UBC Pharmacy 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still waiting...:(
it's almost 3pm...and there's still no reply.

Hey Buttercup, try calling Margaret, she's in her office now. Ask her for an update on your status and when you expect to find out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey starstrike, have you heard anything yet or gotten anything in your email? Cuz, I still haven't received anything yet.

Hey starstrike, have you heard anything yet or gotten anything in your email? Cuz, I still haven't received anything yet.

hey buttercup, no I haven't heard anything yet as well. This wait is extremely stressing:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
not to worry you guys... but what a coincidence that u guys r both on the waitlist? I also know another friend that still haven't received an email yet...and I wonder how many more out there are in your position? and how many ppl'd actually reject the offer?

But at any rate, that means you guys have really high ranking and that's a good thing!

I wish they wouldda done in a better fashion so you guys ain't stressed out like that... but anyways, good luck! :thumbup:

Hey buttercup/starstrike

my friend called Margaret yesterday and she said whoever hasn't received a reply yet is on the wait-list.

However, she said the wait list contains quite a few people, and they are actually having a problem right now with the people who are already accepted b/c I think a few of them didn't indicate that they will accept the offer before the deadline is up, and I think the admission committee is now deciding if they should 1) let people accept the offer even tho it's past the deadline or 2) let the waitlist people take the spot

either way u won't find out for quite a few more days!

just a heads up :thumbup: personally I think if u didn't care enough to check your email on time, then u lose out :smuggrin:

this thread is getting dead..:D

i think it's dead because the admission for 2007 is over. interviews have been done, acceptance emails have been done...there is nothing new... there is nothing else to talk about...

i think your forum worked really well..many people are in here...but i still need such forum for the next year application cuz i'm applyin next year.

i hope this forums stays like this for next year.:D

i think your forum worked really well..many people are in here...but i still need such forum for the next year application cuz i'm applyin next year.

i hope this forums stays like this for next year.:D

any more results come out yet?

Wow really?!?!?!?
Uh man, kudos to you. They must let you in since you have been waiting so long. Best of luck.

Nothing for me too :(. I heard it's possible that they inform you about your admission to the program 1 week before school starts. This has actually happened to this friend of my coworker. I hope this won't happen to us, otherwise it would be pretty terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it would especially if you have made plans. :S

Hey Buttercup, have you heard anything back from the school as of yet? I haven't heard anything. Personally, I think this is getting a little silly. How long can it take?:mad:

jus to get this going again..:laugh:

haha, good job UBCVan.
Let's see how long we can keep this up for. Maybe till next year. I think some of the info that was discussed in this forum will be helpful for next year applicants.

Has anyone asked for their ranking?

Also, are people doing the visitation assignment?

guys i have a questions:

i ve taken some computer course and spanish course at my college. they are transferable to UBC. can i use them as my electives for the 2nd or 3rd year UBC once i get into UBC OR they are useless and i have to take other electives IN UBC?i'm asking this because i thought that UBC only accepts the 30 credits prereqZ plus organic micro and stat. tnx

oooooooooooh also one more thing:laugh:

is academic advising available at UBC pharmacy before the new sem begins. i really need help.:thumbup:

Has anyone asked for their ranking?

Also, are people doing the visitation assignment?

I think I will do the clinical visitation this summer to get it out of the way (not the hospital one since I live in Vancouver). But I don't know exactly what we are doing. Are we job shadowing a pharmacist for 4 hours or something?

guys i have a questions:

i ve taken some computer course and spanish course at my college. they are transferable to UBC. can i use them as my electives for the 2nd or 3rd year UBC once i get into UBC OR they are useless and i have to take other electives IN UBC?i'm asking this because i thought that UBC only accepts the 30 credits prereqZ plus organic micro and stat. tnx

oooooooooooh also one more thing:laugh:

is academic advising available at UBC pharmacy before the new sem begins. i really need help.:thumbup:

hmmm, you should definitely double check. i am not even sure what courses they took to get my average for pharmacy. you can email margaret, the admission lady. she is really helpful. but email her at the end of the month as she is really busy. she told me to email her at the end of the month.

Hey starstrike, I still haven't gotten anything from Margaret. Lets hope that we are not going to be informed by Margaret 1/2 weeks before school starts.

Hey starstrike, I still haven't gotten anything from Margaret. Lets hope that we are not going to be informed by Margaret 1/2 weeks before school starts.

Hey buttercup and starstrike, did you guys get the e-mail from Margaret about the waitlist? I got e-mail from her that I am in the waitlist, but l am still waiting for offer! keke..hope that we all can get the spots!

I looked at the SST in phmaracy 1st year program and there is some spots left. It says Section F is still available. I m not sure if there are actually people who are offered to reserve the spot but did not register the 1year program in Pharmacy yet.

this waiting is killing me! :mad:

I think I will do the clinical visitation this summer to get it out of the way (not the hospital one since I live in Vancouver). But I don't know exactly what we are doing. Are we job shadowing a pharmacist for 4 hours or something?

Pretty much, yes. You get a list of questions for the pharmacist, these questions are there to help you with the report (you write the report after your visitation, and it is due in the middle-ish of first term). This assignment is 5% of your grade for PHAR202 course (unless they change it this year).

Very simple stuff, it's almost a matter of handing it in on time, and didn't just make things up, you'll get at least 4/5~

But the visitations are a good chance for you to learn more about the profession, especially if you are like me - knew almost nada :p

For the hospital visitation, if you live in Vancouver, then you will be assigned to a hospital along with 5-7 students from your class. Some time in one of your PHAR202 classes, you'll get to choose the location preference (of the hospital). Your visitation will not interfere with your classes since they are placed during one of your PHAR202 class slots:) Again, you get a list of questions, and you need to write a report that's due on the same day as the one for community visitation.

wow thank you so much katherine. that was really informative.

wow thank you so much katherine. that was really informative.

just got my community pharmacy assignment today in the email.. requesting for my hospital one as well

wow, there are still people who have not heard anything from pharmacy yet.

did you call margaret about this? wow....i wonder what the hold up is.... good luck starstrike =)

just got my community pharmacy assignment today in the email.. requesting for my hospital one as well

me too. i dont really know where to go. i live in vancouver, so i probably have to do the hospital visitation in the fall.

me too. i dont really know where to go. i live in vancouver, so i probably have to do the hospital visitation in the fall.

Just got all my rank information !! ask margaret now and see how you did

did you call margaret about this? wow....i wonder what the hold up is.... good luck starstrike =)

Yeah I did on numerous occasions. They said they're still finalizing the space allocation for the following year to see exactly how many seats they're going to have. She said that they're very busy at the moment but they hope to have answer soon.............Unfortunately, soon isn't soon enough.

Just got all my rank information !! ask margaret now and see how you did

oh wow...hmm..i think i am going to ask...i hope i am not at the end of the line..like 148 or something..... how did you do fungmanx?

hmmm...she told to ask again at the end of july....

Yeah I did on numerous occasions. They said they're still finalizing the space allocation for the following year to see exactly how many seats they're going to have. She said that they're very busy at the moment but they hope to have answer soon.............Unfortunately, soon isn't soon enough.

did they tell you exactly how many students have got accepted...and how many seats are available?

did they tell you exactly how many students have got accepted...and how many seats are available?

No she didn't unfortunately, which is why it's even more frustrating because there's no clear cut answer.

@buttercup

Have you received any response from the school yet?

noo i didn't =(.

I would be hurt if Margaret ends up telling me that i am not admitted since this waiting is so long. I think i should ask her for the ranking too, and see where I am at.

I think I am rejected :(

I emailed Margaret to ask her for the ranking list, and she said that the chances of admitting anyone else from the waitlist is very very low, and the program has been all filled. Furthermore, she will be sending emails to the waitlisted applicants in the beginning of next week. Can anyone tell me what is on the ranking list? Margaret didn't send it me =(

I emailed Margaret to ask her for the ranking list, and she said that the chances of admitting anyone else from the waitlist is very very low, and the program has been all filled. Furthermore, she will be sending emails to the waitlisted applicants in the beginning of next week. Can anyone tell me what is on the ranking list? Margaret didn't send it me =(
I feel your pain. I was rejected after the interview last year, but the ranking list she sent out helped me to figure out what to focus on the most to get in this year. Last year the ranking list included your overall position out of the total group of interviewed applicants, plus your score compared with the average score of the admitted class in four catagories: academic average, PCAT score, supplemental materials, and interview score. If you ask her she should be able to tell you the weight assigned to each of the categories used in this year's admission index.
Good luck.

hey pharmageddon,
did you apply again this year?

aww... i'm sorry to hear about that buttercup.. but you never know...they still haven't given you a definite yes or no..so don't lose all your faith! this is so cruel of them to leave you hanging like that...

yes i applied last year and asked for my ranking. supposedly this is how everything was weighted. it could be different this year.

Grades: 50%
Interview: 40%
PCAT, resume, references etc: 10%
--> as you can see, the most important things to focus on are your grades and the interview. the pcat does not worth too much. i know some people who got accepted with low 70's on their pcats.

i know it might be really frustrating, but you have to remember...if you don't get accepted it's not the end of the world. it's just there are some more obstacles to overcome. you have to be open-minded and flexible in these types of situations. and that one year is not too long to wait...it was actually really fast... it's a great time to improve on the things that needed improvement.

Hey Buttercup

sorry to hear about ur situation :( I can't believe they'd let ur hope hang for so long THEN tell u that the list is short. Wtf? I sorta have doubts with a lot of the admission process, but what can u do... there's only one pharm school in BC :mad:

But at least u know ur pretty close to the cut-off... so I'm sure even if u heard bad news this yr... u'll have better luck nxt yr! :thumbup:

hey pharmageddon,
did you apply again this year?

Yes, and I got in this year.
From what I've heard lots of people don't make it in until their second try. Last year I had no idea how important the interview was going to be, so I didn't put as much effort into preparing for it as I should have. This year I did tons of practice interviews with my girlfriend, which helped, as did knowing the kinds of questions the interviewers were going to be asking.
I think people who made it to the interview this year and got rejected should not give up hope; they will have a huge advantage in the interview next year, and it shows the adcom that they are persistent and dedicated to getting into the program.

Yes, and I got in this year.
From what I've heard lots of people don't make it in until their second try. Last year I had no idea how important the interview was going to be, so I didn't put as much effort into preparing for it as I should have. This year I did tons of practice interviews with my girlfriend, which helped, as did knowing the kinds of questions the interviewers were going to be asking.
I think people who made it to the interview this year and got rejected should not give up hope; they will have a huge advantage in the interview next year, and it shows the adcom that they are persistent and dedicated to getting into the program.

Oh excellent, I guess we will be classmates. Do you have facebook? there is a group called "UBC Pharmacy Grad 2011". I'm Ed Tung btw. I also believe the interview from last year is what prevented me from getting into the program. All my answers were not organized and not in detail. Even I wouldn't accept myself. I practiced more on my interviewing skills this year and it made me more confident during my interview. For those of you who have gotten an interview, but didn't get accepted....it is a really good idea to write down the questions as they tend to recycle the questions each year.

No facebook yet. I'm in the middle of moving into family housing on campus, but once I'm in I'll start up an account and join that group.
Anybody know the date and time of the ceremony where they give us our lab coats, and what the chances are of getting a ticket for an extra guest?

No facebook yet. I'm in the middle of moving into family housing on campus, but once I'm in I'll start up an account and join that group.
Anybody know the date and time of the ceremony where they give us our lab coats, and what the chances are of getting a ticket for an extra guest?

hmmm. no idea. i assume we will find out in august. i heard we were only given 2 tickets. it would be great if we can get extra guest tickets.

Two guests per student (last year).

You will get an email soon, and you reply with the number of guests you have (0, 1 or 2...).

Last year, the date was within the first week of school, 5pm ish I think.

Two guests per student (last year).

You will get an email soon, and you reply with the number of guests you have (0, 1 or 2...).

Last year, the date was within the first week of school, 5pm ish I think.

Thanks Katherinex
you've been really helpful.
do you know how long the ceremony is?

any news from people from the waiting list still?

any news from people from the waiting list still?

I called margaret again today, and she said she would be sending emails at the end of this week. Sighh...she keeps changing what she says.