*^*UNECOM Class of 2011*^*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah- good call about the insurance. I don't know what to do as well. I know UNECOM gives us really expensive insurance. Do most people use something different? I, too, am under 30 w/out dependents...what would be the most inexpensive plan?

Members don't see this ad.

With SOMA, do you have to submit claims to get reimbursed? If so, don't go that way. You might end up haggling over every claim.

Does anyone know what you have to do to show you have a;ternate health insurance?

Members don't see this ad :)
With SOMA, do you have to submit claims to get reimbursed? If so, don't go that way. You might end up haggling over every claim.

I called SOMA insurance, they said it all depends on the doctor you are seeing. Some will require you to submit claims while others do not, which tells me getting this insurance may become an uneccessary hassle to save $300 annually.

For Chickering;
If the physician is out of network, depending on the doctor you may or may not need to submit a claim, while for SOMA this applies for both prefered and none-prefered physicians. Also, for prescription drugs you MUST submit a claims form to get reimbursed for Chickering and SOMA insurance.

The Dental and Vision plan for UNE chickering is 20-50% off dental procedures and 20% off for vision. Therefore, there is no actual plan under the une insurance, only a discount.

Side note: While driving to une I noticed a place with 2 tennis courts. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, can I play there?

person asking about tennis courts! yes that is a public park, its clifford park

I play tennis all the time and I'm going to the a 2nd year at UNECOM, the tennis court at clifford park has been under construction and still is. Nobody knows when it'll be back up.

A few other UNECOM students and myself play tennis 2-3 times a week at other courts around biddeford/saco area. if you have questions you can always PM me.

There is one on May St. in biddeford right off alfred rd.
There is another one on North St. in Saco

Oh yeah there is also a Texas Hold'em Poker game hosted on weekends :) if you're interested also PM me

I figured I'd ask all of you guys this question since you all just went through the application process...

Do people that are not from the New-England or Northeast areas have a good chance getting into NECOM? I have researched this school and absolutely love it! My MCAT & GPA are above average, but I'm from the Midwest (MI) :-( Is it even worth applying? Thanks in advance for any help!

Abby, I'm from Colorado. While most people tend to not want to move too far for medical school, UNECOM is quite receptive to folks from far away. They strive for diversity, so it's not that they only want people from around New England, it's that the majority of people who apply are from New England

It's worth applying. Get it done ASAP -- when I applied, I was interviewed in September and my acceptance letter darn near beat me home.

I would apply, they love people from everywhere, we have people from arizona, california, colorado, min. you name it they there, my class of 2009 Good luck

So, it's after July 1. For those of you who have other insurance, you can get into Chickering's website and waive that sucker.

Regarding parking permits: they won't be ready for sale until AUGUST 1 (yes, something else to do during crunch time of getting yourself squared away and ready for class). Don't worry about not having it before you start orientation... they don't generally start checking for parking permits until September to allow everyone ample time to receive them in the mail.

I am struggling here....what kind of laptop is best to buy?
Right now, I am looking at shelling out $2200 on a 15" screen Mac lap top.
Is this a solid investment, or should I buy a cheaper PC...say a nice Dell for arounf $1000. As a med student, will I being relying on my laptop for everything?

PC or MAC???
Thanks!

Does anyone know what the sequence of techniques and body parts that we focus on in OMM during the first year? For example, do we start with head and neck and then move to spine, pelvis etc? Or do we cover all the body but go through different techniques in order? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am struggling here....what kind of laptop is best to buy?
Right now, I am looking at shelling out $2200 on a 15" screen Mac lap top.
Is this a solid investment, or should I buy a cheaper PC...say a nice Dell for arounf $1000. As a med student, will I being relying on my laptop for everything?

PC or MAC???
Thanks!

Your labtop will be your best friend.
I use mac.. but its true you can get a dell for less than a 1000$ dollar.
I personally prefer a smaller computer, since you will be so tired and won't want to carry around so much stuff.

Fozzies computer is really small. Its apple as well.

If you are use to PC stay with PC, because once you switch to Mac you will never be able to go back! Its just not the same.

Well,

the new MacBook Pro with 2.2Ghz LED Screen and santa rosa chipset with the student discount is only 1799.00 plus a free ipod nano (if you buy it at NH which is 30min away) is tax free.

after you get it, just download apple's bootcamp 1.3 (free download) and you can use it as windows XP PC or mac OS X choose it at the startup.

1799.00 is very good price, for the same spec w/santa rosa chipset (new from intel) from Lenovo, Dell, etc. with LED screen (which saves battery by 30% versus conventional LCD screen). you get to run both mac and PC.

during the school year i have seen people switched over to macs from PC and they swear they never go back. so.. :)

OMM starts with basic concepts with butt cheeks spread :) what dr Buser called the "D.O. ice breaker" heh. and yes you get to spread each other butt cheeks on the first day. :eek:

then moves onto - lower limbs
back to - butt and lower back
then to - lumbar and upper back
then to - chest/ respiratory
then to - upper limbs and shoulders
then to - head/neck

There will be muscle energy, counterstrain, HVLA, and soft tissues myofascia techniques incorporated into each one of the above topic plus knowledge of anatomy/physiology/and pathophysiology associated with each most common clinical treatment.

Parking permits. Ok. Security originally put out a memo stating they wouldn't be on sale until August 1, then yesterday I got an email stating they were available. If they're there, get one. If not, wait.

Jeez. this is what I get for trying to pass on information?? Sorry if I confused anyone... :(

Does anyone know what the sequence of techniques and body parts that we focus on in OMM during the first year? For example, do we start with head and neck and then move to spine, pelvis etc? Or do we cover all the body but go through different techniques in order? Thanks!
You basic intro to techniques, then you do lower limb, sacrum/pelvis, then lumbar, then thorax, then finish with cervical and upper limb. for first year
2nd year is intergrating treatments within the systems, then you do cranial, thenyou do electives in a specialty, I did injection therapy for trigger points. thats how it goes.

Does anyone know when they will post the days/times for each class?

Does anyone know when they will post the days/times for each class?
yeah the day you start, during orientation.. basically its anatomy X5 days Qweek.
you will come to love how lacking the curriculum office is at posting schedules early:hardy:
If anyone is looking for used books, PM me, and tell me what you are looking for I might have some to sell, could meet you at orientation..

Funny. How many hours a day are devoted to anatomy? I got the impression it was 4-5 lecture/lab, at least, plus studying.

You'll be done with anatomy by Halloween.

i don't have the first couple of weeks of last year's schedule, but starting August 28:
Monday: 8-9 anatomy lecture
9-12 anatomy lab
1-3 embryology
Tuesday: 9-10 OPP lecture
10-12 OPP lab
1-2 anatomy lecture
2-5 anatomy lab
Wednesday: 8-10 EOM lecture
10-12 EOM small groups
1-2 anatomy lecture
2-5 anatomy lab
Thursday: 8-9 anatomy lecture
9-12 anatomy lab
afternoon for preceptorship if scheduled, or free for studying if not.
Friday: 8-9 anatomy lecture
9-12 anatomy lab
1-3 embryology

I think the first couple of weeks there was more anatomy and less embryo, but I could be wrong. That seems SOO long ago. Also, your schedule may be different than ours. Ours was certainly different than class of 2009. And while you *might* *might* get done with your dissections during lab time, I think that was very much the exception. Most of us came in during weekends and nights to finish dissection, find everything, look at everything, get a clean field. Also, you'll need extra time to body surf (that's look at the other bodies in lab) -- this is SOOO key to anatomy. I guarantee they will tag any weird anamoly they can find (Baker's cyst, vertebral artery coming off the heart, extra branch of a main nerve, etc.). you want to spend time finding all that weird stuff.

Hey gang,
Two two-bedroom apartments just opened up in Biddo Pool! I live in the third within the building, and will be there for another two years. Right on the ocean, year-round 2.5 miles from school.

---
Relevant info:
Contact - Steve Foran, 1st Maine Real Estate
Phone - 207.282.7588
Website - http://1stmainerealestate.com
Location - 5 Lester B. Orcutt Blvd in Biddeford
Pool (same building as that office's location)
Particulars - Two two-bedroom apartments located
*on* Saco Bay. Year round rentals. Heat and hot
water included. Both have washer hookups, one has
dryer vent. Off-street parking. New paint and
cleanings. History of renting to medical students,
which he prefers. Both were vacated by medical
students and he's interested in four more.

Hoping for immediate rental.
---
Hoping your time off's been full of fun and sloth!

Your friendly neighborhood transcontinental Fellow (I'll be yours for the first half of OPP-II in a year ;) ),
Scotty McQ.

Hey, how many of the required books are people buying before class starts? My inclination is to get them early, b/c there are better book deal to be had. Thoughts?

Also, are people's significant others going to their orientation?

it's been a while since i last posted but i'll be moving to portland this weekend and will be unpacking and settling in between then and the start of classes. if anyone else is in the area feel free to drop me a line here or at [email protected] if you want to grab a drink.
to rgerwin: my new fiance will probably go to the significant other portion of orientation and maybe some of the night activities but that would be it.
as far as books go i've heard that it's a good idea not to buy all of the required books at the beginning as people either don't have time to use them all or don't like them. it seems like the best idea is to check them out in the library, see what the class notes are like, and go from there. anyone else have thoughts on the book list?

Where in portland are you moving to?

the place is on carlyle rd. i can't wait to get up there and settled in.

Cool. What kind of place did you rent? Part of a home, more of an apt building? There is such a variety around.

it's a whole house with a yard in a little neighborhood. we have a dog and three cats so we needed something with a decent amount of room and a place for the dog to go outside. we also want to start letting one of the cats outside, he's always trying to escape now and it seems like a safe enough area without too much traffic. do i remember from way back in this thread that you're in portland?

That sounds super nice. Yes, we moved here about 6 weeks ago. WE live on commercial st. down by the piers. We also have 2 cats, and went from no space to huge space, so they are constanty running around at break-neck speed. I think my biggest love is the w/d in the apt. as opposed to not in the building, up stairs, and bad, but expensive, machines. Good stuff.

have you found any good restaurants or bars yet? a friend of mine who used to live there told me about a good brew pub called grittys or grimys. i've never lived outside of the boston/worcester area so i'll have to do some exploring and find some good eating and drinking spots.

have you found any good restaurants or bars yet? a friend of mine who used to live there told me about a good brew pub called grittys or grimys. i've never lived outside of the boston/worcester area so i'll have to do some exploring and find some good eating and drinking spots.

Grittys is good. Bull Feeneys, RiRa's, Flatbreads, $3 Deweys, Dogfish Cafe are great places. There is a good amount to choose from in the Old Port area. Whole Foods has an AMAZING food court! Just thought I'd share :)

One quick thing about books: I'd wait to get all of them. You're only going to need a few of them for the 1st trimester so its best to only get what you need right away if you are trying to maintain a budget.
I know I'll be selling a few of my books as well as some of my fellow classmates during the first few weeks so yet another good reason to wait a bit.

I actually lived here before, so yes, I've got some favorites. I can definitely agree with Bull Feeny's, Ri-Ra, and the whole foods is amazing. Gritty's is also good, but I went on a friday and it was so crowded I could barely get to the bathroom. I've never been to 3$ Dewey's. Anthony's makes this bizarre but great Autumn Gobbler wrap, and there is also Au Naturals, a bubble tea cafe, Standard bakery, and Portland Coffee Roasters. All these places are in a very small radius in the Old Port.

Thanks for the book advice!

Oh, and Yosaku and Margarita's, and Sengchai Thai will deliver good food until 11pm 7 days a week. Rare for Maine. Can you tell I haven't cooked much lately?

Hmm. And to think, two days ago I made spicy mussels in white wine and steamed lobster. Day after that I made homemade spinach artichoke cheese dip (oh, man.... can you say fabulicious? and I *hate* spinach and artichokes generally). Yesterday it was a beef rump roast with pan-grilled thinly sliced potatoes (I sliced the leftover roast thinly and will use it for sandwiches for the week).

So the leftover roast beef: on multi-grain bread with cheddar and a thin layer of horseradish. On baguette slices with gorgonzola melted on top. Open faced with homemade gravy. In a wrap with peppers and onions. Just plain.

Time for homemade cinnamon rolls this week. And perhaps apricot scones. Next week I think I'll made apple-pear-raisin-nut hand pies in a pastry crust.

Who needs take-out????

The food around here is quite tasty, and cheap, at least compared to NY. I've had lobster or some other delicious fish every day since we moved here. Theres a great fish store in Scarborough on Rt. 1 where they even cook the fish or lobster for you for free. and their cheap, only $15 for a 2lb. hardshell lobster.....

Hmm. And to think, two days ago I made spicy mussels in white wine and steamed lobster. Day after that I made homemade spinach artichoke cheese dip (oh, man.... can you say fabulicious? and I *hate* spinach and artichokes generally). Yesterday it was a beef rump roast with pan-grilled thinly sliced potatoes (I sliced the leftover roast thinly and will use it for sandwiches for the week).

So the leftover roast beef: on multi-grain bread with cheddar and a thin layer of horseradish. On baguette slices with gorgonzola melted on top. Open faced with homemade gravy. In a wrap with peppers and onions. Just plain.

Time for homemade cinnamon rolls this week. And perhaps apricot scones. Next week I think I'll made apple-pear-raisin-nut hand pies in a pastry crust.

Who needs take-out????
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice! Sounds like your quite a cook. Good homemade food is so much better than take out but Portland does have a lot of great dinning choices. I'm almost envious of those of you living there. But come winter I will certainly not envy the commute. I'm already dreading the drive from Saco! I may try and bike to school.

Does anyone know when fin aid releases money? Is it August 8?

Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know when fin aid releases money? Is it August 8?

Cheers!

They aim to have it available within the first few weeks of classes. I would call them directly to get a better idea because it is also dependent upon your package being completed and ready for disbursement (sp?).

-S

I actually lived here before, so yes, I've got some favorites. I can definitely agree with Bull Feeny's, Ri-Ra, and the whole foods is amazing. Gritty's is also good, but I went on a friday and it was so crowded I could barely get to the bathroom. I've never been to 3$ Dewey's. Anthony's makes this bizarre but great Autumn Gobbler wrap, and there is also Au Naturals, a bubble tea cafe, Standard bakery, and Portland Coffee Roasters. All these places are in a very small radius in the Old Port.

Thanks for the book advice!

No worries!

Oh, no love for Flatbreads?
Come on now!

Generally as a first year student, your funds aren't available until one or two weeks after school starts. Your second year is better - your funds are generally available the week before school starts.

I think last year I didn't get my check until the end of the first full week of classes (so two weeks after starting). And I had my fin aid stuff done months in advance.

Generally as a first year student, your funds aren't available until one or two weeks after school starts. Your second year is better - your funds are generally available the week before school starts.

I think last year I didn't get my check until the end of the first full week of classes (so two weeks after starting). And I had my fin aid stuff done months in advance.

Is there an echo in here?

Definitely, after living in NYC and Boston, Portland would be couch change if I actually was working a real job. Plus, now we have an actual kitchen, instead of a converted closet. I'm actually really excited to start cooking, and people were nice and gave us real, grown-up cookware for our wedding, so now I just have to learn how:)

Beware everyone... you will gain some weight during first year of medical school. So try to get into the habit of working out 3-4 times a week.
All that sitting down and banging head on the wall packes on the weight.

Enjoy the last month of freedom and good luck

B

So, I was re-checking the financial stuff and it says $1500 for equipment (including the PDA) and $2400 for books/supplies. Our book list had some supplies, but what is considered equipment for the other $1000? Anyone know?

equipment:
diagnostic kit (runs about $300-400)
stethoscope (a good one will go about $150-200)
OMM table ($300-500)
Tuning forks, mallet, penlights, etc (about $50)

And of course, you'll need scrubs for anatomy lab, gloves, scalpel blades, etc. Most of the basic dissection stuff will be found in lab (used but in reasonable condition) but you can always buy your own if you want.

Many folks don't buy a table (you can check one out from the OMM department for free if you wish). Others buy an inexpensive massage table instead for $200 (some say it's fine, other say doesn't work as well). You can get expensive stuff or cheap stuff -- your preference. Shop around and you can save some major money.

What should I make sure it sincluded in the diagnostic kit?

What are the pros/cons for buying your own table?

Thanks!

So, I was re-checking the financial stuff and it says $1500 for equipment (including the PDA) and $2400 for books/supplies. Our book list had some supplies, but what is considered equipment for the other $1000? Anyone know?

They factor in the $$ for a computer and PDA into your first years cost of attendance. Also diagnostic equipment, last year most of us got our kits from the bookstore for about $595 which gives you: Littmand Cardio III steth, Welch Allyn oto/ophthalamoscope kit, tuning forks, eye chart, the infamous "Johny" (gown), bag, reflex hammer and BP cuff. Check this out according to the breakdown if you were to purchase all items individually your cost would be: ~~$895
I'm not one to endorse a campus bookstore but they finally listened to our predecessors and offered a Diagnostic kit with fairly good instruments at $595 w/ bag or $575 w/o bag.
I'd call the bookstore to find out if they are still planning on this deal for your class and to put your order in advance. I'm going by campus today for a meeting so if I can stop by the bookstore I'll find out what I can and post it. :) I just read my award letter from last year it said Fi Aid factors in living (personal, food, utilities etc) expenses as well as the cost of a laptop and PDA. Here is a link for their official breakdown:
http://www.une.edu/financialaid/costscom.asp

Nota bene: For gross anatomy, its best to order your gloves online for a really cheap price or if you can bogart them from your place of business as a parting gift make sure you do so. I'd suggest about 2-3 boxes b/c they go fast, especially if you allow (or involuntarily allow) sharing. Also, get your scrubs from like wally world or something b/c you're going to burn them at the post gross toast, no need spending $$ on designer Prada scrubs to be "cool" in lab. You are going to want to burn them or trash them when you are done. Get like 2, 3, or 4 sets so you can switch from time to time.

anyone know what size scalpel blades you use in anatomy? i can grab those from work along with the gloves. very off topic but does anybody know about the planet fitness in biddeford and/or portland. and by the way, packing to move sucks:thumbdown: