UC Davis CO 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you aren't in the system as a vet student yet, it probably only applies to your status as an undergrad. As far as I know we still have to fill it out, even if we were prior students here (I'm a current grad student, not undergrad). I would wait until you get some sort of notification that your student status is officially Professional Vet Med to draw any conclusions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you aren't in the system as a vet student yet, it probably only applies to your status as an undergrad. As far as I know we still have to fill it out, even if we were prior students here (I'm a current grad student, not undergrad). I would wait until you get some sort of notification that your student status is officially Professional Vet Med to draw any conclusions.

Good call... thanks for the input :)

hey guys, what gym do you go to? i have 24 right now, but i looked up 24s near davis and there are none (cept in sac). is the school gym nice/big? the place i'm movin into has a small workout center, but it's not much.

also, does anyone do yoga, and if you do, do you rec. any place in davis/how much do you pay ?

ps: i ate at redrum burger when i was up there lol

Members don't see this ad :)
We get access to the ARC on campus through our paid registration fees. The hours are pretty good and if you go in the morning or at lunch it's not too overwhelmed with undergrads. The facilities are really nice, too. Poke around the site to get an idea of what everything looks like - personally all I wish they had that they don't is a set of Oly weights/deadlift platform. At least that can be improvised. They've also got yoga classes but from what I hear they are hit or miss, depending on the instructor.

edit: Typically at lunch time and on weekends before 4 pm I can easily find a squat rack or bench without waiting for more than one group, if that. When I went once at 7 pm I had to wait heck of long.

the gym here is much bigger than at my alma mater. They've got lots of equipment (all the usual weight and cardio equipment, racquetball & basketball courts, and the best of all - a rock climbing wall! :D

They've got group classes (kickboxing, yoga, pilates, abs, spinning, etc) as well -- for a small cost per quarter. Overall -- things are pretty new and nicer than the 24 I used in LA. There are pools (rec and lap) but the hours for the lap pool are quite limited.

The gym is pretty close to school -- so it's an easy walk/bike ride/drive to go after class.

For those living in West Davis -- consider asking your landlords/management companies about getting a membership to Stonegate Country Club -- they've got a heated lap pool (and 2 other pools), tennis courts, small cardio room, and weight room in addition to being situated on a lake with access to water crafts to take out on the lake. The hours for the club are pretty good too 6am-8 or 9pm on weekdays and 7am opening on weekends. They also have free WiFi so it makes a great place to lay outside in the sun while studying.

awesome thanks guys. i heard good things about the arc, but i wasn't sure how it would work out w/ the school schedule/i wanted to go at times where there weren't a lot of people. i'll definitely check it out once school starts. is the rock climbing wall free? i've never done it before but i always wanted to try it.

and i actually ended up finding housing in west davis at some place called portage bay, and i remember the landlord talking about stonegate...but i thin ki'll try out the arc first since i'm paying for it.

very helpful information :thumbsup:

]is the rock climbing wall free? i've never done it before but i always wanted to try it.

No -- it is 70/year (pro-rated if you join late, so it was like $50 for me to join in September). Cheapest indoor climbing you'll ever find. I'll probably send out an invite for an intro to climbing during the first week of class each term. That week is "Try Before You Buy" so you can go to classes, try the rock wall, etc for free before paying. I'm happy to teach and there are always employees at the wall who are capable of teaching as well :)

]and i actually ended up finding housing in west davis at some place called portage bay, and i remember the landlord talking about stonegate...

I don't live at Portage Bay, but we will live very close to one another. You will be just across the street from Stonegate Country Club. When you move in, take a walk across the street and tell them you just moved in and wanted to check it out -- they'll let you walk around and see the place (I love it because it's closer than the ARC for when I'm already at home.) :)

also, does anyone do yoga, and if you do, do you rec. any place in davis/how much do you pay ?

I have been going to Kaya Yoga for a couple of years and love it! (www.kayayoga.com) They offer a wide variety of levels and styles. The ARC has some good classes, but it varies from quarter to quarter like Nyanko said, depending on the instructor.

I just got a scholarship email with some money for living expenses for the first year. Anyone else get one of these? I'm pretty broke so every bit counts, so I'm pretty grateful for it as it will cover a good chunk of my rent. I assume this also means they're getting all the fin aid stuff squared away.

I just got a scholarship email with some money for living expenses for the first year. Anyone else get one of these? I'm pretty broke so every bit counts, so I'm pretty grateful for it as it will cover a good chunk of my rent. I assume this also means they're getting all the fin aid stuff squared away.

I got an email today too! I'm so excited - what a wonderful surprise, especially because I graduated from undergrad today :)

thank ye eireannoch, i'll look into that.

hopefully i'll get some of that wealth too

hey that's awesome you guys!!!

i'd probably be more likely to get an email saying that i have to pay them extra than to get a scholarship, so i'm not countin on anything. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a small scholarship, not enough to make much of a dent in the $60,000 or so I'll be paying for the first year, but, hey, every bit counts and means that I'll be done paying off my loans a month or two sooner, so I'm grateful. :)

I still occasionally have nightmares about them changing their mind, but I guess if they want to give me money they must really, truly want me to come

I got the scholarship too! It isn't a massive amount, but it is probably almost enough to cover 1st year books! ...awesome :D

In terms of the arc, it is a pretty solid university gym. They just remodeled it six or seven years ago, so everything is still pretty nice

If anyone is really into rock climbing though I would recommend the rocknasium. It is downtown and super fun! :love:

A question for people who live in Davis right now - does anyone have any pictures of the interior of Stonegate Village apartments? They don't have a website and on DavisWiki they only have exterior photos. I don't have time right now to drive down myself and look, otherwise I would.

I know a lot of vet students live there, but I just want to make sure it's not a dump before I commit to a lease. Pictures would be ideal, but if someone can describe it then that's good enough for me. I visited Aspen, Eastlake, and The Willows, and I feel like they are all pretty much the same, but you never know. Thanks! :)

It all depends on which unit you live in -- remodeled or not. They charge the same price regardless.

Has anyone gotten their student id # yet? I thought they said they'd be emailed out by the end of May.... :(

Actually, I literally just got the email with my # (but am a current student so it's the same). All it does is give instructions on how to register a campus computing account (which also stays the same for me).

I received my student ID # today too!!! And I am not a student at Davis currently, so they must of sent them all out! =)

So excited!!!!! :D

I got my email and then set it all up and went and looked at my financial aid award....which says they never got my FAFSA that I sent in February :( Every other school got it just fine....damn you UC. Anyone else see this as well? I sent an email to what appears to be our financial aid dude, with no response.

I just got mine too! Ask and you shall receive... :D
The SLR for instate was pretty easy (though the elections office seemed very confused about why I wanted to know the date I registered to vote :rolleyes:), but when I logged on to look at my financial aid package it says that it isn't available yet... that is a bit scary :(. Did anyone else get that same message?
quantized, that is super crappy... it must happen sometimes though, so hopefully they know how to fix it! :xf:

Actually, I literally just got the email with my # (but am a current student so it's the same). All it does is give instructions on how to register a campus computing account (which also stays the same for me).

haha, sometimes I feel a bit old with my ID #, mine starts with 993, how about yours?

Well someone got a response from Financial Aid and they said that everything should post in the am. Apparently all of their updates happen at night and post the following morning, so I would just worry if it doesn't pop up in the morning! =D

My number starts with a 99 also!

haha, sometimes I feel a bit old with my ID #, mine starts with 993, how about yours?

994 here!

I don't think anyone's financial aid is viewable yet. My best guess is the SVM hasn't sent over their grant/scholarship info as of right now, so if you aren't a current UCD student FinAid doesn't have a record for you to match up with a FAFSA so that's why some people's says that the FAFSA hasn't been received and mine says "Admissions application decision" is unfulfilled but FAFSA is there.

I for one am not really all that anxious to confirm how much debt I'm going to be in here....so please, take your time. :smuggrin:

I guess they misplaced mine - they were nice enough to get back to me quickly and let me know that it got autobounced into some remote file. I guess it's good they found it, but now I'm worried I'll miss out on that one low rate loan. Blehhhhhhh

don't think the numbers mean much -- I'm a 996 in 2013

don't think the numbers mean much -- I'm a 996 in 2013

Actually, the first three digits do seem to roughly correspond with your first year of application/entry into UCD (remember, MonkeyLove and I were UCD students before entry of the class of 2013). I figured this out when I was a TA and all of my students' first three digits were between 992-995, mostly corresponding to class status.

Last edited:
So I just got the computer specs for next year in an email and the features of each. Is anyone else wavering on their decision or am I the only one?

I guess the tablet function just seems so cool, but is it worth the PC weirdness or is there not really any of that with the tablet? I have looked into the bamboo product but integration would be nice. Also what is the battery life like on the tablet? I know most current students are busy right now with finals, but any comments from people who have used either format would be great.

Although I love being able to write on my computer and have not yet had problems with my PC, there have been significantly fewer problems with MACs than Tablets in our class. It's a personal decision that should be made in anticipation of your personal needs.

We were also notified that c/o 2014 is the first class to be over 50% MAC!

So I just got the computer specs for next year in an email and the features of each. Is anyone else wavering on their decision or am I the only one?

I guess the tablet function just seems so cool, but is it worth the PC weirdness or is there not really any of that with the tablet? I have looked into the bamboo product but integration would be nice. Also what is the battery life like on the tablet? I know most current students are busy right now with finals, but any comments from people who have used either format would be great.

It's true, there have definitely been less overall problems with the Macs, and I personally prefer them. However, I love my Toshiba because of the tablet function. I take all of my notes by hand on my computer, and that works really well for me. I can also highlight, draw arrows, circle things, draw on graphs, etc. very quickly and easily. If you are more likely to type notes during class, get the Mac. Also keep in mind that class of 2013 is still running Vista (ugh!), but you guys will have Windows 7, which may or may not mean less problems.

The battery life is not horrible/not great, but there are outlets everywhere, so I've never had a problem.

P.S. - You can tell Pomona and I are having a thrilling time in renal physiology lab, haha!

It being a lenovo clinched it for me. Lenovos are really sturdy and good laptops. Way better than any dells or whatnot.

who knew that choosing a labtop would be so difficult?

:confused: maybe it's just me..

It being a lenovo clinched it for me. Lenovos are really sturdy and good laptops. Way better than any dells or whatnot.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't really even considering the tablet option before and now am kinda thinking about it again because I do like the Lenovo tablets generally. Still though am having a hard time reconciling the idea of the tablet function alone being worth the extra $500 or whatever it is over the MBP, which I also generally like.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't really even considering the tablet option before and now am kinda thinking about it again because I do like the Lenovo tablets generally. Still though am having a hard time reconciling the idea of the tablet function alone being worth the extra $500 or whatever it is over the MBP, which I also generally like.

Well Here's the engadget review of the lenovo. It's hard to break a Lenovo, in my experience. I'm pretty pumped - they made a good choice here for us!

Does Davis have like an insurance plan for your tablets? Auburn requires that we get these same Lenovo tablets. It's going to cost about $2157, but everything's included in that (which includes replacing it if anything happens to it during the 4 years that we're there).

Does Davis have like an insurance plan for your tablets? Auburn requires that we get these same Lenovo tablets. It's going to cost about $2157, but everything's included in that (which includes replacing it if anything happens to it during the 4 years that we're there).

Four year accidental damage warranty is included in the $1735 we have listed for the tablet.

Nevermind...see below. Actually, how do you delete a post?

Has anyone been able to log on to complete the Medical Questionnaire? Whenever I put in my Student ID number it says that it is invalid?!? Anyone else having this same problem?

2 months and 30 Days!!!!!!
:soexcited::wow::woot::biglove:

Okay smiley overload!!! So excited, I am only 4 lectures, 1 lab and 5 finals away from graduating and being done with my undergrad!!! Finally!!!!!! Still a little jealous of everyone on Semesters and got to finish weeks ago!!
Congrats on Graduating!!!
:prof:

Minikitte- same thing happens for me.. Probably not set up yet..

Four year accidental damage warranty is included in the $1735 we have listed for the tablet.
Accidental damage, eh? Does that mean that if I get pissed off at p-chem and throw it at the wall intentionally it isn't covered?

like this, only with a laptop ---> +pissed+

IIRC, the original price estimate was around $2200. I guess they negotiated a better deal.

2 months and 30 Days!!!!!!
That's just cruel minikitte. You're minimizing the days I have FREE from studying! I absolutely cannot wait for finals to be over, even if I'm going to be insanely busy with vet school things over the summer. Everything is just so much better when they don't conclude in a final...

I too am excited to have a summer "off". But I can't wait to be able to move and be settled in to this new experience.

Did everyone see that we have now been paired up with our big sibs?? I can hardly wait!! :D

When I log in to "My Awards," it says this:

To be considered for financial aid, you must file a 2010/2011 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA is not required for non-need scholarship consideration

As of today we have not received your file from Federal Student Aid. Please make sure of the following

You have received a Student Aid Report (SAR) from Federal Student Aid.
If you have received the SAR, is UC Davis listed as one of your school choices?
If you have received the SAR, is there anything missing on it to make it incomplete?
If you have received the SAR and UC Davis is listed and everything is complete or you have questions, please contact your respective Financial Aid Office.

However, I thought I did submit my FAFSA successfully (!!!), and I just responded to an email sent from Davis asking follow-up FAFSA questions. Does anyone else have this message? Should I call the school on Monday to see what the issue is? :confused::scared::confused:

I had that and they had bounced my fafsa into some other black hole. It's typical UC shenanigans. Just send Jay Connor and email and he'll deal with it [email protected] He was very prompt with me, so he will get back to youpretty fast I'm sure. I doubt it's a problem.

I emailed him(Jay Conner) about a week ago and he told me that Financial Aid had not yet received the admit list from Vet Med. Did say we should be hearing from financial aid by the end of June/beginning of July if that helps.