This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When was your interview? I ask because I was given a time frame of June 18th - June 21st to choose from. Were you given that same time frame?

Teresa emailed me on June 27th to set up an interview time and my interview was on July 1st.

I hope they decide the final cohort soon, I'm always refreshing my email to see if I received anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Teresa emailed me on June 27th to set up an interview time and my interview was on July 1st.

I hope they decide the final cohort soon, I'm always refreshing my email to see if I received anything.

Oh really?!? OK that puts a lot of things into perspective. That just confirmed that they were definitely still interviewing after June 21st. Another person and I were interviewed during the time frame that I mentioned. Who knows....maybe they are still interviewing now. That could be why we haven't actually received an email yet. It could be that Ms. Theresa wanted to call those who have been accepted to ensure that they dont lose interest while the admissions committee is still reviewing other applicants.

Ahahah you and me both. My email has remained open ever since I sent in my application ahahah

Reactions: 1 user
Oh really?!? OK that puts a lot of things into perspective. That just confirmed that they were definitely still interviewing after June 21st. Another person and I were interviewed during the time frame that I mentioned. Who knows....maybe they are still interviewing now. That could be why we haven't actually received an email yet. It could be that Ms. Theresa wanted to call those who have been accepted to ensure that they dont lose interest while the admissions committee is still reviewing other applicants.

Ahahah you and me both. My email has remained open ever since I sent in my application ahahah
Perhaps they are still interviewing people. I think the final cohort is 10-12 people right? So, they are most likely going to be very selective interviewing people and choosing from that group.

I am most definitely still interested in the program, it was the only one I applied to.

LOL yeah, I even checked the portal to see if it was updated with anything, but it still says incomplete 0_0

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps they are still interviewing people. I think the final cohort is 10-12 people right? So, they are most likely going to be very selective interviewing people and choosing from that group.

I am most definitely still interested in the program, it was the only one I applied to.

LOL yeah, I even checked the portal to see if it was updated with anything, but it still says incomplete 0_0

Yeah she told me they were selecting 12.

Ahahaha I was doing the same thing. As if they would change our status in the portal before emailing us ahaha idk I was just trying to look for something...anything ahahha

I wonder if anyone else has gotten an acceptance call yet..:unsure: And how many of the 12 have been accepted.

hahaha, I just want to know what we need to do now. Getting the call from Ms. Cofield is nice and reassuring, but I just antsy.

I wonder if anyone else has gotten an acceptance call yet..:unsure: And how many of the 12 have been accepted.

hahaha, I just want to know what we need to do now. Getting the call from Ms. Cofield is nice and reassuring, but I just antsy.

You are literally saying everything that I've been thinking for the past couple of weeks ahaha

I just checked! Came at 3:31

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the acceptance. I've been a lurker for the past month. Teresa also called me earlier this week letting me know that I've been accepted.

Do you know if anyone has gotten the official acceptance email. During the call Teresa said she would email me soon, so I thought it would be sometime this week, but I haven't received anything yet.

Hey, congrats all! I've also been a "lurker" for past week or two.

I also got into the program & received an official email today as well ! !

Congrats to the both of you. Are you and @Lumos_97 also from the Riverside area?
Thank you! I am from the OC area, but did my undergrad at UCR. I volunteered in a hospital for couple of years in Anaheim. Shadowed a cardiologist and endocrinologist in Anaheim and Irvine, respectively. And did research in a biochemistry lab at UCR.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't received anything with new instructions. Emailed Ms. Cofield my signed form this morning, she replied just saying she is excited to have me join the program.

Is an electronic signature OK? Or did you print it out and sign it yourself and then scan it and email it back to her? It doesn't necessarily say how the form should be signed. I am going to send her an e-sig copy and if she says it needs to be hand-signed, then I'll just do it that way.

Last edited:
Is an electronic signature OK? Or did you print it out and sign it yourself and then scan it and email it back to her? It doesn't necessarily say how the form should be signed. I am going to send her an e-sig copy and if she says it needs to be hand-signed, then I'll just do it that way.
Maybe... although in the acceptance letter it mentioned "(scanned email copy accepted)"... I just printed/signed/scanned as well to be safe.

Hey hey! Thanks so much! And I dont mind at all!

Undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.1
Undergrad science GPA: 3.0
I shadowed a Family Medicine physician at a clinic in Corona
I'm in a volunteer program at Riverside Community Hospital
I'm a project coordinator and a research volunteer for a nonprofit organization catering to Riverside and SB county. I primarily volunteered for this organization before I was given my new title.
My LOR's came from the family med doc that I shadowed, the CEO of the non-prof, and one of UCR's professors from a recent course I took through their extension program.

I didn't start getting involved with all of this until early November of last year. And I say that only to show that UCR (and schools like UCR) are more interested in the quality of your work and the passion you have for it, rather than the quantity of activities and # of years served. I was honestly very nervous because UCR was the only post bacc I could/wanted to apply to and I was worried that my stats weren't enough. But I honestly just thank God because its been a journey up to this point ahah.
hi, do you mind me asking your process of shadowing a family medicine physician and how you essentially went about asking them for an LOR? Like how often did you go or how your shadowing interactions were? (also, I was wondering if I might be able to private message you for some other questions, if it's not too much of a bother? If not, I totally understand).

I printed, signed, and scanned as well.

hi, do you mind me asking your process of shadowing a family medicine physician and how you essentially went about asking them for an LOR? Like how often did you go or how your shadowing interactions were? (also, I was wondering if I might be able to private message you for some other questions, if it's not too much of a bother? If not, I totally understand).

Hey! No I dont mind if you PM to ask me other questions. I'm happy to help as much as I can.

As for my shadowing experience, I was actually blessed to have a friend who had shadowed the same physician before. We both went to a medical conference that the physician invited him to and I was able to meet her their for the first time. We got to talk to her about our career goals and she offered to give me assistance. So when I was ready to shadow her, I contacted her and she helped get the process started. But my friend was the one who went through the process of sending letters of interests to the front office of clinics with physicians that he was interested in shadowing. He did that with the doctor we both shadowed, and when he got a response, he took it. The letter(s) should be addressed to the specific physician(s) you are interested in shadowing. You take that letter to the clinics front office and ask them to deliver it to the physician. You should also send them an email as well. If the physician works at a hospital, I would assume email is the best bet however with the work life that doctors have, a tangible request is probably more effective.

In regards to asking for the LOR, I asked on the last day of my shadowing experience. She had already known about my plans to apply to a post bacc from previous conversations, so she was more than willing to write one for me. I think the lesson in that is be very willing to share your story and your plans with the people who are mentoring you, because you never know how they can help you.

I shadowed 1-2 times a week for about 3-4 hours each time, but I would say that you should focus on the quality of your time spent versus the quantity.

My interactions were very teacher-student like. After every patient interaction, she would ask me if I had any questions and that would be my chance to ask her anything that I could before we had to see the next patient. I would highly suggest bringing a small notepad and a pen so that you can write down everything that interests you, or that you have a question about. NEVER be afraid to ask questions.

Maybe... although in the acceptance letter it mentioned "(scanned email copy accepted)"... I just printed/signed/scanned as well to be safe.

Just emailed a hand-signed copy ahaha I was eager to get the form in, but I wanted to make sure I turned it in the right way before time ran out! Thanks for the feedback. You too @Lumos_97!

Did anyone here get accepted to the UC Consortium MCAT review scholarship program? I saw there were 17 people in the program

Hey! No I dont mind if you PM to ask me other questions. I'm happy to help as much as I can.

As for my shadowing experience, I was actually blessed to have a friend who had shadowed the same physician before. We both went to a medical conference that the physician invited him to and I was able to meet her their for the first time. We got to talk to her about our career goals and she offered to give me assistance. So when I was ready to shadow her, I contacted her and she helped get the process started. But my friend was the one who went through the process of sending letters of interests to the front office of clinics with physicians that he was interested in shadowing. He did that with the doctor we both shadowed, and when he got a response, he took it. The letter(s) should be addressed to the specific physician(s) you are interested in shadowing. You take that letter to the clinics front office and ask them to deliver it to the physician. You should also send them an email as well. If the physician works at a hospital, I would assume email is the best bet however with the work life that doctors have, a tangible request is probably more effective.

In regards to asking for the LOR, I asked on the last day of my shadowing experience. She had already known about my plans to apply to a post bacc from previous conversations, so she was more than willing to write one for me. I think the lesson in that is be very willing to share your story and your plans with the people who are mentoring you, because you never know how they can help you.

I shadowed 1-2 times a week for about 3-4 hours each time, but I would say that you should focus on the quality of your time spent versus the quantity.

My interactions were very teacher-student like. After every patient interaction, she would ask me if I had any questions and that would be my chance to ask her anything that I could before we had to see the next patient. I would highly suggest bringing a small notepad and a pen so that you can write down everything that interests you, or that you have a question about. NEVER be afraid to ask questions.
Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it. I'm having a little trouble private messaging you, is there an e-mail I can contact you from or if you pm me first, maybe it might work? I'm sorry for the trouble.

Thank you so much for all the information. I really appreciate it. I'm having a little trouble private messaging you, is there an e-mail I can contact you from or if you pm me first, maybe it might work? I'm sorry for the trouble.

You’re the second person to say that PMing me isn’t working. Darn. Yeah I will PM you first.

You’re the second person to say that PMing me isn’t working. Darn. Yeah I will PM you first.

I wasn’t able to PM you either!

Also, does anyone know if there is an advantage of submitting their applications earlier, rather than to apply near the deadline? Thank you

Also, does anyone know if there is an advantage of submitting their applications earlier, rather than to apply near the deadline? Thank you

I’ll message you as well.

As for your question, I’m not sure. I sent in my app about two hours before the deadline.

I submitted mine the day after the application portal opened. IMO, I think it just depends on how confident you feel in your application. Like, take the time you need to perfect, but start early, don't procrastinate. Also, I took old questions that they had on the apps in previous yrs or that I saw in other applications for different schools and I answered those and saved them in a file/ Google Doc. When the time comes, you can edit and change those answers in the way that answers your current application's questions. It saves time and gives you a "headstart" in thinking and answering the questions the way you like.
... Just a suggestion.

Reactions: 2 users

I also had a similar approach like Lumos_97 at the start... although I submitted mine a couple days before the deadline.

I would suggest sooner than later if everything is ready, just incase unexpected matters come up and the deadline is soon approaching. While I was inputting all of my details before I submitted, there was a hiccup where the application did not save all my input/info between all the sections after I logged out and I had to refill the ENTIRE application! Luckily most of my responses were done in a separate word doc so, I was able to recover much quicker!

Reactions: 2 users
I also had a similar approach like Lumos_97 at the start... although I submitted mine a couple days before the deadline.

I would suggest sooner than later if everything is ready, just incase unexpected matters come up and the deadline is soon approaching. While I was inputting all of my details before I submitted, there was a hiccup where the application did not save all my input/info between all the sections after I logged out and I had to refill the ENTIRE application! Luckily most of my responses were done in a separate word doc so, I was able to recover much quicker!

Dude!!! That’s what happen to me! Granted my plan had still shifted to sending in my app the day of, but I had planned on sending it in mid day before I had to switch gears to another activity......and when I pressed “submit” the screen froze. Then when I tried reloading the page, the answers that I put in that day were gone......

• Sad
I’ll message you as well.

As for your question, I’m not sure. I sent in my app about two hours before the deadline.

But to hit back on your point, I’m not sure if adcoms look at the fact that you submitted your app before someone else to determine who to invite into their program. I think it just really depends on when you feel that your application is 100% ready. I think that’s why it took so long to hear back from UCR; because they were really taking into consideration everyone’s app, regardless of when they submitted it, before deciding who to follow up with. So don’t feel that you have to have your app ready to go within a couple of days of the app being available. Atleast in the sense of post bacc programs. I’m not sure if the pace changes when applying to med school, but for this instance...I say focus on getting to the point where you are confident in your application, whenever that may be (before the deadline of course ahaha).

I really appreciate all of your responses. I am excited for you guys to participate in the program (would love to hear how you guys are prepping for the MCAT).

I have a question for @Lumos_97 and @MK21 . For your letter of rec, did you have a physician refer you? Or did you use a community service supervisor?
I am confused on where to list a doctor’s letter of rec. Does it fall under community service? Doesn’t seem like it falls under the work LoR because I am not employed. Would love your opinion.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all of your responses. I am excited for you guys to participate in the program (would love to hear how you guys are prepping for the MCAT).

I have a question for @Lumos_97 and @MK21 . For your letter of rec, did you have a physician refer you? Or did you use a community service supervisor?
I am confused on where to list a doctor’s letter of rec. Does it fall under community service? Doesn’t seem like it falls under the work LoR because I am not employed. Would love your opinion.
What do you mean by having a physician refer you? I shadowed the physician for about every day for about 3 weeks, and at the end, I asked him if he could write a letter of rec. Prior, I also have a letter of rec from my community service leader when I volunteered at my local hospital. I used Interfolio to store these letters and other ones from professors. Most applications should have a link to interfolio where you can upload it. Or, you can go to Interfolio and send it directly to the school should the school accept interfolio.

I think for your doctor's letter of rec, it depends on the work that you did with the doctor. Did you volunteer or shadow with him/her?

What do you mean by having a physician refer you? I shadowed the physician for about every day for about 3 weeks, and at the end, I asked him if he could write a letter of rec. Prior, I also have a letter of rec from my community service leader when I volunteered at my local hospital. I used Interfolio to store these letters and other ones from professors. Most applications should have a link to interfolio where you can upload it. Or, you can go to Interfolio and send it directly to the school should the school accept interfolio.

I think for your doctor's letter of rec, it depends on the work that you did with the doctor. Did you volunteer or shadow with him/her?

Thank you for your reply. What I mean by refer is to provide a letter of recommendation. I have been shadowing her since February.

I am just confused about where a physician’s LoR is categorized for the post bac requirements (One science professor, one community service, and one work/professor).

Thank you for your reply. What I mean by refer is to provide a letter of recommendation. I have been shadowing her since February.

I am just confused about where a physician’s LoR is categorized for the post bac requirements (One science professor, one community service, and one work/professor).

I think different post baccs may have different requirements. I think a shadowing LoR should be its own letter. So you should send it along with the other required LoRs.

For the UCR postbacc, I sent LoRs from one of my professors who is also the PI of the lab I worked in for 2 yrs, director of cardiovascular services ( community service), and the physician I shadowed.

I basically went off general guidelines of (science professor/community service/work)...

One was from a professor who I both had a class & did research with, one from the volunteer director at hospital I volunteer at & one from my scribe manager who is also a physician I scribe/work with. I guess in this case it could "count as both" for me.

I pretty much agree with Lumos_97... that letter could stand on its own... but also depends on specific programs. Perhaps at the time if it is a decision of work/professor vs. shadowing, perhaps the letter that will be the strongest in addressing what the program is looking for (length of time/characteristics, traits & qualities that can be touched on/ relevance).

OT: If you don't mind me asking, but what is the purpose of these programs? I have read all of their websites and they all said the same thing that their purpose of the program is to take some upper division classes and help to prep for MCAT. Is there any benefits beyond that? Is it similar like a DIY postbacc and take extra classes there? Did anyone apply the postbacc and medical school at the same time?

I am considering applying these postbacc, but I am unsure if these programs are worth to shell extra money. My apologies for me asking.

Last edited:
From my experience, A DIY post bacc MIGHT (someone correct me if I'm wrong) take a little more time to complete (not sure cost-wise). I can only speak from my experience with taking a DIY post bacc course through UCR's extension program. From what I know, extension students are the last to be considered for a class. So the order of importance in regards to class enrollment, if you will, would be enrolled students, waitlisted students, and then those in the extension program. Because you would be in the extension program you'd have to wait for three weeks, while still attending lecture/discussion/lab, until everyone who's interested in the class (even current waitlisters) gets the opportunity to either add or drop. IF there are spots available after everyone on the waitlist has had a chance to do either or, then thats when people in the extension program have a chance to enroll in the class.

With that being said, there is a risk of not getting the class(es) you want. You have to take into consideration the classes that might be high in demand and therefore would have a high chance of filling up quickly with no wiggle room. I suggest taking upper div science courses that arent graduation requirements.

This is just something to consider, and something I noticed through my own experience.

Did anyone accepted into this year’s post bacc cohort list in their application any experience with research? (Lab or general research). Just curious because I am interested in research medical schools also. Thank you, would love to hear the type of research you all participated in

Did anyone accepted into this year’s post bacc cohort list in their application any experience with research? (Lab or general research). Just curious because I am interested in research medical schools also. Thank you, would love to hear the type of research you all participated in

I listed in my app that I worked in a research lab during my undergraduate studies for two yr. If you have experience that has been formative to you and your journey, you should definitely include it.

I worked in a structural biochemistry lab studying transcription and translation coupling in variants of e. coli ( interactions between DNA, RNA polymerase, transcription factors, ribosomes ..etc). I mainly did culturing and protein purification, and the grad students in lab would use crystallography to study a protein of interest.

I listed in my app that I worked in a research lab during my undergraduate studies for two yr. If you have experience that has been formative to you and your journey, you should definitely include it.

I worked in a structural biochemistry lab studying transcription and translation coupling in variants of e. coli ( interactions between DNA, RNA polymerase, transcription factors, ribosomes ..etc). I mainly did culturing and protein purification, and the grad students in lab would use crystallography to study a protein of interest.
Wow thats dope! Do you see yourself doing research in the future along with medicine? Thanks for sharing.

Are the UC postbaccs worth it? I mean there are other programs with linkages, but for their programs there isn't.

Are the UC postbaccs worth it? I mean there are other programs with linkages, but for their programs there isn't.
Yes! Absolutely. Some postbaccs (including UCI) offer financial aid for their program for tuition and free Kaplan courses and study materials for the mcat, you wouldn't otherwise get. And the guidance you get from members who work directly with admissions is unparalleled

I may have gotten into a US med school with a 3.1 gpa but I wouldn't have gotten into UCI's PRIME program without the postbacc

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but this I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions that I have. I would have PM'ed you, but that option is not available for me as well. I would really appreciate it, thank you!!

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but this I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions that I have. I would have PM'ed you, but that option is not available for me as well. I would really appreciate it, thank you!!
I'm on the same boat. I know this is an old thread, but I have some questions for those who got accepted into UCR's program if anyone is available :)

Yeah the seventh day since my interview (depending on what day you consider day 1) was either yesterday or today...so either they are still considering more people or they are just very backed up in making final decisions.....only time will tell.
I know this is an old thread but thought I would give it a shot to try and see if I can contact you! I have so many questions, I was invited for an interview this year and feel sick to my stomach with stress! If you are still active, let me know!

I know this is an old thread but thought I would give it a shot to try and see if I can contact you! I have so many questions, I was invited for an interview this year and feel sick to my stomach with stress! If you are still active, let me know!

Here are some questions someone else asked me about the program and my responses. I hope this helps.

1. Does the program share opportunities in the area for extra-curricular work? Or is that something you could do on your own if you choose?
1. The program does share you some opportunities for volunteering in the area, also has programs like health coaching, and mini medical school ( which is a club where you can go to local schools and teach different topics on health to kids there). You can also do it on your own if you choose. Doing extracurricular work is not mandatory. There will be some events that are highly suggested you attend, especially if you are invited as part of the post baccalaureate cohort.

2. Is this a program where you can work, or is there no time for that? Do they discourage it? I don't think I will work if I get accepted to a post-bac, but I am asking because I want to know the time commitment on a daily and weekly basis! I'm sure it's busy, but one of the post-bacs that I applied to said they had students who did work, so I was wondering if that is common there or unusual.

2. If you have good time balance between taking classes and working, I suppose you can do that, but you still have to maintain a 3.5 GPA every quarter. It is not recommended that you work while doing the postbacc though. Every quarter, you will be required to take about 12 units and meet the requirements of ( 7 upper division science classes and 2 non science classes total the whole academic year) .... you can take more science classes if you like and if you can handle..... TLDR. It is a full course load. 12 units per quarter minimum. You probably will not have time to work if you are taking these classes and also participating in extracurricular activities. The main priority for you during the program is to get good grades... Also, no one in my cohort worked. Some did volunteer work, but that was the extent of it.

3. Do you have any interview tips?
3. My main interview tips is to practice. So, google some common interview questions, make a google doc, answer them thoughtfully( either bullet point the topics you want to cover in answering that question or type out exactly what you are going to say, share the doc with some of your family and friends who are open to helping you practice. So, they ask the question, and you answer to them, basically a mock interview. Also, in any interview, you will most likely be asked " Tell me about yourself" Make sure you know how to answer that in regards to the position or program in mind.

4. What was the interview format?
4. For me and some of the people in the program, they had one on one interviews with the program director, and she asked some questions personalized from your application.

5. Do you know how many people they interviewed last year, and how many people were accepted (class size)?
5. I do not know how many people they interviewed last year, but my cohort size was 13 people. When I asked the program director during my interview, she said that cohort sizes are usually 9-13 people. So the post bacc cohort is comprised of about half med school applicants who were given conditional acceptance into the SOM ( students who applied to SOM) given they complete the post bacc well and the other half of the cohort is traditional post bacc ( students who applied directly for the program).

6. How hands on is the staff/program? Do you find that the program is attentive towards their students?
6. The program is not really hands on, if you do not ask for help or initiate. If you need to talk to the director, you can email her, and she will always set up a meeting for you so that you can discuss whats on your mind and what your questions are. So, it can be hands on if you want it to be. Other than that, your responsibility is to get good grades. So if you are struggling, you can email her and ask her on advice on how to manage your stress and do better.

7. What aspect of the program do you think has helped you most?
7. I think just having the opportunity to take more classes in an official program that is affiliated with the medical school is my favorite part. It has helped me raise my GPA and shows admissions officers that I am persistent and shows an upward trend in my GPA. Also, after the class portion of the program ( 3 quarters of classes) there is an MCAT prep portion as well as having someone to help me with my medical school application.

2018-19 Postbacc Essay Questions:

Personal Comments
: Use the space provided to explain why you want to go to medical school. The available space for your response is 2,500 characters including spaces.

Postbaccalaureate Essay: Use the space provided to explain why you would like to participate in a postbaccalaureate program. Discuss your expectations of the program and what you will contribute to it. Explain any weakness in your academic record and what areas you would like assistance in improving. The available space is 2,500 characters including spaces.

Community Service Essay: Use the space provided to describe your experience volunteering with or living in an underserved community. The available space is 2,500 characters including spaces
Hi! How many hours of volunteer experience should you most likely to have before appying for the post bacc program (I'm thinking of appying at UC davis).

Thank you!