UC Davis CO 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh I see.. Hmm, yea maybe you have to wait a bit longer for everything to be updated. It says that we have until September 1st to submit everything.

The health form looks like a pretty general one.. It doesn't say anything about vaccinations so I would guess that it's the same for all students in all programs. But yea, it seems that you should update your info anyway.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

hey yall, i finally saw the schedule and saw we have no class on wednesday. i know this was talked about a while back, but do you think it's safe to buy a plane ticket for tues night or should i just wait it out a bit longer? cant believe it's august in a few days!

btw soyjoy, how did you get the calendar onto your iphone?

hey yall, i finally saw the schedule and saw we have no class on wednesday. i know this was talked about a while back, but do you think it's safe to buy a plane ticket for tues night or should i just wait it out a bit longer? cant believe it's august in a few days!

btw soyjoy, how did you get the calendar onto your iphone?

which wednesday are you talking about? the first day of orientation?

about the iphone calendar, i'm not too sure but i think it was updated automatically with the other apps:

https://secure.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/iphone

go to "setup iphone" and follow the directions. hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you have to go to that site ON your iPhone and set it up that way. That's my recollection at least...

oops i should have been more clear. i meant the week of thanksgiving.

thanks guys

I wonder if some current first years (well now second years!!) could answer this. Will VIPER ever put just our schedule up, I mean, to show just the groups that we are in? Or do we basically subscribe to the calendar and then remove or ignore the groups that we are not it?

Also when do they usually tell us our groups?

I am so excited, 4 1/2 weeks away!!!:D

NYANKO "my mom was talking about coming to visit for my 30th (lol) birthday in October."

I am glad to know that there is someone else around my age!! :laugh:

I wonder if some current first years (well now second years!!) could answer this. Will VIPER ever put just our schedule up, I mean, to show just the groups that we are in? Or do we basically subscribe to the calendar and then remove or ignore the groups that we are not it?

Yeah, your individual schedule will be in CERE for you. I don't know when they're going to put the groups up but that's what I've been waiting for since they started putting the schedule up ages ago, haha!

I am glad to know that there is someone else around my age!! :laugh:

There are others too.. ;) (coughquantizedcough)

Also when do they usually tell us our groups?

If it makes you feel any better -- we don't even have our individual schedules yet. I contacted the SVM help desk about that and they indicated that they were working on it and would hopefully have those done within a week or so. So just be patient and realize you're not the only ones in that situation.

As for groups -- they will be posted on VIPER once they're set up. Click STUDENTS and then on the left panel click STUDENT GROUPS.

There are others too.. ;) (coughquantizedcough)
ouch :(

We can talk about which nkotb guy was the hottest (Donny!), why telnet was the best for school email, and complain about our broken hips and failing eyesight!

I am as old as nyanko. Wait, did I just say that.

I thought I was old. I just turned 29; you guys are making me feel young;). Seriously though, it'll be nice having some fellow elderly classmates.

Hahahaha...

I am so happy that there are so many of us oldies! =) I will be turning 29 in September. And yes I would love to talk about my bad eyes and poor hearing...

Wait did someone say something?

1 month!!!! :love:

I feel good to be in the "older" crowd (I'm 26). I still wonder what its going to be like surrounded by eager 22 year olds...

I'm in Woodland if anyone is interested in getting together!! I still haven't met any 2014ers! I hear there's a great dive bar (the Stag) with pool in Woodland, but I also have a car and can travel to Davis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would totally meet up but I'm not moving up until the last possible minute :(

How's Woodland?

I'd be willing to host a BBQ if anyone is interested. We're on the road to winters; not exactly a central location but we lucked out and found an awesome house.

I'm willing to meet up and do whatever - I don't have a grill but I am in West Davis and have a little back yard and a front yard.

The only thing is that I'm a bit erratic and flighty until I get this thesis turned in (trying really hard to have it to my committee by the end of this upcoming weekend), and then I have a hockey tournament in Vacaville the next weekend. If anyone wants to come and see some women's ice hockey.... :laugh:

But hopefully after the tournament the thesis will be in final stages of revision and maybe I'll be more committal to things. As it is right now I am sitting here running a bunch of data when a friend of mine who's leaving for the semester to Australia is having a going away party. :rolleyes:

edit: I also don't have a car so Winters and Woodland are a little far...

I'd be down for getting together (despite being a 2013er) and I am sure there will be events involving food at my place that you all will be invited to :)

I'm game too. I'm half-assedly moving over the next few weeks, but I'll be around - probably permanantly after the 15th or so. I'm working on the whole patio furniture and grill part of the equation....all a matter of time and finding a way to move it via my vw!

I'd give you a ride, nyanko, as long as you don't mock the mightiness of the golf.

I would totally meet up but I'm not moving up until the last possible minute :(

Me too, Soyjoy. I will be arriving in Davis at approximately 5 PM on August 31, haha. This is definitely going to be a whirlwind for a lot of us, but we can laugh about it together :laugh:

We should do a BBQ on the 4th of September. This way it is a couple of days into orientation, and the 2013ers haven't started classes yet. It can be a SDN meet n'greet! hahahaha.

I don't move up until the 28th of August, so I probably can't do much until that weekend.

Davis-Berkeley football game in Berkeley that day!

I'm down for the 5th maybe though?

edit: quantized I won't make fun of any car that gets me from one place to another!

Me too, Soyjoy. I will be arriving in Davis at approximately 5 PM on August 31, haha. This is definitely going to be a whirlwind for a lot of us, but we can laugh about it together :laugh:

Yea, I'm sure it'll all be worth it.. I'm hoping to arrive in Davis no later than 10pm! Lol

I'm down for the 5th maybe though?

Oh, that is true! So now we need to find somewhere to do it, time, etc. Can anyone else meet up on the 5th???

Hahahaha...

I am so happy that there are so many of us oldies! =) I will be turning 29 in September. And yes I would love to talk about my bad eyes and poor hearing...

Wait did someone say something?

1 month!!!! :love:

Can we add "bad back" to that list of old-people complaints? :)

Oh, and Joey was TOTALLY the cutest member of NKOTB. I'm going to marry him. Just don't tell my husband...

I think we're really close to finding out our actual schedules - complete with groups. On VIPER there is a long list of our names under the students tab, and the other vet classes (V2 and V3) have their groups published. How exciting :thumbup:

I can only see/find the syllabi from cardio anatomy and the orientation class :confused:

Are the other classes listed for you? (hint: click on the My Workspace tab and look at your memberships.)

You can add more tabs to the top of your CERE window by clicking the Preferences link under the My Workspace tab and changing the number that are visible, and you can re-order the tabs. Or if you click on the Active Sites tab if you have one, they will all be listed. You're in the section list for the rest of them so you're added to them. :)

Are the other classes listed for you? (hint: click on the My Workspace tab and look at your memberships.)

You can add more tabs to the top of your CERE window by clicking the Preferences link under the My Workspace tab and changing the number that are visible, and you can re-order the tabs. Or if you click on the Active Sites tab if you have one, they will all be listed. You're in the section list for the rest of them so you're added to them. :)
Thaaaaaanks for giving me that look into the pchem syllabus.

I'm gonna go hurl now.

Thaaaaaanks for giving me that look into the pchem syllabus.

I'm gonna go hurl now.

Haha...I was thinking the same thing!!!! And it is one of the few classes that we are in all quarter too. :eek:

I hope we get our groups today. Then my schedule will be complete.

When I saw my name on the group list last night I got so giddy! Like now it is real because my name is on the class list or something....nerd.
:)

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom, Nyan!!! I can tell I'm going to have a LOT to learn about this foreign computing system, on top of all the vet-related stuff. I hope that's a part of Orientation :oops:

In other news, our groups are now posted on VIPER!!! 1A2A is gonna rock the house (or should I say lab?) :D

2A1A, inverse ;)

edit: You'll pick it up quick, don't worry. They do have an intro to it in the orientation, I think, and classes will use it a lot so you'll learn out of necessity if nothing else.

Last edited:
2A2A very easy to remember... looks like im spending a little time with both of you :).

Wooohooo!! I am a dork and LOVE the idea of Physiological Chemistry. Might have something to do with my interest in nutrition and ruminants/pseudoruminants. Totally geeking out. Who wants to be my study partner for this class??

So we're having a get together Sept 5th? When, where? Details please!

Ok, maybe a little less crack from now on.

I think we are all geeking out! 1A1B here and I am super excited to move up and start classes. This may change two weeks in.

And I am up for something on the 5th, if we do a BBQ would it be a potluck thing?

1B2A!!!! But I'm slightly jealous you all are 2A__. Does anyone know what exactly the group numbers mean.

I think a poluck (I meant potluck, but thought I should keep the spelling as poluck, since we will all be po'!!!) would be great!!!

Or we could do a BBQ with a BYOM??? (Bring your own meat/veggies)

Has anyone uploaded their schedule into iCal or Outlook yet? I have been drooling over it all day! The classes don't overlap anymore, so I guess that it is our personal schedule now!! :love:

Oh and I am totally down for study groups, especially for PChem. :soexcited:

P.S. still love the smileys and !!!!!!!

1B2A!!!! But I'm slightly jealous you all are 2A__. Does anyone know what exactly the group numbers mean.

So for the groups. The first number and letter are what matters most. I believe all 1's stick together for labs where the class is split into two groups (same thing for 2's). The only reason the whole group number matters is that everyone else who is in your group (i.e. all of the 2A1A's) will be spending a LOT of time with you during orientation. This is a good thing because you guys get to bond (awww) and two of the people in that group will be your anatomy lab partners and that entire group (like 15 people) often does smaller group labs together. That's a brief abbreviated version of my understanding of the system. I could be wrong...

I think a poluck (I meant potluck, but thought I should keep the spelling as poluck, since we will all be po'!!!) would be great!!!

Or we could do a BBQ with a BYOM??? (Bring your own meat/veggies)

I'm cool with whatever on the 5th. I'm um, not the best with time management or cooking but we'll see, haha...

Has anyone uploaded their schedule into iCal or Outlook yet? I have been drooling over it all day! The classes don't overlap anymore, so I guess that it is our personal schedule now!! :love:

Yeah, I got mine into iCal and set it up to sync with my Google calendars so I can access it on my Android phone and it updates. All of a sudden the next couple months look a lot more full than they did before.. :smuggrin:

you guys should post this stuff on the facebook page! start a thread or something. i don't have a fb, but the page is public, so even those of us who don't have one can see posts and discussions. i feel like that's where most people in our class look, so more people would know about it and maybe show up :)

2B1B here! Just transferred my schedule to ical.. :laugh:

How hard is it to get tickets for this game, and what is the process to do so? Could we all go together as a group, carpooling and all? Sounds like it'd be a really fun way to celebrate being Davis students -- especially because my undergrad had a horrible team and I only went to one game despite being a huge football fan :p

I've been procrastinating it, but on Monday I am going to go to the ticket office and see if there are student tickets left - I think they're $25 each, and I will ask if incoming students are eligible to buy them as well and let you guys know!

I'm taking an out of town friend with me, but I think trying to get a group of us together to go is a great idea too!

PS: don't expect too much out of UCD's team either, at least against Cal...although they did manage to take down Stanford at their home stadium in 2005! :D

Also home games are fun because of the Aggie Pack!

Nyan, I'd love to hear what you find out about the tickets, and if anyone else is interested :) I'm not expecting a great football team -- I'm just excited that I'm not at a Division III school anymore. Whether or not Davis is good, at least they'll be playing good teams :laugh:

Just a quick hi and congratulations to the UC Davis folks. I'm a 44 year old Berkeley guy (living here, nothing to do with UC) making my way out of the finance field and hopefully to Davis in a couple of years, applying next year. I figure they've gotten enough of my tax money the last twenty years, the least they could do is admit me with my marginal academic statistics. If you see a wrinkly bald guy entering as a first year in 2012, you'll know I was successful. Seriously, congratulations and I hope to be in your shoes and if there are any non-traditional career changers in there I'd love to hear from you.

How hard is it to get tickets for this game, and what is the process to do so? Could we all go together as a group, carpooling and all? Sounds like it'd be a really fun way to celebrate being Davis students -- especially because my undergrad had a horrible team and I only went to one game despite being a huge football fan :p

my undergrad didn't even HAVE a football team! sounds exciting :laugh:

You keep telling yourself that Quantized, and remind me who's won the Axe 7 times in 8 years? ;)

I don't know who to cheer for, Cal or Davis? Part of me wants to cheer for my alma mater because I'm pretty sure we'll crush Davis, but I'm an Aggie now and I've got to show pride. Maybe I can just cheer for both, it's a win-win for me either way. :p

AuRevoirFinance - good luck! There's lots of non-trads here, I'm sure they'd be happy to share their stories, advice, etc.

my undergrad didn't even HAVE a football team! sounds exciting :laugh:

You must have gone to SD! Those "Still Undefeated" shirts always make me smile. My dad went there, and I nearly did myself . . .