UCLA Thread... part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oooh, me! me! Can we rob one in a rich neighborhood?

Members don't see this ad.

tofufob said:
BTW, are any of you going to be attending New Graduate Student Orientation? I figure the 1 week of orientation from the dental school is already sickening enough, I will much rather spend the Friday before instruction begins to mess around.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Are we being exclusive by not mingling with other grad students? haha, oh well.

Is Frank usually pretty good about getting back to emails? I never received my eFan and when I called they told me there wasn't any fafsa info under my name (!) and to email Frank about it. So stressful...this is almost as bad as waiting for the post-interview phone call :eek:

besides trying to email frank, i called and left a message and got a call back from him in like 15 min.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't get a hold of Frank, then you can also ask for Connie. I accepted my financial aid, did the online class/test thing, chose a lender, and signed the promissory note in less than an hour. So, no worries about financial aid. Once they get you squared away, it doesn't take long to get the ball rolling.

I have a question for you all... we are having our white coat ceremony right when we get to school. How the heck are we going to know what is going on and where to be, etc.?

Don't forget to submit your BruinDirect application also. It takes a while to process, so you should mail it in ASAP.

VolcomBoy13 said:
If you don't get a hold og Frank, then you can also ask for Connie. I accepted my financial aid, did the online class/test thing, chose a lender, and signed the promissory note in less than an hour. So, no worries about financial aid. Once they get you squared away, it doesn't take long to get the ball rolling.

I have a question for you all... we are having our white coat ceremony right when we get to school. How the heck are we going to know what is going on and where to be, etc.?

Did you sign the promissory note electronically? :confused:

Thanks! =]

I'm assuming we'll get an email or something from Noemi with info about orientation and the white coat ceremony w/in the next few weeks. Are any of you having your family/friends/sig oth come? My parents are the type that go to everything..and wave.

dat_student said:
Did you sign the promissory note electronically? :confused:

Yes, when I accepted my eFAN, I chose Wells Fargo as my lender. Then, a page came up with 5 things to do:

"If you are applying for a Stafford or an Unsubsidized Stafford at UCLA for the first time and chose one of UCLA's preferred lenders, or if you selected a different lender than the one you borrowed with in the past, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) with Sallie Mae on OpenNet.

If you have accepted a Stafford or a Perkins loan and if this is your first loan at UCLA, you must attend a Debt Management Session. To obtain more information regarding Debt Management Sessions, please visit the UCLA Student Loan Services website at www.loans.ucla.edu.

All of the publications, to which you were referred while reviewing your FAN as well as other Financial Aid information can be accessed on our website at www.fao.ucla.edu.

Signing up for Bruin Direct will allow for the electronic disbursement of any refunds into your bank account. If you have previously not signed up for this service please go to www.amco.ucla.edu/bruindirfaq.htm to obtain the Bruin Direct form.

If you change your mind about any decisions you submitted or if you have any questions, please contact us at 310-825-6994 or e-mail us at [email protected]."

Through OpenNet, I signed the Master Promissory Note.

allyzun said:
Thanks! =]

Are any of you having your family/friends/sig oth come? My parents are the type that go to everything..and wave.

Yeah, my mom, dad, sister, girlfriend, aunt, and grandma are coming. Since aunt's and grandma's weren't on the allowed list, I put them down as sisters. Just dont tell anyone. haha. This is a once in a lifetime chance, so I want people who are important to me to be there.

does the ucla dent site have infor on how much money we need? or the total budget?

Also, if we borrow too much, can we just give it back at the end of the year/change how much we borrow? make payments?

thanks! ...I'm new to this loan stuff

VolcomBoy13 said:
Through OpenNet, I signed the Master Promissory Note.

Thanks a bunch. I just signed my master promissory note :) I chose CHELA because it offers an immediate 1.5% interest rate reduction when the loan repayment begins.

OpenNet, Step 5 (of 6):

Approx. monthly interest:
.....................INTEREST RATE
Loan Amnt.......5%..........6%..........7%
$25000...........$104.17....$125........$145.83

Estimated monthly payments (10 yr term)
.....................INTEREST RATE
Loan Amnt.......5%..........6%..........7%
$25000...........$265.16....$277.55....$290.27

I think "interest rate reduction" may be better than "loan credit" or "cash back"

I think 1.5% interest rate reduction means for every $100,000 borrowed borrowers pay $1440 less annually (based on the approx.-monthly-interest table) or $860 less annually (based on the estimated-monthly-payments table). That's a saving of ~$2580-$4320 over 3 yrs.

Wells Fargo:
Borrowers qualify for 3.3% loan credit or cash back after mailing first 33 monthly payments (close to 3 yrs). That seems to be $3300 after 33 months for every $100,000 borrowed.

I think CHELA is a good option if someone wants to pay over a long term. AMS also looks good (short term).

This link may be helpful:
http://www.fao.ucla.edu/Forms/pdfs/plender_06_ug.pdf

mcshow2 said:
Also one more thing, should we choose to specialize, will we need to start making payments on our debt... or do most lenders (for stafford) allow you to defer payment until you're out of residency?

I believe as long as you're a full-time student, most loans are deferred.

mcshow2 said:
How much room in that 59 thousand are we going to have to go to an occasional movie, eat out every so often, to buy a birthday present for your girlfriend, etc.?

Do you think the 59 is bare necessities, or a little fudge room?

Lastly, I think I'm going to attend the new student orientation, just because I'm scared not to.

There's fudge room.

New student orientation? For the School of Dentistry? Or for loans? The one for the dental school is mandatory. You sign in....oh, and you get your brand-spankin' new ID cards too. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
Thanks a bunch. I just signed my master promissory note :) I chose CHELA because it offers an immediate 1.5% interest rate reduction when the loan repayment begins.

I think "interest rate reduction" may be better than "loan credit" or "cash back"

Always take an interest rate reduction over cash back. In the long run, it'll save you money.

Lots of students end up consolidating their loans (if you choose different lenders in dental school) so that they get one bill at the end of every month. You generally lose all your benefits/perks in doing that...so it doesn't really matter who you choose as your lender now. =P

hey i'm applying to UCLA and UCSF this year and they are my top choices.
However they both require biochemistry course and the class i'm taking
right now is named molecular biology and biochemistry. I eamiled both
schools but UCSF said they won't offer any counseling and UCLA said
it wouldn't work because of molecular bio part. Is this really true??
i'm so scared cuz alot of schools don't even offer biochemistry....

keibee82 said:

What school do you go to?

L8DYV said:
What school do you go to?

i graduated from UCSB 2004 with business major. i'm currently
taking classes at CC to fullfill requirements.

keibee82 said:
i graduated from UCSB 2004 with business major. i'm currently
taking classes at CC to fullfill requirements.

So the mol. bio and biochem are from the cc right? Did you send a copy of the course description from your school catalog to noemi? [From my understanding biochem is typically only offered at 4 year universities.]

L8DYV said:
So the mol. bio and biochem are from the cc right? Did you send a copy of the course description from your school catalog to noemi? [From my understanding biochem is typically only offered at 4 year universities.]

yea i'm taking it at cc. how do I get back into 4 year university??
do i have to reapply and everything just for one class??
I emailed noemi and got reply saying that it doesn't work only
because course name is molecular bio and biochemistry NOT
just biochemistry. Are they gonna really turn me down just because
of that ??

keibee82 said:
You can take it through Berkeley Extension (Online). Biochem is required at UCSF.

Mach band said:
You can take it through Berkeley Extension (Online). Biochem is required at UCSF.

hows the online class work? are online courses accepted in UCLA
and UCSF? Is the lecture online?

ziptree said:
New student orientation? For the School of Dentistry? Or for loans?

There is an orientation for all new graduate students... a free lunch is included. I'm not familiar with the campus AT ALL so i figue it'd be a good way to become familiar with it, and to be perfectly honest... a free lunch is reason enough for me to go at all. Its on the friday right before class starts.

And on another note, no parents or siblings for me at the ceremony, the gf will be the lone representitive.

QUESTION: DO WE NEED TO PICK LOAN LENDERS ASAP OR WHAT?!?!?!?

Got my University Village apartment today. I am very pleased :D

Onto other important matters, people here are posting stuff about loans, promissary notes, etc. Have you guys recieved your financial aid packets? I haven't recieved any of that yet.

I'll be at the grad school orientation, anyone else goin?

deejay said:

not i. it sounds very boring and you got to pay $8 for parking (unless you live in Wayburn)

deejay said:

Waste of time. You won't know anything outside of the School of Dentistry anyways. =P

Everyone is so high on chela... but can you use them if you want to borrow more than $18,500 per year? That is the maximum they say on their website...

If so, I think I'm goin with B of A.

how much money do we need? is there am itemized budget anywhere? I got the financial statement of the fao website, but I'm wondering about how much more I need to borrow from independent lenders.
thanks!

Studied hard! Got my first DAT results back. I'm kind of skeptical with the scores... I actually thought I did better.

Should I apply the upcoming cycle or should I retest and enter into a postbacc enhancement program?

Can I get in with these scores??

1st: AA/TS/PAT: 19/19/22

sci GPA: 2.9
GPA: 2.76
postbaccGPA: 3.02

Master: HRM
Bach: Business
Cert: Dental Asst.

Because your GPA is kinda low you'd need super high DAT scores to get an interview at UCLA. And even then they might not be able to overlook a GPA < 3.

pre-dentalguy said:
Studied hard! Got my first DAT results back. I'm kind of skeptical with the scores... I actually thought I did better.

Should I apply the upcoming cycle or should I retest and enter into a postbacc enhancement program?

Can I get in with these scores??

1st: AA/TS/PAT: 19/19/22

sci GPA: 2.9
GPA: 2.76
postbaccGPA: 3.02

Master: HRM
Bach: Business
Cert: Dental Asst.

Re-take it, aim for an AA of 24+ to get an interview here. If it were me, I'd do a bunch of research & find someone to write me an awesome letter of recommendation. And I mean awesome.

Good luck.

edit: I see you're from the ATL. Makes it *that* much harder to get into a state school like UCLA.

deejay said:

Yeah, I'm going because just like MCshow I'm afraid not to. I'd probably miss something really important, like where the bathroom is and then I'd have to hold my water all day for the next four years.

ziptree said:
Re-take it, aim for an AA of 24+ to get an interview here. If it were me, I'd do a bunch of research & find someone to write me an awesome letter of recommendation. And I mean awesome.

Good luck.

edit: I see you're from the ATL. Makes it *that* much harder to get into a state school like UCLA.

What would be considered an "awesome" LOR?

who from my class is in LA right now? im headin to santa monica beach to bike ride. holla

hey guys i'm applying UCLA this year. my stats are
AA/TS/PAT
21/21/19

and total gpa 3.6, science gpa 3.89.

but I took all of my pre-req at cc. i graduated from
UCSB with business degree two years ago.

did anyone have similar stats and got in?
what are my chances?

Got a new email with various stuff, I'm sure all of you got it as well. I'm having trouble getting into the Bruin Online stuff. It comes up "Not Found", and I want to make sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

eapleitez said:
Got a new email with various stuff, I'm sure all of you got it as well. I'm having trouble getting into the Bruin Online stuff. It comes up "Not Found", and I want to make sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

I get the msg when I click on the links.

pre-dentalguy said:
What would be considered an "awesome" LOR?

One that makes you sound like god. No kidding. Seriously. Being an out-of-stater with those stats, you'd need a damn good letter.

:clap: :clap: I now have a UCLA email account :clap: :clap:

P.S.
POP/IMAP: mail.ucla.edu
SMTP: mail.ucla.edu (port:25)

I'm just looking at different lenders right now... everyone is so high on Chela, and I'm not really seeing how they are so great. They give the initial 1.75% break as long as you are making payments on time, and that is nice. BUT, Bank of America gives the auto .25% break, and then 1% for the next three years if you pay on time.

So with Chela, you are paying 5.05% for ten. For BofA you are paying 6.55%, then 5.55%, then 4.55% and then 3.55% for 7 years. Since both have zero origination fees, the B of A one sounds better to me.

P.S. DAT Student... thanks for all your info about chela above.

mcshow2 said:
I'm just looking at different lenders right now... everyone is so high on Chela, and I'm not really seeing how they are so great. They give the initial 1.75% break as long as you are making payments on time, and that is nice. BUT, Bank of America gives the auto .25% break, and then 1% for the next three years if you pay on time.

So with Chela, you are paying 5.05% for ten. For BofA you are paying 6.55%, then 5.55%, then 4.55% and then 3.55% for 7 years. Since both have zero origination fees, the B of A one sounds better to me.

P.S. DAT Student... thanks for all your info about chela above.

McShow2,
Is "principal rate reduction" the same as "interest rate reduction?" I thought B of A reduces your "principal loan amount" without reducing your interest rate (i.e. 1% of your principal after yr #1; 1% after 2nd yr, and 1% after 3rd yr).

Status
Not open for further replies.