UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I must say, Univ. Centre is looking more and more attractive each time I look. A brand new building, with those specs, for that price? Pretty sweet. Thing is, the thought of walking home at night after a long day of studying (or whatever), even if its 10 minutes, is not very comforting to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I must say, Univ. Centre is looking more and more attractive each time I look. A brand new building, with those specs, for that price? Pretty sweet. Thing is, the thought of walking home at night after a long day of studying (or whatever), even if its 10 minutes, is not very comforting to me.

It's been said before, and I'm going to reiterate once again. I know the area very well... You will NEVER WANT TO WALK TO UNIVERSITY CENTRE at night. It is far too dangerous an area at night to be walking, even the few blocks that it is. During the day its totally fine. But, at night nooooooo way.

Maybe if there is enough interest the campus could enstate a late night shuttle over there. They do something like that up here at BU Med, they have a late night shuttle that runs at 9:30, 11:15 and 12:15 that will drop people off pretty much anywhere within about a mile radius. But, im not familiar with NJMS as far as policy changes like that are concerned, might not be feasible.

It's been said before, and I'm going to reiterate once again. I know the area very well... You will NEVER WANT TO WALK TO UNIVERSITY CENTRE at night. It is far too dangerous an area at night to be walking, even the few blocks that it is. During the day its totally fine. But, at night nooooooo way.

Maybe if there is enough interest the campus could enstate a late night shuttle over there. They do something like that up here at BU Med, they have a late night shuttle that runs at 9:30, 11:15 and 12:15 that will drop people off pretty much anywhere within about a mile radius. But, im not familiar with NJMS as far as policy changes like that are concerned, might not be feasible.

I definitely hear ya

Members don't see this ad :)
I also am seriously considering it. Like you say, for the price it looks pretty sweet. My concern with it is parking, since I don't see anything about a parking garage on their website. And like people have said, there's no way I'm walking to school at night.

Potentially stupid question, but does Society Hill have some sort of website where I could check out those apartments? I'm at school in VA, so I can't just hop into Newark for a day to go look at them.

I also am seriously considering it. Like you say, for the price it looks pretty sweet. My concern with it is parking, since I don't see anything about a parking garage on their website. And like people have said, there's no way I'm walking to school at night.

Potentially stupid question, but does Society Hill have some sort of website where I could check out those apartments? I'm at school in VA, so I can't just hop into Newark for a day to go look at them.

I'm pretty sure I looked before and didn't see one - though I could be wrong. I think there are just listings for apartments within Society Hill.

i googled society hill (i believe the one in Newark is #3) and all i can find are websites for Society Hill 1 & 2 in jersey city.

Got a thing for the June 1st student's luncheon...hope to see you guys there.

i just got the info packet for the univ centre and they do have a parking garage. I spoke with them a little while ago and they told me that they've already had a number of njms students sign up.
About getting back forth from unive centre to njms, we could try setting up a carpool. Instead of everyone driving to njms everyday we could just split it up. It seems like either univ centre or society hill are the only options.

does Society Hill have some sort of website where I could check out those apartments?

All of those apartments are privately owned, and I'm assuming that the multiple owners each do their own thing. There definitely isn't a unified resource for Society Hill.

I tried to call University Centre today twice both with no answer which kinda made me mad.

Anyways.. I think it's funny how we are all in such panic mode about housing. I found myself actually getting stressed for a few minutes there. I'm going to wait to see what my Financial Aid package is before I really start freakin out. If only University Centre were a few blocks closer and not open to undergrads from NJIT, Rutgers, and ECC, the decision would be a lot easier. As it's looking right now I might just suck it up for at least the first year and drop the extra coin for the convenience. 1st semester courses are going to be enough stress for me.

Anyways.. I think it's funny how we are all in such panic mode about housing. I found myself actually getting stressed for a few minutes there. I'm going to wait to see what my Financial Aid package is before I really start freakin out. If only University Centre were a few blocks closer and not open to undergrads from NJIT, Rutgers, and ECC, the decision would be a lot easier. As it's looking right now I might just suck it up for at least the first year and drop the extra coin for the convenience. 1st semester courses are going to be enough stress for me.

I feel the same exact way - might just suck it up for the convenience the first year (its the trap they set, and I will probably bite it, haha)

I feel the same exact way - might just suck it up for the convenience the first year (its the trap they set, and I will probably bite it, haha)

Agreed with both of you guys. I just talked to one of the people from housing yesterday and found out that all one bedrooms and studios were taken already, leaving us with only the two or three bedroom option. I'm not happy about this. University Centre IS sounding more and more attractive.

Agreed with both of you guys. I just talked to one of the people from housing yesterday and found out that all one bedrooms and studios were taken already, leaving us with only the two or three bedroom option. I'm not happy about this. University Centre IS sounding more and more attractive.

I put both of the 2 Bedroom setups as my first two choices anyways... Hope there aren't any weirdos in our class... ha, j/k... or not

I have a question regarding the Hep B shots:
So, I got the three shots around 13 years ago, but the titer (blood test) that I recently had done by the doctor showed that I was negative for the surface antigen. I guess that means that I have to start the vaccination process again -- it takes several months. What if I don't get it finished? -- can I not marticulate...also, what would be the case for waitlisted people who don't hear about admissions until mid June, when do they start vaccinations, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I got the three shots around 13 years ago, but the titer (blood test) that I recently had done by the doctor showed that I was negative for the surface antigen. I guess that means that I have to start the vaccination process again -- it takes several months. What if I don't get it finished? -- can I not marticulate...also, what would be the case for waitlisted people who don't hear about admissions until mid June, when do they start vaccinations, etc.?

i think the paper said that you need to have at least the 1st two shots of the series done, which i believe are only about 2-3 weeks apart... i forget its been a while since i got mine done... its only the last one that is a long time after

Does anyone know if there is a way to get our University ID#s online? I forgot to write it down after they told it to me by phone and just transcribed it to my authorization form.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get our University ID#s online? I forgot to write it down after they told it to me by phone and just transcribed it to my authorization form.

I thought we didn't get those yet. I called the housing office once because the housing app asked for our ID #, but the woman told me it was ok, ie, just to leave it blank. I just figured we'd get that type of info later this summer. Anyone know about e-mail address as well?

You get the first one, then the second a month later. The third is 6 months after that. We need to have the 1st 2 done by matriculation.

No one mentioned to me that these were available by phone. Seems like that would be a bad breach of security to just give out our IDs to anyone who called and asked for them unless they had some sort of security process in place to make sure we are who we say we are. Once we get our IDs and e-mail adds, can we cruise the on-line resources that the med students have available to them? Are there class bulletin boards for each class or anything? Just wondering...

No one mentioned to me that these were available by phone. Seems like that would be a bad breach of security to just give out our IDs to anyone who called and asked for them unless they had some sort of security process in place to make sure we are who we say we are. Once we get our IDs and e-mail adds, can we cruise the on-line resources that the med students have available to them? Are there class bulletin boards for each class or anything? Just wondering...

yup, you just have to call the admissions office for your student ID number... i put it on my authorizatino forms and my housing form. not sure what online info it entitles you to, ill try to see if i can find anything.

Hey guys,

Just got off the phone with a rep from University Centre. Now, of course, its a business, and they want OUR business, but he was actually pretty helpful and gave me some great info about this place. I'll list some stuff I found out:

- There is a student special going on for UMDNJ students. For the 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom (sweet!) set-up, it is $879/month, but this includes almost everything: water, cable, internet, trash, etc, even parking rights in the garage. And you guys already know this place has a movie theater, gym, etc. So the $879/month is basically a lump sum for pretty much everything.

- Univ. Centre is comprised of 2 buildings, one 6 story, one 12 (or 13) story. I asked about undergrads living there, and he said that what they are trying to do is reserve the 6 story one mostly (if not all) for grad students, and the other for undergrads.

- I asked about distance from NJMS and safety. He said it was about a 10 minute walk, which we knew. But, he mentioned that there is an NJMS shuttle that runs very close to their place ((its right across from the Rutgers campus), and they are working with NJMS to have that shuttle actually stop at their place. That's not bad...

- There is some sort of visiting day next week sometime where they are having students come to tour the new place and to basically reserve rooms. May not be a bad idea to check it out if you're interested. Call them up to reserve a spot for that, or just to find out when it is.

That's pretty much the stuff I found out that was news to me. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Hey guys,

Just got off the phone with a rep from University Centre. Now, of course, its a business, and they want OUR business, but he was actually pretty helpful and gave me some great info about this place. I'll list some stuff I found out:

- There is a student special going on for UMDNJ students. For the 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom (sweet!) set-up, it is $879/month, but this includes almost everything: water, cable, internet, trash, etc, even parking rights in the garage. And you guys already know this place has a movie theater, gym, etc. So the $879/month is basically a lump sum for pretty much everything.

- Univ. Centre is comprised of 2 buildings, one 6 story, one 12 (or 13) story. I asked about undergrads living there, and he said that what they are trying to do is reserve the 6 story one mostly (if not all) for grad students, and the other for undergrads.

- I asked about distance from NJMS and safety. He said it was about a 10 minute walk, which we knew. But, he mentioned that there is an NJMS shuttle that runs very close to their place ((its right across from the Rutgers campus), and they are working with NJMS to have that shuttle actually stop at their place. That's not bad...

- There is some sort of visiting day next week sometime where they are having students come to tour the new place and to basically reserve rooms. May not be a bad idea to check it out if you're interested. Call them up to reserve a spot for that, or just to find out when it is.

That's pretty much the stuff I found out that was news to me. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

this is some good stuff pizan0 thanks!

when they say "parking rights to the garage" do they mean that the cost of the garage is included? or do they mean that we can apply to rent a space inside the garage?

this place is sounding better by the day...

this is some good stuff pizan0 thanks!

when they say "parking rights to the garage" do they mean that the cost of the garage is included? or do they mean that we can apply to rent a space inside the garage?

this place is sounding better by the day...

No problem! The guy explained that parking is normally $120/month (a separate fee). But, they are doing this special where the fee for parking is included in your monthly rent, and the total comes out to $879. Its a "student special," if you will. The special will be available for a little while longer (he didn't specify) but I don't think it will apply forever, just so you know. I don't know what their parking garage (or whatever it is) looks like, but again, I think he meant that you'll have a spot in the garage (or at least be able to park there - like in the NJMS housing)

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you know about the brand new student apartments only a couple blocks from NJMS. They are offering a huge discount to all of UMDNJ for the 3bedroom/3bathroom units. The rate will be $879 - $899 and you will get your own bedroom, bathroom, and a parking space in their garage. The rates include high speed internet, cable, water, sewer and trash. I hear the dorms are about the same price but don't include cable and internet next year. Check this place out www.univcentre.com

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious: how many of you are planning to attend the housing day on June 1st? I know I am, but at the same time I feel like it might be too late by then to start apartment hunting for August...

No problem! The guy explained that parking is normally $120/month (a separate fee). But, they are doing this special where the fee for parking is included in your monthly rent, and the total comes out to $879. Its a "student special," if you will. The special will be available for a little while longer (he didn't specify) but I don't think it will apply forever, just so you know. I don't know what their parking garage (or whatever it is) looks like, but again, I think he meant that you'll have a spot in the garage (or at least be able to park there - like in the NJMS housing)

I'm guessing that's $879/person in the three bedroom -- not that you get the entire three rooms for yourself at that price. Still, that's awesome. I'm thinking of living on campus the first year though. Do they let us break lease after the first semester?

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you know about the brand new student apartments only a couple blocks from NJMS. They are offering a huge discount to all of UMDNJ for the 3bedroom/3bathroom units. The rate will be $879 - $899 and you will get your own bedroom, bathroom, and a parking space in their garage. The rates include high speed internet, cable, water, sewer and trash. I hear the dorms are about the same price but don't include cable and internet next year. Check this place out www.univcentre.com
obviously a rep from university centre posted this...

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious: how many of you are planning to attend the housing day on June 1st? I know I am, but at the same time I feel like it might be too late by then to start apartment hunting for August...

I'll be there, not sure why exactly I'm going since I'm pretty much set on the dorms for next year.

Hi everyone,

I'll be there. I'm definately not living in the dorms. I think 2 months will be plenty of time to find an apartment. i've found good places to live in less than 2 weeks when I've had to, but 2 months should be more than enough time to find a great place to live. Most people don't start advertising for July and August until June anyway. If you start looking now all the places will be looking for someone to move in June/July. I'm going to start looking in earnest toward the end of May/beginning of June. I hope to have a potential roomate by then too! (PM me if interested...):)

Two people with very different perspectives... I still don't know exactly where I want to live. I'm debating between living in the dorms, which according to this forum can be either absolutely horrendous or an awesome experience, or living off campus at a place like University Center, which looks amazing but will also probably be packed with undergrads. That's not bad in itself, but I think we all know it can be...

And I'm also very much in the market for roommates, let me know if you're interested

obviously a rep from university centre posted this...

I'll be there, not sure why exactly I'm going since I'm pretty much set on the dorms for next year.

Yea, that was definitely a rep from University Centre. Just so you guys know, I am NOT a rep for them, haha. Just giving the facts so that we all make the right choices for ourselves. And just to clarify with someone who posted earlier - its $879/person/month in the 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom suite.

At this point, the dorms are still at the top for me, but I am definitely going to check out the Univ. Centre; when I do, I'll let you guys know what I see with my own eyes.

I RSVP'ed for the June 1st event, and I'm pretty sure I'll go - I'm just in the market for options, thats all.

Do you know if univ park would set you up with roommates? I assume so, but maybe not.

I'll be going to the housing thing on the 1st as well. If nothing else, I'd like to meet some of people in our class. I hope to have my housing situation sorted before then though....

wow its already may......

I'll be there as well. I'd like to meet some of the class since I wasn't able to attend the last student luncheon that they held. And I'm planning on living in the dorms, too... don't want or need the hassle of an apartment, at least for the first year.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but at the major housing options I've noticed a distinct lack of single apartment/studio options. As all single on-campus housing is already occupied, there are few other options in that regard. I guess I may have to look more privately outside the major areas.

Anyone else have any experience looking at singles?

Montclair seems to have studios/1 bedrooms for a reasonable price. Cheaper than the school atleast. I'm not too terribly familiar with the area though, so I dont know if those apts I saw on craigslist are in the nicer part of montclair (although it sounded like some were), and I dont know how far they are from the school. I was thinking of doing that, but then I dont want to be too isolated.
The main problem I have with newark, is that after living in a fairly high-crime city for college, I just really miss being able to not be afraid of going outside at night, being able to go running without worry, not constantly hearing about who's car just got stolen, etc. I mean, dont get me wrong, newark does have its charm, I obviously dont think every single person in newark is out to get me, and I plan on being as active as I can in the community, but I am just afraid that I would be trapped indoors more often than I want to be due to the area.... but then again, i dont want to be isolated from the campus/classmates. lol this is impossible.

Has anyone heard whether or not they've awarded the humanism scholarship(s)?

Montclair seems to have studios/1 bedrooms for a reasonable price. Cheaper than the school atleast. I'm not too terribly familiar with the area though, so I dont know if those apts I saw on craigslist are in the nicer part of montclair (although it sounded like some were), and I dont know how far they are from the school. I was thinking of doing that, but then I dont want to be too isolated.
The main problem I have with newark, is that after living in a fairly high-crime city for college, I just really miss being able to not be afraid of going outside at night, being able to go running without worry, not constantly hearing about who's car just got stolen, etc. I mean, dont get me wrong, newark does have its charm, I obviously dont think every single person in newark is out to get me, and I plan on being as active as I can in the community, but I am just afraid that I would be trapped indoors more often than I want to be due to the area.... but then again, i dont want to be isolated from the campus/classmates. lol this is impossible.

I had family that lived in Montclair for years. Montclair has its really nice, family-oriented areas, and also some pretty bad areas (not safe). I would check out the apartments specifically to make sure. Upper Monclair, by the way, is a very beautiful, affluent area.

I know what you mean about not being able to go outside to take a breather...or go for a late night coffee, etc. Being used to Boston and NYC, its going to be hard not to do that on a regular basis.

I had family that lived in Montclair for years. Montclair has its really nice, family-oriented areas, and also some pretty bad areas (not safe). I would check out the apartments specifically to make sure. Upper Monclair, by the way, is a very beautiful, affluent area.

yea, exactly... I live a town over from montclair, and it has a totally awesome (though yuppyish) side and a very very not so nice side.

Upper montclair has many luxury condos and huuuuuuge houses, as well as many great restaurants and a few nice bars. I actually worked at an upscale French restaurant in Montclair last summer which a buddy of mine owns. It also has a train station which makes commuting easy (its helpful for NYC, but never took it to newark).

the rest of montclair is definitely better than most of newark, but definitely not nice. But check around montclair. West Orange is a quick drive down route 280 from the med school and is another really nice town to live in.

Yeah, I knew that about montclair, I just don't have a good idea of which parts are bad and which aren't. There was one decently priced apt that said it was right by whole foods, so I assumed that was a good sign and that there are probably more cheap-ish apts in the decent parts. I dont care about super-nice at all, just something that's worth the commute. I was also planning on having one of my friends that goes to MSU clue me in, but I rather figure out if this is what I think I'm doing first. I'll look into west orange. I also heard good things about south orange.
Thanks for all the help.

I just had an idea that might be helpful to all those who are looking into getting apartments in nearby towns. A big factor will obviously be the commute time, so lets see if we can get a decent list of commute times for these towns. For example...

West Orange - ~10 mins via Rt. 280.

I just made that one up, but you get the picture. So if anyone knows how long it'll take to get from town X to NJMS, please post it, and we'll get a decent list going!

Oh yea I figure I might as well start...

Parsippany - ~30-40 mins (80 to 280)
Rockaway- ~40mins (80 to 280)

How's Milburn?

not too familiar with it, but i think it might be a few exits south of newark on the parkway... and I'm also pretty sure they have excellent public schools (My team and I used to lose to them every year in math competitions back in H.S.) haha, if that helps at all.

How do I add my mdapp under my posts (automatically)?

Hey guys,

I have my physical tomorrow to satisfy my immunization records, but I can't find the UMDNJ form to bring. Can someone please provide a link so I can print out this for tomorrow?

I definitely need these!

Hey guys,

I have my physical tomorrow to satisfy my immunization records, but I can't find the UMDNJ form to bring. Can someone please provide a link so I can print out this for tomorrow?

I definitely need these!

You can go to http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/registrar/visitingstds.cfm scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the following: (I know it says visiting students, but they are the same forms)

Visiting Students Immunization Record

Visiting Students Hepatitis B Record

Visiting Students Physical Exam and Health History

The only one missing from that list is the meningitis form, which I'm not sure where to find. I hope this helps

Hey guys,

I definitely need these!

make sure when you get your Hb titers tehy do the right ones... the med school requires extensive testing, and my doctor only sent out for the minimal tests despite my explanation to her of how I need all the tests that are listed on the sheet.

You can go to http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/registrar/visitingstds.cfm scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the following: (I know it says visiting students, but they are the same forms)

Visiting Students Immunization Record

Visiting Students Hepatitis B Record

Visiting Students Physical Exam and Health History

The only one missing from that list is the meningitis form, which I'm not sure where to find. I hope this helps

Thanks, my friend. You win at life!

I'll be living off campus. What kind of parking do they have available for us? Does anyone know how much it is?
Hope to see you all June 1st :)

I'll be living off campus. What kind of parking do they have available for us? Does anyone know how much it is?
Hope to see you all June 1st :)

I think its 150/year; multiple lots on campus.