UBC Pharmacy 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called margaret again today, and she said she would be sending emails at the end of this week. Sighh...she keeps changing what she says.

wow, it is not professional for them to not have given you an answer yet. i hope you get good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I thought I would post the average scores of the 2007 admitted class here; it might serve as a good reference point. Note: this was included in the ranking information sent by Margaret.

Academic Average: 79.8%

PCAT-Composite Percentile: 89%

Pharmacy Application: (References, Resume, Personal Statements) 58

Interview Score: 83%

PS: hope people on the waitlist get good news soon!

Hey guys, I thought I would post the average scores of the 2007 admitted class here; it might serve as a good reference point. Note: this was included in the ranking information sent by Margaret.

Academic Average: 79.8%

PCAT-Composite Percentile: 89%

Pharmacy Application: (References, Resume, Personal Statements) 58

Interview Score: 83%

PS: hope people on the waitlist get good news soon!

thanks

i'm trying for pharm next year and these stats are good

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey starstrike, do you mind telling me your ranking among the interviewed applicants?

Hey Buttercup, I never actually asked for my ranking information. Frankly, I don't wanna know lol......Have you heard anything back from UBC as of yet or are you still waiting it out?

Hey Buttercup, I never actually asked for my ranking information. Frankly, I don't wanna know lol......Have you heard anything back from UBC as of yet or are you still waiting it out?

Yea..I did and I got rejected :(

Yea..I did and I got rejected :(

Aww, that really sucks. You had to wait so long and then they tell you that you are not accepted. I know how you feel. I went through that process last year. But to tell you the truth, one year is not that long. Just remember the interview questions. Are you applying again next year?

guys , to those who are accepted...how many courses do u take each semester....do u take summer courses.... if u dont take summer courses WHAT DO U DO(university-related stuff obviously:laugh:)... are u able to finish the bach program in 3 years by taking so many courses instead of some...

does anybody know how many people form pharmacy yearly get into med UBC? since med accepts many from pharmacy does that mean pharmacy student's GPA's can be lower than other people with other undergrads...:p

guys , to those who are accepted...how many courses do u take each semester....do u take summer courses.... if u dont take summer courses WHAT DO U DO(university-related stuff obviously:laugh:)... are u able to finish the bach program in 3 years by taking so many courses instead of some...

does anybody know how many people form pharmacy yearly get into med UBC? since med accepts many from pharmacy does that mean pharmacy student's GPA's can be lower than other people with other undergrads...:p

well for me.... i try to spread out my work load as much as possible. if a course is offered in the summer, i tend to take it. for example, last summer i took microbio 202 and this summer i took biochem 302. i think getting a good mark is more important than finishing a course fast. (since you can't retake courses, unless you fail...) ... how do you know med school accepts many pharmacy students? i think that is generally frowned upon (unless you finish pharmacy, then apply to medical school)...are you planning to use pharmacy as a stepping stone into medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
well for me.... i try to spread out my work load as much as possible. if a course is offered in the summer, i tend to take it. for example, last summer i took microbio 202 and this summer i took biochem 302. i think getting a good mark is more important than finishing a course fast. (since you can't retake courses, unless you fail...) ... how do you know med school accepts many pharmacy students? i think that is generally frowned upon (unless you finish pharmacy, then apply to medical school)...are you planning to use pharmacy as a stepping stone into medical school?

i believe a LOT of people will actually use pharmacy as stepping stone to med... :mad:

i actually have no ideaa. and i dont know what i m gonna do REALLY. my GPA is 82 so far and i have 2 semesters to get my associates...if i can bring up my gpa to 85 then i would reject the pharmacy school offer(if accepted)because i dont wanna waste my time for another two years since i've already done 2 years of my bach. then i would go to SFU(if my gpa is 85-because the average GPA for ppl who got in med UBC is 84-85)then study 2 years to get my MBB then apply to med. BUT THE HARD PART IS if i get accepted into pharmacy it would be a hard decision to accept their offer or not to. and again if i dont get accepted to MED after SFU, i would have to go back and apply to pharmacyyy...UUUUUUHHH

may i ask where you took ur biochem 302 and microbioligy 202 and what the prereqz were because my college doesnt seem to have those 2.

i actually have no ideaa. and i dont know what i m gonna do REALLY. my GPA is 82 so far and i have 2 semesters to get my associates...if i can bring up my gpa to 85 then i would reject the pharmacy school offer(if accepted)because i dont wanna waste my time for another two years since i've already done 2 years of my bach. then i would go to SFU(if my gpa is 85-because the average GPA for ppl who got in med UBC is 84-85)then study 2 years to get my MBB then apply to med. BUT THE HARD PART IS if i get accepted into pharmacy it would be a hard decision to accept their offer or not to. and again if i dont get accepted to MED after SFU, i would have to go back and apply to pharmacyyy...UUUUUUHHH

may i ask where you took ur biochem 302 and microbioligy 202 and what the prereqz were because my college doesnt seem to have those 2.

i find it confusing with what you're saying. why would you reject pharmacy if you might get accepted into the program? why don't you just not apply in the first place? it will save you money and time, and a chance for other people who really wants to be pharmacists a chance. although you have completed two years of your bachelors, pharmacy and medical school is a 4 year program. how would pharmacy school waste more time over medical school? it seems to me, although i can be wrong, that you're more interested in medical school than pharmacy. you're marks are quite competitive... if you feel confident about your marks and extracurriculars, you should just apply to medical school.

i took my biochem 302 and microbio 202 at UBC.
biochem prereq: i believe bio 201, chem 233 and chem 205
microbio 202: bio 112 (bio 200 recommended)

why would you reject pharmacy if you
might get accepted into the program? why don't you just not
apply in the first place?

because if i apply to pharmacy and dont get accepted, it means
dont even think about med since it is more competetive than
pharm.

although you have completed two years of
your bachelors, pharmacy and medical school is a 4 year program.
how would pharmacy school waste more time over medical
school?

what i was sayin was that i dont like to go to pharmacy as a
back up plan ,then transfer to med, since it would be somebody's
spot who really wants to be a pharmacist, besides, it would be a long
wayyy.

2 years prepharm + 4 years pharm + 4 years MEd

but if i jus do a simple bachelors other than pharm, it would be

4 years undergrad at SFU + 4 years MED

see i saved 2 years there

ooooh, i wont be able to take those courses since i'm not at UBC:cool:

tnXX

Do we have to take all 37 credits in first year (only winter term?)
Can we spread out the work load and take some courses (out of that 37 credits) in summer session after the first year? so it will be during May to Aug in 2008. I want to take some elective courses to spread out the work load but it is really difficult to fit in becuz required courses are already alot!

because if i apply to pharmacy and dont get accepted, it means
dont even think about med since it is more competetive than
pharm.

what i was sayin was that i dont like to go to pharmacy as a
back up plan ,then transfer to med, since it would be somebody's
spot who really wants to be a pharmacist, besides, it would be a long
wayyy.

2 years prepharm + 4 years pharm + 4 years MEd

but if i jus do a simple bachelors other than pharm, it would be

4 years undergrad at SFU + 4 years MED

see i saved 2 years there

ooooh, i wont be able to take those courses since i'm not at UBC:cool:

tnXX

UBCvan

in the long run, if u really wanted to be a doctor, 2 yrs "wasted" vs 40yrs of working life... u do the math :p

many ppl enter med school in their 30s, after education diploma, masters or even PhD's. It definitely isn't a walk in the park... but if u have the aspirations to be a doctor, have a good plan B b/c it IS tough to get into med school... but in the end u'd wanna know that u really really tried...and not just 'settled for pharmacy'.

Do we have to take all 37 credits in first year (only winter term?)
Can we spread out the work load and take some courses (out of that 37 credits) in summer session after the first year? so it will be during May to Aug in 2008. I want to take some elective courses to spread out the work load but it is really difficult to fit in becuz required courses are already alot!

Do you mean first year of pharmacy?

If that's your question, the answer is no. You are allowed to put some courses in the summer, in fact, most ppl finish their electives in the summer. It's a good idea to talk to the advisors before making a big decision.

Thanks Katherinex
you've been really helpful.
do you know how long the ceremony is?

Can't remember exactly how long it was, but I think it was a couple of hours maximum...

The White Coat Ceremony is 2 hours for those still wondering.

Once again I would like to say congrats and good luck to all those that got in this year. To those who didn't, don't give up, if pharmacy is what you truly want to do then go back and make yourself a competitive applicant and try again. Take the pcat again, volunteer more etc., do whatever you possibly can. With a little hard work and good luck, you make it:)

Is anyone going to the pharmacy orientation?

Is anyone going to the pharmacy orientation?

Nah, I don't think I'll be going. I've beem in the campus for 3 years now. I know my way aroun pretty well. Let me know how it goes.

The White Coat Ceremony is 2 hours for those still wondering.

Once again I would like to say congrats and good luck to all those that got in this year. To those who didn't, don't give up, if pharmacy is what you truly want to do then go back and make yourself a competitive applicant and try again. Take the pcat again, volunteer more etc., do whatever you possibly can. With a little hard work and good luck, you make it:)

Exactly!!! Don't give up. Learn from your mistakes and see what kind of things you can work on. The best thing to do is ask Margaret how you scored on each section, and see what kind of things need improvement. Last year, it was my interview. This year I made sure I nailed my interview. I had mock interviews with my friends which really helped. If you remember the interview questions, it would be a good idea to write them down, as they really like to recycle questions. I would say last year interview and this year interview --> 80% of the questions were quite similar. This is my second time around, and honest too god.. although another year seems really long, it ACTUALLY goes by really fast..i mean the new application forms come out in 3 months...good luck everyone who will be applying next year..

another thing about the white coat ceremony...
i would recommend students and their guests to eat before the ceremony.. it's going to be two hours long..and they are only providing drinks and cheese/crackers...small food. that is not going to fill me up... just a heads up.. that was the response when i asked them about food.. i think i care more about the food than the ceremony... :laugh:

another thing about the white coat ceremony...
i would recommend students and their guests to eat before the ceremony.. it's going to be two hours long..and they are only providing drinks and cheese/crackers...small food. that is not going to fill me up... just a heads up.. that was the response when i asked them about food.. i think i care more about the food than the ceremony... :laugh:

Duly noted Tungster. I'm only going to the ceremony for the free food:laugh: j/j Hopefully it'll be an interesting ceremony. I don't want to end up falling asleep while the dean gives a speech lol

has anyone done their assignment yet by job shadowing a pharmacist? please share your experiences. do they mark hard for the report ?

has anyone done their assignment yet by job shadowing a pharmacist? please share your experiences. do they mark hard for the report ?

hey wut is the assignment of job shadowing a pharmacist?
Is it like wut we have to do this summer before we go to pharm 1st year?

I did this last summer.

Call a local pharmacy, introduce yourself and ask to speak to the pharmacist (or pharmacy manager), chances are, they're familiar with this assignment.

Make sure you bring the list of questions for the pharmacist, and the confidentiality agreement (Marion should've sent instructions).

You don't have to ask every single question on the list, but it's probably a good idea to do so since it really helps you with the report. Note that if you have oodles of pharmacy experience, you may not need to ask too many questions, but if you are like me (knew almost nada about pharmacy before gettin in the faculty), then I would recommend that you ask all the questions on the list, and perhaps add a few of your own. Also, it's a good idea to write down your thoughts etc., especially if you don't plan to write your report right away, don't wanna forget anything.

For my assignment, the entire things was 3-4 hours, and yes, I did ask every single question on the list, also added my own. I chose to go on a "slow" day, I didn't wanna get in the way, going on a slow day allowed the pharmacist more time for my questions.

Really simple assignment, possibly the easiest thing you'll ever have to do! As long as you do put some thought when you're writing the report, a 4 out of 5 is practically guaranteed. Make sure you answer the specific questions for the report, don't go off and write a uber long essay!

Don't leave this till September, trust me, you'll have other things to worry about~

hey wut is the assignment of job shadowing a pharmacist?
Is it like wut we have to do this summer before we go to pharm 1st year?

The report isn't due till late Oct - early Nov or something, but you'll have other things to worry about by that time, so get it done early if you can~

just curious... does this report worth a lot? like 5% of the course?

The report isn't due till late Oct - early Nov or something, but you'll have other things to worry about by that time, so get it done early if you can~

where do we get the instruction of this assignment? like how long my report should be...or list of questions we ask...etc.
I did not get any e-mail or anything from Marion :( and i think Marion is on vacation now.

Also, if i volunteer in local pharmacy, can i just do it there? or does it have to be other local pharmacy?

Wow, I can't believe the summer is almost over. There's only two more weeks left until school starts and until we'll all be seeing each other:cool: Have any of you already bought/pre-ordered your textbooks?

Wow, I can't believe the summer is almost over. There's only two more weeks left until school starts and until we'll all be seeing each other:cool: Have any of you already bought/pre-ordered your textbooks?

i know. i can't believe school is starting really soon. i only preordered one book. i hope they are not doing anything "special" on the very first day of school. i will be arriving back from montreal on the 4th.

i know. i can't believe school is starting really soon. i only preordered one book. i hope they are not doing anything "special" on the very first day of school. i will be arriving back from montreal on the 4th.

I don't think there is anything important except the BBQ!;)

Hey everyone,
Congratulations to all those who got into UBC pharmacy this year :hardy: !
I got into UBC pharmacy this year and I look forward to meeting you all.

Best of luck to those who didn't make it this year or will be applying next year :luck:.

Did everyone find SDN as helpful as I did when I applied for pharmacy?

I'm dreading the end of summer but I also can't wait to start pharmacy:).

Cheers

im not really nervous right now. But i will be if i get an interview..

Also I have an update on my stats

GPA- 3.8
PCAT-89
EC's-Hospital Pharmacy experience, volunteering, etc... (enough to get me in :)

I am confident I will get in...:thumbup:

Hi x) I'm hoping to apply for UBC pharmacy Fall 2008. I've looked all over for hospital pharmacy expericence, but didn't have any luck. Will you please let me know where you went to get your hospital pharmacy experience? Also, will we know our GPA by the end of April? Thank you so much.

Hi x) I'm hoping to apply for UBC pharmacy Fall 2008. I've looked all over for hospital pharmacy expericence, but didn't have any luck. Will you please let me know where you went to get your hospital pharmacy experience? Also, will we know our GPA by the end of April? Thank you so much.

Hey HaroTaro,

I do not know where you can get hospital pharmacy experience, unfortunately but I doubt you will know your GPA by the end of April. I'm a UBC student and most of my exams were written in the last 2 weeks of April. It takes a few weeks for exams to be marked.

Cheers

clozapineRx: So what do you think I should do regarding to sending my final transcripts before the deadline?

Is it harder to get in as a first-year? Did UBC established percentages of the type of students accepted each year(by that I meant eg. each year, UBC would admit 10 % of first year, 3% of Out-of-Province etc.)

Thanks.

Are there any students who got in pharmaceutical science program w/out being request for an interview because I know that there are some pharmacy college that only interview some of the students(that might have been on the borderline)?

Are there any students who got in pharmaceutical science program w/out being request for an interview because I know that there are some pharmacy college that only interview some of the students(that might have been on the borderline)?

Hey HaroTaro, first I'll answer your question about the academic average. The transcript deadline for your grades is usually June 15th, so as long as everything is done by then, it will be counted for that admission cycle, so you need not worry about that. As for being admitted to the program without receiving the interview, that's not possible. Everyone who got admitted received and interview, at least at UBC. What happens is that about 600+ people apply and from that they choose 250-300 of the best applicants and invite them for an interview and from that they select the best 140-150 students (from the ones that received an interview). What they take into consideration is your gpa, pcat score, supplemental application (including your essays and references) and the interview itself. If you get to the interview stage of the admission cycle then you're almost at the finish line; I've heard that the interview holds a lot of weight when final selections are made, so the moral is, don't take the interview lightly, be prepared....but don't memorize quotes and lines, you don't wanna sound like you're reading instructions from a cardboard box.

Cheers

starstrike: You're the best! Thanks for all of your help x)

guys i just realized that the manager of the pharmacy i'm volunteering at is one of the interviewrs at UBC... she was interviewing on past wednesday..i was shocked:eek:....now i have to behave myself :D

Can you tell me at which pharmacy you got your volunteering position? It seems as if it's almost impossible to find a pharmacy volunteering position in Richmond & Vancouver TT____TT How did you apply for it? Thanks

===================+++++++++===============
Who did you guys ask for your reference letter?

starstrike: You're the best! Thanks for all of your help x)

No problem buddy :)

Now I got a question for the student's who got accepted for this fall. Did anyone receive a confirmation reply for the white coat ceremony? I got the initial email asking for my name and the names of my two guests, however i still haven't received a reply confirming that my place has been held.

HaroTaro:

Starstrike is bang on about the admissions process. The interview is massive. The admissions process is a two stage process. In the first portion, your grades, PCAT score and written application (resume, references, and personal statements are evaluated). I think the split was

50% grades
30% resume
10% personal statement
10% PCAT score.

If you make this cutoff, you are invited to an interview.

After the interview, the weighting shifts to

40% interview
50% grades
10% references, extracurrics, PCAT (all combined)

These are just rough numbers that I have heard quoted. If you look at earlier posts in the UBC 2007 forum, many of your questions about admissions were answered. If you can't find what you're looking for, you're welcome to ask. I might not know the answer, though.

Starstrike:

I didn't get a confirmation email about the Whitecoat Ceremony. I guess it's all good?

i'm pretty sure they know it. i didn't get a confirmation reply. however, when i replied back to their email, i asked if there was going to be food. they replied back through my email, which means they received it.

So, how many volunteer jobs did you guys have? Did you guys have like one very stable volunteer position for a long time, several positions each of a period of time, or just several positions? And what are they?

Thanks