This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah the seventh day since my interview (depending on what day you consider day 1) was either yesterday or today...so either they are still considering more people or they are just very backed up in making final decisions.....only time will tell.

Hopefully, we hear back soon!I do remember in my interview she said maximum of 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m choosing between applying to the UC consortium for the next cycle (I was waitlisted at UCD after the in person interview) or accepting the SFSU postbac which starts next fall. This is if I don’t get into the UCR program. Not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m choosing between applying to the UC consortium for the next cycle (I was waitlisted at UCD after the in person interview) or accepting the SFSU postbac which starts next fall. This is if I don’t get into the UCR program. Not sure what to do.

Did you apply to any other programs? If SFSU starts NEXT fall then I would re-apply if you don't get into UCR, since I would rather do a DIY postbacc. I am sure @ijustwanttobehappy is right that they're just falling behind, but I'm still quite anxious as well. I hope Monday will be the day we know!

Did you apply to any other programs? If SFSU starts NEXT fall then I would re-apply if you don't get into UCR, since I would rather do a DIY postbacc. I am sure @ijustwanttobehappy is right that they're just falling behind, but I'm still quite anxious as well. I hope Monday will be the day we know!
Opps my bad, SFSU starts this coming fall, at the end of August.

Yeah if we don’t hear anything next week then I honestly don’t know what to say ahaha

Yeah if we don’t hear anything next week then I honestly don’t know what to say ahaha
If I don’t get into ucr, I don’t know if I should take my SFSU offer which starts late August or if I should apply to UCR and the uc consortium for next cycle. I hope we find out soon because Teresa told me the latest I would find out is June 30.

If I don’t get into ucr, I don’t know if I should take my SFSU offer which starts late August or if I should apply to UCR and the uc consortium for next cycle. I hope we find out soon because Teresa told me the latest I would find out is June 30.

Hmmm I wonder why she said that (a weekend date). I’ve never known them to send out any type of notification on a weekend. I honestly don’t know. If she said June 30th to you then I assume the “unspoken” deadline is next week.

Anybody hear anything from UCR yet? I always assume that if we haven’t heard anything by 6 then we’ll have to wait till the next day.

Anybody get a phone call from UCR postbacc? I just got one, but I missed the call so Im going to call back around 10 since she said she was about to go into a meeting. If you got a phone call, do you mind telling me what it was about?

Anybody get a phone call from UCR postbacc? I just got one, but I missed the call so Im going to call back around 10 since she said she was about to go into a meeting. If you got a phone call, do you mind telling me what it was about?

I did not :( I feel it’s an acceptance call! But it’s weird because I remember Theresa saying that all communication will be done via email, so I’m not sure why she called instead. Hopefully it’s good news!

I got in! The reason she called to tell me is because she said a lot of people are going on vacation for the holiday and also being promoted to new positions, so she didn’t want us to have to wait any longer to get a response.

Reactions: 2 users
I got in! The reason she called to tell me is because she said a lot of people are going on vacation for the holiday and also being promoted to new positions, so she didn’t want us to have to wait any longer to get a response.

Wow congrats !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope I hear back soon! :( Did Theresa tell you anything else?

Just that I should be on the look out for an official email next week and that the financial aid workshop will be in August. But it was mostly to explain why she was calling rather than making us wait for an email. She wanted to make sure that the people they were interested in didn't lose interest and accept another program's offer just because they hadnt heard back from her.

Just that I should be on the look out for an official email next week and that the financial aid workshop will be in August. But it was mostly to explain why she was calling rather than making us wait for an email. She wanted to make sure that the people they were interested in didn't lose interest and accept another program's offer just because they hadnt heard back from her.
Is UCR still sending out interviews though? I haven't heard anything back at all from them.

Is UCR still sending out interviews though? I haven't heard anything back at all from them.

I am honestly not sure at this point. Considering that the program starts in September and they will have the financial aid workshop in August, I assume that gives them enough time to interview more people if they haven't filled all of their spots. But again, I'm not sure.

Congratulations that is amazing news!
I am honestly not sure at this point. Considering that the program starts in September and they will have the financial aid workshop in August, I assume that gives them enough time to interview more people if they haven't filled all of their spots. But again, I'm not sure.

Got a rejection from UCR. It would definitely have hurt if they sent the rejection out in May or June, because I was pretty jaded, so I guess it was a good thing? Alternatively, maybe an earlier rejection would allow me to move on earlier.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between enrolling in a formal postbacc or taking classes at an informal one (like a university's extension program)? In terms of appeal from an Adcom's perspective? It's definitely cheaper but idk if I should stick with an informal one then apply to med school when my GPA is higher, or if I should take Extension classes, then apply to a formal postbacc and hopefully get in, and then apply to medical school upon completion of postbacc?

Got a rejection from UCR. It would definitely have hurt if they sent the rejection out in May or June, because I was pretty jaded, so I guess it was a good thing? Alternatively, maybe an earlier rejection would allow me to move on earlier.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between enrolling in a formal postbacc or taking classes at an informal one (like a university's extension program)? In terms of appeal from an Adcom's perspective? It's definitely cheaper but idk if I should stick with an informal one then apply to med school when my GPA is higher, or if I should take Extension classes, then apply to a formal postbacc and hopefully get in, and then apply to medical school upon completion of postbacc?
I’m sorry to hear :( was it pre or post interview? When and how were you informed? I hear uc Berkeley extension is a good program! From what I’ve heard a formal post bacc allows you to have a structured program where you have advisors and classes they recommend you to take. Informal allows you to work and do other ECs at the same time while formal does not. I think doing informal gives an opportunity to take upper division classes at your pace while formal has “recommended classes” aka you need to take those classes. As long as you have good grades I think it’s looked favorable as long as it’s not taken at a cc. Only downside is you don’t have a committee letter as formal programs would normally have.

I’m sorry to hear :( was it pre or post interview? When and how were you informed? I hear uc Berkeley extension is a good program! From what I’ve heard a formal post bacc allows you to have a structured program where you have advisors and classes they recommend you to take. Informal allows you to work and do other ECs at the same time while formal does not. I think doing informal gives an opportunity to take upper division classes at your pace while formal has “recommended classes” aka you need to take those classes. As long as you have good grades I think it’s looked favorable as long as it’s not taken at a cc. Only downside is you don’t have a committee letter as formal programs would normally have.
I didn't get an interview at all. I'm thinking that only one group of people were interviewed and all were accepted I think?
Edit: looks like some of those interviewed haven't heard back so

Last edited:
Yeah I haven’t heard anything not a rejection or acceptance or an interview so I’m not sure what is going on

Reactions: 1 users
A little unrelated, but does anyone know if SOM advisors or counselors speak/schedules meetings with students who have already graduated from undergrad?

Hey everyone!
I received an acceptance from UCSF on May 2nd.
It was my third time applying.
I am currently conducting research at the National Institutes of Health (1 year).
I highly recommend applying to the NIH IRTA program since it is an amazing opportunity with so many resources (shadowing, volunteering, publications), and you get to work in the D.C. area.
It’s free and you get paid!
(Feel free to contact me for more info)

If anybody else gets into UCSF, please feel free to contact me and we can get a Group Me started!
Good luck to everyone applying!

Were you interviewed the first two times applying? I got put on the waitlist at UCSF this cycle after interviewing and I plan on re-applying next year. I'm curious how I will be viewed as an applicant next cycle.

Maybe this week?

Congratulations on being accepted! I've been a lurker since February, and am applying in the next cycle 2020. I wanted to PM you a few questions, but I am not able to for some reason. Would it be possible for you to share your stats? If not, I completely understand. Thank you so much again, good luck with your journey to med school!

Congratulations on being accepted! I've been a lurker since February, and am applying in the next cycle 2020. I wanted to PM you a few questions, but I am not able to for some reason. Would it be possible for you to share your stats? If not, I completely understand. Thank you so much again, good luck with your journey to med school!

Hey hey! Thanks so much! And I dont mind at all!

Undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.1
Undergrad science GPA: 3.0
I shadowed a Family Medicine physician at a clinic in Corona
I'm in a volunteer program at Riverside Community Hospital
I'm a project coordinator and a research volunteer for a nonprofit organization catering to Riverside and SB county. I primarily volunteered for this organization before I was given my new title.
My LOR's came from the family med doc that I shadowed, the CEO of the non-prof, and one of UCR's professors from a recent course I took through their extension program.

I didn't start getting involved with all of this until early November of last year. And I say that only to show that UCR (and schools like UCR) are more interested in the quality of your work and the passion you have for it, rather than the quantity of activities and # of years served. I was honestly very nervous because UCR was the only post bacc I could/wanted to apply to and I was worried that my stats weren't enough. But I honestly just thank God because its been a journey up to this point ahah.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back anything from UCR officially? I got a call from Ms. Cofield for something else but wasn’t able to ask about my status.

It was for a summer program!

Nice!!

I honestly dont know when we are going to all receive a final confirmation. I've been trying to make logical predictions but, Idk....

I can only assume that it will be before the second week of August considering there is supposed to be a financial aid workshop happening that month. What day? I have no clue. During the phone call she only told me August.

Hey hey! Thanks so much! And I dont mind at all!

Undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.1
Undergrad science GPA: 3.0
I shadowed a Family Medicine physician at a clinic in Corona
I'm in a volunteer program at Riverside Community Hospital
I'm a project coordinator and a research volunteer for a nonprofit organization catering to Riverside and SB county. I primarily volunteered for this organization before I was given my new title.
My LOR's came from the family med doc that I shadowed, the CEO of the non-prof, and one of UCR's professors from a recent course I took through their extension program.

I didn't start getting involved with all of this until early November of last year. And I say that only to show that UCR (and schools like UCR) are more interested in the quality of your work and the passion you have for it, rather than the quantity of activities and # of years served. I was honestly very nervous because UCR was the only post bacc I could/wanted to apply to and I was worried that my stats weren't enough. But I honestly just thank God because its been a journey up to this point ahah.

Thank you again for sharing your stats. Your admission was well deserved! I’m from the Bay Area and am applying to every UC post bacc (except la). Is it wrong to think that seems there’s a higher chance of getting in a post bacc program if you’re familiar/live in that certain area (I went to school in Davis so hopefully things work out!) I’m thinking of this bc since you are familiar with the Riverside area, you know how to approach patients/people within the Riverside community. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
But just as you said, it’s also important to so share the same goals and passion as the program itself. Would love to be able to continue to ask you any questions in the future! Good luck and thanks again.

Thank you again for sharing your stats. Your admission was well deserved! I’m from the Bay Area and am applying to every UC post bacc (except la). Is it wrong to think that seems there’s a higher chance of getting in a post bacc program if you’re familiar/live in that certain area (I went to school in Davis so hopefully things work out!) I’m thinking of this bc since you are familiar with the Riverside area, you know how to approach patients/people within the Riverside community. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
But just as you said, it’s also important to so share the same goals and passion as the program itself. Would love to be able to continue to ask you any questions in the future! Good luck and thanks again.

I don't think it is wrong to assume that at all. UCR's post bacc admission guidelines state that "Preference will be given to applicants from the Inland Southern California region." I wouldn't let this guideline keep you from applying though; especially if you just live a couple counties away from wherever you are applying. You never know how your entire application will inspire them to invest in you, despite where you live. I think a lot of post bacc programs, including UCRs, are interested in applicants that are dedicated to serving in medically undeserved communities considering that the ultimate, down-the-line, goal would be to transition these communities out of the "medically undeserved" status. So I think that if you are seeking to get into a post bacc (with a "medically-undeserved" mission) that isn't within your county, you should focus on how you can serve a community (or communities) within your own county that has (or have) a similar "medically undeserved" status as the county you are looking to obtain your higher education in. This shows that although you might not directly serve, for example, Riverside County...you are experienced in serving medically undeserved communities, in general, within your own county. OR if your county doesn't have a similar medically undeserved status, it would be good to step outside of your county and see where you can serve. On top of that, and maybe most importantly, you will want to do some research into the out-of-county post bacc to determine a reason of why you want to participate in that program specifically. Admissions really want to know how their program will benefit you in a different way that another program will. What makes their program stand out above the others?

Trust and believe I still have a lot of learning to do! Like I said UCR's post bacc was the only one I could/wanted to apply to. Reason being is because I still want to serve Riverside/SB county through the non-prof organization that I am in. I still want to continue to learn how to effectively serve in undeserved communities; even though, for the next academic year, I will have to reduce the amount of time dedicated to it.

I would be more than willing to help as much as I possibly can with any questions you have. I know the general spirit of higher education is competitive (which I still don't understand), but I want to take the collaborative approach. We will all be future colleagues after all!

Nice!!

I honestly dont know when we are going to all receive a final confirmation. I've been trying to make logical predictions but, Idk....

I can only assume that it will be before the second week of August considering there is supposed to be a financial aid workshop happening that month. What day? I have no clue. During the phone call she only told me August.

Congrats on the acceptance. I've been a lurker for the past month. Teresa also called me earlier this week letting me know that I've been accepted.

Do you know if anyone has gotten the official acceptance email. During the call Teresa said she would email me soon, so I thought it would be sometime this week, but I haven't received anything yet.

I don't think it is wrong to assume that at all. UCR's post bacc admission guidelines state that "Preference will be given to applicants from the Inland Southern California region." I wouldn't let this guideline keep you from applying though; especially if you just live a couple counties away from wherever you are applying. You never know how your entire application will inspire them to invest in you, despite where you live. I think a lot of post bacc programs, including UCRs, are interested in applicants that are dedicated to serving in medically undeserved communities considering that the ultimate, down-the-line, goal would be to transition these communities out of the "medically undeserved" status. So I think that if you are seeking to get into a post bacc (with a "medically-undeserved" mission) that isn't within your county, you should focus on how you can serve a community (or communities) within your own county that has (or have) a similar "medically undeserved" status as the county you are looking to obtain your higher education in. This shows that although you might not directly serve, for example, Riverside County...you are experienced in serving medically undeserved communities, in general, within your own county. OR if your county doesn't have a similar medically undeserved status, it would be good to step outside of your county and see where you can serve. On top of that, and maybe most importantly, you will want to do some research into the out-of-county post bacc to determine a reason of why you want to participate in that program specifically. Admissions really want to know how their program will benefit you in a different way that another program will. What makes their program stand out above the others?

Trust and believe I still have a lot of learning to do! Like I said UCR's post bacc was the only one I could/wanted to apply to. Reason being is because I still want to serve Riverside/SB county through the non-prof organization that I am in. I still want to continue to learn how to effectively serve in undeserved communities; even though, for the next academic year, I will have to reduce the amount of time dedicated to it.

I would be more than willing to help as much as I possibly can with any questions you have. I know the general spirit of higher education is competitive (which I still don't understand), but I want to take the collaborative approach. We will all be future colleagues after all!

Thank you for your great answer. Would love to see how you handle the post bacc course load, but thats a question for the future! :D

Congrats on the acceptance. I've been a lurker for the past month. Teresa also called me earlier this week letting me know that I've been accepted.

Do you know if anyone has gotten the official acceptance email. During the call Teresa said she would email me soon, so I thought it would be sometime this week, but I haven't received anything yet.

Congrats!!!! I havent received my official acceptance yet. Just a phone call, like you. My call was on July 3rd and I was told to look out for an email the following week. Im just assuming they are very backed up with alot of things. But considering we are getting closer and closer to the start date, we should get an email anytime now. If nothing today then we will have to see what happens next week.

Congrats!!!! I havent received my official acceptance yet. Just a phone call, like you. My call was on July 3rd and I was told to look out for an email the following week. Im just assuming they are very backed up with alot of things. But considering we are getting closer and closer to the start date, we should get an email anytime now. If nothing today then we will have to see what happens next week.

Also no, I havent heard of anyone else getting an official acceptance email.

Did you get any date specifics about anything?

Did you get any date specifics about anything?

No I did not. During the interview and the phone call she mentioned the financial aid workshop in August and that the program will start in September. She also mentioned that the scholarships will be available via essay submissions, but the scholarships will be posted when the final cohort is decided.

No I did not. During the interview and the phone call she mentioned the financial aid workshop in August and that the program will start in September. She also mentioned that the scholarships will be available via essay submissions, but the scholarships will be posted when the final cohort is decided.

Ahh ok. Based on that, maybe we havent gotten an acceptance email because they are still deciding on the final cohort.

When was your interview? I ask because I was given a time frame of June 18th - June 21st to choose from. Were you given that same time frame?