UC Davis CO 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how do you know it's back-ordered? my status reads: "items haven't shipped yet." i'm guessing that we won't be getting them for a while :(

also, did you order any accessories?
The thing I got was pretty confusing. Maybe I'll call. It doesn't show any of the accessories or the computer I ordered and it has the warranty on back order, and they're only shipping the burner. That doesn't even make sense. I told them to ship it all on one package too.

Members don't see this ad.

wasn't that last monday meese?

haha sorry, but i messed up with the dates anyhow...i actually ordered it on the 8th...lost track of time in all the excitement....so it took about a week ( i live in la).

wasn't that last monday meese?

haha sorry, but i messed up with the dates anyhow...i actually ordered it on the 8th...lost track of time in all the excitement....so it took about a week ( i live in la).

Ooh, maybe I'll get mine tomorrow then since I ordered mine on the 6th and live in L.A. as well :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay Mac buddies!!

Just a heads-up, he should be sending out instructions on updating Firefox for people who got the Macbook soon. I tried to update to the FF4 beta earlier today and the image they provide us has FF pre-installed but I got a message that I didn't have the correct permissions (even though the accounts we set up are admin accounts) so I went into the terminal and screwed around with the groups and ownership so that I could update. I emailed him and let him know and he said he'd send out an email :)

Yea, it's definitely weird. I thought Dr. Brandt wrote in his email that the software was delivered last week and they should be shipping laptops out on Monday (already 3 days ago).

Oh well, I'll try calling or emailing tomorrow. I hate paying for stuff and waiting weeks for them to arrive!!

My computer has shipped and should be here today! YAY!!:soexcited:

Nyan - using Firefox isn't necessary though, right? I've only ever used Safari and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Nope, you can definitely use Safari! They "recommend" Firefox and he preloaded commonly used bookmarks for vet students into their installation. I'm sure you should be able to import the bookmarks into Safari though.

I tried out Google Chrome for a week but ended up going back to FF. I've used FF on every platform I've used so far (Linux/Windows/Mac) so I figured well obviously there's something I like about it so why rock the boat now. :laugh:

(it's supposed to arrive today also:D)

how do you know it's back-ordered? my status reads: "items haven't shipped yet." i'm guessing that we won't be getting them for a while :(

also, did you order any accessories?

They shipped my dvd drive already and on the shipping notice they listed everything else as backordered... which I didn't notice until after I thought my laptop had arrived and very sadly realized only the drive was in the suspiciously light box :oops:

Yaaaay, my tablet is arriving tomorrow! :soexcited:
I love new computers... I am so excited!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my tablet from the ups guy!:D

Got mine too soyjoy! I feel so nerdy to be excited about a computer...

Still no word from cdw here, I'm getting excited just knowing they're being shipped. There's nothing wrong with being a little nerdy, I think it might even be a prerequisite for vet school. ;) Have fun!

They shipped my dvd drive already and on the shipping notice they listed everything else as backordered... which I didn't notice until after I thought my laptop had arrived and very sadly realized only the drive was in the suspiciously light box :oops:

They did the same with mine. What a weird way to ship this stuff!

I hope you guys get yours soon! There's a PDF file from the school of vet med located on the desktop - cool info.. and cool tablet!!

I hope you guys get yours soon! There's a PDF file from the school of vet med located on the desktop - cool info.. and cool tablet!!

eeee, that is so exciting!!! Mine is on the UPS truck... so close! This is gunna be fun... :claps:

And I totally agree, if I wasn't a nerd, I would really worry about starting vet school! I think that our super nerd skills will be the step up we need to make it through vet school successfully :D

eeee, that is so exciting!!! Mine is on the UPS truck... so close! This is gunna be fun... :claps:

And I totally agree, if I wasn't a nerd, I would really worry about starting vet school! I think that our super nerd skills will be the step up we need to make it through vet school successfully :D

Mwahahahaha!!! I agree:D

The tablet is awesome! And I am really excited that everyone else is on the nerd wagon, it will definitely help with our studying!

In case people haven't seen it yet (someone pointed it out to me today), if you log into VIPER from the UCD SVM main page there is a ton of info available. Our full schedules are available complete with exams (at least I think that's what the little red Xs are for?). We can also log into CERE now, though there's more info in VIPER.

Seeing our schedule is both awesome and intimidating at the same time. Only a few short weeks and we'll be starting, I'm sooooo excited! Terrified, too, but way more excited. Can't wait to meet everyone!
:D

Last edited:
Can you explain the group scheduling? I vaguely recall something about 3-4 people per group for anatomy lab, but I'm not sure how that influences our schedule.

Well, look at the schedule and how some of the entries have like (1) or (2) or (1A) or (2B) or whatever after them. Sometime this summer, the "Students" page on VIPER will have under Student Groups a listing of our class and each one of us will have an entry after it that has a group, like 1A2A or 1B2A or whatever, and that'll dictate which of those sections you go to. We'll all have our own individual schedules on CERE once they have the groups and the rest of our classes in there, so don't worry about having to figure it out on your own, but in looking at the whole class's first year schedule it's a consideration.

Last edited:
That does make a big difference as far as day to day schedules go, good to know. Thanks for the info.

In case people haven't seen it yet (someone pointed it out to me today), if you log into VIPER from the UCD SVM main page there is a ton of info available. Our full schedules are available complete with exams (at least I think that's what the little red Xs are for?). We can also log into CERE now, though there's more info in VIPER.

Seeing our schedule is both awesome and intimidating at the same time. Only a few short weeks and we'll be starting, I'm sooooo excited! Terrified, too, but way more excited. Can't wait to meet everyone!
:D

I am probably having a brain fart, but do you have to subscribe to CERE for all this info? I poked around the site for a minute and I couldn't find our schedules, even under the schedules tab....:(

Edit: Nevermind, one more minute and I found it all... :) So exciting!!!

Did anyone else pay for their computer on their student account?

I never got any sort of confirmation email and my student account balalnce is still at zero. Im probably just being paranoid but i would hate to realize that my order never actually went through. I havn't had my own computer in more than a year and im going crazy waiting for it to finally come :).

BTW: i got... or am getting, a mac.

For the current tablet users out there, do you recommend we get a screen protector? I didn't see mention anywhere, but I'm worried that all the writing on the screen will scratch it up over the years... :confused:

For the current tablet users out there, do you recommend we get a screen protector? I didn't see mention anywhere, but I'm worried that all the writing on the screen will scratch it up over the years... :confused:

I can't tell that there's even a slight amount of damage to my screen after year 1 without a screen protector, so I'd say skip it... :)

I agree with Pomona. I don't have the screen protector, and I take ALL of my notes on the screen with the stylus - doesn't look any different from the day I got it :)

Did anyone else pay for their computer on their student account?

Llama- I did the same thing. I also don't see the charge on my account, I am sure that it will pop up once summer school is over. Because it is probably showing the account for summer not fall still. That is my guess, but it is just a guess. =)

Thank Pomona and JJ, I think I now feel comfortable ignoring the urge to put "buy screen protector" on my long list of to-do's :p

One other question... what do you guys use during labs? I know this is all over the threads right now, but would a smart pen be helpful?

Thank Pomona and JJ, I think I now feel comfortable ignoring the urge to put "buy screen protector" on my long list of to-do's :p

One other question... what do you guys use during labs? I know this is all over the threads right now, but would a smart pen be helpful?

Anatomy labs: you might use laptops for pre-lab and then perhaps a printed copy of the lab syllabus and textbook with a pen/pencil to jot down notes if necessary
Non-anatomy labs: laptops.

I don't personally own or use a smartpen, but I believe there are a few in 2013 who do and use the forums, so maybe they will chime in.

For the labs I used a little bit of everything. During the pre-lab lecture, I would take notes on my tablet, as usual. I would put my computer away before the cadavers came out, as I didn't wanna chance dog juice all over my computer, ew. So I would switch to the lab syllabus and a regular pen. One of my lab mates had a fantastic book (I forget which, Dyce maybe?) and so we'd use that as well.

I've never used a smart pen, so unfortunately I can't comment on their usefulness.

Edit: So Pomona totally beat me to it. I started typing a response, then had to go start some cultures before I came back to finish it :p

Edit: So Pomona totally beat me to it. I started typing a response, then had to go start some cultures before I came back to finish it :p

lol -- sorry JJ! At least we were consistent in our responses :p

have fun with the cultures! :)

Anatomy is so much fun! :D In my group, one had a print out of the lab syllabus to read procedures to the group, one was dissecting and one was looking things up on the laptop. I had the ebook version of Miller's Anatomy so it was useful keeping my laptop out (and away from the splash zone...) so I could search terminology and images of muscles/nerves/what not. I did purchase the screen protector and a keyboard cover... and a nifty skin for the top of the laptop :p I kind of went overboard but I like having all of it.

Just got contacted via email by my Big Sib last night/this morning :D I hope she isn't overwhelmed by the list of questions I bombarded her with :rolleyes:

Sorry for two posts in a row, but I finally figured out how to view the First Year schedule on VIPER. I always thought we'd be in class all day, but I was secretly hoping the schedule would be much more flexible -- guess I was wrong about that! Perhaps I'm reading it wrong? It just seems like most days we're there from 9-5, and I was told otherwise by current first years :oops:

ETA: Perhaps I'm reading it wrong after all since we are divided into those 1A/2B/etc. groups. Hmmm.

Sorry for two posts in a row, but I finally figured out how to view the First Year schedule on VIPER. I always thought we'd be in class all day, but I was secretly hoping the schedule would be much more flexible -- guess I was wrong about that! Perhaps I'm reading it wrong? It just seems like most days we're there from 9-5, and I was told otherwise by current first years :oops:

ETA: Perhaps I'm reading it wrong after all since we are divided into those 1A/2B/etc. groups. Hmmm.

Yeah, the schedule on VIPER shows ALL of the classes, for all of the groups. You won't be in all of those. You'll see some classes (i.e. 401A Lab) listed multiple times, with different numbers after them. You'll only be in one of those :)

There are plenty of days when you're there from 9-5, but it's definitely not every day of the week (until Winter quarter, haha).

My mother is talking about coming out for the white coat thing after she gets home from labor day in Maine, but it seems like a real hassle to me since we'll be spending most of the days in the retreat (she'd have to fly in, rent a car, get a hotel, etc etc). However, there is still no schedule up for the retreat or for the white coat thing, so I guess I can't really confirm the time schedule for this all. Were these orientation days all day things last year? And is this white coat thing a big enough deal that she should spend four figures to come out for it and not really get to see me at all?

I am one of the student mentors for orientation and I believe they have us scheduled to be with you September 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8 and I would expect to be there more or less from 8am-5pm. You will be busy! But don't worry, we're going to have a LOT of fun! :)

WARNING: my opinion -- The white coat ceremony isn't that big of a deal. Sure it can be exciting for some parents and perhaps students as well to be welcomed into the veterinary profession, but I don't think that it is worth going out of one's way to be here. My family is in NY and they were in CA at the time to visit and help me move up here from SoCal...otherwise they would have missed the ceremony. Aside from getting "coated," the buildings are open for you to show your family the classrooms and labs (but that's something you could do pretty much whenever).

EDIT: Also -- plan to be busy all day on September 9th! ;)

Last edited:
^^Oh, the reason I couldn't come last night was because the Village People were playing at the State Fair, and honestly who can miss that?? ;)

My family is going to come from the east coast to it, but it's mostly because they haven't been here since June of last year and my mom was talking about coming to visit for my 30th (lol) birthday in October. I told her that it will probably be pretty hectic for me during that time with exams and such, but if she wanted to come another time there was this white coat thing that she might be interested in...

So mostly I invited them to avoid having to deal with them doing dumb hurr old birthday crap during exams and the alienation potential inherent in such. ;)

I'm already vaccinated and had my titers checked a little over a year ago, so I'm good to go. Do need to get a TB test though. :)

Speaking of health entry requirements, can someone do me a big favor and see if there's a health history entrance form in health-e-messaging (under Forms) for you to fill out? Mine still has the one I filled out when I entered as a grad student and obviously needs to be updated due to the different entry requirements of the SVM, and I'm having a minor battle with the health center over it at the moment.

I'm already vaccinated and had my titers checked a little over a year ago, so I'm good to go. Do need to get a TB test though. :)

Speaking of health entry requirements, can someone do me a big favor and see if there's a health history entrance form in health-e-messaging (under Forms) for you to fill out? Mine still has the one I filled out when I entered as a grad student and obviously needs to be updated due to the different entry requirements of the SVM, and I'm having a minor battle with the health center over it at the moment.

Yea, it's there.. Are you sure it's different for the SVM?

Yup, it is up. The wording was a bit different, something like health history form instead of medical history questionnaire...

Yea, it's there.. Are you sure it's different for the SVM?

I would assume so, considering that there are more entry requirements (rabies vaccination and TB test) and I did not have those when I entered as a graduate student in 2008 so they aren't in there.

Even if there isn't, it's been 2 years and a lot has changed in my health history so I'd rather fill out a new form so they have the most recent information. They still have my status down as Graduate student too, even though on sisweb I'm down as a Vet Med student. I don't know if that's because I'm still getting my primary care through them right now or what, but it's annoying that they can't seem to get their act together.

I had a spat with them the other day about some other unrelated stuff too. Blargh.