UC Davis CO 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColoGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten an email from Davis saying their application was complete (or not). It says on the website emails will go out between late October and early Dec. I haven't gotten anything yet, just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing here but I think historically they send out emails around Thanksgiving, but we won't hear about interviews until Valentines. I guess they are holiday oriented

Nothing here either. Just lots of waiting. Question: Should I update them with the classes I have signed up to take in the Spring? None of them are pre-reqs. Or is it ok to just send my transcripts in January (it will show the In Progress classes)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI - I was notified that my application was complete on 11/4 last year.

DVMDream - Yes! Update them! I sent them an update with my Fall grades and what I've been up to since applying. It further demonstrates your interest and continued work.

Don't be scared - there was HUGE variability amongst the applicants last year for when they heard that their app was complete (months!!!). Interviews and admissions there was less variability - usually everyone was within a week of one another for that.

Just FYI - I was notified that my application was complete on 11/4 last year.

DVMDream - Yes! Update them! I sent them an update with my Fall grades and what I've been up to since applying. It further demonstrates your interest and continued work.

what is an appropriate way to send updates and when should you send them?

what is an appropriate way to send updates and when should you send them?

I sent a formal letter with transcripts in the mail in December/January - just reiterating my interest in the school and my continued progress.

I sent a formal letter with transcripts in the mail in December/January - just reiterating my interest in the school and my continued progress.

i'm glad you mentioned this b/c i had been thinking about it but didn't want to start a new thread for it. :) thanks for the information!

I have such a love-hate relationship with this school. :rolleyes:

I pretty much just am not even worrying about here, my first choice, until February sometime. Their randomness just isn't worth suffering an aneurysm over. ;)

nyanko - i had a love/hate w/davis too, until i started classes... now it is nothing but love love love! once you're in (and i think you will be!), a lot of the impersonal bureaucratic bs goes away.

everyone else - i don't really have anything constructive to say except GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! i'm definitely rooting for you, in between studying for anatomy, studying for p-chem, and organizing our HUGE thanksgiving fundraiser complete with red carpet, live band, paparazzi wall, silent auction, thanksgiving style dinner, AND afterparty....

here are some awesome things i love about davis, to help motivate you through this stressful time:
- chihuly chandelier in our lobby
- seriously amazing anatomy profs (<3 them)
- also seriously amazing radiology profs
- also incredibly hilarious physio chem profs, even if their class is tough and they are crazy, i love them anyway
- TG's - free beer, wine, and bbq every other friday ON CAMPUS!
- the halloween party (uh-mazing)
- the turkey roast (fall fundraiser!)
- really sexy road bikes everywhere
- the most comfortable chairs of any vet school, hands down.
- all-you-can-eat sushi at fuji sushi
- all-you-can-eat indian lunch buffet at kathmandu kitchen
- the fact that i can drop my flipflop while biking around at 3 am and it is still there on the side of the road at noon the next day!

ok well that pretty much sums up (my) life at davis, so GET EXCITED!

good luck!!!!:luck:

Hi Starlene - Have you noticed any problems because of the budget cuts? Have you heard anything about increased tuition?

Hi Starlene - Have you noticed any problems because of the budget cuts? Have you heard anything about increased tuition?

Ugh - this is when I'd like to put my hands over my ears and hum loudly, pretending to be naive to what was going on...

We've already received emails telling us how tuitiion will be going up in the future - as soon as next quarter (winter 2010). I am under the impression (and PLEASE, someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the increase, since not accounted for in our financial aid, will be covered by grants. If that is actually the case, that is nice, but I'm not the biggest fan of how much debt I'm accumulating...

Members don't see this ad :)
Starlene,
I am so excited to hear that you LOVE UCDavis!!!! That is my dream school!!!! Not sure of my chances being OOS, but sometimes dreams do come true, right????:D

Thanks, starlene. I'm a grad student in the SVM and work at the VMTH right now, so that's most definitely where the love part comes from, actually being here. I LOVE the school and the city! :)

And my CX bike. I love my Kona CX bike.

mtambaschi: about the fee increases, as I said I'm a grad student but here is the email I received. Graduate tuition is increasing at mid-year but I'm not sure about professional school tuition.

Dear Student:

You recently received an email from President Yudof regarding the mid year fee increase. This email provides detail about the proposed fee increase and how
it will be funded.

If approved by the Regents at their November 19th meeting, graduate academic California resident students will be assessed a $111 fee increase: $56.00 for Winter 2010, and
$55.00 for Spring 2010. Non-residents will be assessed a $117 fee increase: $59.00 for Winter 2010, and $58.00 for Spring 2010.

In anticipation of the fee increase being adopted, the Graduate & Professional Financial Aid Office has already begun increasing student expense budgets. All students who
have filed a FAFSA and been awarded aid from the Financial Aid Office will see an increase in their student expense budgets for the fee increase. Students who have
GSR or TA appointments, or merit-based fee awards, will see an increase in their fee remissions or awards to meet the fee increase.

The Financial Aid Office will not be automatically increasing any loan offers to meet the increase. If you do not receive funding to cover the increase, and would like your
loan increased to cover this expense, please email our office at [email protected].

The preliminary billing statements for Winter Quarter 2010 will reflect the fee increase. E-Bills will be sent out on November 22nd. Adjustments to fee remissions and fee awards
will not be reflected on the Winter billing statement, but will be processed in December.

If you have questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Graduate Financial Aid

Thanks for the information! Do you still have the email from President Yudof? I take classes at UCSD right now, but since I'm not matriculated I'm not included in the communication loop.

I've been wondering that stuff too. Are you guys getting furloughed as well? I like the idea of being instate, but the idea of getting 10% furloughs in vet school is not an attractive one to me. I'd rather pay extra and go oos...

I haven't heard anything either.

Did they increase your fees mid-year? I go to UCSD and (thankfully will be finished before) they increased fees by almost $600 effective this winter quarter. Stupid Yudof.

Did they increase your fees mid-year? I go to UCSD and (thankfully will be finished before) they increased fees by almost $600 effective this winter quarter. Stupid Yudof.

I don't know about the vet school, but UCD undergrads and grad students are getting that same fee hike next quarter. ******ed.

I didn't even get my free Aggie Pack shirt. That should be a God-given right with the money I'm paying....:mad:

I didn't even get my free Aggie Pack shirt. That should be a God-given right with the money I'm paying....:mad:

If you go to the very first home football game before all the undergrads get into town that's a good time to get a shirt cause you don't have to get there stupid early!

Actually though I don't like the shirts that much this year..

The furloughs are on non-instruction days.
That's good at least. The profs at SJSU are making a point to make them on class days and lab days so that the students bitch more, in hopes of getting them repealed. The regular undergrads think it's great because it's like random vacation days a few times a month, but christ it irks me to pay more money and have less labs and classes from it. Supposedly the furloughs are just for this year, but I take anything coming out of the UC system with a very large grain of salt.

I thought they were voting on the 19th? I know there's going to be a protest at my school tomorrow about the fee increase, so I thought it hadn't happened yet. The e-mail was just to prepare us for (what they're thinking is) the inevitable. At least, that's what I got from it. I'll admit, I just skimmed it up until the numbers part.

If you go to the very first home football game before all the undergrads get into town that's a good time to get a shirt cause you don't have to get there stupid early!

Actually though I don't like the shirts that much this year..

I was going to do that, but I had work. The shirts are ugly, that's true, but it's the principle of the matter!

we are indeed getting a fee hike next quarter - however we have been told that anyone who submitted a FAFSA will also be getting a grant to cover the cost of this fee hike, for this year at least. I'm guessing that next year it's going to come out of our threadless little pockets. :(

i think one of the main impacts of the economy on UC Davis has been the closing of the Tulare Food Safety Center (uh it has some longer, more important name than that, but I am busy and am not going to look it up). while this doesn't necessarily impact me directly, i was pretty bummed - and a little frightened to hear about it.

still, i think all vet schools are feeling the pinch, and so far it hasn't impacted our day to day classroom lives. fingers crossed!

haha, this is what i'm so busy doing that I can't look up the real name for the Tulare center....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnSnfDitQPw

ANYONE in the area, who wants to come to our AMAZING fundraiser this Saturday, EMAIL ME and I'll get you tickets. It's a "Red Carpet" evening featuring yours truly as the MC, a live band, a Bollywood dance performance, a silent auction, a raffle with GREAT prizes, a HUGE THANKSGIVING DINNER

AND..... THE INFAMOUS TURKEY ROAST VIDEO!!!!!!

get a taste of vet school life, and support the class of 2013!

my email is [email protected] if anyone wants more info.

xoxo

I thought they were voting on the 19th? I know there's going to be a protest at my school tomorrow about the fee increase, so I thought it hadn't happened yet. The e-mail was just to prepare us for (what they're thinking is) the inevitable. At least, that's what I got from it. I'll admit, I just skimmed it up until the numbers part.

Is it not official yet? Our school newspaper and the email sounded like it was for sure...then again I only skimmed the email and was reading the paper in the relative darkness of a lecture hall...

Is it not official yet? Our school newspaper and the email sounded like it was for sure...then again I only skimmed the email and was reading the paper in the relative darkness of a lecture hall...
I don't know anymore! It sounded like it was passed from the e-mail I got, too, but my roommate told me the meeting is Thursday, and she works at Associated Students. There was also a rally at my scool yesterday protesting it, so I kinda assumed that it hadn't passed yet.

A quick Google search only yielded old information (as well as this thread). I deleted the letter I got, and can't remember where I found it on my school's website. We'll find out soon, either way.

I second all of that--except I never bike around at 3am, Starlene;). Every time I say I love UC Davis Vet Med, I have to save "love" three times. Good luck everyone! :luck:

nyanko - i had a love/hate w/davis too, until i started classes... now it is nothing but love love love! once you're in (and i think you will be!), a lot of the impersonal bureaucratic bs goes away.

everyone else - i don't really have anything constructive to say except GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! i'm definitely rooting for you, in between studying for anatomy, studying for p-chem, and organizing our HUGE thanksgiving fundraiser complete with red carpet, live band, paparazzi wall, silent auction, thanksgiving style dinner, AND afterparty....

here are some awesome things i love about davis, to help motivate you through this stressful time:
- seriously amazing anatomy profs (<3 them)
- also seriously amazing radiology profs
- also incredibly hilarious physio chem profs, even if their class is tough and they are crazy, i love them anyway
- TG's - free beer, wine, and bbq every other friday ON CAMPUS!
- the halloween party (uh-mazing)
- the turkey roast (fall fundraiser!)
- really sexy road bikes everywhere
- the most comfortable chairs of any vet school, hands down.
- all-you-can-eat sushi at fuji sushi
- all-you-can-eat indian lunch buffet at kathmandu kitchen
- the fact that i can drop my flipflop while biking around at 3 am and it is still there on the side of the road at noon the next day!

ok well that pretty much sums up (my) life at davis, so GET EXCITED!

good luck!!!!:luck:

Dropping the 2nd Turkey Roast Video teaser on you guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJem_nOhbJE

the 3 dudes walking down the hall are 3 of our physiochem professors.
you can hear "the phantom" dr. cortopassi, singing, towards the end.

the female vocalists are 3 of our amazing classmates.

YES.

So I was on the fence about applying to Davis until I saw this! :love: I think that is the coolest thing ever... Last winter I saw a bunch of his work as an installation in the beautiful Desert Botanical Gardens here in Phoenix. I definitely recommend checking out his stuff to anyone who has never seen it. I think if I could never be a vet I'd learn how be a professional glass blower! :laugh:

Heehee, I see someone I know singing! I'll have to tease her about it on FB. ;) I'd totally go, but I think I'd be a bit overwhelmed being surrounded by a ton of vet students, not to mention I'm stuck in the bay area for a prior commitment, too bad! Have a good one, it sounds like you've all put a lot of effort into making it awesome!

This thread is really making me wish I were a CA resident. :( I applied OOS, but I'm not very optimistic.

Heehee, I see someone I know singing! I'll have to tease her about it on FB. ;) I'd totally go, but I think I'd be a bit overwhelmed being surrounded by a ton of vet students, not to mention I'm stuck in the bay area for a prior commitment, too bad! Have a good one, it sounds like you've all put a lot of effort into making it awesome!

If you are a Berkeley student, I think we know who you're talking about ;)

I got an email today from UC Davis letting me know my application is complete. I kinda freaked out when I got it thinking it was an early rejection. But it wasn't! Anyways here's the email:

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for applying to the University of California, School of Veterinary Medicine. Your transcripts, GRE scores, and letters of evaluation have been received and your application is now considered complete and will be reviewed for admission to our DVM program.

The University of California Office of the President has issued new guidelines on collecting and maintaining race and ethnicity data. This information differs from the VMCAS application and therefore all applicants are required to re-identify their race and ethnic backgrounds by responding to one question on our supplemental survey http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/EthnicSurvey/. This information will not be used to evaluate your application nor will it be factored in our decisions of admission. Please complete the questionnaire as soon as possible but not later than January 15, 2010.

All applicants admitted to our DVM program must be interviewed by the Admissions Committee. If you are granted an interview, you will be notified via email in February. Interviews will be conducted in person at the School of Veterinary Medicine starting mid-February through late March. We anticipate interviewing approximately 220 applicants. All applicants (accepted and denied) will be informed of our final admission decision via email no later than April 1, 2010.

Please keep us informed of your current email address so we may correspond with you. Make sure you allow email from "@ucdavis.edu" to your inbox so that important messages from us will not be filtered out as spam.

Periodically visit our web site at http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms
for announcements and updates regarding the status of the admissions process. If you have questions that are not answered on our website, please contact us at (530) 752-1383. This is not an email which you can reply.

Please note: Our office will be closed December 23, 2009 through January 3, 2010.

Thank you,

Office of the Dean-Student Programs and Admissions
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

I got an email today from UC Davis letting me know my application is complete. I kinda freaked out when I got it thinking it was an early rejection. But it wasn't! Anyways here's the email:

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for applying to the University of California, School of Veterinary Medicine. Your transcripts, GRE scores, and letters of evaluation have been received and your application is now considered complete and will be reviewed for admission to our DVM program.

The University of California Office of the President has issued new guidelines on collecting and maintaining race and ethnicity data. This information differs from the VMCAS application and therefore all applicants are required to re-identify their race and ethnic backgrounds by responding to one question on our supplemental survey http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/EthnicSurvey/. This information will not be used to evaluate your application nor will it be factored in our decisions of admission. Please complete the questionnaire as soon as possible but not later than January 15, 2010.

All applicants admitted to our DVM program must be interviewed by the Admissions Committee. If you are granted an interview, you will be notified via email in February. Interviews will be conducted in person at the School of Veterinary Medicine starting mid-February through late March. We anticipate interviewing approximately 220 applicants. All applicants (accepted and denied) will be informed of our final admission decision via email no later than April 1, 2010.

Please keep us informed of your current email address so we may correspond with you. Make sure you allow email from "@ucdavis.edu" to your inbox so that important messages from us will not be filtered out as spam.

Periodically visit our web site at http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/studentprograms
for announcements and updates regarding the status of the admissions process. If you have questions that are not answered on our website, please contact us at (530) 752-1383. This is not an email which you can reply.

Please note: Our office will be closed December 23, 2009 through January 3, 2010.

Thank you,

Office of the Dean-Student Programs and Admissions
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

**goes to check e-mail and spam** Nothing. :( :scared:

Oh no! They probably haven't gotten to your application yet. At least you didn't get an email saying your application is incomplete.

Oh no! They probably haven't gotten to your application yet. At least you didn't get an email saying your application is incomplete.

Ya that is a good thing. And I am not even going to attempt to figure out how any of these schools work through applications. I will just wait patiently (ya right) while they work through the applications (at a hopefully insanely fast speed). Because pretty soon I am going to do this:

:boom:

**goes to check e-mail and spam** Nothing. :( :scared:

These emails will definitely be spread out over some time, don't worry about it one bit. When I applied the first time, other people were posting here about getting the emails in late October, and I didn't get one until late December.

Nyanko--I say you leaving Scrubs yesterday! I've finally seen you in person. The hair gave you away. :)

FWIW--I never got an email last year letting me know my app was complete, so don't stress if you haven't gotten the email. :luck:

My hair is sort of hard to miss, I guess! :laugh:

I need to fix the roots, less than 2 weeks until I get paid so I can.... :smuggrin:

(for the uninformed, my hair is bright freaking pink, hah)

I just got my confirmation that everything is complete. I guess it's good to know the school didn't evaporate while I wasn't looking, but it feels a little sluggish and dull compared to OSU's pace.

Got mine today too.I agree that Davis should become one of the schools that let us know about interviews before the new year, what do they do with all that time anyway?
I don't think they get any more applicants than other schools, but do they have fewer staff dedicated to getting things rolling?

@Pomona: Yes, sounds like it! I'm so sad I missed it, but it looks like it was a ton of fun! I got to meet a 2nd year Davis student at the Zoo this Saturday, he was really nice and I bugged him constantly with questions. He didn't seem to mind much, and it was nice to hear someone's perspective on everything (mostly the application process).

I got the same email today, which is a relief to know that all my stuff got in ok. Although the ethnicity stuff is interesting, I always hate filling it out as I have a hard time believing race doesn't play a role in the process. I understand that most people applying are caucasian and thus majority of the class will be the same, it's just so "un-diverse" to have over 80% Caucasian in the class, 1 African-American, 3 Hispanic, etc. Oh well, I don't think about it too much. :laugh:

Hey future colleagues!

I haven't been on here for awhile, my apologies but vet school has been kicking my ass! I mean that in a good, challenging way. :)

Unfortunately, Davis is one of the last schools to send out interview invites. Sorry badcats, but I promise you this school is well worth the wait! I had to wait 3x before I got in, so I should know! :rolleyes:

In order to pass your time, feel free to watch this hilarious video a million times. We have awesome everything here, including professors with a GREAT sense of humor!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtsnnJEex0g

Last edited:
Thanks shelterURIgirl, distractions are good, watched starlene's teaser for that but didn't know there was a ful length version! I think impatience stems from knowing that it is such a great school ,which makes waiting harder, but you know what they say about good things and people who wait...

Hopefully it applies to all of us applying this go round:luck:

Thanks shelterURIgirl, distractions are good, watched starlene's teaser for that but didn't know there was a ful length version!

Sadly the full length version of the 2013 Turkey Roast video (~30 min?) has not yet been put on youtube yet. We're all anxiously waiting for that as it was absolutely amazing and filled with many of our fellow SDNers!!!

I sure hope I get an e-mail soon because I've developed a serious e-mail checking OCD! I can't imagine doing this through december! yuck

Last edited:
I sure hope I get an e-mail soon because I've developed a serious e-mail checking OCD! I can't imagine doing this through december! yuck

Just wait until February and March ;)