UMDNJ - NJMS class of 2011!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
only 4 and a half months till orientation!!! Crazy stuff... I'm just hoping I'll get my research done early so i can at least have a month off before med school begins!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

only 4 and a half months till orientation!!! Crazy stuff... I'm just hoping I'll get my research done early so i can at least have a month off before med school begins!!!!!!
I know its nuts! I hear you about getting some time off before school starts. I'll be leaving work either the last week of June or first week of July - 3.5 months for me! I need a break....

I have some questions regarding the NJMS financial aid forms that we have to fill out on-line. I've already done my FASFA, and it has calculated my "expected family contribution". The two questions I have are: 1) on the question where it asks how much you'd like to borrow, can you put the total cost of attendance, expecting that the financial aid office will subtract that out, or do you put total cost of attendance minus your EFC? 2) Does anyone actually say they want work/study in med school? Is there even time to do that? Sorry for these basic/lame questions...any help/illumination of the financial aid process would be much appreciated!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know its nuts! I hear you about getting some time off before school starts. I'll be leaving work either the last week of June or first week of July - 3.5 months for me! I need a break....
I'll probably work 'till the middle of July. ACK! I really need a vacation! I hope 3 weeks to move and get myself together will be enough!

I have not heard any information about the second look weekend for the class of 2011 @ NJMS, does any one have any information on it?

I have not heard any information about the second look weekend for the class of 2011 @ NJMS, does any one have any information on it?

is that for students that have not already accepted their admission offer? I never heard of that before

I mean I know other schools offer a second look weekend. A time when students who are in between school and students who already have decided where they are going to go all meet at the school. Its supposed be a time for everyone to get to know each other before the school year starts.

From your response im guessing that NJMS offers no such program, i guess it was only for the parents

I mean I know other schools offer a second look weekend. A time when students who are in between school and students who already have decided where they are going to go all meet at the school. Its supposed be a time for everyone to get to know each other before the school year starts.

From your response im guessing that NJMS offers no such program, i guess it was only for the parents

I think RWJ has one; never heard of anything like that from NJMS.

Can someone post the 2007 match for NJMS?

question..

did anyone interview on or around jan. 31st and get in already? REPLY PLS! thanks =)

Orientation is usually like a week before the first day of classes, so I would like to assume that 9th is first day of orientation, otherwise that means that our 4 years of misery will begin much earlier than that like the first few days of August :eek: ....and I'm not ready for that yet...that's waay to early..As excited as I am to begin school I am equally as scared

Members don't see this ad :)
The white coat ceromony is on the August 14th, right?
Also, has anyone heard anything from finaid?

The white coat ceromony is on the August 14th, right?
Also, has anyone heard anything from finaid?

White coat ceremony 8/14, at the end of orientation (or so they told us in January).

Financial aid just said..."Get your stuff in ASAP". I had a question for them, and was told to e-mail a certain financial aid counsellor. She still hasn't gotten back to me 5 days later. I guess they're in no hurry, but we should be?...I don't know what to say about that.

White coat ceremony 8/14, at the end of orientation (or so they told us in January).

Financial aid just said..."Get your stuff in ASAP". I had a question for them, and was told to e-mail a certain financial aid counsellor. She still hasn't gotten back to me 5 days later. I guess they're in no hurry, but we should be?...I don't know what to say about that.

Thanks! I have the same unbalanced communications problems with NJMS. They really need to speed up response time -- even a message declaring receipt of the email would be good....

Does anyone know if there are any more planned get togethers coming up to get to know possible roomates or just to offer more information?

Does anyone know if there are any more planned get togethers coming up to get to know possible roomates or just to offer more information?

I haven't heard of any, but I have to call the school to ask about the question I e-mailed about 9 days ago, so I'll ask about housing day info when I do that. If they have anything constructive to say, I'll post. I'm also looking to live off campus, hopefully with a roomate, so that kind of match-up day would be really great for me. Wish me luck in dealing with the financial aid people...I think I'll need it...:D

I called financial aid and they said that they haven't even started to look at calculating award money, etc. Their budget is not finished yet, so I guess we'll have to wait until things over there get sorted out.

OK. I just talked to someone in the admissions office, and she said that there will be a housing day on Friday June 1st at NJMS (she thinks in the grand foyer). There will be representitives from the university housing there, as well as students looking for roomates, and students looking for someone to take the lease on their apartments when they leave. Anyone from Central Jersey thinking of going? Maybe we can carpool or ride the train together...

OK. I just talked to someone in the admissions office, and she said that there will be a housing day on Friday June 1st at NJMS (she thinks in the grand foyer). There will be representitives from the university housing there, as well as students looking for roomates, and students looking for someone to take the lease on their apartments when they leave. Anyone from Central Jersey thinking of going? Maybe we can carpool or ride the train together...

I probably will go (but that will mean I have to cut short the ASM conference in Toronto). Menaniac, I'm from Highland Park and will probably be taking the train -- I'll contact you closer to the date if you want to go together. By the way, where in NJ are you from?

I'm also looking to live off campus, hopefully with a roomate, so that kind of match-up day would be really great for me. =

given any thought as to exactly where you want to live? Staying in newark or surrounding burbs?

I probably will go (but that will mean I have to cut short the ASM conference in Toronto). Menaniac, I'm from Highland Park and will probably be taking the train -- I'll contact you closer to the date if you want to go together. By the way, where in NJ are you from?

I'm currently in Princeton. Going together would be cool...let's talk a little closer to the date and figgure something out.

given any thought as to exactly where you want to live? Staying in newark or surrounding burbs?

I'm not that fussy about specific location. I wouldn't want to commute more than 15 or 20 minutes, tho. As long as the apt. is quiet, and condusive to massive study I'll be OK. Oh yeah...having a safe enough neighborhood where I can expect to find my car where I left it the night before (ie. not stolen) and where I don't have to worry about being attacked going from the car to my door would also be a nice bonus. That being said, I'm pretty open to just about anything.:)

Has anyone received any notification about scholarship offers? I'm wondering if they've made any initial offers.

Dr. H offered me one when I was given my acceptance call in October.

Gotta get this thread back into the mix!

Back in the mix it is! I just got my first round of shots at the doctors yesterday. Yuck-o! Both arms (Tetnus and Hep-B), and they haven't even taken the 15 or so vaccutainers of blood they'll need to test for immunity for everything else! I have a feeling we'll be safe from everything when this is over! ;) Hope everyone else's pre-med prep is going well...:D

Back in the mix it is! I just got my first round of shots at the doctors yesterday. Yuck-o! Both arms (Tetnus and Hep-B), and they haven't even taken the 15 or so vaccutainers of blood they'll need to test for immunity for everything else! I have a feeling we'll be safe from everything when this is over! ;) Hope everyone else's pre-med prep is going well...:D

Good idea, I think I'm going to get them done real soon. Is it possible to get these too early before matriculation? Or is it fine to start getting all of them now?

Good idea, I think I'm going to get them done real soon. Is it possible to get these too early before matriculation? Or is it fine to start getting all of them now?

You should think about doing them really soon. Hep B is a series of 3 shots given once, then 1 month later then 6 months after that. You need to have at least 2 of the 3 prior to matricualtion. Need to be up to date for Tetnus (I wasn't because I've been putting it off for years. I remember how much the sucker hurt, and I was right! Today couldn't lift my arm above my waist). Also you need 2 subcutaneous TB tests done 2-3 weeks apart, and blood tests showing immunity to mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox, or proof of immunization for them following some guidelines that they specify. There was a packet sent out by the health services people a couple of weeks ago that tells ya all about it. Your doctor has to fill out a bunch of stuff too in the packet.

I just got a bunch of my stuff done too, Tetanus booster, meningitis vacc, varicella titer and Hep B titer... HOWEVER, the ******* people down at my doctor's office didn't do all of the different Hep B tests that are required even though I told them 3 separate times that they were all needed... I have a PPD on record from a few months back so I only need to get another one within 3 months of matriculation and now I need to get my blood tested again... bunch of bs... and i seriously got the most thorough physical ever done... my doctor said some of teh things that were required for the physical she hadn't done since school

i've just started goin through all that vaccination stuff. It looks like it'll take some time to get all the work done so yea getting started soon looks like a good idea. With the exception of the PPD, i think everything else can be started right away.

what does it mean when surgery or medicine is followed by -Preliminary? Is that like an intern year?

If anyone is interested, there is a symposium at NJMS May 13-15th

"Neuroprotection and Neurorepair: From Pharmacology to Stem Cells"

Repair of the CNS has always been an interest of mine so I'm definitely going to check it out. I just happen to have off that week anyways. You can check out the website for details. There are a bunch off physicians/scientists from NJMS and all over the country presenting their research.

http://njms.umdnj.edu/research/symposium/index.cfm?CFID=1800948&CFTOKEN=32788776&jsessionid=1a30884856ca$3F$3F$1

Just received the 2007 Match (and figured out how to use google webpage designer)
http://med.h3k.googlepages.com/

Wow! I kept checking for this the past week and couldn't find it anywhere - good look!

Its pretty amazing how many people land residencies at NJMS itself; that retention does say a lot about the quality of education, and how well the students view the programs at the school/hospital.

Repair of the CNS has always been an interest of mine so I'm definitely going to check it out. I just happen to have off that week anyways. You can check out the website for details. There are a bunch off physicians/scientists from NJMS and all over the country presenting their research.

http://njms.umdnj.edu/research/symp...OKEN=32788776&jsessionid=1a30884856ca$3F$3F$1

This sounds really interesting! I'll check out the web-site, and if time permits I'll try really hard to make it. I'm excited to start seeing research that is more clinically relevent than the research I'm used to doing. Basic research is important, but doesn't jazz me as much as more applied stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

http://njms.umdnj.edu/research/symposium/index.cfm?CFID=1800948&CFTOKEN=32788776&jsessionid=1a30884856ca$3F$3F$1

Sounds cool; maybe I'll stop by. I've updated the site with additional matches for all those interested:
http://med.h3k.googlepages.com
Also, has anyone received award letters from financial aid?

Wow, all this vaccination stuff makes my head spin.

When is all this vaccination/physical information due? Does anyone know? I'm at school until mid-May, and I'd prefer to get all this stuff done at my family physician, rather than at our student health center. Assuming I've already had the hep B vaccine, I should be able to wait on the rest of this stuff, right?

Ugh.

Another question - does anybody know when we have to submit a housing request form by if we want to live on campus?

I'm torn between living in the dorms and living off campus, since one of my close friends will be living up in North Jersey and is looking for a roommate. But since she'll have an actual job and free evenings I'm afraid I'll be distracted (if anyone has any advice/input on my dilemma, I'd love to hear it!).

dont live in the dorms....im there now i definitely would not recommend it to anyone. its overpriced and the management is terrible. i would definitely recommend society hill if you wanted to be near the school.

Wow, all this vaccination stuff makes my head spin.

When is all this vaccination/physical information due? Does anyone know? I'm at school until mid-May, and I'd prefer to get all this stuff done at my family physician, rather than at our student health center. Assuming I've already had the hep B vaccine, I should be able to wait on the rest of this stuff, right?

Ugh.

The PPD youll have to get needs to be done within 3 months of matriculation (after may 9th) so nobody can finish till then anyway. So waiting till you get home will not be a problem.

dont live in the dorms....im there now i definitely would not recommend it to anyone. its overpriced and the management is terrible. i would definitely recommend society hill if you wanted to be near the school.

thanks for the info... I know it definitely is pricey, since I dont pay as much for my apt in the heart of Boston. Most people I spoke with living there now seemed to like it still tho. I may still give it a chance, for the first year at least, just for the sake of convenience.

That symposium looks really really good. I may have to go to that.

Housing- I have nooo idea what to do. I really want to live on campus because I'm a pretty shy person so I'm afraid I wont get to know anyone unless I have to, but I feel guilty paying so much money for it. My two best friends in the whole wide world are gonna live in jersey city (and be working) and they want me in on it but I'm afraid I'll be too distracted. I could always just spend weekends there. And finally, the dreaded living at home. I would save over 10,000 a year doing this, all food/laundry/gym/etc would be covered, my mommy would clean my room and pack me lunch lol (she has empty nest hardcore), but yeah, she's also kind of really overbearing. Hence my shyness, I suppose. The commute from my house is more or less half an hour, and my mom works in newark as well so if I'm too tired to drive one morning she could drop me off and stuff. But, I'm obviously afraid of being isolated if I do this. So, yeahhh. I dont know.

That symposium looks really really good. I may have to go to that.

Housing- I have nooo idea what to do. I really want to live on campus because I'm a pretty shy person so I'm afraid I wont get to know anyone unless I have to, but I feel guilty paying so much money for it. My two best friends in the whole wide world are gonna live in jersey city (and be working) and they want me in on it but I'm afraid I'll be too distracted. I could always just spend weekends there. And finally, the dreaded living at home. I would save over 10,000 a year doing this, all food/laundry/gym/etc would be covered, my mommy would clean my room and pack me lunch lol (she has empty nest hardcore), but yeah, she's also kind of really overbearing. Hence my shyness, I suppose. The commute from my house is more or less half an hour, and my mom works in newark as well so if I'm too tired to drive one morning she could drop me off and stuff. But, I'm obviously afraid of being isolated if I do this. So, yeahhh. I dont know.

I could easily commute as well... but honestly medical school requires many many many late nights of studying and stuff, including group sessions (very helpful), and my parents are 100% for me going to med school but when they have 0% respect for my sleep/rest time.

In undergrad I commuted and I would sometimes be up till 5 cramming and getting like 2-3 hours of sleep and driving to school... and my parents would friggin wake me up an hour before I planned (knowing what my schedule was) to do bs like take the garbage out or pull the cars out... Just thinking about it gets me furious... I have some of the most supportive parents in the world (emotionally and financially), but living at home during school, let alone medical school, is definitely not doable for me. Everyone's situation is different tho.

I could easily commute as well... but honestly medical school requires many many many late nights of studying and stuff, including group sessions (very helpful), and my parents are 100% for me going to med school but when they have 0% respect for my sleep/rest time.

In undergrad I commuted and I would sometimes be up till 5 cramming and getting like 2-3 hours of sleep and driving to school... and my parents would friggin wake me up an hour before I planned (knowing what my schedule was) to do bs like take the garbage out or pull the cars out... Just thinking about it gets me furious... I have some of the most supportive parents in the world (emotionally and financially), but living at home during school, let alone medical school, is definitely not doable for me. Everyone's situation is different tho.

I hear this loud and clear. I had to take a few classes over the summer for ugrad and living at home was ok, but Im not convinced that it will be the best setup for the intense medschool experience.

Another question... I heard rumors that the parking situation is far better than it was in the past. Does anyone have any idea about that?

When I was a first year, if you got here after 9 am, you would not be able to park. Nightmare!

Now since the past summer when they finished up the new parking deck by the hospital (all the docs park there), there is always parking! It's great.

Ha, true. I go to college 6 hrs away and spent last summer there, so I basically just forgot the real aspects of living at home.
I'm leaning more towards living with high school friends. I think it will reduce the stress of adjusting and be way better to not be thinking med school 24/7. Thanks