UC Davis CO 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I log in to "My Awards," it says this:

To be considered for financial aid, you must file a 2010/2011 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA is not required for non-need scholarship consideration

As of today we have not received your file from Federal Student Aid. Please make sure of the following

You have received a Student Aid Report (SAR) from Federal Student Aid.
If you have received the SAR, is UC Davis listed as one of your school choices?
If you have received the SAR, is there anything missing on it to make it incomplete?
If you have received the SAR and UC Davis is listed and everything is complete or you have questions, please contact your respective Financial Aid Office.

However, I thought I did submit my FAFSA successfully (!!!), and I just responded to an email sent from Davis asking follow-up FAFSA questions. Does anyone else have this message? Should I call the school on Monday to see what the issue is? :confused::scared::confused:

I also had the same thing on "myawards" page. I emailed him and mine went into some weird file and now they have to retrieve it and post it to my account, but I didn't get that email regarding the questions....so now I am worried. =(

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, that's the message I have too but I don't think it's anything to worry about... yet.

So I did decide to switch to the lenovo from the Mac. It may be ugly, but the functionality of the integrated tablet just seems perfect for what we are supposed to be using it for.
Thanks pomona and jjohnston for giving me some current points of view on the topic :)
Also, I found this review more helpful in deciding than some of the written ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHrDTV8EvNg

Members don't see this ad :)
I too decided change my mind and go the lenovo route. I have always had PC computers, but I really wanted to try out the macbook pro. After much deliberation, the tablet features are just too cool to pass up. The tablet did get good ratings. Even though macbook are usually more reliable, I am really intrigued by the tablet concept. Hopefully it will be the right choice for me..

I too decided change my mind and go the lenovo route. I have always had PC computers, but I really wanted to try out the macbook pro. After much deliberation, the tablet features are just too cool to pass up. The tablet did get good ratings. Even though macbook are usually more reliable, I am really intrigued by the tablet concept. Hopefully it will be the right choice for me..

Same here, I liked the idea of a tablet but thought it might be a little gimicky. I found a similar tablet to demo and I was surprised how easy it was and how natural it felt to "write" on. I did really want to transition to mac, maybe we'll get an iMac or something.
On a side note I was surprised at how small a 12.1" screen is.

i've held steady and stuck w/ the mac...both are pretty darn good prices w/ the grant..saves me some money =) what's the best phone service provider you guys use there? my contract ends next month. time is going by so quick

Hi guys,

Just a heads up...most of the "required" textbooks aren't actually necessary and can be expensive. I would recomment emailing your big sibs (when they contact you) to ask which books they recommend actually buying and which syllabi were most helpful.

Just a thought :)

Enjoy your summer!!

Woah! My "MyAwards" Financial Aid page has all these numbers on it now -- including financial aid stuff. I'm not sure what all of the loans and grants stand for, but seeing all of these dollar signs is making it suddenly so real (in a good way :))

Mine doesn't, it still says admissions application decision is not satisfied. It probably has to do with my application to the Ph.D. program and current enrollment.

So I'm booking my flight home for Thanksgiving (yeah I know.. early) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the class schedule has been like in the past for first years. Thanks! :laugh:

Hmm.. thanks, but would anyone happen to know the tentative time at which the class would end on Wed?

The first year schedule on CERE has no classes on that Wednesday for us. But I'm going to absolutely stress that this is in no way set in stone and is subject to change and if I were you I would not buy plane tickets until we are actually registered for classes and the schedules and syllabi are up. This should happen next month. That's still plenty of time to buy tickets before November.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait to order my computer on Tuesday (or at least receive more details then). The email sent today was such a tease!!!

I was just curious if anyone has received any work-study as part of their financial aid package, or if the vet school just doesn't give them out to first year students? It was a HUGE part of my undergrad financial aid program, so I was wondering whether there was a problem with my application. I looked on the website under work-study and it said something about finding a research assistant position with an academic program coordinator...is this something people are supposed to do beforehand? Apparently the deadline to apply is August 2, so there's still time, I think?

The part of the financial aid website that you're looking at there is for graduate (MS/Ph.D.) students, not professional students. You won't be able to hold a GSR position during times when classes are in session for vet school. I didn't get offered work-study either, for what it's worth, but I do have a job within the vet school that I will be keeping for the school year. I think you'll have to apply to those outside of work-study if you want one.

i didn't get any work study nor did i really think there would be any offered. go aggies!

No work study here either, though I do have a student hire job through the UC that is in the vet med department. I've heard some students work in the pharmacy or on the foal team, however I'm not sure if this is another student hire thing or some form of work study.

Less than 2 months to go. It's both awesome and scary at the same time, but I am really excited to get started. It's going to be such an experience! :D

I seem to recall reading something last year about there being no work-study program for vet students. I haven't heard of anyone in this program, though I know many people working in the VMTH and in research. The pharmacy, foal team, calf team, etc are not work-study programs and of these only pharmacy is a paid position.

Does anyone know when our loan money will be dispersed? I'm worried it will be dispersed after orientation and I think i need it for that computer

I lost some of my grants when I asked a question about something unrelated and they went back over my info and decided I wasn't eligible :(

Boooo on them!!!

Speaking of finaid stuff, I have grant/scholarship info posted but no loan info posted (and still a whole lot of unmet need, haha). Anybody else really incomplete on financial aid information?

My financial aid is all updated - I have yet to explore the various loans in depth or accept any of them, but at least I can see what they're offering me . . .

I was actually checking up on our thread to ask if anyone has been contacted by their Big Sib yet. I know they're probably all very busy and are waiting until closer to the start of school, but suddenly I became curious about when I'll be contacted, and if others have been already :rolleyes:

In the email I got, it said you can put the computer's cost on your student acccount, and then you won't have to pay until you have to pay your student account bill (which I think is mid-Sept?). And I read somewhere that money is disbursed Sept 1.

I've looked over my financial aid stuff but there's one grant that just says "need more information on student finances" and I have no idea what to do with that... it's definitely overwhelming to look at it... that sucks they can take grants away after they've told you it would be available.

I was contacted by my big sib just recently, so maybe you'll be hearing soon too!

My financial aid is still completely blank. =/ It says that they have all of my info, they just haven't completed my award package yet.

Also, about the comps, my email said that once they register us for classes, which is at the end of the week, that we can charge the comp to our student account. Which is nice because we don't have to pay and it will just be deducted from the books/supplies check.

I think I should email financial aid because everyone else has something posted with some sort of dollar amount.

Also, I have yet to hear from my big sib! =( I kinda feel left out.

Last edited:
I had a little money saved up by living in poverty and eating ramen for the last 4 years, and so I'm getting punished for being frugal by losing the grant. It's kinda b.s. I guess I should have spent that money on something cool like underwear without holes in it so I could receive more free money than I would have spent. Ugh.

Last edited:
I just got the tablet email with directions for purchasing (yay!), but it says that the website accepts debit and credit cards... how do we charge that to our student account?

And I got an email from my big sis a month or so ago... maybe they are just super busy?

I spoke with dr brandt and he said that only macs can be purchased through the student account because it is sold through the bookstore. As far as tablets, we're on our own.

I have yet to hear from my big sib as well.. we'll see!

I lost some of my grants when I asked a question about something unrelated and they went back over my info and decided I wasn't eligible :(

Me also! Quite a tease. Back to square 1. :(

Sorry guys...I seem to constantly come out of the blue with non sequitors. >_<

I'm really interested in doing research while I'm at Davis. I've been browsing some of the labs' websites but am a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have experience doing research through the vet school? How does it work? Do you have to apply for something, or can you just approach a professor about it?

Thanks muchly! :D

For those of you who have yet to hear from your big sibs, understand that we were paired with you right before finals so some of us may have put that on the back burner. I will try to send an email to one of the coordinators suggesting she remind big sibs to contact their lil' sibs -- maybe that will help. But don't worry -- we haven't forgotten about you -- we were just prioritizing finals. I know my big sib didn't contact me until August last year.

I'm really interested in doing research while I'm at Davis. I've been browsing some of the labs' websites but am a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have experience doing research through the vet school? How does it work? Do you have to apply for something, or can you just approach a professor about it?

Do you have prior research experience? I'm not really sure if people can get any research done during the actual school year - my inclination is probably not. But a lot of vet students do research in the summer. There's a program called STAR that you can apply for, but you do also have to find a professor who is doing research you're interested in and is willing to take you on for the summer. Search the UCD vetmed website and you should find information about that program.

I'm a MS student at UCD and do my thesis research with a professor in the school of vet med.

Hey all!! We have been registered for classes!!!! =)

YAY!!!!! Can you believe it, we are now all official students!

Thanks for posting, minikitte. Feels more real now!

Less than 2 months left:p

Do you have prior research experience? I'm not really sure if people can get any research done during the actual school year - my inclination is probably not. But a lot of vet students do research in the summer. There's a program called STAR that you can apply for, but you do also have to find a professor who is doing research you're interested in and is willing to take you on for the summer. Search the UCD vetmed website and you should find information about that program.

I'm a MS student at UCD and do my thesis research with a professor in the school of vet med.

I've done a few years of research, and I'll definitely look into STAR. Thanks a bunch! :D

I feel so left out of the loop :( I had no idea we were registered until someone's facebook status gave it away, and now I have no idea how to check this or where to find this info. I can tell it is going to be really hard for me to get used to Davis' online system . . .

Just log on to the UC Davis CAS system. It is on the upper right corner of the screen once you have logged in. Mine shows that I am not enrolled in summer courses and then you click on change term and all of the courses magically appear!

If you guys can log into sisweb, you can see the courses there too. But there's no schedule attached to them, just the courses themselves. Schedule will be through CERE which is undergoing some upgrades right now so it might be a little bit before we have that. :)

I noticed earlier today we were registered too. 23.3 credit hours of fun! ;)

I tried logging into Sisweb and it asked for my PAC, which confused me until I googled it and found that you enter your birthdate MMDDYY for the first time and then you can set your own. Thought I would share, in case anyone else didn't get on sisweb because of this. :)

I ordered my tablet but it is back-ordered! Anyone having any luck?

I ordered my tablet but it is back-ordered! Anyone having any luck?

how do you know it's back-ordered? my status reads: "items haven't shipped yet." i'm guessing that we won't be getting them for a while :(

also, did you order any accessories?

All mine says is that items haven't shipped. I ordered accessories as well and was hoping they'd ship first just so I could have something to look at but it seems that they're waiting to ship everything together. I'm trying my best to be patient :)

All mine says is that items haven't shipped. I ordered accessories as well and was hoping they'd ship first just so I could have something to look at but it seems that they're waiting to ship everything together. I'm trying my best to be patient :)

Weird because I ordered accessories too and they have already arrived, but when they sent the shipping confirmation email it showed the computer being on back order with estimated delivery date TBD. Wonder why we are all having a different experience with the same company?

As for the reason for backorder, maybe it's related to the software verification that was mentioned in the email from Dr.Brandt?

All I know is I want to play with it!:D

i ordered my mac on mon and just got it today! i wasn't expecting it for another week or two.

i got the free ipod touch, and was wondering if anyone has one or the iphone. if you do, do you rec. any brand case/screen protector? i couldn't help but mess around w/ it already, but i can never keep things clean/in good condition, so i wanted to order one asap b4 i dirty it.

I'm jealous you already have your Mac! I ordered mine on Tuesday (I think you meant Tuesday too since Monday was a holiday). I kinda thought I'd have mine by now, but when I called today Michael Adams said he just shipped it yesterday or the day before.