*^*UNECOM Class of 2011*^*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my lady friend will be there too- Elizabeth- beach bunny knows her. She will be talking a lot- ;)

dave

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know who i have to speak with to get another Portland cruise ticket?

nevamind.. got it taken care of today :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So. How's anatomy going everyone? Make sure you stay on top of things and don't get behind. There were definitely days (ok, most days) where we didn't get the assigned dissection completed and came in over the weekend, at night, lunchtime, whenever we could, to keep up.

There is nothing worse than walking into your first practical and finding the fellows have gone and found stuff on your body that you didn't know was there.

know it. Find everything in your dissector on as many bodies as possible. Make sure you know anomalies that may occur on all the bodies (for example, on lower limb, we had a Baker's Cyst tagged. And on TAPP, my body had a fourth artery coming off the aorta... and you bet it was tagged). And remember key points from lectures.

Unfortunately, y'all have a different anatomy prof than we did (we had Dr. Cross, who went to Tennessee), so we aren't quite sure of Dr. Koester's written exam style. But Dr. Koester's been around for a while, and I can't believe he'd believe the focus of anatomy would be too different than Dr. Cross did. For Dr. Cross, lecture gave us all we needed and I don't think many people actually read the Grey's anatomy book. But the dissector... that was really important.

Hours of extra time in lab will pay off. Even if your tablemates can't (or won't) make it during off time, you can still go in and do work. Find stuff. Body surf. Work with other table folks. Go through the old exams, they'll let you know where you're standing in terms of knowing stuff. KNOW YOUR DERMATOMES AND NERVE MAPS. Know which nerve innervates which muscles (if I have damage in this nerve, what muscles are involved and vice-versa). Know your bones. Know your attachments.

Yeah, I know. It sounds like "know it all". I would highly recommend the SOSA review and I would also recommend any practice practical the fellows might put up for you. Good luck. We made it through --- so can you. :) :thumbup:

Thanks for the tips and pep talk... need it! Feeling the squeeze! Anyway you mentioned listening to lectures at double speed or faster from the note service audio files - how do you do that? It is painful to listen at normal speed.
Thanks tons!:cool: --->:confused:

I played mine in Windows Media Player. Go to the top menu under "Play", then "Play Speed". You can set it for up to 3x speed, but it tends to skip parts of words too much at that point (unless it's my hearing going early). About 1.4-2.3 speed is perfect, depending on the prof and the original mp3.

Next thing. I've heard several folks in your class saying "it's no big deal -- I hear everyone fails the first exam". NOT TRUE. NOT TRUE. Let me say it again -- NOT TRUE. Last year only TWELVE failed exam #1, and for most of us exam #1 helped bring our grade up from head & neck (that torture comes in exam #3 I think and was absolutely the WORST block for many). The first exam is by FAR the easiest anatomy exam. BY FAR. And it was plenty hard enough. (Note: while only 12 failed, there were also very few HP on that exam.)

If you get in the habit now of studying hard, learning all you need to, figuring out what you can ignore, reviewing regularly, it's MUCH easier later.

The other thing I recommend HIGHLY: The SOSA reviews. Remember, these are being done by your friendly MSIIs who took the class last year and passed. We've been right where you are, and there are definitely little hints, tips, mnemonics that still stick in my head today (Pepper. Dr. Pepper. Dr. Dr. Pepper Dr. Pepper. -- that one will make more sense to you later, but it has to do with fingers and dorsal vs. palmar. It says something that to this day that's STILL how I remember those things, and I heard it first in SOSA).

GOOD LUCK. :) :) :)

I played mine in Windows Media Player. Go to the top menu under "Play", then "Play Speed". You can set it for up to 3x speed, but it tends to skip parts of words too much at that point (unless it's my hearing going early). About 1.4-2.3 speed is perfect, depending on the prof and the original mp3.

Next thing. I've heard several folks in your class saying "it's no big deal -- I hear everyone fails the first exam". NOT TRUE. NOT TRUE. Let me say it again -- NOT TRUE. Last year only TWELVE failed exam #1, and for most of us exam #1 helped bring our grade up from head & neck (that torture comes in exam #3 I think and was absolutely the WORST block for many). The first exam is by FAR the easiest anatomy exam. BY FAR. And it was plenty hard enough. (Note: while only 12 failed, there were also very few HP on that exam.)

If you get in the habit now of studying hard, learning all you need to, figuring out what you can ignore, reviewing regularly, it's MUCH easier later.

VERY TRUE! Take your studies seriously or you will be paying the piper later. It CAN be done, but you don't want to take it lightly. You are paying alot of money to not be getting as much out of it as you can.

Dr. Cross gave THE talk during the first lecture of Anatomy. He intentionally created a serious pucker factor, but he did it for a darn good reason. He wanted every student to study hard and take their studies seriously to give them the best chance at maximizing their learning.

At some point soon, you all will be saying I can't do this. Or I'm going to fail out. I called that the wall, and almost everyone hit it at some point their first year. We got through it, and so will you.

Hang in there!

Wook

Wook, Dr. Cross isnt here any more. Its Dr. Koester now. He seems pretty good and straight forward, but most of us are felling pretty nervous about the exam already. Guess the fellows are doing a mock practical tomorrow and then SOSA is doing on Tuesday night. How are you doing out in the ED? Good to hear from you. Take care.
-Rob

Wook, Dr. Cross isnt here any more. Its Dr. Koester now. He seems pretty good and straight forward, but most of us are felling pretty nervous about the exam already. Guess the fellows are doing a mock practical tomorrow and then SOSA is doing on Tuesday night. How are you doing out in the ED? Good to hear from you. Take care.
-Rob

What happened to Dr. Cross? Dr. Koester is great, but loosing Dr. Cross still sucks!

Dr. Cross went to the Debusk in Tennessee for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is he was tired of the New England winters. So we hired an anatomy prof from DMU I believe. And if he IS the one from DMU, he was well liked by his students for his clarity, his sincerity, and his enthusiasm for teaching. They were pretty sad to see him leave.

books are gone.

Last edited:
good luck to the first years on the lower limb exam monday. and hopefully embryo exam was a breeze.

-DrKeys

I got an interview at UNECOM tomorrow.... It's my first one and I'm kinda nervous, any suggestions?

Be yourself. Be honest. Have fun. Don't forget to have something for breakfast.

Hope the rain has cleared up by then......

:luck:

Thanks! The verdict on Embryo, I believe, will unveil itself tomorrow.

Good luck :) report back here for any embryo or gross anatomy injustice

cant seem to get enough of cranial nerves.

I still refer to that stuff. You'll be amazed at how it comes back up again.

Wook

Same with the brachial plexus man. Had a guy w/ some bad arm and wrist lacs... and I had to look up some info on nerve routes. Blast from the past!