*^*UNECOM Class of 2011*^*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone in the area play or want to learn to play. I haven't played in months (6) and i saw that the one court is open. I'm getting old and slow but still.

you can pm me (however i don't check very regularly) i suggest e-mail [email protected] (you know you want to) :p

Members don't see this ad.

i'm pretty sure that the class of 2011 will be all over the class of 2010 like a spider monkey in intramural football.

does anyone in the area play or want to learn to play. I haven't played in months (6) and i saw that the one court is open. I'm getting old and slow but still.

you can pm me (however i don't check very regularly) i suggest e-mail [email protected] (you know you want to) :p

yeah I would play Ben, in fact I play at the racquetball court all the time :).

since now it is summer time, I prefer to be outdoors playing tennis. Tomorrow (Friday 7/20) afternoon, if weather is good. i'll be out playing tennis you're welcome to join (PM me) however, if weather = raining, then I think i'll go play some racquetball and you're welcome to join too.

PM me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For the person who didnt like allheart.com, what was the problem with them?

Also, would Reister be an acceptable diagnostic set company? They seem cheaper than Welch Allyn.

For the person who didnt like allheart.com, what was the problem with them?

Also, would Reister be an acceptable diagnostic set company? They seem cheaper than Welch Allyn.

Buy the cheapest ones you can. You will really only use them for one year and will probably never touch them again. If you could buy used... go for it.

after making that last post... I got to thinking... Does anyone want to purchase my diagnostic kit?

Includes everything except stethoscope,
--Welch Allen Combination Opthalmoscope/Otoscope, c/ rechargeable handle in
case.
--Reflex Hammer (may actually include 2!!!)!
--Two tunning forks... the two common frequencies that are needed
--Blood Pressure Cuff
--A nice bag for carrying everything

I dont have the specifics on it right now... but it is the exact model the school recomended in 2004... I dont think it has changed at all. Minimal use, just needs to be charged.

Lets say $250/bo

It is in storage right now, but I could get it soon.

PM me if you are interested!

Remember before you go spending big bucks to get one right away that you WILL NOT NEED IT UNTIL THE SECOND MONTH OF SCHOOL, so you dont have to buy one right now!

Is there a fridge for us to put lunches in in the Alfond building?
If not, I might try to lobby/fundraise for one.

Is there a fridge for us to put lunches in in the Alfond building?
If not, I might try to lobby/fundraise for one.

yeah there is a fridge to put lunch in in the down stair cafeteria. So you don't need to lobby/fundraise for one.

However, you can lobby/fundraise the money first.. i'm sure there other things that one could buy to improve student life.

...deleted message.. wrong forum.

Do you guys know about how much does a box of 100 24 blades cost? I bought one that was really cheap and I am a bit suspicious that I might have got the wrong type (I heard before people talking about splitting the cost with your lab group, which makes me wonder!!). mine is a small blue box with 100 24 blades with a metal handle and it says on the box sterile surgical blades. Are those the oone?

yeah there is a fridge to put lunch in in the down stair cafeteria. So you don't need to lobby/fundraise for one.

However, you can lobby/fundraise the money first.. i'm sure there other things that one could buy to improve student life.

Dr. keys-
Do you mean it is in the cafeteria building? Or in the 'cafe' section of the Alfond building? Is it one fridge shared with undergrads? Or is it just for med students? Is it cleaned out regualrly and is there plenty of room?

How about microwaves? Is there often a line for microwaves at lunch rush? Is there one in the Alfond cafe area for just med student student use?
Thanks!

Dr. keys-
Do you mean it is in the cafeteria building? Or in the 'cafe' section of the Alfond building? Is it one fridge shared with undergrads? Or is it just for med students? Is it cleaned out regualrly and is there plenty of room?

How about microwaves? Is there often a line for microwaves at lunch rush? Is there one in the Alfond cafe area for just med student student use?
Thanks!

My information is 4 years old, but....there is a small sandwich stand in Alfond, so if you forget your lunch you can buy one. There is also the cafeteria on campus which is 2 building away (it's not that far a walk).

The fridge was only for med students and it is supposed to be cleaned out regularly. There was sufficient room in the fridge, but there were plenty of times that my bag was resting on someone else's.

There is one microwave in alfond, another in the same building as the cafeteria. There is usually a line for the microwaves.

Wook

The fridge is for med students, and it's the med students' responsibility to keep it clean (that means every other month or so a group gets together and cleans it -- this usually makes for unhappy other students that get their food thrown out). It's a BIG fridge, but with 200 people using it, it's pretty crowded.

There are at least two microwaves in Alfond, potentially three (but the third was often broken last year so effectively only two usable microwaves). Another is in the cafeteria building. The line for the microwaves isn't that long and you'll still have plenty of time to relax, eat, and study in that hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah yes, but the fridge is not that heavily protected and food may be taken. i can recall a viscious rumor that the cadavers from the anatomy lab "awaken" from their slumber and slide down the handrail to the first floor in alfond to munch on sack lunches of med students sometime around the witching hour and then take the elevator back up. i heard hank helps the last one get zipped up in his/her body bag. i only found this out because i was really bored on night and came in to dissect and much to my surprise my cadaver was eating a bologne sandwich that was 2 weeks old, and washing it down with some green mountain coffee. we ended up having quite the little sit down discussion, as he ate and i dissected his feet, and it is a little known fact that the administration at unecom does not want you to know!

true story - i actually had a large cake in that fridge for sometime and would find icing around the mouths of numerous cadavers in the lab.

OK,

Soccergirl, there are intramural teams that they have here and also that you can join in town. Our class had people that played on both teams. The start them just after the intramural football is finished or just ending.

So glad to hear there are teams up there! thanks!

Hello 2011 UNECOMers,

MY name is Greg Stevens I was just pulled of the ASA list today. Can't wait to meet all of you soon. My wife Andrea and I will be coming up from up from Boston. We've been planning this for a long time and are totally psyched to be at UNE. See you all soon.

Also, we're looking for leads on housing. It's short notice so any info would be helpful.

Don't know if this helps you, fasciaman, but this has been on the my.une website:

Two apartements in Biddeford Pool available immediately for year-round student rental.

Contact - Steve Foran, 1st Maine Real Estate

Phone - 207.282.7588

Website - http://1stmainerealestate.com

Location - 5 Lester B. Orcutt Blvd in Biddeford

Pool, in the same building as that office's location on website. Just next to the grocery store and across from the post office.

Particulars - Two two-bedroom apartments located

*on* Saco Bay. Year-round rentals. Heat and hot

water included. Both have washer hookups, one has

dryer vent. Off-street parking. New paint and

cleanings. History of renting to medical students,

which he prefers. Both were vacated by medical

students and he's interested in four more.

Hoping for immediate rental.

Thanks for the lead Shyrem. I'll definately check it out.

Cna anyone comment on what the dress for orientation is? Left to my own devices I'll show up in jeans and flip-flops.

Hi, A couple 3rd years are looking to give away a very nice
couch and chair that match. We're in Biddeford and leaving
on Tuesday. You gotta come get it. Call Pierre at 928-607-8357.

Cna anyone comment on what the dress for orientation is? Left to my own devices I'll show up in jeans and flip-flops.

Its summer time, in Maine, no need to wear a shirt, tie, or business suit for orientation so dress comfortably...flip flops are always a good start, shorts, t-shirt, Hawaiian shirt, just wouldn't suggest showing up in a speedo or bikini.
:D

Also, we're looking for leads on housing. It's short notice so any info would be helpful.

Congrats on your acceptance!!! I heard of an available apartment at 331 Main St in Saco. Pauline runs the place and is there most of the time if you stop by. They like quiet residents who don't smoke and no pets no parties b/c they like it quiet. Just a heads up for you. It's a nice building. Good luck finding a place!!

Well, apparently I did get the polio vaccine when I was a kid (thanks mom!), however that was in 1981. Should be interesting to see if I can find a copy of that anywhere. My pediatrician already laughed at me.

Hey guys and gals,
I'm almost relieved to hear other people are having difficulty with their immunizations. I have been dealing with University Health Care and it will be very costly to get fresh vaccinations and titers. The polio series alone is about 90 bucks... I'm possibly looking at about 450 if I can't locate records. Sucks! I'm a little put off that the med school isn't on top of this a little better. Apparently you MUST have the actual record of the vaccination, a titer will not be sufficient, and you also MUST have a titer for certain things. This is a requirement of all the rotation sites and we can't rotate without them. There has to be a cheaper way to do this...?

Any thoughts? Good luck
:eek:

Unfortunately, in Maine the Health Department does NOT administer vaccinations (in Colorado, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and I'm sure many other states, the state Health Department will give vaccinations for VERY VERY cheap - like $10 each). As for the actual record, you just need someone to sign off on the dates you got them. Again, in Maine they won't do that, but back home the Health Department looked at my records and signed off on the dates.

Perhaps if your home state is close by you would be better off to see if your home state Health Department is more helpful (and cheaper). The titers, well, those you might have to just pony up the dough for unless someone has a better idea. (I did mine before my old home state health insurance ran out so they were 100% covered.)

Hey guys and gals,
I'm almost relieved to hear other people are having difficulty with their immunizations. I have been dealing with University Health Care and it will be very costly to get fresh vaccinations and titers. The polio series alone is about 90 bucks... I'm possibly looking at about 450 if I can't locate records. Sucks! I'm a little put off that the med school isn't on top of this a little better. Apparently you MUST have the actual record of the vaccination, a titer will not be sufficient, and you also MUST have a titer for certain things. This is a requirement of all the rotation sites and we can't rotate without them. There has to be a cheaper way to do this...?

Any thoughts? Good luck
:eek:

So, I am officially compliant. All worked out in the end, though the most irritating and expensive part was actually my vision exam ($125) and the fact that my doc's office didn't send my urinanalysis results for a super long time. I'm curious, what vaccinations do you not have titers for that they require? Hep B? I guess I'm the other way around. Some of the vaccines I didn't have exact records for, but I had the titers, and I knew the general time of the vaccines.

Also, have you had any jobs hat also required records? They'll still have them, i'm pretty sure.

hey,

To get most of my immunization records I contacted my undergrad school's health services (it had been 2 years since i graduated from there and they still had the records) They faxed everything to me that day. You could probably get the fax number at UNE and just have them send your immunization records direct if you want. Just a thought. Good Luck.

So, i need an appt. to get my prescriptions re-written for Maine next friday at the health center at 12:20Pm. Does anyone think this won't be enough time? they said it would take 20-30 min.

Not enough time? :confused: as in you're worried about missing class that day? This isn't undergrad anymore -- you can walk in the back door (yes, please use the back door if you're late or need to leave in the middle of a lecture) after class starts. And there are mp3s online if you join noteservice. If you're late to lab, just walk in late (but do explain to your table-mates). Or not enough time as in you'll be out of meds by then?

I see that Friday's afternoon class for MSI is embryo -- and it's the intro class. I wouldn't worry about being a little late.

I think I need coffee.......... or sleep.

Lol. I definitely went to class late in undergrad, but I tend to try and be prompt to the intro day. Thanks for the info, b/c I am definitely running out of time with my meds supply.

Is anyone bringing someone to the Life Partner Orientation? MY husband was interested, but I never heard back from my RSVP and didn't know if there had been a mailing with more info, etc.

Thanks!

My hubby didn't go to it, but I heard last year it was along the lines of "you have no idea what your spouse is about to turn into...." and "you'll never see them" and, most importantly, "this too shall pass".

It can be very helpful -- many marriages/relationships fail during med school if you're not prepared for what lies ahead.

In reading the different schedules, i'm a hair confused. Does anyone know if the life partner orientations and ours meeting for breakfast in the same place?

Scratch that! I knew I had seen my answer somewhere, and I finally found it.

The rafting trip was amazing!
I really had a good time..
Good meeting some of ya! more to come on monday I guess
-----------------------------------
According to the schedule on Aug 17th,
it looks like we have Anatomy Lab : Palm of Hand in the morning and 2nd week of development in Embryo class.

would it be a huge deal if i missed one day of class?

but I may opt not if it IS a really big deal.. please advice MSIIs.

Whether that's a big deal depends on you, onstarr. Palm of the hand is rather complex, with tons of itty bitty structures that you would be very well off to know.

Are you leaving that weekend? I ask because you have an anatomy exam that next week, and that weekend you may want to spend body-surfing. I also am unsure at this time when the SOSA review will be scheduled for the MSI class. (The SOSA review is historically given by MSIIs to the MSIs before each anatomy exam as a review/refresh of structures. It also has lots of easy reminder mnemonics - I found it absolutely invaluable.)

However, the gross answer to your question is no, it's not generally a big deal to miss a day of class -- but make sure none of your classes are mandatory attendance (last year anatomy and embryo were NOT mandatory attendance). I would also check with your tablemates to make sure they don't feel slighted that you'll be ditching them during lab time. Heck, for some classes I *never* saw my classmates (and some classes were notoriously poorly attended by almost all students. Interesting to have a class where only 20 of your classmates actually go to lecture).

ShyRem-what would you say the more poorly attended classes were? I'm just curious.

Immuno was... sparse. Dr. Pelsue was very good at his subject, but his timbre tended to be... um... somnolescent. However, as an auditory learner, I went to every class anyway.

Also, before exam weeks you'll notice more empty chairs. I don't know who is teaching your courses this year, but you'll see a trend as the year progresses.

Hey everyone!! I think we have an amazing class--it was so great to meet a bunch of you on the rafting trip and today at the BBQ. I feel so fortunate to be at UNECOM with all of you. We're going to have a great time :) See you guys bright and early on Monday!
:) Kristin

My hubby didn't go to it, but I heard last year it was along the lines of "you have no idea what your spouse is about to turn into...." and "you'll never see them" and, most importantly, "this too shall pass".

It can be very helpful -- many marriages/relationships fail during med school if you're not prepared for what lies ahead.

Yes, and your significant other may want a social group that is having to deal with the same stuff (ie significant others attending med school). I'll defer to Shy but we had a group/club that was comprised of significant others that used to get together semi-regularly for fun (for the life of me it escapes me what the name of this group was...it is a UNE recognized group...man I must have Alzheimers).

Wook

I don't know, Wook. My honey never went to it -- too busy with the kids, work, etc. And he didn't go to the initial meetings 'cuz our home purchase fell through the day before closing (seller's fault) and the first month of med school we were literally homeless. As in we were all sleeping on the floor of a wonderfully hospitable third year and using every spare moment to find a house to buy homeless. As in we had to go buy clean clothes and shoes 'cuz ours were packed away in who-knows-where storage homeless. So he was... um... a bit preoccupied... to be going to the spouses/SO meetings.

Student Associate Advocates (SAA) is their name and spouses/significant others/life partners/partners in time/what have you is their game.

My wife is treasurer for this coming year so you might hear of or see her around. Last year she went with me to orientation, we had b-fast together with the larger group then parted ways for the day. She really enjoyed herself during the SO (sig others) orientation and highly recommends it.
The SAA will have periodic meetings. Hopefully this year it can be given some pep so they actually do something fun and not just meet up at startbucks for a chat over some coffee-n-cake. Just my $0.02...

Glad to hear everyone had a great time on the rafting trip and at the cookout. These next few days are going to be full of information, stress, excitement and things to do so enjoy it! I hope to see you all in the next week or so when I run your class officer and student government representative elections.

Oh, to mirror what Shy said in regards to missing classes:
If what you have to attend is very important then missing 1 day will not seriously harm your academic progress. The lectures are in powerpoint format (usually), are available via MP3 and transcript (via noteservice if you subscribe...more to come on this either Monday or Tuesday).
Just stay on top or get ahead if you feel you need to. We should be holding a review for your class organized by SOSA sometime that week.
Okay, I think I've fallen prey to the repetitivebug, time to go eat b-fast...
Cheers!

Is anyone bringing someone to the Life Partner Orientation? MY husband was interested, but I never heard back from my RSVP and didn't know if there had been a mailing with more info, etc.

Thanks!

Yes, my SO will be there too (on crutches, you won't miss him)! I didn't hear back from my RSVP either so I called the RSAS office and was told they decided not to do mailings and just to post stuff on myUNE. I didn't see anything additional posted about it yet. I think it's so nice they offer something for all the better halves out there. And didn't you just get married this summer? Congrats! Looking forward to meeting you :)
Kristin

Oh great! And, yes, we did just get married! Thank you for the congrats. I'll tell my husband to look for crutches:)

have fun tomorrow guys, its a whirlwind first couple orientation days.. but I would rather be doing that then crapping my pants in my first clinical rotation day tomorrow!!! good luck all
UNECOM class of 2009'