UIC vs Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to ask everyone to bear with me. This topic is posted every couple years and I've read the previous threads, but there are always fresh voices, and opinions of original posters might change over time....so thank you in advance for your tolerance!

I'm trying to decide between UIC and Rosalind Franklin and am really agonizing over the decision.

UIC cons: UIC was top pic from the beginning but I left the interview (Peoria campus) with a poor impression. The students just seemed so unhappy to be there; the only time one of them perked up was when she was talking about what college she went to. The interview was also lackluster; the interviewers seemed bored by me and I was shocked to have been accepted. I was also placed on the Rockford campus. Rockford is out of the question for my husband (I could still go myself and come home weekends) and I petitioned to have it changed but will not hear back until after May 15. Also in second round of interviews for UMed so I don't even know what campus I'd be on. Communication from the school has been lacking compared to every other school I've considered. I don't feel it's been a welcoming or organized process. Don't want academic experience to be more of the same.

UIC pros: Well established solid school choice. Least expensive.

RFUMS cons: Unranked and has had fiscal problems in the past. Unclear to me how highly regarded by medical community; I know people like to bash it. More expensive, although not by much when UIC's more expensive MS2 and 3 years are accounted for.

RFUMS pros: Great interview day, friendly, happy students. Great communication from the school. I feel like the administration has been very supportive of prospective students and I have as clear as possible an idea of what to expect going in. Well organized, warm environment. They gave us most recent match list on interview day-wow. 4 derm 2 neorosurg. a small fleet of anesthesiology. Just feels approachable to me.

So, what are some outside opionions? I'd especially value hearing from current students at either school. Is UIC as impersonal as I'm making it out to be and is RFUMS that warm and fuzzy (for a med school...) I care about warm and fuzzy by the way. Never went to big state school before and had lots of administrative hand holding thoughout my education. I fear I'd slip through the cracks at UIC.

I'm interested in hearing about tangibles, like how do their step scores and match list compare and intangibles, like student morale. Also, what kind of academic support does UIC offer (I know RFUMS has tutoring program if needed)

Thank you very very much for plowing through this long message and for all of your responses!

Edit: Just heard that was accepted to urban medicine at UIC so could be on Chicago campus and new interesting twist to what I could do there. Any more advice, any takers? I still feel just as conflicted...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dont worry about ranking. Pick the school you think you will be most happy at and fits your situation the best. You will get a good education at either school and assuming you do well, will be able to go to a good residency.

I will be starting in the Fall at RFUMS.

Interview day went very well for me there, and I feel like the faculty and staff do care about the student, a small and initimate community. When I have a question, someone always answered it promptly through email or phone call. The campus and student body just seems chill and easy-going.

solely my impression, hope to see you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thank you for your responses! I know it should be an easy decision-just go where you feel the fit is right-thanks for the wisdom reddoc. Alphasyn, congrats on making a decision-we'll both be in Chicagoish area next year-maybe as classmates!

Just edited bc found out I'd be on Chicago campus for urban medicine. Arg, what to do???

I have a friend that goes to Rosalind Franklin and is currently an M2. While I don't have any specific stats on hand, he has told me that students generally perform above average on the boards. They have also consistently exceeded those of similar tier Chicagoland medical schools. This of course means that getting a desired residency will be more likely. I'm not sure if this is because the curriculum is geared towards teaching the exam itself, or if the school just has better methods of instruction.

Moreover, he has told me that the quality of student life there is very positive. It is still medical school, so there are undoubtedly going to be some rough times and sacrifices ahead. That being said, a smaller, tight-knit group of students would probably be more favorable than a larger institution that kinda just scoots students along.

Just know that ranking does not mean much as a medical school, is a medical school, is a medical school. You're gonna get a great education anywhere you choose, and if you're gut is making you lean one way or the other than go with that. Good luck with your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.