification mid-March.

My #1 choice is UCSF and I've already been moved up 11 spots since getting waitlisted less than a month ago, and with all these other developments going on there, I could potentially get in to UCSF.

If I end up getting accepted for Hawai'i-Hilo, I'll definitely go because an acceptance is better than being waitlisted and having to go through the whole application process again. We'll see what happens.

I finished my supplemental application for Hawai'i-Hilo back in January, interviewed in end of February, then got waitlist notification mid-March.

My #1 choice is UCSF and I've already been moved up 11 spots since getting waitlisted less than a month ago, and with all these other developments going on there, I could potentially get in to UCSF.

If I end up getting accepted for Hawai'i-Hilo, I'll definitely go because an acceptance is better than being waitlisted and having to go through the whole application process again. We'll see what happens.

good luck! hope you get in!

Awesome. I hope you get in? What were your stats....If you dont mind. And how was your interview? Did you interview in hawaii, vegas?

Awesome. I hope you get in? What were your stats....If you dont mind. And how was your interview? Did you interview in hawaii, vegas?

My stats in undergrad (1991-95, BA Chemistry and Ethnic Studies): Science GPA: 2.6
Postbac (2005-07): Science GPA: 3.7
Overall science GPA: 3.02

PCAT (8/07): 99 cumulative, mid-90s in chem, bio, and verbal, 99 in math, and 86 in reading comp, 3 in writing sample.

I interviewed in Hilo (though I probably should've interviewed in Vegas, but oh well).