UBC Pharmacy 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I have seen on this forum and the UBC Pharmacy 2008 forum, most people have an average in the mid 70's (including me), besides, they are looking for more than a really good average.

Actually this is a very surprising anomaly this year. There were roughly 450 applicants this year (There were around (or over) 700 in the 2007 application cycle). Our entering class average was 80-81%.

This year I am actually quite surprised to find out the average seems to have dropped by around 5%! But it is possibly due to the huge de-flux in the number of applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi FungManX,

I was just wondering when you got the hospital pharmacy position? Was this after you started pharmacy school? And did you have pharmacy experience prior to working in the hospital?

I don't *really* have much retail pharmacy experience (unless you include the 30 hours of volunteer work back in high school) so I just wanted to know if it's probably a good idea to look into that before I go job hunting for positions in the hospital.

Thanks!

I had just finished pharmacy school (first year). Prior experience was around 3-6 months of Volunteering in a shoppers drug mart. In terms of job hunting.. it is quite pointless just wandering into the hospital. They will be posting job positions via email (there are participating hospitals with UBC that like to take in students to work for the summer months.. they will contact the school first and then the school will contact the first year students (and second years sometimes)).

Actually this is a very surprising anomaly this year. There were roughly 450 applicants this year (There were around (or over) 700 in the 2007 application cycle). Our entering class average was 80-81%.

This year I am actually quite surprised to find out the average seems to have dropped by around 5%! But it is possibly due to the huge de-flux in the number of applicants.
Are you sure there were only 450~ applicants this year? I sure hope so, but there were other posts in the 2008 thread saying that there were 700... Well, I guess it doesn't matter anymore, since they are going to be having 300 interviewees regardless..

Members don't see this ad :)
Fungman, where'd you hear that there were only 450 applicants in the '08 cycle? I've heard from a couple people now, who've called the admissions people and were told there were upwards of 700 applicants.

And that low 80's average has been fairly consistent and I'm sure this year will hover around that mark again. Don't let a couple posts here and there on these boards tell you otherwise!

On the Admission FAQ's it says that last years average was 78-80% for those who were admitted, not 81 or higher. And that is only an average, meaning that people could have gotten in with an average well below or above that. I'm not even exactly sure what my average was calculated as since I went to Uvic for two years and do not know how my grades convert to UBC nor what classes convert for second year courses.

Fungman, where'd you hear that there were only 450 applicants in the '08 cycle? I've heard from a couple people now, who've called the admissions people and were told there were upwards of 700 applicants.

And that low 80's average has been fairly consistent and I'm sure this year will hover around that mark again. Don't let a couple posts here and there on these boards tell you otherwise!

I was helping Margaret with the "beyond first year science" this year (Pharmacy Booth) and she sort of slipped it out to me.. Maybe I heard the wrong number, but I am pretty certain.. tungster was there too

edit: Margaret IS in charge of admissions

I was helping Margaret with the "beyond first year science" this year (Pharmacy Booth) and she sort of slipped it out to me.. Maybe I heard the wrong number, but I am pretty certain.. tungster was there too

edit: Margaret IS in charge of admissions

Well then, either there's some misinterpretation or someone's lying.... haha either way, it really doesn't matter.

By the way, thanks for sharing your experience (I think it was you?) about your thoughts before/after getting into Pharm school.

Hey...For those who took STAT, STAT203 is not for credit toward BSc, does it mean science student can't take it or we can take it but just not for credits? Because some how I can't seem to be able to register for that course. Would I need to take STAT200 instead? :(

i know this is the least relevant question, but would you suggest wearing short- or long-sleeved shirt? (is there AC? i get cold easily :oops: )
shivering + nervous = STUTTERING :(
THANKS =]

i know this is the least relevant question, but would you suggest wearing short- or long-sleeved shirt? (is there AC? i get cold easily :oops: )
THANKS =]

:eek: huh! I need help on this too. Seriously.... I think the interviewers might be able to see my goosebumps >.<

THANKS =]

For a guy, definitely go with a long-sleeved button down (with a tie). Long sleeves are waay more professional for an interview (in my opinion). Hopefully you won't be too hot though, the weather seems to be warming up a bit :)

I think I read on one of the replies that the air conditioning in the building is good. So I think long-sleeve will be ok. In my opinion, I think it's better to wear a long-sleeved shirt even if the weather's a little hot, as long as you can take some heat without sweating a lot.

I have a question to those who applied the second/third time. Note: I'm not asking what's on it. Besides, you're not supposed to tell ;)
Ok... back to my real intention >>> I was wondering, were the interview questions exactly the same from one year to the next? Or do they have different sets of questions? I noticed that the essay questions were different for this year, so not sure if interview questions would change as well. THansk a lot~~~