University of Hawai’i College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those are pretty good stats. Besides you having a degree, i think i'm around similar, yet I have not take the PCAT yet. I'm hoping that's where I can show them how determined I am.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those are pretty good stats. Besides you having a degree, i think i'm around similar, yet I have not take the PCAT yet. I'm hoping that's where I can show them how determined I am.

I have a 3.01 cGPA currently now that my grades finally posted. and a 3.47 sGPA. I really wish there was a spot they had just pre-req's listed. I'd have a 3.85 approximately. :(

Well the things that I have going for me are that I'm older (just turned 34 a couple months ago) and my life experience. Getting a 99 on the PCAT helped a lot too (though it was actually way easier than I thought, but that might've been just me and the level of courses that I was taking).

A 3.5 science GPA is actually pretty impressive, but if you have a 3.85 GPA based on the UHH prereqs, you'll definitely have a good chance of getting an interview and accepted, especially if you're a Hawaii resident.

Well the things that I have going for me are that I'm older (just turned 34 a couple months ago) and my life experience. Getting a 99 on the PCAT helped a lot too (though it was actually way easier than I thought, but that might've been just me and the level of courses that I was taking).

A 3.5 science GPA is actually pretty impressive, but if you have a 3.85 GPA based on the UHH prereqs, you'll definitely have a good chance of getting an interview and accepted, especially if you're a Hawaii resident.

wow, yeah, I hope you get accepted soon! nothing worse than having to wait. i'd go crazy.

From your invterview, did they look at just your "pre-req's" GPA or cGPA, or both? It would lift so much stress off of me if i knew they would have a seperate column for pre-req GPA.

I'm taking the june pcat, hopefully i do well. I have done mini practice exams from different books, and online and some i thought were so hard and others i did really well. How hard would you say the PCAT is? It's a very general question, but just your opinion I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, yeah, I hope you get accepted soon! nothing worse than having to wait. i'd go crazy.

From your invterview, did they look at just your "pre-req's" GPA or cGPA, or both? It would lift so much stress off of me if i knew they would have a seperate column for pre-req GPA.

I'm taking the june pcat, hopefully i do well. I have done mini practice exams from different books, and online and some i thought were so hard and others i did really well. How hard would you say the PCAT is? It's a very general question, but just your opinion I guess.

Well, my interview (which was in Hilo) was closed, so they (I was interviewed by 3 faculty--2 didactic and one clinical) knew NOTHING about me. Apparently the mainland interviews were open and done by one professor. Assuming that, I think they would probably just take the printout from PharmCAS to look at your GPA, which lists separate GPAs by subject (chem, organic chem, bio, microbio, math, social sciences/humanities, etc.). They didn't even ask questions about my GPA at all anyway, so I wouldn't even trip over it. I think that if you're invited to interview after submitting your supplemental, your GPA will be up to snuff, and what you have to do is to work the interview and get them to know you as a person to ensure your acceptance.

For me, the PCAT was relatively easy, but that's because I had finished the bulk of my prereqs by the time I took it. I had literally taken my O Chem II final the Wednesday before the PCAT, and that saved my butt because it was all fresh in my head, and nearly all the organic questions were from O Chem II. I had also already taken my anatomy, physiology and general bio. I thought math was going to kick my butt, but I ended up scoring the highest on that, which pushed me to 99 for my cumulative percentile. What irritated me the most was my relatively low score on reading comprehension and writing (since I used to teach literature and writing, this irritated me to no end).

I'm also confused. I thought that April was the last interview month... I called them a couple of weeks ago and was told that by May everyone should know- either accepted or denied, and the waitlist is good till the 1st week of school...
When is the first day of class for the pharmacy program at UHH?

Lucky bastards. It'd be nice to go snorkeling, surfing, or to the lava flows after finals while I'm at pharmacy school.

Just don't let the incredible spam selection they have there go to your arteries.

Is there anybody that's not on the waitlist??

Hello all,

ONE MORE SEAT AVAILABLE! I just gave up my seat because I'm going to another pharmacy school. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting. It's not over till it's over. Don't give up. Enjoy the beautiful island of Hawai'i.

anyone on waitlist hear anything yet?

anyone on waitlist hear anything yet?

I haven't, but considering I'm moving up on the waitlist at my #1 choice--I'm hoping to go there instead.

It also doesn't help that it's become super expensive to fly out, especially since there are no direct flights from the Bay Area (where I'm at) to Hilo--$900 round trip!:eek:

Hey, I just got the yellow envelope today!! Go check ur mail, u might find something too!!!

Congratulations on getting the big envelope!:)

I haven't received anything in my mail yet either, though usually I get mail from Hawaii on Tuesday instead of Monday. I'm still not going to hold my breath until I get the letter in my hand though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just got the yellow envelope today!! Go check ur mail, u might find something too!!!

CONGRATS!! unfortunately i didn't get anything either! But... I'm glad someone did and I wish you the best!

Can I ask for those who were wait listed and then admitted at UHH: Do they call you, e-mail you, or just send a yellow envelope to notify you?

Thanks

Good thoughts for everyone

Ryan

Can I ask for those who were wait listed and then admitted at UHH: Do they call you, e-mail you, or just send a yellow envelope to notify you?

Thanks

Good thoughts for everyone

Ryan
Pretty sure they just send you a yellow envelope without any other notification. It sounds as though they are filled up and only if people decline their acceptance will any waitlisters be admitted. Worries me since there is presumably only 45 seats potentially at large since half of those admitted live in Hawaii directly. Meaning not too many waitlisters will be getting accepted unless there is mass declining of the acceptances.

yea...they just send the yellow envelope without phone call or email. they give u only 3 days to make ur decision

anyone else on the waitlist get anything???

Can someone tell me...

How long did you have to wait for the second package after you turned in the deposit?

Can someone tell me...

How long did you have to wait for the second package after you turned in the deposit?
From what I've heard about 3-4 weeks later, if you don't mind me asking did you hear back recently or come off the waitlist?

From what I've heard about 3-4 weeks later, if you don't mind me asking did you hear back recently or come off the waitlist?

Damn. I guess I should've known. Everything about Hawaii is slow.

I got off the wait-list in April.

(sigh)

Called again to see what's happened.

And...nothing.

Bleh.

omg! i can't take this wait anymore!!!

You and me both.

Thank the goddess I've been working my butt off...and having lots of libations with friends to drown out the annoyance of waiting.

It doesn't help that I'm running to the frickin' mailbox every Monday to see if I get mail from Hawai'i.

I'm just hoping for UCSF *crosses all available crossable joints*. :p

I just received my acceptance today, good luck to all those still waiting - you should probably hear back soon.

I just received my acceptance today, good luck to all those still waiting - you should probably hear back soon.

Congratulations!

I haven't heard anything yet myself--but then I don't get mail till later anyway.

(twiddling fingers)

Congrats. Did you receive orientation email from the school or was it included in your package?

Congrats. Did you receive orientation email from the school or was it included in your package?
The package just had various things I had to sign about my conduct and such. As far as orientation goes, I'm rather clueless but I think it starts on the 21st for graduate students.

The package just had various things I had to sign about my conduct and such. As far as orientation goes, I'm rather clueless but I think it starts on the 21st for graduate students.

Orientation, Advising and Registration Aug 18-22 (M-F)

I got the big yellow envelope over the weekend but i am turning down the spot because i am going elsewhere. I was actually surprised to get the acceptance because once I found out that i was on the waitlist for Hawaii I requested to be removed so someone else could have a better chance! Seats are still out there if you are still waiting! Good Luck

And Congrats to all those going this fall!! This has definitely been the most stressful 10 months of my life so far. Yet Pharm School isn't going to be a walk in the park either!!;)

Good news to the people on the waitlist...I have just declined my acceptance sooo...ONE MORE SPOT FOR YOU GUYS :)

i guys im off the waistlist. Interviewed in vegas.

Anyone have some insight as to how they do their financial aid...I was quite surprised. My estimated cost of tuition at my last school was $34000 and was award $11000 in grants, and $23000 in various loans. At Hawaii my estimated cost is $42,500 I was given $0 grants and $7500 in loans. Seems a bit fishy, the only thing I can think of is the fact i applied for aid there once accepted which was like June 30th.

Anyone have some insight as to how they do their financial aid...I was quite surprised. My estimated cost of tuition at my last school was $34000 and was award $11000 in grants, and $23000 in various loans. At Hawaii my estimated cost is $42,500 I was given $0 grants and $7500 in loans. Seems a bit fishy, the only thing I can think of is the fact i applied for aid there once accepted which was like June 30th.
That is definitely strange. The reason you are not receiving any grants because you probably used it up during your undergrad years. The $7500 in loans is extremely low and you should contact the financial aid office asap. I was offered $8500 in subsidized loan and $35000 in unsubsidized loan to cover both tuition and cost of living. I applied for fafsa on July 3rd by the way.

That is definitely strange. The reason you are not receiving any grants because you probably used it up during your undergrad years. The $7500 in loans is extremely low and you should contact the financial aid office asap. I was offered $8500 in subsidized loan and $35000 in unsubsidized loan to cover both tuition and cost of living. I applied for fafsa on July 3rd by the way.
This is actually my first year of filling out Fasfa so I wouldn't expect the grants to be used up.

if i applied for the fafsa before i was accepted, filling it out as if i was going to UHH for another semester, will it make any difference if i file it as going to UHH COP? or is there a place that you put your estimated tuition costs?

I just received my financial aid letter. Anyone know what lender to choose?
There's a list but I am not sure which one would suit me. Any suggestions you have would be great!!!!

Is anyone planning to stay in the new apts near tobhi hale?

I am! Did anybody hear anything from that lady, Sal something?

Sal told me that they are having sewer problems and it might not be done on time as promised. I didn't want to chance it so I am staying at U. Palms. Sal also said that if worst comes to worst she will take in students for a month while the building is being finished.

I just received my financial aid letter. Anyone know what lender to choose?
There's a list but I am not sure which one would suit me. Any suggestions you have would be great!!!!

I went with citibank. They give you 0.75% reduction on interest. The only bad thing is that they make you pay the processing fee. Even so, I think its a good deal.

Last edited:
I went with citibank. They give you 0.75% reduction on interest. The only bad thing is that they make you pay the processing fee. Even so, I think its a good deal.
I went with discover it had a lower interest.. check it out....

Did any of you guys apply to live at Tohbi Hale? It is cheaper than the new apts.

Hi huhja22, how were you offered $35000 in unsubsidized loans? According to the federal loans website, a graduate student can only get $12000 max for unsubsidized loans and $8500 in subsidized for a total of $20500 a year.

Hi huhja22, how were you offered $35000 in unsubsidized loans? According to the federal loans website, a graduate student can only get $12000 max for unsubsidized loans and $8500 in subsidized for a total of $20500 a year.

Health Professional school students can get more.

From the Wells Fargo website, which may not be 100% up to date...

How much you can borrow per yearYou can qualify for subsidized and unsubsidized loans (no more than $8,500 can be subsidized):
  • $20,500 for graduate and professional students
  • $33,000 for health professional students (pharmacy, graduate public health, and master's or doctoral in health administration)
  • $40,500 for allopathic, osteopathic, dentistry, optometry, podiatry, and veterinary medicine
If this doesn't cover your costs, you can also apply for the Federal PLUS Loan for Graduate and Professional Students.

You are right. I was offered $20500 for both subsidized and unsubsidized and the rest was Grad Plus loan. Sorry about the confusion.

So, I just got an e-mail TODAY stating that I was pulled off the wait-list...and school starts in what, 2 weeks? Anyways, I have a question: How hard was it for those of you accepted at the last minute to find housing or do they offer dorms if the acceptance is this late? I know I should probably turn them down b/c it's too late and I'm from CA, it's not like it'll be easy moving in two weeks' time

Last edited:
So, I just got an e-mail TODAY stating that I was pulled off the wait-list...and school starts in what, 2 weeks? Anyways, I have a question: How hard was it for you to find housing or do they offer dorms if the acceptance is this late? I know I should probably turn them down b/c it's too late and I'm from CA, it's not like it'll be easy moving in two weeks' time
If you have not been accepted anywhere else for this fall its definitely worth doing...Thats an extra year you could be out in the career setting making 100k, and no more application stress. There was still 2 more units available at University palms last i heard (Universitypalmshawaii.edu), or join the forums (http://www7.uhh.hawaii.edu/forums/index.php) where there are a bunch of listings posted - they are more geared towards renting out houses though.

So, I just got an e-mail TODAY stating that I was pulled off the wait-list...and school starts in what, 2 weeks? Anyways, I have a question: How hard was it for those of you accepted at the last minute to find housing or do they offer dorms if the acceptance is this late? I know I should probably turn them down b/c it's too late and I'm from CA, it's not like it'll be easy moving in two weeks' time

lol. Funny you mention this. I still haven't even received my official rejection from them yet. They definitely need to get their process a little more streamlined.