UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha, I was wayyy overdressed too. I hate it when that happens. I was the girl in the blue and white dress and white shoes. And I'm way too shy so I was standing in the corner looking scared half of the time lol. well, not really, but i probably stood out.

I keep going back and forth on housing, but monday is the last day for me to back out of university housing if I choose to do that. (Longgg story). Its between that and university centre. I dont want to live too off-campus, if that makes any sense. I'm a bit afraid of feeling left out if i live in university centre, but I like it a whole lot more (mostly bc of the gym) and everyone was reallyyyy friendly today so I dont think that will be an actual problem, but just a worry of mine.

Members don't see this ad.

I was there! And I met hydrogen3k. I was the girl in a dark teal skirt and black sleeveless top (and blonde hair).

We checked out a place in Society Hill, the on-campus apartments, and the apartments at University Center. Right now I am seriously leaning towards living at University Center, it was really nice and having the gym right there is just so convenient.

It was great meeting you!
I was the guy with the blue dress shirt and khakis (I think there were seven other people dressed like that...) I also met up with menaniac.
Society Hill was okay, but University Center's a little better. I think I'll live on campus the first year...get used to the work load and find a potential room mate, then switch out some place for the other three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a list of recommended textbooks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/R17607LGWHZJEN/ref=

u still have 2 and a half months, so dont start studying now! :laugh:

PM me if you have any other questions ;)

Thanks for the awesome post! Your reviews for each book are great. Thanks for taking the time to spell things out for us. After yesterday's Housing Day I'm feeling more clueless and unprepared than ever. I don't even know what classes I'll be taking 1st semester. Gross obviously, but other than that I have no idea. The book list and comments help me clue in. Very helpful! Rock on ASDIC, and enjoy your break!:D

I was wondering what would be the appropriate attire for medical school. Are jeans and t-shirts fine or do we have to stay "business casual"? And does that also apply to orientation?

Med school itself is very casual. Orientation is casual except for the last day with the white coat ceremony.

I know you guys are all happy with the book list. Honestly I'd wait to buy anything until orientation. You want to get opinions of lots of 2nd years/3rd years so you don't buy all the books on that list. That was a list of every book imaginable that you could use (nice list), but honestly I used like one book for each class and for some classes no books at all.

My second reason for not buying books: do NOT read over the summer. You will regret it later. This is one of the last summers and large amount of free time that you will have for the rest of your life. Travel, work for money, do something else. Whatever studying you do beforehand, you will have to redo anyway (and lots of the classes are based on lecture notes, so you'll be studying stuff that isn't important.)

3rd reason not to buy books: you can get them used/cheap from book sales during orientation, and if you have a nice peer mentor, they might even offer to lend/give you theirs.

Thanks UDbiochem.
The official "booklist" comes sometime during the summer. As I'm going to be off in a week or so and will basically have no access to either internet or mail, I was wondering what other important information/lists/etc will be distributed before school starts. Is there someone from NJMS I should contact in regards to my leave?

One of the first questions I asked. I talked to a bunch of rising second-years, and they all had the same answer: don't do anything. Relax. Take some time for yourself for the summer. You did enough work getting in to school; don't worry about it until orientation.

Another concern I had was regarding the gym facilities. As far as I could tell, there is no gym or anything on the UMDNJ campus, and the closest one is the Rutgers gym. Did anyone hear anything about how often the students at NJMS generally work out, and if they do, where?

One of the first questions I asked. I talked to a bunch of rising second-years, and they all had the same answer: don't do anything. Relax. Take some time for yourself for the summer. You did enough work getting in to school; don't worry about it until orientation.

Yeah, I'm taking some time off. I was just wondering if there would be any additional paper work, etc. we have to fill out before orientation.

Doubtful... probably nothing they haven't already sent. Dr. Heinrich did emphasize that official transcripts must be submitted, health forms are due in with the prescribed tests, financial aid forms should have been completed, etc., but even the administration said to take it easy over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely take it easy this summer...go on vacations and have fun

there is a gym in newark by the train station called New York Sports Club...they charge about 55 dollars a month. If you have a Rutgers ID you can go to the Rutgers gym (they seem only to look at and not swipe it). The Rutgers gym also offers a special discount price to UMDNJ students ( I think it was about 180 dollars for a year...not sure exactly)

If you stay at University Center, they have a pretty good gym, okay game room, and medium "theatre" room.
The gym at Rutgers is pretty good, but it gets pretty busy (like many other gyms :(

It sounds like you guys had a good time at Housing Day, it's too bad I couldn't make it. Regarding the question about Unive Centre, I have a lease signed with them but haven't had a chance to actually check it out so I'm glad to hear all the good things about it.
... But I did get an email from them saying that all their 3bdrm umdnj special apartments have sold out and now they're doing the same special with their 2bdrm apartments, which is probably actually better for the same price ($899). The more umdnj students living there the better!

Aside from the rock hard vanilla ice cream, everything went great. I was able to meet a bunch of classmates, and ended up finding my roomates for fall at the on campus apts. I didnt meet anyone from SDN, however. I guess I'll meet you all in august.

Just wondering: Did they hand out a lot of stuff at the raffle?

They handed out a good amount of stuff. 2 copies of Lippencotts Review for Bichem, several review books for stuff like embryology, bichem, etc. maybe 8-10 books in all. Most were smallish review books, nothing like the big Netters they gave away at the beginning! It was nice that they were giving stuff away at all! I though that was pretty cool. :cool:

Hey guys! Wasn't able to make it to the event last Friday because I was pretty sick, unfortunately. I was wondering if they gave any information about Orientation; like the exact dates, when it starts, and any materials like that. Thanks!

Nothing specific was said regarding orientation. It starts on August 9th (I believe). You'll get more stuff in the mail. I can't recall anything else of importance that was said during housing day.
I hope you feel better now.

Hey guys! Wasn't able to make it to the event last Friday because I was pretty sick, unfortunately. I was wondering if they gave any information about Orientation; like the exact dates, when it starts, and any materials like that. Thanks!

I was poking around on the NJMS web-site and found this link for the academic calendar 2007-2008.

http://njms.umdnj.edu/education/registrar/07_08.cfm

According to this, orientation starts Aug. 9th. The white coat ceremony isn't listed, but they said at the meeting on Friday that it was Aug 14th. Time was not stated, though (anyone know something about the timing?).

How hard is it to do research first year?

WCC is usually at 4 PM...and getting a research position isnt difficult, in fact this year we still have some vacant summer research positions

Hi guys- i'm currently applying to UMDNJ for the 2008 class- does anyone know the averages for gpa/mcat for your class? i have a fairly high gpa, tons of clinical experience, but my mcat practices are in the 20's, and i take it next week! :eek: do you know if its possible to get in with a lower than average mcat if the rest of your app is solid?

Hi guys- i'm currently applying to UMDNJ for the 2008 class- does anyone know the averages for gpa/mcat for your class? i have a fairly high gpa, tons of clinical experience, but my mcat practices are in the 20's, and i take it next week! :eek: do you know if its possible to get in with a lower than average mcat if the rest of your app is solid?

Hi! I don't know the MCAT/GPA for our class. I'm guessing that it would be around 31/3.6 (based on previous year data/trends).
Yes, it is possible to get in with a lower MCAT (but I don't know how possible). Just apply -- my friend got in to U. Pitt with a 24. Another didn't get into NJMS with a 31/3.9+ .
Also, you can apply early admissions. I heard the MCAT/GPA is lower for that pool of applicants.
I'd say apply with confidence -- 'cause if you're not sure you'll get in, admissions isn't either :)

anyone that's going to be in the Newark area this weekend should definitely check out the annual Portuguese festival in the Ironbound section. I've been going for years and it's an awesome time (especially at night). Here's a link for anyone interested:

http://gonewark.com/atPlay/Events/Events.asp?EID=769

anyone that's going to be in the Newark area this weekend should definitely check out the annual Portuguese festival in the Ironbound section. I've been going for years and it's an awesome time (especially at night). Here's a link for anyone interested:

I'll be up this weekend to check out apartments (again...), so I'll definately go by and check it out. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Definitely agree. The Portuguese festival is amazing. So upset I won't be around this weekend for it.

Mmm... street vendor Caipirinha... :cool:

If anyone of you is bored or wants to read something while laying on the beach....you shud get Body of Knowledge: One Semester of Gross Anatomy, the Gateway to Becoming a Doctor by Steven Giegerich. He is a Pulitzer Prize winner who spent a semester with 1st year medical students at NJMS in the gross anatomy lab. You might get a good idea of what to expect :D

Any of the current students selling a used copy of Big Moore?

I kinda need it for this summer pre-matriculation program I'm taking. We start lab this coming monday and the book is like $80 at the bookstore. Anyone know anyone who might be selling it cheaper? Thanks a bunch guys!!

Looks like I'll be living at University Centre next year :D

I'm starting to get really excited about next year - but not so excited that I'm not going to enjoy this summer!

I'm starting to get really excited about next year - but not so excited that I'm not going to enjoy this summer!

That's great!!! Enjoy the gym and stuff. I think I'll be stuck at the dorms for, at most, the first year.

I'm going to be looking at 7 apartments tomorrow! Wish me luck in finding something clean, quiet and safe! Doesn't seem like too much to ask, does it? ;)

the recomended book list cannot possibly be the require book list. anyone know which books are required? i would like to buy them online asap.

the recomended book list cannot possibly be the require book list. anyone know which books are required? i would like to buy them online asap.

The required list has not been sent out. I think it is strongly advised against buying many of the books so early. From the twenty or so upperclassmen I have spoken to, they say we won't need all the books and not to buy them until/during orientation.
I know, I feel a little nervous too. We all want to start out on the proper footing...but relax....it's going to be a fun four year!

10 days left till i get to begin my "summer vacation". I hope everyone will have a chance to unwind for at least a few weeks before classes begin... It's going to be a little crazy once we jump into classes

10 days left till i get to begin my "summer vacation". I hope everyone will have a chance to unwind for at least a few weeks before classes begin... It's going to be a little crazy once we jump into classes

Counting down the work days until I can say the same: 18 days (not including today)...but who the hell is counting, anyway, right????

4 days 'till I take my 1 week vacation, then 3 more 'till my last day of work. I know I won't miss the daily grind, but my pocketbook will miss the weekly paycheck! ;)

I'm finally excited to get started. Found a *great* place to live over the weekend, and now I can't wait to move and get settled. Yippee! :D

Just joined the facebook group.

I quit one of my two jobs last week, and am keeping this other one until probably until school starts. It's a freelance job where I work out of my apartment, so it's not too stressful. I don't have any big vacations this summer, but I am going down the shore for a couple days with my girlfriend, which should definitely be fun. I should be sky-diving in two weeks if I can get my two friends together on a specific date.

It's getting a little nerve-wracking since I haven't heard anything from housing or financial aid. Plus, something was screwed up with my immunizations where they need more info. I thought the pain would end after I was accepted!!!

Just joined the facebook group.

I quit one of my two jobs last week, and am keeping this other one until probably until school starts. It's a freelance job where I work out of my apartment, so it's not too stressful. I don't have any big vacations this summer, but I am going down the shore for a couple days with my girlfriend, which should definitely be fun. I should be sky-diving in two weeks if I can get my two friends together on a specific date.

It's getting a little nerve-wracking since I haven't heard anything from housing or financial aid. Plus, something was screwed up with my immunizations where they need more info. I thought the pain would end after I was accepted!!!
I haven't heard anything from financial aid either. And I'm pretty sure my titers will need to be redone (despite two trips to the doctor's to get blood drawn and emphasizing to about five people that it needed to be QUANTITATIVE, all the reports say are "negative"), but I got so frustrated I just sent it off to them. I'm sure I'll be getting a call in a week or so telling me to go get stuck again :rolleyes:

I haven't heard anything from financial aid either. And I'm pretty sure my titers will need to be redone (despite two trips to the doctor's to get blood drawn and emphasizing to about five people that it needed to be QUANTITATIVE, all the reports say are "negative"), but I got so frustrated I just sent it off to them. I'm sure I'll be getting a call in a week or so telling me to go get stuck again :rolleyes:

I was on campus today and stopped by the fin aid office. I was told by the first year counselor that final award letters WILL NOT be sent out until at least after JULY 1, or after matriculation. Her point is that many students are still unsure of where they will attend and they don't want to be sending out award letters to people that won't be attending NJMS. So do not expect anything until after July 1st.

As far as housing, I also stopped by today and was told that all room assignments will be finalized by June 30th. I know some people who have received an assignment already, but if you have not, then you should by the end of the month.

As far as immunization, approximately 1 month after I sent it all in, I received a letter saying that everything needed had been "met". I hope this info helps.

for anyone who has not even got their initial award letter ( not the finalized one), I would call in to the office and make sure they have you all squared away.

On housing day they said anyone who didnt get the initial award letter was probably missing some type of paperwork. At that point I had not got my letter yet so I called in. Due to somebody's clerical error, the financial aid office's computers didn't have me with "accepted student status". So after my call, they called over to admissions office and got it squared away. I got my award letter a week later.

What a surprise, I got a letter today from the Student Health Center, saying I need a quantitative Hep B surface antibody report :rolleyes:

However, the other thing it says I'm missing is "Tdap/Adacel". Um, excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is that? Anyone know?

Tdap is the generic vaccine for DPT : diphtheria (which u will learn about in mgm ;) is all about protein translation going bad and patients have leathery coatings inside their mouths), pertussis and tetanus (involves retrograde axonal transport). Adacel is the brand name for DPT vaccine.

I am assuming u missed ur booster dose at ages 11-12 and thats why they are asking u get it now.

Tdap is the generic vaccine for DPT : diphtheria (which u will learn about in mgm ;) is all about protein translation going bad and patients have leathery coatings inside their mouths), pertussis and tetanus (involves retrograde axonal transport). Adacel is the brand name for DPT vaccine.

I am assuming u missed ur booster dose at ages 11-12 and thats why they are asking u get it now.
Thanks for the explanation. I actually just got that done, I guess it just didn't get noted in the paperwork.

Hey...where is everyone? Things sure are quiet around here!
*bump* :)