UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmmm hydrogen 4.0 average and 39 MCAT huh? hmmm

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a revised financial aid award letter? I was told that updated letters were going to be sent out at the end of april.

No, haven't heard anything from financial aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...BA/MD program. I am sooo close to applying out, though.

WTF!
You should definitely apply out!!!!!!!!!!
Like no one who enters UMDNJ has those stats...
Wait, you're only 19?!

That by the way is not true. There are definitely 4.0s and 39 mcats here at NJMS. (Not me personally). Come on guys, LOL

Med school is med school.

That by the way is not true. There are definitely 4.0s and 39 mcats here at NJMS. (Not me personally). Come on guys, LOL

Med school is med school.

Yeah, I guess med school is med school. But, I really doubt that there are many at NJMS who came in with both a 4.0GPA and 39+ MCAT without being offered any scholarships.
It's hydrogen's decision, though.

Do any of you know how long it would take to get to the school from South Orange? Is that a feasible commute, or not?

Edit: I might as well ask this too, see if anyone else is interested. Are there any females out there that are interested in living in University Centre and are looking for a roommate? The more I look at the options the more that sounds attractive to me.

I live in south orange. It takes me about 15minutes in the morning but it really depends on traffic lights. I go under 31 traffic lights...yes i counted. South orange is a nice town, movie theater, parks etc

I live in south orange. It takes me about 15minutes in the morning but it really depends on traffic lights. I go under 31 traffic lights...yes i counted. South orange is a nice town, movie theater, parks etc
Thanks for the info, I can see how that commute would really depend on the lights!

does anyone have a sprint phone in newark. how's the service?

Anyone want to join a NJMS '11 facebook group?

Sure...but being such a luddite, I have no idea what that would entail. :p Is there already a page(or group or whatever) for our class? Or are you thinking of starting one?

I have a (rather stupid) question about financial aid. I am completely confused about some of this stuff, and I want to send them an email, but I'm not even sure where I should send it. There's a list of email addresses here, but there doesn't seem to be a general "financial aid" email. Can anyone help me out here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool, we should post what our SDN names are on the discussion board there so we can figure out who's who.

Is anyone else starting to get more excited about next year now that the school year is finishing up? I know I am!

I'm super excited, especially about the summer. :D

Anyone else going into the FIRST pre-matriculation summer program? It starts in a couple of weeks.....I can't wait, but at the same time it sucks cuz i'd have to quit my full time job and the money influx will be zero :scared:

Is there a bookstore on campus where I can get a UMDNJ sweatshirt? I wanted to get one for my dad for his birthday tomorrow, and can't figure out where to get one other than the online bookstore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a bookstore on campus where I can get a UMDNJ sweatshirt? I wanted to get one for my dad for his birthday tomorrow, and can't figure out where to get one other than the online bookstore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Im copy and pasting this from the NJMS site:

Student Affairs: Bookstore

Matthews Bookstore is the official UMDNJ vendor for textbooks. It also carries sweatshirts, greeting cards and other related items. It is located in the University Shopping Plaza, 186 W. Market St. The hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The phone number is (973) 643-5440.

For more information, visit www.umdnjbooks.com.

happy bday to ur dad hahah

Do you know when we get the booklist?

Dont purchase ANYTHING yet. We will have a meeting with all of you during orientation and we will talk to you about this. Many of us are selling our books to you very cheaply. And keep in mind, any book you could ever want is in the library.

If you want UMDNJ junk you can get it at the book store across the street. If you want NJMS stuff you have to go to the student store in the lounge in the MSB

I will be posting a booklist in the middle of summer...so keep checking

Thanks ASDIC. The sooner the better as I will be abroad for most of the second half of vacation before med. school.

Hey everyone,

My name is Katie Fane and I am a first year(soon to be second year) at NJMS and I wanted to welcome you all to our school! It sounds like you all have a lot of ?s and I would love to help any of you out! I currently live off campus but since I am on student council I can also answer ?s you have about the dorm situation. It would probably be best if you email [email protected]. Congrats to you all for making it, and I look forward to meeting you at orientation!

Katie Fane
NJMS 2010

gettin closer to the big day!! I got my parking pass for housing day in the mail today... does anyone know exactly what they are going to talk about? I have a feeling not too much new info will be shared, but who cares... Seeya all then!

I jst got my pass too! Yippee! Does anyone want to car-pool up? I'm in Princeton, and can stop anywhere along the way, I guess! Totlaay looking forward to meeting everyone...:D :D :D

I jst got my pass too! Yippee! Does anyone want to car-pool up? I'm in Princeton, and can stop anywhere along the way, I guess! Totlaay looking forward to meeting everyone...:D :D :D

Maybe I'll take that carpool offer -- I'll pm you closer to the date.
Looking forward to meeting you guys there.

Maybe I'll take that carpool offer -- I'll pm you closer to the date.
Looking forward to meeting you guys there.
Maybe we can all carpool together - I live just outside of Princeton :)

Sounds good guys. PM me next week or the week after and we'll set it up. It'll be fun! :)

im still on waitlist :( but i was just wondering if there is anyone from OOS who will be at NJMS this year. how hard is it to get NJ residency before matriculation? it will be very difficult but i hope that i can join you guys this fall.

yeah...i called up the financial aid people..they were mad shaddy about the specific dates for sending out the revised financial aid letter...

I talked to the FA people about 3 weeks ago, and they weren't terribly specific about the date, but they did say that they would be sent in "early June", whatever that means. I'm not expecting mine 'till around the 15th. Then again, everything seems to come out late from their offices there, so who knows what's gonna happen...

Does anyone know if we need to send in a final transcript of our grades to NJMS?

are there any roommate forums for NJMS CALSS OF 2011???

heya! just thought I'd drop a line....looking for a rommie as well....is there a forum for that??

No forum that I've found, and believe me, I've been looking!:) PM me to chat, and we'll see if we are compatable if you want...

There is also going to be a housing day on June 1st, which I'll be going to. If you'll be there maybe we'll meet...

Wow, this thread has fallen far. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys on Friday!

I've got a few questions for current NJMS students, if some of you would be willing to answer any (or all) of them that would be much appreciated!

1) Laptops. Do we need any specific type, or are there any specs they need to have? My laptop from undergrad is still running pretty well, so I'm debating just keeping that, but if I'm going to get a new one I'd like to get that done this summer.

2) Banks/ATM's. Which ones are the closest and most convenient to campus? I'd rather not pay withdrawl fees every time I need to go get cash.

3) I think someone asked about this earlier, but are there any cell phone services that don't have good service? I've currently got Cingular.

As you might be able to tell, I'm trying to get all my affairs straightened out this summer :D

This might seem really arbitrary...but what is the dress code for the Luncheon on June 1st?? (Coming straight from a meeting, so would be nice to know if I have to change on the train!:scared:)

This might seem really arbitrary...but what is the dress code for the Luncheon on June 1st?? (Coming straight from a meeting, so would be nice to know if I have to change on the train!:scared:)

The last "meet and greet" type meeting up there in January was suggested "business casual" (whatever that means!). That being said, there were people dressed in everything from Brooks Brothers-type suits to a couple of guys in jeans. Both extremes tended to stand out a bit, but no-one seemed to care either way. I was just wondering the answer to this very question this evening myself. I guess I'll just see what the weather is like and dress comfortably for it. Skirt & shirt with sandals most likely...

The appropriate dress questions are always the hardest for me. I'm usually either too dressy or not dressy enough. A pox on you, Business casual!:)

I'll probably also wear a skirt, sandals, and top. Nothing too formal, maybe something nice and summery. I hate dress pants.

Wow, this thread has fallen far. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys on Friday!

I've got a few questions for current NJMS students, if some of you would be willing to answer any (or all) of them that would be much appreciated!

1) Laptops. Do we need any specific type, or are there any specs they need to have? My laptop from undergrad is still running pretty well, so I'm debating just keeping that, but if I'm going to get a new one I'd like to get that done this summer.

2) Banks/ATM's. Which ones are the closest and most convenient to campus? I'd rather not pay withdrawl fees every time I need to go get cash.

3) I think someone asked about this earlier, but are there any cell phone services that don't have good service? I've currently got Cingular.

As you might be able to tell, I'm trying to get all my affairs straightened out this summer :D

1- if the laptop you have now isnt giving you any problems I dont see any reason to get a new one. You will use it for histo but as long as you have enough ram and free space there shouldnt be any problems.

2- I think the atm on campus is bank of america. Not sure about actual banks in the area, maybe someone else can help out with that.

3- I am not sure about which ones dont have good service but I use verizon and I have never had any problems.

Hey guys,

I know someone mentioned something about our University ID #, and how we find out about it. I guess you can call and find out, but that seems kind of strange - one would think they'd just send it to you in one of the letters. Anyway, are we supposed to have access to the NJMS intranet, ie, does anyone have an NJMS email address already? Anyone know how that works?

I've been MIA because of vacation, but as a quick update about housing, I'll be at University Centre! If anyone has questions about it, just let me know.

haha...I second that pox! And still no idea on what I'm wearing... I might just wear a nice summer-y dress....yes..that's what I'll do!

Cheers for the help ladies :thumbup:

I feel like a freaking human pincushion. Just got back from the doctor after getting a tetanus booster, PPD test placed, and a bunch of blood drawn for the Hep B stuff (the lab had better do the right tests!). Ugh.

Hey guys,

I know someone mentioned something about our University ID #, and how we find out about it. I guess you can call and find out, but that seems kind of strange - one would think they'd just send it to you in one of the letters. Anyway, are we supposed to have access to the NJMS intranet, ie, does anyone have an NJMS email address already? Anyone know how that works?
I called admissions and they gave it to me - I agree, it seems very weird. I'd also be interested to know about our NJMS emails, I haven't heard anything yet.

I feel like a freaking human pincushion. Just got back from the doctor after getting a tetanus booster, PPD test placed, and a bunch of blood drawn for the Hep B stuff (the lab had better do the right tests!). Ugh.

I called admissions and they gave it to me - I agree, it seems very weird. I'd also be interested to know about our NJMS emails, I haven't heard anything yet.

Bummer about all the shots! I had the same experience in April, and it wasn't fun! :oops: My doctor actually forgot the whole page of hep-B antigen stuff, so I had to go back a second time last week to have them draw blood for all of that. Now they want me to pay them a dollar to have them photocopy the results so I can send it in with my packet. I told them I didn't think it was really fair that I was being charged a buck because he didn't fill out the paperwork properly! They're waiving the fee, but the office manager now has a big new attitude toward me. I guess I just don't play well with others. :cool: Anyway, I hope you feel better soon! The tetnus really hit me the next day...youch...

Bummer about all the shots! I had the same experience in April, and it wasn't fun! :oops: My doctor actually forgot the whole page of hep-B antigen stuff, so I had to go back a second time last week to have them draw blood for all of that. Now they want me to pay them a dollar to have them photocopy the results so I can send it in with my packet. I told them I didn't think it was really fair that I was being charged a buck because he didn't fill out the paperwork properly! They're waiving the fee, but the office manager now has a big new attitude toward me. I guess I just don't play well with others. :cool: Anyway, I hope you feel better soon! The tetnus really hit me the next day...youch...
Great :rolleyes:

It burned for a little while afterward, but I guess I have something to look forward to tomorrow.

1- if the laptop you have now isnt giving you any problems I dont see any reason to get a new one. You will use it for histo but as long as you have enough ram and free space there shouldnt be any problems.

2- I think the atm on campus is bank of america. Not sure about actual banks in the area, maybe someone else can help out with that.

3- I am not sure about which ones dont have good service but I use verizon and I have never had any problems.

Geez, are they telling 2011 to buy laptops?
2012 is gonna have to supply their own projectors...

The campus atms ARE Bank of America, as is the nearest bank branch (accross the street).

I have Sprint, it works well enough. There's parts of the building that seems to be dead spots, but I think all the cellular companies have the same problem.

Welcome to Beautiful Newark!

So, who showed up today?

I was the guy way over-dressed, and slightly over-heated in a white striped shirt and black pants. Had to ditch the tours, anyone find anything interesting about university centre or the other off campus housing?

I was there! And I met hydrogen3k. I was the girl in a dark teal skirt and black sleeveless top (and blonde hair).

We checked out a place in Society Hill, the on-campus apartments, and the apartments at University Center. Right now I am seriously leaning towards living at University Center, it was really nice and having the gym right there is just so convenient.