University of Hawai’i College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying here? or got in or interviewed yet??

Please share stats! And good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

what r ur stats? yeah i applied a while ago haven't heard a thing :(

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA = 3.08
sGPA = 3.47
PCAT = 76

i think they're just a little slow..i'm going to call them tomorrow to see what they're up to

PharmCAS was just sent recently...whenever I e-mail them, they e-mail back pretty quickly. Guessing they're just waiting for a critical mass before starting the process of selecting for interviews. Haven't received my invitation to submit the supplemental yet but I already have it filled out.

If I get an interview I think I'm going to visit Hilo for the week to take things in and opt out of the Honolulu and SF interview options. Okay, I'm getting a little ahead of myself :D

I received the supplemental about a month ago but I haven't touched it since. Hopefully I can get it done before they start sending out interview invites. Lol.

cGPA 3.05
PCAT 86
14 months hospital pharmacy

i just called...they're beginning to review applications soon (the lady on the phone said their next meeting is next week)

Well, I guess that's motivation enough to get cracking on that supplemental.. But I have an exam coming up too. Aghhhh...

i just submitted my supplemental not too long ago... haven't heard any confirmation yet. But it seems like this school does things by snail-mail so maybe it'll take awhile for them to even acknowledge they've got all my stuff?

I received the supplemental about a month ago but I haven't touched it since. Hopefully I can get it done before they start sending out interview invites. Lol.

cGPA 3.05
PCAT 86
14 months hospital pharmacy

Luvit. ;);

I think everyone should just have thier stats as thier tag line :laugh:

I still need my invite to submit the supplemental (I meet all the req's though), but my supplemental is done so that'll be overnighted to the big island when ready.

and I'll post my stats when I get into PS.

Alright! I finally submitted my supplemental. Anyone hear anything yet?

On another note.. I found out today that UH-Hilo is using the same immuno book that my prof at UH-Manoa is using. Sounds like a good thing to me.

I still need my invite to submit the supplemental (I meet all the req's though), but my supplemental is done so that'll be overnighted to the big island when ready.

and I'll post my stats when I get into PS.

You haven't got your supplement yet? I got my supplemental a few months... but too lazy to turn to it in.. and the fact that the Oct PCAT is still unknown ..:eek: really decrease my motivation....

I am writing the essay now...

Members don't see this ad :)
The letter they sent me was dated FIVE days after PharmCAS mailed out applications. That means it went from MA to HI and a reply was written all in 5 days.

I'm done with essay 2 but still putting together essay 1. 200 words is a piece of cake....BUT since my october PCAT scores aren't in yet anyway, I do think I have at least 1-2 weeks before this needs to be in their hands.

The letter they sent me was dated FIVE days after PharmCAS mailed out applications. That means it went from MA to HI and a reply was written all in 5 days.

I'm done with essay 2 but still putting together essay 1. 200 words is a piece of cake....BUT since my october PCAT scores aren't in yet anyway, I do think I have at least 1-2 weeks before this needs to be in their hands.

Limited to 200 words.. I am over the limit on essay 2. I think the ideas from my 2 essays are kind of redundant...

I am also writing essay for Jefferson.. you are applying to Jefferson too, right?

At least, we are applying the same two colleges... yeah!

Limited to 200 words.. I am over the limit on essay 2. I think the ideas from my 2 essays are kind of redundant...

I am also writing essay for Jefferson.. you are applying to Jefferson too, right?

At least, we are applying the same two colleges... yeah!

Haha yeah...I managed to hammer out the Jefferson essay in two days and two edits. I haven't submitted yet...I should do that before I leave for Thanksgiving break.

This may be a miscellaneous question. I finished with my essays..
Should I double-space the essay? Especially for Hawaii.. because I have to print it out and turn it in.

it's your call. it didn't even occur to me to do that for mine...
i guess it would make sense to double space it since single space would take up such a tiny portion of the page

anyways...has anyone heard anything from hawai'i?? i sent mine in on 9/19 and i haven't heard from them

i haven't heard anything either, i send my supp around that time as well. g'luck. please post when you guys hear back from them, i believe they've started reviewing, not sure what's taking sooo long :(

haha, if you guys had done your research, you'd know that the pace of life in hilo is quite a bit different from that of the mainland. That's partly how I answered question 1 :)

well i was just invited for an interview but i dont know if i will even accept and spend all that money because of it accreditation status, i know there has been some major problems and its dropped to precandidate, idk if that has changed since i last heard though...

well i was just invited for an interview but i dont know if i will even accept and spend all that money because of it accreditation status, i know there has been some major problems and its dropped to precandidate, idk if that has changed since i last heard though...

e-mail or by phone...

yes, you should decline an interview....:D

wha. they have begun!
when did you turn in your supplemental??

WAIT. What?? What problems? Someone fill me in!

well they said, there 2 interview sites, one in Las Vegas and the other in Hilo, on the 7 and 8 and 14 of december....i got an email earlier today, its an in person interview, but like i said the school is only precandidate status, its already been pushed DOWN from candidate...that worries me alot

where are you getting this information from??

this is from their site:
"The University of Hawai'i at Hilo College of Pharmacy (UHH-CoP) has achieved the first step in the Pharmacy School Accreditation Process. The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) has granted UHH-CoP Pre-Candidate Status. The new College of Pharmacy will welcome the inaugural class in August 2007."

also from: http://www.acpe-accredit.org/students/programs.asp#hi

it only indicates that they are still in precandidate status...not that they had it and then they lost it.
"Doctor of Pharmacy Predandidate accreditation status (2006-2007; 2007-2008)"

where are you getting this information from??

this is from their site:
"The University of Hawai’i at Hilo College of Pharmacy (UHH-CoP) has achieved the first step in the Pharmacy School Accreditation Process. The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) has granted UHH-CoP Pre-Candidate Status. The new College of Pharmacy will welcome the inaugural class in August 2007."

also from: http://www.acpe-accredit.org/students/programs.asp#hi

it only indicates that they are still in precandidate status...not that they had it and then they lost it.
"Doctor of Pharmacy Predandidate accreditation status (2006-2007; 2007-2008)"

hey does anybody know how much it cost to attend UH-Hilo? i can't seem to find any of that info on their site

maybe you guys are right, but i swear i read something that the school dropped status, and it closed down for a while....im pretty certain im correct and it is trying to be covered up, ill do my best to figure this out

you must be thinking of the OTHER school of pharmacy in hawaii that got shut down...UH Hilo is a different one and not affiliated whatsoever with that university

by the way...when did you turn in your supplemental application?

hey guys

i also got an interview invite tonight... i turned in my supplemental over a month ago. However, i will be turning down this interview but best of luck to everybody else!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/academics/tuition.php is the site for the amount for tuition. As to the comment above... did UHH ever have candidate status? I don't think they have attained that yet..

Applicants do this to get people to decline interviews/ acceptances...could the op be a troll?:thumbdown:

why? if you don't mind me asking..

i also received an interview invite! i will accept it

o b/c i made a little list of the schools that i want to attend and ranked them... and i got accepted into a school that i liked better than UH-hilo so :) but it's personal preference... UHHilo sounds like they've got their stuff together..it's too bad they'll forever suffer the bad impression that other hawaii school left!

i see i was unaware there were two schools in hawaii, but still i sweat i thought i read that....oh well, i sent in my supp about a month and a half ago, i probably wont attend the interview though its just too far away

a troll, yeah, right....thanks for thinking someone would stoop down as to attempt to get people to decline invites, i wanted information for myself so i can make an informed decision as to where i should spend my time and money for pharmacy school, read into it if you must

Until you actually have your first classes you will always be in pre-candidate status. And you will be in Candidate status until your first class graduates and takes the NAPLEX. At this point they would be able to be accredited.

i'm jealous =( still waiting for my October PCAT scores to post, and of course my supplemental (which will be mailed TOMORROW i swear, but not like it matters since PCAT is the "lagging strand" of my application).

i'm jealous =( still waiting for my October PCAT scores to post, and of course my supplemental (which will be mailed TOMORROW i swear, but not like it matters since PCAT is the "lagging strand" of my application).

I am in the same boat.. haha... I think I am mailing it today too.. Did you finish with the Jefferson supp?

a troll, yeah, right....thanks for thinking someone would stoop down as to attempt to get people to decline invites, i wanted information for myself so i can make an informed decision as to where i should spend my time and money for pharmacy school, read into it if you must

It's not the first time that has happened ;)

I am in the same boat.. haha... I think I am mailing it today too.. Did you finish with the Jefferson supp?

Yeah, one random morning I figured out what to write and just finished the essay. Then I felt satisfied and just submitted it right there, and the $25 supplemental fee isn't that bad :) well...compared to $80+ for USC and heck even $50 for UHH.

I'm still not fully satisfied with my 1st response for Hilo so I'll probably be editing it right now. Plus I need to photocopy my PTCE certificate (for the "Pharmacy technician training program" checkbox). Even though it wasn't technically a "program" in a traditional sense, I'm still sending it in :)

you were right btw, its the school in kapolei that had accreditation problems, not the one in hilo, my mistake! its good to know though, maybe i will attend that invitation then

Were you guys that were invited to interview notified by phone or email or mail??

hey guys, i sent in my supplemental on 11/5, but i haven't gotten word if they received it or anything. Did u guys receive an e-mail or a letter saying they received everything? Thanks

i don't think i remember getting any confirmation that they received anything. but i may be wrong

this may be far fetched...but does anyone know if they filter people out for interviews from the supplemental applications?
i interviewed at touro (california) and it seemed they invited EVERYONE who turned in their supplementals (which were invites-only).

Yeah, one random morning I figured out what to write and just finished the essay. Then I felt satisfied and just submitted it right there, and the $25 supplemental fee isn't that bad :) well...compared to $80+ for USC and heck even $50 for UHH.

I'm still not fully satisfied with my 1st response for Hilo so I'll probably be editing it right now. Plus I need to photocopy my PTCE certificate (for the "Pharmacy technician training program" checkbox). Even though it wasn't technically a "program" in a traditional sense, I'm still sending it in :)

Did you mail it overnight... ? I mailed it first-class (regular). The post office told me it would only take 3 days... but the school wrote to me that it may take up to two week :eek:from East coast. I live in Atlanta, GA. This makes sense since it take five days for them to mail you the supplemental application... I regret I didn't spend $16.40 to mail it overnight ..:( coz I can't wait to hear from them after they recieve my PENDING PCAT result....

Did you mail it overnight... ? I mailed it first-class (regular). The post office told me it would only take 3 days... but the school wrote to me that it may take up to two week :eek:from East coast. I live in Atlanta, GA. This makes sense since it take five days for them to mail you the supplemental application... I regret I didn't spend $16.40 to mail it overnight ..:( coz I can't wait to hear from them after they recieve my PENDING PCAT result....

Hmm...I think you should be okay seeing as October PCAT results aren't even getting mailed until the first week of December. Your supplemental will probably beat your PCAT results within a few weeks.

I'm right near LAX, so that mail hopped right onto a plane after I put it in the mail :) I still mailed it Priority Mail, though.

When did you receive your confirmation letter and when did PharmCAS mail their letter? I received my letter exactly 7 days after my PharmCAS mailing date.

Hmm...I think you should be okay seeing as October PCAT results aren't even getting mailed until the first week of December. Your supplemental will probably beat your PCAT results within a few weeks.

I'm right near LAX, so that mail hopped right onto a plane after I put it in the mail :) I still mailed it Priority Mail, though.

When did you receive your confirmation letter and when did PharmCAS mail their letter? I received my letter exactly 7 days after my PharmCAS mailing date.

Did you get the e-mail from Lisa " This email is to inform you that there have been some changes to the available interview dates for the UH Hilo College of Pharmacy. Due to the modification in interview dates, we have extended the deadline to 3 December 2007 for you to complete your application with the submission of the requisite four components in order to be considered for interviews in December. The four application components are:...."

If
PCAT result from PharmCAS is not mailed until the first week of December, we won't be eligible for their December interview:( Sigh,... Look like i may remain in limbo regarding the interviews from the schools until next year :) Well.. maybe the school can receive the score electronically through PharmCAS in the same way Harcourt sent PharmCAS the score