UCLA Thread... part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcshow2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people going to ucla... Where are all of you guys at in the process? Have you filled out the fasfa- anyone have interesting financial aid info? Anyone know anything exciting about housing- anyone know where they want to be living.

I think I hope to get into weyborn, I am not trying to deal with driving/busing/parking etc.

Anyhoo, I just thought I would start this thread so we can kind of have our "mini-forum" to ask specific questions, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

hey mcshow!

i've started to fill out the fafsa but need all my 2005 tax info, so i am going to see a tax advisor tonight. Thank god ucla is a state school and the tuition is only 15K (well.....plus another 15K in instrument fees, we better be getting gold plated drills!)

i'm currently living in santa monica (great area! right by the beach), but I am looking at the ucla apartments. I am looking at the family housing since I am married but today I found it's at least a 6 month wait list. The University Village apartments look great and the 2 bedroom are pretty cheap.

howui3 said:
hey mcshow!

The University Village apartments look great and the 2 bedroom are pretty cheap.

I had been kinda watching your threads as you have been inquiring about ucla this whole cycle, I am really glad you are choosing to go there! You seem like a real nice guy/gal.

Thank God for the in state tuition is right! I am just worried about the family contribution part. My parents make just about 1ook between them, so I am afraid i will not qualify for any money, and i am not going to get help from my parents. I just don't want any high interest loans!

When us non natives get down there, you socal people are going to have to tell us what spots to check out, were the pretty girls are, etc. :love: (at least for a week until school starts!) Look forward to seein you down there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm coming all the way from Florida, and I'm PRAYING to get into weyburn terrace. My fafsa's arent done yet but will be by the end of the month, hopefully. santa monica beach is SICK. can't wait to be out there.

mcshow2 said:
I had been kinda watching your threads as you have been inquiring about ucla this whole cycle, I am really glad you are choosing to go there! You seem like a real nice guy/gal.

Thank God for the in state tuition is right! I am just worried about the family contribution part. My parents make just about 1ook between them, so I am afraid i will not qualify for any money, and i am not going to get help from my parents. I just don't want any high interest loans!

When us non natives get down there, you socal people are going to have to tell us what spots to check out, were the pretty girls are, etc. :love: (at least for a week until school starts!) Look forward to seein you down there.

Thanks!

I'm a guy by the way.

For the government loans, the Stafford part, you do not need to report your parents income. And that part you can take a out a max of $38,500, of which $8500 is subsidized (the government pays for the interest while you are in school) and up to $30,000 is unsubsidized (you pay the interest while in school). Only then, if you need more money, you can apply for the Perkins loans which do require your parents info. I was told by the UCLA financial aid people that if you provide your parents info and they make too much for Perkins loans you will still be eligible for the Stafford loans.

UCLA also has a bunch of other loans which have a lower interest rate then the private loans.

check out the ucla website:

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=348

and you can get more info on the types of loans by clicking on "Types of Financial Aid Programs" on the top right.

Where are you planning on living while in dent school? the Weyburn apartments? is their wait list also about 6 months? Because in the family housing apartments the tenants give a 30day notice so they don't know how many apartments will be available at the end of this academic year.

-Gil

Thanks for the info. i am definitely hoping to get into weyborn. i know they reserve a certain number of spots each year for dental students, so i hope to get one of those spots.

i haven't looked too carefully into any second options. But like I said earlier, I want to be walking distance. I heard that in march we are supposed to be recieving a lot more info... I am going to kind of sit tight until then.

where are other ucla people?

KAP said:
where are other ucla people?

I don't know. back in November there was a popularity poll and UCLA had the most number of votes. Somehow UCLA fans have disappeared. too many exams? or too many rejections? ;)

dat_student said:
I don't know. back in November there was a popularity poll and UCLA had the most number of votes. Somehow UCLA fans have disappeared. too many exams? or too many rejections? ;)

Datman, are you going to la?

dat_student said:

sick

Hi everyone...
I will be going to UCLA too. I currently live in Laguna Beach. I started the FAFSA but there was a lot of stuff I was unsure of so I have to have my dad look at it w/me. As for housing, I need to start looking. I want to be really close to school but I have a cat and I don't think they allow cats in the university housing. Does anyone know of anywhere close to school that allows cats? Good luck to everyone with everything :)

Ali Cat said:
Hi everyone...
I will be going to UCLA too. ...

congrats! UCLA is a gr8 school

mcshow2 said:
Datman, are you going to la?

UCLA is one of the schools that have accepted me.

KAP said:

even in January I remember seeing a poll that compared UCLA with UCSF, UPENN & Columbia. UCLA got the most number of votes. Back then, I think 30-40 people voted for UCLA.

dat_student said:
congrats! UCLA is a gr8 school

UCLA is one of the schools that have accepted me.

even in January I remember seeing a poll that compared UCLA with UCSF, UPENN & Columbia. UCLA got the most number of votes. Back then, I think 30-40 people voted for UCLA.

so where are you gonna go?

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
undecided, but UCLA is an option.

nah-nah-nah-nah nah-nah-nah-nah nah-nah-nah-nah DATMAN!!!

Come to ucla.

(please read nah-nah-nah's in batman theme music tone)

Hey DATMAN, when you go to ucla next year are you going to reveal your identity to us? Or will we only know bruce wayne?

dat_student said:
undecided, but UCLA is an option.

from what other schools did you receive acceptance?

i think it's pretty obvious dat_student is going to UCLA. actually, i'm a little curious who dat_student is...

mcshow2 said:
nah-nah-nah-nah nah-nah-nah-nah nah-nah-nah-nah DATMAN!!!

Come to ucla.

(please read nah-nah-nah's in batman theme music tone)

Hey DATMAN, when you go to ucla next year are you going to reveal your identity to us? Or will we only know bruce wayne?

I revealed my identity to many people during my interviews. I won't be able to hide my identity especially when you know I was accepted on Dec 1st and my interview was before Dec 1st. ;)

miravyn said:
i think it's pretty obvious dat_student is going to UCLA. actually, i'm a little curious who dat_student is...

I am a little curious who miravyn is. ;)

when is everyone officially moving into LA. school starts september but i was thinking to move there over the summer, when its nice and blistering hot.

KAP said:
when is everyone officially moving into LA. school starts september but i was thinking to move there over the summer, when its nice and blistering hot.

I am gonna be down there no earlier than early september. The damn thing is going to cost enough as it is...

KAP said:

That's a great idea! There is a **** load of things to do in SoCal.

It's a great time to soak up some sun and wash it down with a few cold ones.

I will probably move out to LA a couple weeks before schools starts. I would like to get everything set up before classes start. I guess it depends when my lease starts though. Does anyone know when the leases usually start or does it just vary?

Ali Cat said:
I will probably move out to LA a couple weeks before schools starts. I would like to get everything set up before classes start. I guess it depends when my lease starts though. Does anyone know when the leases usually start or does it just vary?

lease agreements really depend on when the previous tenant moves out and when you want to move in. With the UCLA housing, the current tenants have to give a 30 day notice when they want to leave. So if the graduation is in June (around there) they start giving notices in about May. Once the tenant moves out you have to negotiate with landlord (ucla or privet renter) as to when you can move in.

Since many people graduate in the summer and leave the housing (both on and off campus) there should be plenty of space for all of us come fall.

side note: if you guys are looking for apartments is the surrounding areas not affiliated with ucla try using:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

or

http://www.westsiderentals.com/Default.cfm

but with westside rentals you have to pay $60 to view the listings but that's how i found my place in santa monica.

Hi guys! I will be joining you guys at UCLA. Yey, go Bruins! I'm so excited.

I am hoping to get into Weyburn also. I can't wait to meet all of you guys and get to know some out-of-state people.

Do you guys know if UCLA matches up roommates once you get into their housing. I'm a little worried about who I'm going to live with. It would be nice to have a cool apartment mate.

MolarMamma said:
Do you guys know if UCLA matches up roommates once you get into their housing. I'm a little worried about who I'm going to live with. It would be nice to have a cool apartment mate.

I looked at the housing app and you can a) request your top three choices for a roomate, and b) fill out a pretty specific roomate finder info section. So you shouldn't get paired with someone who completely conflicts with your lifestyle.

Where is everyone from, age, etc.?

I'm from Portland oregon, I am doing my undergrad at chico state, 20 years old, pretty normal interests- sports, movies, girls :love: , etc.

dat_student said:
Classes from 8 to 4. Extracurricular activities related to different specialty fields. Exam up the chimney. Don't know why I'm even here posting at 7 in the morning. But as the McDonald commercial would say: "I'm luvin' it"

howui3 said:
lease agreements really depend on when the previous tenant moves out and when you want to move in. With the UCLA housing, the current tenants have to give a 30 day notice when they want to leave. So if the graduation is in June (around there) they start giving notices in about May. Once the tenant moves out you have to negotiate with landlord (ucla or privet renter) as to when you can move in.

Since many people graduate in the summer and leave the housing (both on and off campus) there should be plenty of space for all of us come fall.

side note: if you guys are looking for apartments is the surrounding areas not affiliated with ucla try using:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

or

http://www.westsiderentals.com/Default.cfm

but with westside rentals you have to pay $60 to view the listings but that's how i found my place in santa monica.

Thanks for all the housing info. It is really helpful. This will be my first time living on my own as my undergrad was only 15 mins. from my house. So, I'm new at the apartment searching :)

jk5177 said:
Classes from 8 to 4. Extracurricular activities related to different specialty fields. Exam up the chimney. Don't know why I'm even here posting at 7 in the morning. But as the McDonald commercial would say: "I'm luvin' it"

how do u like weyburn:?

I'm almost done with the FAFSA. Gotta put my name on the waiting list for housing. Paid my deposit. See you guys there!

Hey GuyS! I'll be there too. lol.

Back in the "old" days (hehe, j/k...just like a few months ago, :D ) ...i had a thread for UCLA people...but it kinda dwindled and got lost. heheh. I'm glad there's another one back. =)

mcshow2 is such a nice guy btw. ^_^ School is taking lots of times, but once i'm done...i'd definitely want to know more about everyone. :)

Hope to see you all there!!! :D

mkdhappy said:
Hey GuyS! I'll be there too. lol.

Back in the "old" days (hehe, j/k...just like a few months ago, :D ) ...i had a thread for UCLA people...but it kinda dwindled and got lost. heheh. I'm glad there's another one back. =)

mcshow2 is such a nice guy btw. ^_^ School is taking lots of times, but once i'm done...i'd definitely want to know more about everyone. :)

Hope to see you all there!!! :D

I think I know who McShow2 is. I might have seen him. He is a nice guy. mkdhappy, when was your interview?

eapleitez: congrats for your acceptance.

hi DAT_Student. heheh, i remember reading posts on how people were trying to pin-point out which schools you were accepted to (aka...1st choice) lol...then you disappeared. ^_^ I'm glad you're back. SDN forum is indeed interesting. ;)

and...my interview was on Nov. 30th. =)

btw...would you be going to UCLA then? I think it'd be so nice, since we can post on SDN we got you in our class!! ;) lol.

AND CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE WHO GOT IN. Isn't it an AwESoMe feeling? :thumbup:

and BEST WISHES to those who are still waiting. ^_^ Good news will come for u, hopefully soon. :luck:

DATMAN... Who do you think I am? I will tell you who I am if you like, I have nothing to hide. I am just curious to hear who you think I am, and why you think I wore a black suit... (I didn't wear a black suit, it was a fly blue one ;) )

mkdhappy said:
hi DAT_Student. heheh, i remember reading posts on how people were trying to pin-point out which schools you were accepted to (aka...1st choice) lol...then you disappeared. ^_^ I'm glad you're back...

I didn't disappear. I went abroad to celebrate...

mkdhappy said:
btw...would you be going to UCLA then? I think it'd be so nice, since we can post on SDN we got you in our class!! ;) lol.

Hard to reject an offer from UCLA. Awesome stats and high specialization rates + super-smart classmates + super-smart professors (they all seem to have graduated from either UCLA or Harvard) + a very nice & safe neighborhood... ;)

mkdhappy said:
AND CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE WHO GOT IN. Isn't it an AwESoMe feeling?
Yes, it's an awesome feeling. ;)

mcshow2 said:
DATMAN... Who do you think I am? I will tell you who I am if you like, I have nothing to hide. I am just curious to hear who you think I am, and why you think I wore a black suit... (I didn't wear a black suit, it was a fly blue one ;) )

I may be wrong. I don't remember seeing too many guys that day. I remember seeing a very nice guy in black suit. His stats were similar to yours... I think he was 5'9"-5'10"...a bit skinny, He also didn't have a BS.

dat_student said:
I didn't disappear. I went abroad to celebrate....

...wow...so technical. lol. :D BUT dat's so cool! I want to travel too. Hopefully i'd get a chance. Where did you go? :)

dat_student said:
Hard to reject an offer from UCLA. Awesome stats and high specialization rates + super-smart classmates + super-smart professors (they all seem to have graduated from either UCLA or Harvard) + a very nice & safe neighborhood... ;) .

== i sense that i'll see you next year. ;)

dat_student said:
Yes, it's an awesome feeling. ;) .

== no doubt! :D (btw...i see a lot of *winks* -- we are just too sweet w/ each other already. heheh)

dat_student said:
I may be wrong. I don't remember seeing too many guys that day. I remember seeing a very nice guy in black suit. His stats were similar to yours... I think he was 5'9"-5'10"...a bit skinny, He also didn't have a BS.

...and I KNOW WHO MCSHOW2 IS!!!! lol. CooL huh? =) He looks pretty "nice" too ;) ...k, school time calls. ttyl u guys later. =)

Not me DATMAN... I was the 6'1'' medium built white guy, in a BLUE suit, buzzed head. I had a black eye and bruised face from getting hit by a car on my bike. Ring any bells?

mcshow2 said:
Not me DATMAN... I was the 6'1'' medium built white guy, in a BLUE suit, buzzed head. I had a black eye and bruised face from getting hit by a car on my bike. Ring any bells?

I don't remember seeing an interviewee with a black eye & bruised face. It doesn't ring any bells.

mkdhappy said:
== no doubt! :D (btw...i see a lot of *winks* -- we are just too sweet w/ each other already. heheh)
;)

dat_student said:
I don't remember seeing an interviewee with a black eye & bruised face. It doesn't ring any bells.

Than u didn't iview on nov 5- or i just didn't make a swell impression i guess.

Hi all! Congrats on getting in to UCLA and congrats for deciding to go to UCLA...you won't regret it! As for the whole UCLA having been a popular choice among SDNers and few popping up on this thread, it could just be that many of your future classmates have yet to interview and get in to UCLA...lots of my classmates didn't hear until way late in the process.

Anyway...as for housing, I'm living in Weyburn and loving the proximity to school. The building I'm in is brand-new and really nice...a lot nicer than what you'd get for the same amount of money in this area. If you don't get Weyburn, have no fear...finding an apartment elsewhere isn't too hard, and later in the spring the student affairs office will begin to collect names of people looking for roommates so you can find people to live with.

I'm likely going to move out of Weyburn and am kind of interested in perhaps finding a house to rent, mostly because I'd like to have room to entertain/through parties. I'll probably be looking for some people to rent with me since a lot of my classmates seem to already know what they're going to do for housing next year....sooooo, if there are any ladies of the class of 2010 that are interested, feel free to PM me.

cool fillings said:
sooooo, if there are any ladies of the class of 2010 that are interested, feel free to PM me.

I'm not a lady, but if your girls are having get-togethers, don't leave MCShow out of the loop! :D

Seriously, looking forward to meeting you, we (at least me) are gonna be ingorant litle frosh again and you'll have to show us the ropes.

oh my...where are all the other UCLA students??? Where's cool cool DJ Sahand??? where are you ??? We need you in this thread dude. :D lol. :thumbup:

Hey I guess I should join the thread since I'll be joining you all in the fall. Go Bruins. OOH-Rah!!!

DentistDevilDog said:
Hey I guess I should join the thread since I'll be joining you all in the fall. Go Bruins. OOH-Rah!!!

congrats!

class of '10 is gonna be, by far, the best class ucla has seen.

go bruins!!

congratS! =) yaYy...someone new joining this thread. hehe. Where are you from, DentistDevilDog?

oOoh...hey KaP! I couldn't agree with you more. ;) hehe. How have u been doing? =)

KAP said:
class of '10 is gonna be, by far, the best class ucla has seen.

go bruins!!
oOoh...hey KaP! I couldn't agree with you more. ;) hehe. How have u been doing? =)

I am already starting to hate my future second home - the ucla biomed library.

I have been spending all of my time there lately getting all the articles and writing my masters thesis. The low ceilings of the journal/book stacks area make a very claustrophobic place.

But on a more positive note, the amount of journals there is INSANE!!!! They got the most obscure or dated journal you will ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.