UCLA Thread... part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dat_student said:
McShow2,
Is "principle rate reduction" the same as "interest rate reduction?" I thought B of A reduces your "principal loan amount" without reducing your interest rate (i.e. 1% of your principle after yr #1; 1% after 2nd yr, and 1% after 3rd yr).

Shoot, I have no idea. I just assumed they were both talking about reducing the same rate. I wanna figure all this out!!! AHHHHH!

Edit: Just re-looked at it, and you were right. BofA reduces your principal ammount by up to 3%. K, new question, so which is better in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

When are we supposed to find out how much $$$ we were awarded in federal grants and loans? Has anybody found out yet? I keep checking on URSA, but it just says no awards yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
DentistDevilDog said:
I just checked there too, but I had no luck. Maybe you submitted your fafsa before me.

I was too worried. So I sent everything soon. I think they had all my documents (tax forms, FAFSA, ACCESS, etc etc etc) back in March.

mcshow2 said:
Edit: Just re-looked at it, and you were right. BofA reduces your principal ammount by up to 3%. K, new question, so which is better in the long run?

I am not sure which is better. I think in the long run CHELA is better. I am not 100% sure. In the short run, AMS seems to be better than B of A. If you want to be 100% sure call B of A to see what they really mean by "principal rate reduction"

I just found out that I haven't applied for financial aid yet!!! I made enough money this summer so all I will need for the first year is stafford loans. So all
I did was the FAFSA because I thought thats all I needed to do.. I just called the fin. aid office and he told me I haven't applied yet, and I have to do all of UCLA's forms as well. I totally dropped the ball on this one. I might have to rely on the mercy of one of you guys so I don't starve to death. SHIZ!!!

I just found out that I haven't applied for financial aid yet!!! I made enough money this summer so all I will need for the first year is stafford loans. So all
I did was the FAFSA because I thought thats all I needed to do.. I just called the fin. aid office and he told me I haven't applied yet, and I have to do all of UCLA's forms as well. I totally dropped the ball on this one. I might have to rely on the mercy of one of you guys so I don't starve to death. SHIZ!!!

oUcHhh...you must be very worried. But how much do you have given to you "so far" -- how much more do you need? I'm so sorry, bUt...hopefully something good will happen...like like...a miracLe :).

---> anyone have a HUGE chunk of balance (for Fall fees) due this end of AuGust? (or we can wait til end of Sept to pay it)?

...i got my ucla email account tOo!!! =D :thumbup:

---> anyone have a HUGE chunk of balance (for Fall fees) due this end of AuGust? (or we can wait til end of Sept to pay it)?

I can't log into "URSA Online" anymore :mad:

...i got my ucla email account tOo!!! =D :thumbup:

outlook, eudora, and other email programs don't seem to be able to connect to this POP address: mail.ucla.edu :confused: :confused: :confused:

I can't log into "URSA Online" anymore :mad:

outlook, eudora, and other email programs don't seem to be able to connect to this POP address: mail.ucla.edu :confused: :confused: :confused:

I just logged into "URSA Online." It shows both "Amount Due" & "Aid Available to Pay Fees." "Maximum Credit Card Payment Allowed" is NOT equal to "Amount Due" I guess we only need to worry about the amnt that "financial aid" doesn't cover

There's a website that has instructions for configuring each of those programs to download your UCLA email. Some of the advanced settings needed to be altered in my Outlook before I could get it to work. http://www.bol.ucla.edu/services/email/pop/

Don't feel too bad. UCLA never received my fafsa so my Fin aid is delayed too. I'm sure as long as you get the forms in you'll be fine. We still have till sept 20. to pay that forst balance off.

QUOTE]

it's always due the 20th of the month after the charges were posted. (ie anything posted in Aug is due sept 20)

Members don't see this ad :)
QUOTE]

it's always due the 20th of the month after the charges were posted. (ie anything posted in Aug is due sept 20)

Good to know. Hey Allison, it's Dan:)

Hi everyone,
Sorry to make a post that's unrelated to the current discussion, but I thought you veterans of the applications process would know about this.
I'm just wondering-- how soon after receiving the yellow postcard (inviting you to submit secondaries) did you turn in your secondary app.? I received my postcard over a week ago (8/17) but still have not submitted it. Also, after submitting the secondary, how long did it take them to invite you for an interview?
Any input you have would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance! ;)

Why are you waiting so long? Heh. Turn it in as soon as you can so you can get an early interview date.

When I applied, I think it took them a little over two and a half weeks to invite me for an interview.

...how soon after receiving the yellow postcard (inviting you to submit secondaries) did you turn in your secondary app.?...

The next morning, my secondary application was in the student affairs office. :)

...I received my postcard over a week ago (8/17) but still have not submitted it...

Submit ASAP. The sooner the better

Also, after submitting the secondary, how long did it take them to invite you for an interview?

I think one week.

I received the yellow card after the 1st day of classes (i.e. after Sept 26, 2005). I think I received my interview invitation via an email msg sometime in October and my interview was on Saturday Nov 5th.

Breakdown of my entire interview day:

Dr Bibbs, Dr. Sanders, etc told us a little about UCLA SOD & success of current and past students. They gave us some stats too.

Student Presentations (I loved the presentations, esp. Jossein Shahangian's presentation :) )

wrote a short essay

Pizza and a small gathering (Gave us a very good opportunity to ask questions)

10 min interview [1:1, open file, 1-2 question(s)]

Tour [Every two students had a tour guide] - I loved it. Again, it gave us another opportunity to ask questions

Gown etc measurements

Hi everyone,
I received my postcard over a week ago (8/17);)

I'm not saying you should procrastinate, but in my opinion because you have a secondary request so early, you are a shoe-in. You should be getting an interview invite pretty soon and we'll be seeing you next year for sure. Unless of course, you are really weird and bomb your interview.

I'm not saying you should procrastinate, but in my opinion because you have a secondary request so early, you are a shoe-in.

I don't know about that... I got sooo many secondaries SOO early and then never heard a word back from the schools... i.e. Creighton, UWash, Marquette.

Still, I think the name of this game is do everything ASAP!!!

I'm not saying you should procrastinate, but in my opinion because you have a secondary request so early, you are a shoe-in. You should be getting an interview invite pretty soon and we'll be seeing you next year for sure. Unless of course, you are really weird and bomb your interview.

Haha, I'll do my best not to bomb the interview though it'll be hard. ;) Thanks to you guys, I'm getting my ass in gear now-- think I was procrastinating before because I was getting burnt-out. :(
Thanks again for your input!

I don't know about that... I got sooo many secondaries SOO early and then never heard a word back from the schools... i.e. Creighton, UWash, Marquette.

I think every school does things differently. Some schools send secondary invites to everyone, like Temple, and some only send to those who they are seriously considering. When I was at UCLA for my interview a faculty member passed me in the hall and struck up a conversation. He told me to relax and that I was there because the school only interviews those candidates they are seriously considering. So I think hes got a very good shot by getting the secondary so early.

Maybe it was a reflection on my competitiveness, but I didn't get the yellow postcard until December, and was interviewed in January.

You're absolutely right-- don't know why I asked such a stupid question to begin with. :confused: With rolling admissions you MUST do everything asap. Guess I just wanted to see how many people out there lagged like I did and still got in. I should have known that those people would obviously not be on SDN.

Anyway, thx for your input!

Hey, are weyburn people GUARANTEED parking??? Like is there a chance I drive my car down from portland oregon and they say, "sorry, we are full?"

I think if that happened, I'd quit on the spot.

Hey, are weyburn people GUARANTEED parking??? Like is there a chance I drive my car down from portland oregon and they say, "sorry, we are full?"

I don't think that residents get guaranteed parking. I remember the lady telling me that "they try their best to accomodate all of the residents." I took this to mean that it's not guaranteed.

yes, we are guaranteed parking, but you should have already gotten an e-mail about it. The e-mail was just a link that asked us whether we would want parking upon check-in... click "yes" or "no." If you haven't gotten it then you should call. If you did get it, and you clicked yes, then no worries.

and for all the secondary discussion-- i think they send that to about everyone. my yellow postcard advised me to send the secondary within 2 weeks of getting the postcard. i think i took a little longer than 2 weeks to send it in because i had to go back to my high school to get the high school transcripts. so... just follow directions. but, don't think that getting a secondary makes you much more likely to be accepted.

anyone else moving in Weyburn on Sept 15? I think it sucks moving in so late, want to know if there's anyone else...

oh yeah and for the white coat cerimony.

"nice casual"
I'm curious to hear your interpretations.:)

oh yeah and for the white coat cerimony.

"nice casual"
I'm curious to hear your interpretations.:)

Moving in September 1st, if anyone is there already please contact me so we can meet up!

Nice casual is super vague, but I'm going to wear dress shoes dress pants dress shirt and a tie.

QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. =) It definitely made me smiLe a bit eAsiEr. ^_^ I'm sure by SepT 20th, i'd already start to be "rich in debt" :oops: heheh.

"nice casual"? -- i'll just wear what i think is NiCe and cAuSaL and i'll blame it on the vagueness of their requirements ;) j/k j/k...gosh...where's my interview suit. :p

Nice casual is super vague, but I'm going to wear dress shoes dress pants dress shirt and a tie.

Shoot... a tie!?!?!? Isn't that considered semi formal...? I don't know, i was plannin on wearin some boat shoes, some khakis and a polo or something... but if people are wearing ties, I don't want to be the slap not wearing one!

What are other people wearin?

so i just found out i can't do laundry until i get my bruincard... AHHHHHHHHH

Ok I have a question about the financial aid process that I hope some of you can help me out with. I was reading the previous posts about the process, and all of those terms just confused me like crazy. On URSA, I clicked the financial aid summarys and awards link and it shows me the awards I will be receiving for the upcoming 2006-2007 school year. What am I supposed to do next? I read about you guys receiving and accepting an eFAN and all these other things, and I feel pretty lost. Can anyone help out? Thanks!

Ok I have a question about the financial aid process that I hope some of you can help me out with. I was reading the previous posts about the process, and all of those terms just confused me like crazy. On URSA, I clicked the financial aid summarys and awards link and it shows me the awards I will be receiving for the upcoming 2006-2007 school year. What am I supposed to do next? I read about you guys receiving and accepting an eFAN and all these other things, and I feel pretty lost. Can anyone help out? Thanks!

Now you have to go to your financial aid account and accept the $$$.

here is the link:

https://www.fao.ucla.edu/myfao/

oh, and you have to pick a lender.

Shoot... a tie!?!?!? Isn't that considered semi formal...? I don't know, i was plannin on wearin some boat shoes, some khakis and a polo or something... but if people are wearing ties, I don't want to be the slap not wearing one!

I was thinking polo and slacks also

i was thinkin bout wearin a tie too. but again, i dont wanna be the only wacko that's way over-dressed, lol. if a few other ppl are planning on wearing a tie lemme know, and i'll stick with that plan. otherwise, i'll go with a polo too.

also, do we need a permit to ride a bike on campus (bicycle not motorcycle)? thanks for the help guys.

so i just found out i can't do laundry until i get my bruincard... AHHHHHHHHH

Just wear your clothes in the shower with you and then drip dry afterwards. I did it for months in Iraq and it worked great. You gotta watch out for crotch rot though.

I was thinking of a shirt and tie, but I don't know it this is a big deal or not. If not then I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Is this ceremony a landmark in our lives or just a formality we have to get over with?? Anyone know?

I must admit, that new multiquote tool is pretty cool.

i was thinkin bout wearin a tie too. but again, i dont wanna be the only wacko that's way over-dressed, lol. if a few other ppl are planning on wearing a tie lemme know, and i'll stick with that plan. otherwise, i'll go with a polo too.

also, do we need a permit to ride a bike on campus (bicycle not motorcycle)? thanks for the help guys.

I'll wear a tie for sure :)

COUNT DOWN = 3 days, Can't wait...:love: UCLA :love:

I just decided. I don't care if you crazy guys are going to wear ties... its going to be hotter than hades, you're going to be uncomfortable, and i'm going to be looking REAL NICE in my slacks and polo.

I mean c'mon... they are handing us a freaking white lab coat... black tie event? I think not.

(Ok, time for the truth... I am trying to sound so firm in my position so other people will wear polos too and I wont look like Hill Billy from up the road at Beverly Hills.)

Dat student... what's your stance on this? Actually nevermind, you're probably going to be the best dressed out of all of us.

Dat student... what's your stance on this?

sounds good.

Actually nevermind, you're probably going to be the best dressed out of all of us.

Nope, I'd very much like to wear a tie for the ceremony etc. Sports or very formal..hmmmm...I haven't decided yet. I'll be very excited. That's for sure. :love: UCLA :love:

Good to know. Hey Allison, it's Dan:)

Hi :)

btw, I love how it seems to be mostly guys envolved in the what-to-wear-dilemma. Pants, ties...whatever...clothes are overrated, guys. Everyone should just plan on wearing their "nice casual" underroos and be done with it. After all, they'll be clothing us in a coat. :p ;)

ps. We'll be in an A/Ced auditorium for the ceremony so you won't die of heat stroke ifyou dress nice.

Hi :)

btw, I love how it seems to be mostly guys envolved in the what-to-wear-dilemma. Pants, ties...whatever...clothes are overrated, guys. Everyone should just plan on wearing their "nice casual" underroos and be done with it. After all, they'll be clothing us in a coat. :p ;)

ps. We'll be in an A/Ced auditorium for the ceremony so you won't die of heat stroke ifyou dress nice.

Bordom made me create this non-existent dilemma. I feel like everyone's started school/work except me...:laugh:

I just decided. I don't care if you crazy guys are going to wear ties... its going to be hotter than hades, you're going to be uncomfortable, and i'm going to be looking REAL NICE in my slacks and polo.

I mean c'mon... they are handing us a freaking white lab coat... black tie event? I think not.

(Ok, time for the truth... I am trying to sound so firm in my position so other people will wear polos too and I wont look like Hill Billy from up the road at Beverly Hills.)

Dat student... what's your stance on this? Actually nevermind, you're probably going to be the best dressed out of all of us.

I wore black slacks, blue shirt, and a red tie for my White Coat Ceremony...most other people were dressed up too. A lot of faculty and the Dean will be there. Dress to impress.

I wore black slacks, blue shirt, and a red tie for my White Coat Ceremony...most other people were dressed up too. A lot of faculty and the Dean will be there. Dress to impress.

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

hi everyone!

question for weyburn people who already moved in. if we move in before our quarter starts, do we have to pay for a summer permit or just fall?

thanks, cant wait til we start!

:)

hi everyone!

question for weyburn people who already moved in. if we move in before our quarter starts, do we have to pay for a summer permit or just fall?

thanks, cant wait til we start!

:)

1) Call and ask housing/parking services.
2) Park on Veteran Ave until the Fall Quarter starts.

i'm planning for a nice shirt and a tie.

(real reason for post - to be the 1000th post in this thread!)

Status
Not open for further replies.