UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello yall,

Housing is kind of crap. So a fellow first year and I are trying to get a place in Society Hill, but we need another roommate. The place we are looking at is around $700.....and we are trying to get the place ASAP. If you are interested,or know someone who might be, email me @ [email protected]

Thanks x

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone considering or has anyone already done their preceptorship with a doctor they know? Is it recommended or not? For those of you in school, how important was your preceptorship?

Preceptorships can be a hit or a miss. They will have a lottery during orientation asking you to rank about 30 or so doctors. Now, I ranked 30 of them and was assigned a doctor that wasnt even on my list while some people in my class got doctors who they ranked first. But I got an awesome doctor and was actually happy even though the commute was terrible.

If you know a doctor (has to be in the outpatient primary care area: pediatrics, family medicine or internal medicine) and is not related to you, then yes you can pick him or her. A commitment of 16 3-hour sessions is required for the entire year (8 sessions for each semester).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

I just got some basic housing info in the mail! (I'm at 180 West Market) It says we're allowed to move in on August 1st, will any of you be moving in that early? I think orientation starts on the 9th, does anyone know if anything is planned for us before orientation?

I'm going to be asking a doctor that I know to work with. My mother is a nurse at UNiversity Hospital and I've met a couple great doctors over the years.

I just got some basic housing info in the mail! (I'm at 180 West Market) It says we're allowed to move in on August 1st, will any of you be moving in that early? I think orientation starts on the 9th, does anyone know if anything is planned for us before orientation?

I won't be in the dorm, but will be moving up on or before the 1st of August to have time to settle in. Those up early should get together to do something!

On another note...anyone get their financial aid final letter yet? Just wondering...

as am I... Albeit with a very sore arm from that TDAP.
No kidding, I don't remember being that sore after my last TB shot. My doctor's office is going to drive me insane very soon, I've been there 6 times now and spoken with them on the phone a few more and somehow my paperwork is still not complete.

Anyone still looking for housing, I know a 4th year who is moving out of her place in Bloomfield (about 15 min commute). I don't know anything about the place, she just asked me if I knew anyone who was looking. If you're interested pm me and I'll give you her number so you can ask about the place. :thumbup:

hey guys...

WELCOME TO NJMS!

IM a third year student who lives in the dorms. Ill be happy to answer any questions u guys mite have.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, one month. Thats so soon. I got my housing stuff, my shots/bloodwork done and signed (grrr my doctor decided to do extra random bloodwork for the hell of it as well). Yep, time to keep on relaxing.

This is another duh question, but how would you get to ny on the weekends? I know of the weekday shuttle to/from penn, is there something similar for the weekends? Maybe there's a place to park by broad st or penn? Or does driving in make sense (if you aren't drinking and are going to an area that generally has parking)?

Also, most people use rutgers gym, right? Do they take the shuttle there or drive there? How easy is it to get a spot? And if anyone has any experiences (or rumors lol) with the other gyms in the area (the y and nysc) that would be super helpful as well.

I actually went to NY yesterday, being a sunday. 2 buses (21 and 34) directly stop in front of the dorms and go straight to the Newark Penn Station. From there u can catch the PATH or NJ transit to Manhattan, Hoboken or Jersey City.

I wudnt recommend parking by Broad Street or Penn Station. If you are planning to get intoxicated, you may want to bring along someone who is not and maybe get a ride from them, thats how it worked last year.

The CHEN shuttle only runs on weekdays between UMDNJ and Rutgers. It stops directly in front of the MSB building and runs every 30 to 45 minutes until 10 PM. For the Rutgers gym, most people drive there or walk there during the day. The NYSC is directly located in front of the Penn Station, u can probably catch the shuttle for that or take a bus as described above.

I heard from a bunch of people that move in day was August 1st, but on my paper from housing it says my move in day is August 15th. Obviously I should beable to move in before orientation. is this just a generic announcement that went out to upper classmen as well?

What does everyone think of the health insurance plan that we got an e-mail about? I looked it over, and it looked pretty good to me. I was surprised, because I was thinking as students it would be very limited. Many on SDN have posted about their barely acceptable health insurance, and non-prescription drug coverage. From what I can see from what the site said, it is very comparable to what I have now. Anyone see red flags, or anything I may have missed that would make this less-than acceptable? I do have the option of COBRA-ing what I have now, but at some ridiculous cost. I'd really be happy to not have to do that!

OK. When I was trying to budget for everything for this coming year, I looked at the COA from last year that was listed on the financial aid web page. The COA according to this link for a 1st year starting in 2010 was listed at $43,983 (living on one's own). Granted, this was for last year, but I figgured it couldn't go up *that* much in 1 year, so it would be a good estimate. Here's the link:

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/07/2006_07_Professional_School_Budgets_01.pdf

Now that we got our studnet ID's and I created my intranet account at NJMS, I clicked on the COA for our class year, and the total COA is $80,000! :eek:

(To get to the page I'm talking about, log-in, and on the welcome page there is a section that says "Banner Self Service". Under that heading there is a button to click that says "Student enrollment services and financial information". When you click on that, click on the link that says "financial Aid", then click "Cost of Attendance". It will ask for which year, click 2007-2008.)

How did the COA go from $44K to $80K in one swoop? Does anyone know which figure is correct? Tuition and fees went from $27K to $35K all at once! And the Room and Board allowance went from $11K to $25K! I'm just kind of wondering which set of figgures is in the right ballpark. Would any 2nd years chime in to say what their COA was for this year (2007-08)? They can't be too different for 1st and 2nd. I also can't imagine spending $10K on books, which is what they budgeted for this year. Am I crazy?! Will we really need that many colored highlighters?!

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I think I'll call the school tomorrow to see what they have to say. I just thought people would like to know about this...

yeah unfortunately starting with the class of 2011, they said they were gonna dramatically increase the tuition and other expenses since the school has to pay back several millions of dollars back to the government due to the scandal. Thus you might need to take out extra loans or work at McDonalds part time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS: i am sure its some technical error on the banner web which should be fixed soon and you wont be charged $80,000, but more like half than that.

yeah unfortunately starting with the class of 2011, they said they were gonna dramatically increase the tuition and other expenses since the school has to pay back several millions of dollars back to the government due to the scandal. Thus you might need to take out extra loans or work at McDonalds part time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS: i am sure its some technical error on the banner web which should be fixed soon and you wont be charged $80,000, but more like half than that.

Thanks! That makes me feel a bit better. I think I'll call FA and ask what the deal is, tho. Maybe it'll help them fix whatever "error" there is! Thanks again for posting, ASDIC! You're awesome! :D

Anyone know when, where, and which textbooks to get?

Anyone know when, where, and which textbooks to get?

The advice we've been given by several upperclassmen and the admins is to wait 'till orientation, then we'll be given the booklist, as well as advice from MS2's about which books to actually buy. Some upper class people may have books for cheap that they are looking to sell.

OK. When I was trying to budget for everything for this coming year, I looked at the COA from last year that was listed on the financial aid web page. The COA according to this link for a 1st year starting in 2010 was listed at $43,983 (living on one's own). Granted, this was for last year, but I figgured it couldn't go up *that* much in 1 year, so it would be a good estimate. Here's the link:

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/07/2006_07_Professional_School_Budgets_01.pdf

Now that we got our studnet ID's and I created my intranet account at NJMS, I clicked on the COA for our class year, and the total COA is $80,000! :eek:

(To get to the page I'm talking about, log-in, and on the welcome page there is a section that says "Banner Self Service". Under that heading there is a button to click that says "Student enrollment services and financial information". When you click on that, click on the link that says "financial Aid", then click "Cost of Attendance". It will ask for which year, click 2007-2008.)

How did the COA go from $44K to $80K in one swoop? Does anyone know which figure is correct? Tuition and fees went from $27K to $35K all at once! And the Room and Board allowance went from $11K to $25K! I'm just kind of wondering which set of figgures is in the right ballpark. Would any 2nd years chime in to say what their COA was for this year (2007-08)? They can't be too different for 1st and 2nd. I also can't imagine spending $10K on books, which is what they budgeted for this year. Am I crazy?! Will we really need that many colored highlighters?!

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I think I'll call the school tomorrow to see what they have to say. I just thought people would like to know about this...

I actually went to the intranet link for "Student enrollment services and financial information" and the cost of attendance listed was $46,428.00 and tuition as $23,136.00. I'm not sure if it's been fixed since you posted though.

you will have a book panel during orientation and maybe a book sale following that. so i guess its a good idea to understand what books to get.
however just so you know, preferences for the books can be subjective. for example, someone may like a particular book and hate another and for another student it maybe the opposite.

but the downside of waiting is that if you plan to buy your books online, it can sometimes take forever for them to be delivered. last year i waited until orientation and my books didnt arrrive for 10 days and by that time TBL sessions had already begun and the first anatomy exam was in the first week of september.

and i am guessing the cost of attendance is fixed on bannerweb

man that kind of stinks that I can't get my books earlier...or look for cheap stuff. Oh well, thanks guys for the info.

Do you also know when we are supposed to get THE packet?

if I were you I wouldnt worry about all of this....enjoy your summer vacation ;)

the office of student affairs and the orientation committee will be sending out information hopefully by next week.

i called in to ask about loan amounts and they told me they updated the page today for COA. So, if you follow the link, you can see the COA for our classs, which comes to $52K

I was wondering how did some of you other first yearers get your umdnj.edu account already?

I was wondering how did some of you other first yearers get your umdnj.edu account already?

I created an account based on the info they gave us in a letter I got last week, but no mention was made of having an e-mail account or anything yet. I'm assuming that info is forthcoming?

i called in to ask about loan amounts and they told me they updated the page today for COA. So, if you follow the link, you can see the COA for our classs, which comes to $52K

Thanks osin! That seems more like it!

Who else has still not gotten their final financial aid award? I got my fall semester bill yesterday (gotta love all the random fees), but still no financial aid info.

I'm leaving for vacation in two days and I get back just a few days before orientation starts, so I'm starting to get a little worried...

Who else has still not gotten their final financial aid award? I got my fall semester bill yesterday (gotta love all the random fees), but still no financial aid info.

I'm leaving for vacation in two days and I get back just a few days before orientation starts, so I'm starting to get a little worried...

Same thing here. I called the FA office on Monday to ask about the $80K thing (posted above), and at the same time asked about the award letters. They said they are "in preparation" and should be sent out next week or the week after. Nothing like cutting it close, eh? I thought it was funny that they can't seem to get the award thing sent out, but they're Johnny-on-the-Spot with the bill! Typical school stuff, I guess. I just hope there's no surprises in store, 'cause there won't be much time to straighten things out if there are! :oops:

I created an account based on the info they gave us in a letter I got last week, but no mention was made of having an e-mail account or anything yet. I'm assuming that info is forthcoming?

when you set your account up you are given your email adress and access. Just click the email link on the my.UMDNJ page. For some reason I can't use the my.UMDNJ email link but the Alternate Access link works fine for email.

man that kind of stinks that I can't get my books earlier...or look for cheap stuff. Oh well, thanks guys for the info.

Do you also know when we are supposed to get THE packet?

if u want..you can start to get the anatomy text book.. im pretty sure its the same:

Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore- I used this ONLY for the Blue boxes ( which are clinical correlates)

The book that i actually sorta read was the condensed Moore aka Baby moore... its called essentionals of anatomy or something like that from the same author (Moore)

You will NEED grants dissector

Dont quote me on these...but im pretty sure that these are the books for anatomy.

Granted, this is not as much as a primary source as a second year, but a number of docs I talked to told me to pick up moore. I've been looking it over (esp the clinical correlates), and if you have some disposable income (not being used on alcohol) it seems like a good one to pick up.

Looking forward to seeing you all in August!

P.S. Anyone else get their roomate assignment?

Tim

I got my roommate assignment about 2-3 weeks ago in the mail, but we set it up back on housing day.

Well, it looks like I'll be at NJMS. I'm in room 1012 in West Market... if you're one of my roomates, hi! I have a bunch of questions, if you don't mind:

Do we need cars? I think we might need them for buying grocery and traveling for our preceptorships, but I'm not sure.

Do we have a decent chance at landing preceptorships on campus?

Where will we eat? I guess we'll eat breakfast in our apartments and lunch at the cafeteria (I'm assuming there is one), but where do we go for dinner? DO most students cook, or is there a decent, accessible part of Newark with restaurants?

Living off campus... there are several quiet, nice towns in Newark's vicinity, not more than 20 minutes away by car. I think it would great to live in one of them and commute to school (especially because of safety). Do many NJMS students do this? Is it possible to find NJMS classmates in those towns and commute with them to school?

At which hospitals will we be doing our rotations? There's the main one in Newark, then one in Orange and another in Hackensack, correct? Are rotations spread among the hospitals, or can I select one and complete all of my rotations there?

Do I need a Windows computer? What about a PDA? Do you recommend taking notes by hand, using the note service and reading along, or taking notes by computer?

Is class from 9 - 5 every day of the week, or do we easy days? I want to take the NJ Transit to my parents' home on the weekends. Should I expect to have the time to leave school on weekends?

Sorry if I've repeated someone else's questions. Thanks in advance.

Well, it looks like I'll be at NJMS. I'm in room 1012 in West Market... if you're one of my roomates, hi! I have a bunch of questions, if you don't mind:

Do we need cars? I think we might need them for buying grocery and traveling for our preceptorships, but I'm not sure.

Do we have a decent chance at landing preceptorships on campus?

Where will we eat? I guess we'll eat breakfast in our apartments and lunch at the cafeteria (I'm assuming there is one), but where do we go for dinner? DO most students cook, or is there a decent, accessible part of Newark with restaurants?

Living off campus... there are several quiet, nice towns in Newark's vicinity, not more than 20 minutes away by car. I think it would great to live in one of them and commute to school (especially because of safety). Do many NJMS students do this? Is it possible to find NJMS classmates in those towns and commute with them to school?

At which hospitals will we be doing our rotations? There's the main one in Newark, then one in Orange and another in Hackensack, correct? Are rotations spread among the hospitals, or can I select one and complete all of my rotations there?

Do I need a Windows computer? What about a PDA? Do you recommend taking notes by hand, using the note service and reading along, or taking notes by computer?

Is class from 9 - 5 every day of the week, or do we easy days? I want to take the NJ Transit to my parents' home on the weekends. Should I expect to have the time to leave school on weekends?

Sorry if I've repeated someone else's questions. Thanks in advance.

I'm an incoming too, so I can't answer everything but I'll do my best with what I can.

1) A 3rd year told me at housing day that a car is a very good idea. He didn't have a car, and had to do his preceptorship in Edison. Took him over an hour each way by bus, which sucked. The university is located in a pretty dangerous part of town, so a car is good to get around. There is a shuttle to the train station, but it doesn't run all night or anything. A car is a good thing.

2) Preceptorship is done by lottery, so it depends on which number you get., so you never know.

3)I will be cooking for myself, but there are places to eat near campus, though in limited variety. I hate to say this, but I don't think I will be wandering around Newark looking for places to eat at night. I know the Ironbound district has really good Portugese places, but I'm not that familiar with the city to be able to say where they are.

4) I will be living in nearby Bloomfield, and not in the dorms. From what I saw on this site many people will be living in the university run apartments or another place nearby that caters to students called University Center or something (look at previous posts to see). I got a nice 2 BR in Bloomfield for what those in the dorms are paying for living with 2 roomates. The neighborhood is nice and safe with families and trees. I did look at almost 20 places in Newark before I found my little shangra-la that were all totally abyssmal. Good luck finding something good in Newark (unless its with other students in Society Hill).

5) I don't know anything about where we'll do preceptorship.

6) I have a Mac, not a PC, and that should be fine. I'll subscribe to the scribe service. I think you should play around with whatever study techniques work for you to see how you best take notes. Everyone's different.

7) Don't know about the schedule. I'm hoping I'll figgure it out during orientation.

Welcome to school! See you in August! :)

Thanks, menaniac.

If any of you incoming students who is living/wants to live outside of Newark needs a roommate or wants to search for an apartment outside of Newark, let me know... I would really like to commute to and from school if possible. For those who believe in cooties, I'm a boy.

well, I checked the list of doctors on this year's list of preceptors. Some of those docs are WAY far from campus.

The doc I was going to ask to work with moved to an out of state practice a few months back, so looks like i'll probably be entering in that lottery with everyone else. Hope mine isn't too long of a drive.

well, I checked the list of doctors on this year's list of preceptors. Some of those docs are WAY far from campus.

The doc I was going to ask to work with moved to an out of state practice a few months back, so looks like i'll probably be entering in that lottery with everyone else. Hope mine isn't too long of a drive.

You're right. Some are quite a drive, hence the need for a car. I don't know anyone near school either, so I'll see you in the lottery too! ;)

You're right. Some are quite a drive, hence the need for a car. I don't know anyone near school either, so I'll see you in the lottery too! ;)

I know a couple second years sheduled their preceptorships for Thursday, a day they usually had no class. That way they could go home Wednesday nights and have their parents drive them to the preceptorship then back to school on Thursdays. Just a thought.

I know a couple second years sheduled their preceptorships for Thursday, a day they usually had no class. That way they could go home Wednesday nights and have their parents drive them to the preceptorship then back to school on Thursdays. Just a thought.

Do we not have class on Thursday? On a more general note, does anyone know what our schedule actually looks like? What classes are we taking? Gross is obvious, and I am assuming histology, along with the preceptorship thing. Biochem?? Anything else?? Am I just more clueless than everyone else, or do I just not know where to look? I feel like I totally am behind the 8-ball already. :(

thursday you have no classes

Aug to Dec: Anatomy, Embryology, Biochemi, Genetics and Core
Jan to March: Physiology, Histology and Core
April to May: Neuroscience, Behavioral Science and Core

;)

also orientation packets will be mailed out today

Do we not have class on Thursday? On a more general note, does anyone know what our schedule actually looks like? What classes are we taking?

on the registrars page, the schedules are posted for 1st and 2nd year. Everything is posted, from class schedules to the exact dates of tests and days off. Although it's class of 2010 schedule, the curriculum has not changed at all, so I'm assuming we basically have to shift the dates up one from last year and that's our schedule for first year.

1st Year Fall

First Year Spring

Second Year Fall

Second Year Spring

on the registrars page, the schedules are posted for 1st and 2nd year. Everything is posted, from class schedules to the exact dates of tests and days off. Although it's class of 2010 schedule, the curriculum has not changed at all, so I'm assuming we basically have to shift the dates up one from last year and that's our schedule for first year.

1st Year Fall

First Year Spring

Second Year Fall

Second Year Spring

Dude, Thanks so much for the links. Makes scheduling vacations and stuff so much better! You da man! :)

Do we not have class on Thursday? On a more general note, does anyone know what our schedule actually looks like? What classes are we taking? Gross is obvious, and I am assuming histology, along with the preceptorship thing. Biochem?? Anything else?? Am I just more clueless than everyone else, or do I just not know where to look? I feel like I totally am behind the 8-ball already. :(

thursday you have no classes

Yea, Thursdays are usually light if not free.

I have a question (might be a dumb one) for all you upper classmen out there:

is there any type of dress code or expectations when it comes to what to wear to classes?

Breaking News: there is a manhunt going on in Newark RIGHT across from UMDNJ for a guy who shot a security guard in the head. At the plaza across from the new dorms (University Plaza), so be alert if you're in the area.

it was kind of interesting to wake up this morning at 10 to the sounds of sirens of over 20 to 30 police cars....cant believe this happened directly across my window