UCLA Thread... part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any new thoughts on the New Graduate Student Orientation? Are most people still not going to attend? Do you think our Dental School orientation will cover any general campus basics... or just info specific to the dental school itself.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone lives in Jacaranda court?? am i the only one here??

Cypress Court...here!!!1

Members don't see this ad :)
Jacaranda #200, say what's up whenever!! Free coffee right here!!

Hi guys,
I'm a 2008 hopeful. When applying, did anyone send their secondary, application fee, and undergrad/highschool transcripts all in a single envelope? Would this be okay? or do the transcripts have to come straight from the registrar?

Thanks!!

who's throwing the first party?

Hi guys,
I'm a 2008 hopeful. When applying, did anyone send their secondary, application fee, and undergrad/highschool transcripts all in a single envelope? Would this be okay? or do the transcripts have to come straight from the registrar?

Thanks!!

I think the transcripts have to come straight from the registrar I'm pretty sure...

KAP- I thought it'd be your or DAT Student.

I think the transcripts have to come straight from the registrar I'm pretty sure...

KAP- I thought it'd be your or DAT Student.

hey guys, i wanted to meet a lot of u before this thing actually got rollin....but im here in central cal spending time w/ friends and fam....i guess that's important too lol. anyways, im excited to meet u guys during orientation, even though i'll probably have no idea who u are. maybe we should get those "hello, my name is:" stickers and write our sdn id's on there lol.

Hi guys,

Thanks!!

as long as the transcripts are official and in a sealed envelope then it's ok if you send them. and it is also ok to send it all at the same time.

Good luck.

i picked up my HS transcripts and then sent them in to ucla. as long as they are sealed or sealed and signed you are ok.

confused one check with Noemi.

Good luck

Hi guys,

Thanks!!

you can send transcripts plus other things in one BIG envelope. (like Howui3 said...it doesn't have to be from the school...but SoMe school make it specific they want it straight from the Registrar's office...so you should ask.)

...UCLA is pretty cool...as long as it's signed over the sealed envelope, you'd be in a good shape. =) GOOD LuCK. ;)

~~~~DAT-Student & KaP...party? eh? DAT_Student....you've gotten yourself way too much fun on your hands. =)

aWwhh...we'll finally get to see each other sOon. 4 more days....including today of course. :D

BTW...thanks L8DYV for posting rather frequently...i got something *good* out of it. ;) :laugh:

Is everyone at Weyburn already? What's everyone up to? I've been sitting around all day waiting for maintenance to come -_-

Is everyone at Weyburn already? What's everyone up to? I've been sitting around all day waiting for maintenance to come -_-

is your air conditioning leaking too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I'm quite shocked right now. I could've SWORN the initial payment we made in the summer when we signed our Weyburn contract was for our first month rent. However, I just received an e-mail telling me I have a "delinquent late fee" for not paying September rent!! After talking with the housing office, seems like that initial payment goes towards our last month rent. Didn't even start school yet and I'm already a delinquent. How nice.

And no, my air conditioning isn't leaking. However, the hot/cold water is reversed on my shower!

Mrxle3 said:
Ok so I'm quite shocked right now. I could've SWORN the initial payment we made in the summer when we signed our Weyburn contract was for our first month rent. However, I just received an e-mail telling me I have a "delinquent late fee" for not paying September rent!! After talking with the housing office, seems like that initial payment goes towards our last month rent. Didn't even start school yet and I'm already a delinquent. How nice.

And no, my air conditioning isn't leaking. However, the hot/cold water is reversed on my shower!

Ok so I'm quite shocked right now. I could've SWORN the initial payment we made in the summer when we signed our Weyburn contract was for our first month rent.

The same thing happened to me. I also could have sworn the initial payment was for september's rent. Oh well.... so when is october's rent due? is it by oct 20th or oct 1 or what?

The same thing happened to me. I also could have sworn the initial payment was for september's rent. I'm almost 100% positive. I'm gonna do some investigative work...

The same thing happened to me. I suggest:

#1) We should all go to the housing office and complain at the same time. If we call/go separately they may think it's one person's problem.

or

#2) Everybody signs a letter and one person takes that letter to the housing office on behalf of everyone.

P.S. I'm leaving home now...I'll check back later tonight

I havent met any dental students yet...

I'm in olive court too. Sad for me, already a loner.

I live under the Olive Court tree. Come by and say hey: room 403. Bring champagne and strawberries.

so let's party during orientation week so we get it all out before clinic & instruction actually starts!

btw ppls....im staying at midvale apts...a few blocks away from weyburn. anyways, there's this sweet rooftop spa that overlooks the buildings on wilshire. it's pretty nice in the late evening when everything lights up!

2 more days n it all starts.

btw the vikings won the redskins, yesssssssss.

WHY DID NONE OF YOU GUYS LISTEN TO ME. I TOLD YOU ALL ABOUT THIS PAYMENT ISSUE AND YOU IGNORED ME!!!

Get them to waive the first one. Tell them you didn't know. They'll do it. Once a year.

so let's party during orientation week so we get it all out before clinic & instruction actually starts!

btw ppls....im staying at midvale apts...a few blocks away from weyburn. anyways, there's this sweet rooftop spa that overlooks the buildings on wilshire. it's pretty nice in the late evening when everything lights up!

2 more days n it all starts.

btw the vikings won the redskins, yesssssssss.

LOL, clinic. I was hopeful too, when I first started. You guys aren't going to *touch* clinic until second year, and most people, not until well into second year.

It's fine though, biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, same stuff as undergrad.

who's throwing the first party?

Last year, us (ex-second years) threw a small BBQ @ Weyburn for all the new kids...this year, I have boards so I won't be able to do it.

Throw one for the 22nd. =P That's the day I take boards. Hah....but I guess you guys will all have started Orientation? I don't know...whatever. =P

WHY DID NONE OF YOU GUYS LISTEN TO ME. I TOLD YOU ALL ABOUT THIS PAYMENT ISSUE AND YOU IGNORED ME!!!

I was soooo sure of myself... and i thought it mighta been different for you because you moved in in august. We shoulda listened KAP! Shoulda listened!!!

Also... Im OLIVE #305!!! Swing on by and meet the MCSHOW2 in person... (and his sweet Astronomy PHD Roomate!)

Also... Im OLIVE #305!!! Swing on by and meet the MCSHOW2 in person... (and his sweet Astronomy PHD Roomate!)

Hey...I'm your next door neighbor! Literally!

I am not sure which is better. I think in the long run CHELA is better. I am not 100% sure. In the short run, AMS seems to be better than B of A. If you want to be 100% sure call B of A to see what they really mean by "principal rate reduction"

Okay, so I've dropped out of SDN for a while....now it's time to pick a lender for my Stafford loans. I've narrowed it down to CHELA and Wells Fargo. If I didn't do my calculations wrong, I think that Wells Fargo is the better choice, assuming that you're not going to pay off your loans in just 5 years. (Wells Fargo: 2% interest reduction after 36 months v.s. CHELA: 1.5% interest reduction right away)

Using the Sallie Mae calculator, assuming $100,000 loan (wishful thinking really)
CHELA:
$100,000 - $800 (health care rebate) = 99,200
interest of 5.05%
monthly loan = 1055
total interest = 27352
total loan with interest: 126,552

Wells Fargo:
For the first 36 months, you would have paid off about $30,000 of the principle. For the second 7 years, you would owe $70,000 at 4.55% interest.
The total cost would come out to be $122,838

details of calculation for Wells Fargo:
assuming a 10 repayment plan for 100,000 at 6.55% interest, the interest payment would be 36,564 and the monthly payment would be 1,138.
In 36 months, you would have paid 40,968, but only about 30,000 of which is principle (the rest is interest: 36,564/120 months = 305/month of interest. 305 * 36 months = 10969. So 40968 -10969 = about 30,000.
Using the sallie mae calculator, I found the interest and total payment for the last 7 years at 4.55%. When I added the first 3 years and the last 7 years, the total cost is 122,838.

Ahh, I think that I'm spending way too much time on this. I never had to borrow any money from undergrad (I went to UCLA) so this is my first attempt to making sure that I don't get ripped off....help! Any suggestions or should I just pick one?

Okay, so I've dropped out of SDN for a while....now it's time to pick a lender for my Stafford loans. I've narrowed it down to CHELA and Wells Fargo. If I didn't do my calculations wrong, I think that Wells Fargo is the better choice, assuming that you're not going to pay off your loans in just 5 years. (Wells Fargo: 2% interest reduction after 36 months v.s. CHELA: 1.5% interest reduction right away)

Using the Sallie Mae calculator, assuming $100,000 loan (wishful thinking really)
CHELA:
$100,000 - $800 (health care rebate) = 99,200
interest of 5.05%
monthly loan = 1055
total interest = 27352
total loan with interest: 126,552

Wells Fargo:
For the first 36 months, you would have paid off about $30,000 of the principle. For the second 7 years, you would owe $70,000 at 4.55% interest.
The total cost would come out to be $122,838

details of calculation for Wells Fargo:
assuming a 10 repayment plan for 100,000 at 6.55% interest, the interest payment would be 36,564 and the monthly payment would be 1,138.
In 36 months, you would have paid 40,968, but only about 30,000 of which is principle (the rest is interest: 36,564/120 months = 305/month of interest. 305 * 36 months = 10969. So 40968 -10969 = about 30,000.
Using the sallie mae calculator, I found the interest and total payment for the last 7 years at 4.55%. When I added the first 3 years and the last 7 years, the total cost is 122,838.

How did you get 4.55%???!! :confused: According to this web site: http://www.fao.ucla.edu/Forms/pdfs/plender_06_ug.pdf
Wells Fargo does not lower the interest rate. It just gives "3.3% cash back or loan credit after mailing 1st 33 monthly payments by the due dates...."

I wonder if you guys really listen.

You are 95% going to consolidate loans after you graduate. Consolidating loans means that you will lose benefits with your current lender....so just pick one. Do quick math...nothing too involved.

And the interest rate now is 6.8%, I don't know how you got 4.55%. Maybe you picked the wrong year.

How did you get 4.55%???!! :confused: According to this web site: http://www.fao.ucla.edu/Forms/pdfs/plender_06_ug.pdf
Wells Fargo does not lower the interest rate. It just gives "3.3% cash back or loan credit after mailing 1st 33 monthly payments by the due dates...."

If you go the the UCLA financial page, there will be a link of UCLA preferred lenders. If you click on that, there's a list of lenders, provided by CHELA. If you click on Wells Fargo, it will take you to their website. Here's a link to the Federal Stafford Loans page:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/student/loans/undergrad/stafford

Here's a cut/paste section from the webpage:
Fees1

* 0% origination fee
* 0% federal default fee

Interest rate Fixed interest rate for loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2006:

* 6.80%

The interest rate on loans disbursed prior to July 1, 2006 is variable and is capped at 8.25%
When repayment begins Six months after graduation, withdrawal, or dropping below half-time enrollment

Unsubsidized loan borrowers may make interest-only payments while in school, or postpone these payments and have the accrued interest capitalized (added to the principal balance) at the start of repayment.

Read about our repayment and deferment options.
Maximum time to repay 10 years3
Repayment benefits:

* Enroll in electronic statements and receive:
o 2.00% interest rate reduction after you make the first 36 consecutive monthly payments

o 0.25% interest rate reduction when Wells Fargo automatically withdraws payments from a checking or savings account

p.s. I also called Wells Fargo twice to verify that these are the terms.
The 4.55% interest rate for years 3-10 comes from:
6.55% - 0.25% (automatic payment) - 2% = 4.55%
Also, I just talked to a rep and she said that if you have a WF checking/savings account, that's another 0.25%. AND after 48 consecutive payments, the interest rate will drop another 1%. So the final interest rate after 4 years of consecutive payments will be 3.3%. Now, I don't know the additional 1% and the checking thing is true b/c it's not listed on the website, but I'm asking her to send me a letter stating all the benefits. But for sure the 4.55% is true.

I wonder if you guys really listen.

You are 95% going to consolidate loans after you graduate. Consolidating loans means that you will lose benefits with your current lender....so just pick one. Do quick math...nothing too involved.

And the interest rate now is 6.8%, I don't know how you got 4.55%. Maybe you picked the wrong year.

go study! =) gud luck...:luck:

To EveRyOnE elSe:

c you all SOON......... ^_^

And the interest rate now is 6.8%, I don't know how you got 4.55%. Maybe you picked the wrong year.[/QUOTE]

The 4.55% is after a 2% + .25% interest rate reduction after three years of repayment. The first three years is at a interest rate of 6.55%, assuming that you sign up for the automatic payment plan (you get a .25% interest rate reduction).
Plus, who knows what the interest rate will be in 4 years when we graduate. Most people who graduated in the recent years consolidated their loans b/c the the interest rates were so low. But, rates could climb higher than the current set rates, and in that case, you would not consolidate.

So for the white coat ceremony, it says we need to report at 930 AM and the deal will start at 11? What's up with that? What about our guests? I am going with only my girlfriend... does she come at 11 or 930 or what?

This thing is startin to bug me.

doors open for guests at 10:30am. only dental students go at 9:30 i'm pretty sure... lets see if anyone listens to me on this one!

doors open for guests at 10:30am. only dental students go at 9:30 i'm pretty sure... lets see if anyone listens to me on this one!

I'm gonna listen this time... lol.

Do you know if we will be sitting with our guests...?

Should've listened to KAP for that rent thing. However, I got them to waive the late fee!

Tomorrow we report at 9:30 am, the ceremony itself starts at 11 am. Does anyone know how long our day is tomorrow?

im assuming it ends after lunch.. friday is a freakin long day.

and we still dont know our schedule for next week correcT?

We're gonna get our schedules on friday I think. I also think we're gonna get our ID cards too (at least I hope we will!).

what are we supposed to wear on friday?

what are we supposed to wear on friday?

I think whatever... our new white coats perhaps? jk.

MRXLE: Ummm... how did you get them to waive the late fee...? I could use an extra 25 in the pocket right now.

Also... when you gonna come knock on my door...? I don't know which apt # you are.

Welcome 1st years!!! I'm sure you are all pumped and ready to get the ball rollin tomorrow! I'm a 2nd year dental student at UCLA and will probably be seeing you during your orientation week to give a quick presentation on some things and I will definitely be there during most of the social events our class has planned for you! :)

So just to answer some of your questions regarding the White Coat Ceremony...dental students arrive first so that Evelyn and Dr. Bibb can give you a quick overview on how the ceremony will run that day. You don't sit with your guests. You will be in a huge auditorium with dental students in the first few rows and then family and guests follow.

And as far as your orientation schedule, you get that on the first day I believe (which is tomorrow)!

Hope that helps! Have fun tomorrow...and if you have any other questions feel free to post...I'll try to check again later on tonight. :)

See you all tommorrow!

So just to answer some of your questions regarding the White Coat Ceremony...dental students arrive first so that Evelyn and Dr. Bibb can give you a quick overview on how the ceremony will run that day. You don't sit with your guests.

Sweet, my g/f is gonna be soooooo happy she came!!!

Sweet, my g/f is gonna be soooooo happy she came!!!

heheh...she'll get to see you w/ US.! =P

...my Dad's gonna be sitting alone amongst the crowd...he'll definitely feel very comfy!

SEE YA ALLLLLLLLL in like a few hours! :D

See you all in 3 hrs...Can't wait to meet you all

:clap: :clap: UCLA SOD C/O 2010 :clap: :clap:

The 4.55% is after a 2% + .25% interest rate reduction after three years of repayment. The first three years is at a interest rate of 6.55%, assuming that you sign up for the automatic payment plan (you get a .25% interest rate reduction).
Plus, who knows what the interest rate will be in 4 years when we graduate. Most people who graduated in the recent years consolidated their loans b/c the the interest rates were so low. But, rates could climb higher than the current set rates, and in that case, you would not consolidate.

Ding dong, ding dong.

Rates for subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans are fixed at 6.8% until 2012. I believe you're the class of 2010, in which case, the rate will still be 6.8% when you graduate. Rates for Perkins and HPSL have been and most likely will stay at their 5%.

Most people consolidate so that they have one bill to pay versus 10 bills from 10 different lenders.

Oh, and when you do consolidate, the interest rates are weighed and then averaged so that even if you do end up paying more, it's a negligible amount. Plus, if you consolidate a large amount of money, they tend to give you extra perks.

So yes, like I've said before, most people will end up consolidating to save time and headache in paying bills in the future.

See you all in 3 hrs...Can't wait to meet you all

:clap: :clap: UCLA SOD C/O 2010 :clap: :clap:

hey Guys and GaLs...it was nice seeing you all today!

...i thought the food was pretty good! :D and you all look very nice!

See ya'll 7:45 am tomorrow! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.