This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mamainmed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2019-1-2_20-15-59.png

Hi all, the 2019 application should open any day now so I wanted to start a new thread for the upcoming cycle. Feel free to ask any questions and let's do our best to help each other during this stressful process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So excited! Anyone has a top choice in mind? I am aiming for UCI and UCSD since I am from the SD area. Good luck guys!!

Hey everyone! I read on the UCSF page that it should open on 1/7 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So excited! Anyone has a top choice in mind? I am aiming for UCI and UCSD since I am from the SD area. Good luck guys!!
Actually hoping for uci too! I interviewed there last year and was waitlisted so trying again. Fingers crossed!!

2018-19 Postbacc Essay Questions:

Personal Comments: Use the space provided to explain why you want to go to medical school. The available space for your response is 2,500 characters including spaces.

Postbaccalaureate Essay: Use the space provided to explain why you would like to participate in a postbaccalaureate program. Discuss your expectations of the program and what you will contribute to it. Explain any weakness in your academic record and what areas you would like assistance in improving. The available space is 2,500 characters including spaces.

Community Service Essay: Use the space provided to describe your experience volunteering with or living in an underserved community. The available space is 2,500 characters including spaces

Reactions: 3 users
We are currently revamping our application and website for 2018-19 application cycle. More to come!

2018-19 Postbacc Essay Questions:

Personal Comments: Use the space provided to explain why you want to go to medical school. The available space for your response is 2,500 characters including spaces.

Postbaccalaureate Essay: Use the space provided to explain why you would like to participate in a postbaccalaureate program. Discuss your expectations of the program and what you will contribute to it. Explain any weakness in your academic record and what areas you would like assistance in improving. The available space is 2,500 characters including spaces.

Community Service Essay: Use the space provided to describe your experience volunteering with or living in an underserved community. The available space is 2,500 characters including spaces

Do they ever change the essay questions or are the same for every application cycle?

Im hoping to get into UCR's postbacc since I live in Riverside County and all my other obligations are based in downtown Riverside.

I will be applying to UCI, UCR, and UCD! Good luck everyone :)

Hello everyone! So glad there is a forum on this. I will be applying as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Im hoping to get into UCR's postbacc since I live in Riverside County and all my other obligations are based in downtown Riverside.
UC Riverside will have an application separate from the centralized consortium application. Please visit their website for more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm UCR's site says that, "Applications for the Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program are available online at this website.", but I dont see the application ahahah.

I'm assuming UCR will be using different prompt(s) for the personal statements?

I applied to the post bacc two years ago and had sent in three letters of recommendation. I have decided to apply again this year and will be sending two new letters but wanted to know if I could still use the old letters of recommendation as well. I know the application will not be considered finalized until all letters are received, so I want to make sure my application will not be considered incomplete if I intend on using some of my old letters as well.

Can I do the same for transcripts?

Just called UCR. I believe they need to edit their site because the application won't be available until February; however, on the site it says, "Applications for the Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program are available online at this website." Maybe I just misunderstood?

Just called UCR. I believe they need to edit their site because the application won't be available until February; however, on the site it says, "Applications for the Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program are available online at this website." Maybe I just misunderstood?

I read the same thing you did. I think the wording was misleading. I just took it to mean the app won’t be available until February but ya they should edit cause it sounds like it’s already open and they just won’t accept until February which is not the case. Thanks for calling and clarifying though !

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the update! Hopefully things get sorted out soon, but I'm glad we're able to spread info to each other! I'll update if I hear anything as well.

Doesn't look like any of the applications in the consortium are open right now. Its kind of frustrating because I'm trying to get these recommendation letters out from another country im volunteering in and I need to help them with the process. Ill be leaving the country to go back to the states soon...

According to the Consortium, their application should be open by Jan 15.
Also, I completely understand your concern. I was in a similar position after I got back from the Dominican when I applied last year. What you can do is have your letter writer submit it to interfolio, a website that allows you to upload letters electronically. You do have to pay a fee to send the letter, however, in my experience this is the better option because you can keep the letter in case you lose contact with your letter writer and use it when you apply to medical school later on. I would highly recommend that if you pursue this method that you ensure your writer puts the letterhead with the LOR. Hopefully this is helpful, good luck!

According to the Consortium, their application should be open by Jan 15.
Also, I completely understand your concern. I was in a similar position after I got back from the Dominican when I applied last year. What you can do is have your letter writer submit it to interfolio, a website that allows you to upload letters electronically. You do have to pay a fee to send the letter, however, in my experience this is the better option because you can keep the letter in case you lose contact with your letter writer and use it when you apply to medical school later on. I would highly recommend that if you pursue this method that you ensure your writer puts the letterhead with the LOR. Hopefully this is helpful, good luck!
I was under the impression they were only accepting them this year through their proprietary electronic application system

Hmm I could be wrong however this is according to the UC Consortium website- you can find this info in the FAQ section:
"Transcripts are accepted only via mail delivery to the central office, address given in the instructions. Letters of Recommendation are accepted via mail or sites such as Interfolio. This includes delivery by the US Postal Service, UPS, FedEx and similar delivery services. Once the online application is open you should send your supporting documents as early as possible to avoid express or overnight charges. Documents may be sent directly from the school or recommender, or, if they are in the original sealed envelope, may be sent by the student. We strongly suggest you collect all the materials first, then send them together as a packet."
PS. If you are looking to apply to UCI's postbacc be sure to get these materials in ASAP because their priority deadline is on Feb 27 and it takes a while for the consortium to upload and process all the supporting docs

Hi everyone! I completed the UCR Postbacc program 2 years ago, feel free to message me any questions regarding the application process. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I completed the UCR Postbacc program 2 years ago, feel free to message me any questions regarding the application process. Good luck!

Did you apply to other UC programs? If so, what made you choose UCR?
If you have applied to medical school, how much do you think the program has helped you during the reapp cycle?
If accepted to medical school already, did you get into MD or DO? Any UC?
Also, what’s the success rate?
Thank you

Yes I applied to all programs in the consortium except UCLA as I was not a re-app and interviewed at 2 programs. I liked UCR because it’s medical school is mission driven and I see myself being a great fit there. Currently in the med school app cycle interviewing in Cali schools. First time applicant, originally from the so-cal area with no prior connections to the Inland Empire. Applied to MD schools only. Hope this helps!

It seems like the link to the UC Consortium application page is not accessible rn. Can someone confirm?

I hope this means the application will be open soon

Our new website and application portal should open in mid-January. I recommend checking back on January 15th.

Can you reuse parts of your PS from AMCAS? Or is that frowned upon? (I’m not sure if the post bacc admins review your amcas app that you attach).

Can you reuse parts of your PS from AMCAS? Or is that frowned upon? (I’m not sure if the post bacc admins review your amcas app that you attach).
I think you should be able to, unless your PS has been written awhile back. I dont think your reasons for medicine have changed that much if it’s pretty recent. Maybe those who have applied as a reapp could chime in.

For anyone who has potential schedule conflicts for UCI interview dates, they told me that they will be happening around mid-March to early April

For anyone who has potential schedule conflicts for UCI interview dates, they told me that they will be happening around mid-March to early April

Yes I interviewed there last year. They start sending out invitations in mid February then interviews are done mid March. By April they start handing out spots. Usually within about a week or two after your interview.

Good Morning Future Docs,

Applications for the 2019-2020 cycle are now open!

Deadlines:
For first time applicants, applications close on March 13th, 2019. For re-applicants, applications close on May 6th, 2019. For all applicants to UC Irvine's program regardless of first time or re-applicant status, the deadline is March 13th, 2019.

For more information visit: UC Postbaccalaureate Consortium

Hello! :) First time applying, and I was just wondering, does UCR have a different application than from the consortium? I started the UC application and it's only allowing me to send to davis, irvine, and sf?

Hello! :) First time applying, and I was just wondering, does UCR have a different application than from the consortium? I started the UC application and it's only allowing me to send to davis, irvine, and sf?
If you look above previous posters mentioned that UCR’s app will be available in Feb 2019...

Dang, this is a hella long application and I thought UCSD’s is already long lol.

does anyone know what the recommender email or page looks like once we send it to our professors? Mine completed it very quickly which stresses me out so if anyone has a screenshot I would love to see!

Hey everyone! Good luck in getting into these programs. I'll be applying to the UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UCI and UCSF ones. Hopefully some of us end up as classmates!

I have a few questions. First is there any real difference in UCR's post bacc than these other ones I noticed theirs is not on the central app until Feb 2019 but I'm just wondering.

Also, does anyone know if these programs have any linkage to the medical schools (if you get certain metrics etc). Lastly, does anyone know of the rates of success into medical school for these programs? Please do share especially if you know of success stories from the UCLA post bacc.

Hey everyone! Good luck in getting into these programs. I'll be applying to the UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UCI and UCSF ones. Hopefully some of us end up as classmates!

I have a few questions. First is there any real difference in UCR's post bacc than these other ones I noticed theirs is not on the central app until Feb 2019 but I'm just wondering.

Also, does anyone know if these programs have any linkage to the medical schools (if you get certain metrics etc). Lastly, does anyone know of the rates of success into medical school for these programs? Please do share especially if you know of success stories from the UCLA post bacc.

I believe UCR will NO LONGER be apart of the consortium. And the schools do not have a linkage program but I know many postbacc students who are now in those same medical schools so ya.

Has anyone emailed UCR? And received a response more specifically? I emailed twice a week apart and still haven’t heard anything back.

I believe UCR will NO LONGER be apart of the consortium. And the schools do not have a linkage program but I know many postbacc students who are now in those same medical schools so ya.
Thanks!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I called UCR and I was told the post bacc program will be primarily for local residents in the riverside area and that by being from San Diego I don't really qualify..

I called UCR and I was told the post bacc program will be primarily for local residents in the riverside area and that by being from San Diego I don't really qualify..
Wow really? I'm glad you reached out to them. I believe that is similar to how the med school works too. They want people from that area.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I’m from that area and am wanting to apply but I’m not getting any response from them. I called and emailed twice and nothing. What number did you call? And when? Thanks!

I’m from that area and am wanting to apply but I’m not getting any response from them. I called and emailed twice and nothing. What number did you call? And when? Thanks!
I called them last week, im not sure what number I called though.

Im confused on the "experiences" section of the application. Under "contact name" and "contact title"; does this indicate a supervisor or yourself, because there is no section to list contact information and there is also no section to list your personal title. Anyone have any insight on this?