UBC Pharmacy 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seaweed, have you already finished all of your pharmacy prerequisite courses and most of the non-pharmacy courses in first year such as ANAT 390+391, PHYS301, STAT202, CHEM 233/235, MICB202 and BIOC300?

If so, studying hard for your courses that are not part of the pharmacy curriculum will not boost your chances of getting in because they do not use your overall GPA to calculate your AQ (academic quotient). They use your Pharmacy prereqs and any courses that you have taken that are part of the pharmacy curriculum.

The PCAT is not worth much overall after the interview but if you didn't get an interview, I recommend that you increase your PCAT score.

Hope that helps Seaweed and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Seaweed, have you already finished all of your pharmacy prerequisite courses and most of the non-pharmacy courses in first year such as ANAT 390+391, PHYS301, STAT202, CHEM 233/235, MICB202 and BIOC300?

If so, studying hard for your courses that are not part of the pharmacy curriculum will not boost your chances of getting in because they do not use your overall GPA to calculate your AQ (academic quotient). They use your Pharmacy prereqs and any courses that you have taken that are part of the pharmacy curriculum.

The PCAT is not worth much overall after the interview but if you didn't get an interview, I recommend that you increase your PCAT score.

Hey,

Actually, I've just graduated with my BSc from UBC in May'07 and just decided to go into Pharmacy. I've already taken most of the pre-reqs + CHEM 233/235, BIOC300 and STATS 202 for my degree. This fall I'm taking BIOL 112 and ANAT 390 as an unclassified student, hoping to make my gpa more competitive (It's at a low 70's).

What are my chances of getting into Pharmacy at UBC? I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, and have been volunteering at a Pharmacy for about 6 months now.

Thanks!!

I recommend that you increase your PCAT mark. I have a friend who was in a similar position as you and by increasing his PCAT mark to a 97 he was able show the interview committee that he was academically equivalent to the other candidates. He had a high 60's btw. He had a ton of experience volunteering - not necessarily pharmacy related but healthcare for sure and if you ace the interview and ace the PCAT, I see no reason why you can't make it.

Good luck man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi soccerdude604,

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I think I will take the PCAT again in January. I seems that I need a high PCAT score to offset my low average.

Just wondering: did your friend get in to pharmacy on his first try with those stats?

He applied a few times beforehand and eventually got in. Different for everyone though.

Hey all, I'm also planning, well I guess as of now it's more like going, to apply for UBC 2008 as a first yr. I was wondering...

1) If we submit a Change of Program form but didn't get into pharmacy program? Do we still get to stay in our current faculty?

2) On the application, we have to fill in the current post-secondary institution we're in. I was wondering what I should put for degree? I'm in first yr science. Should I just leave it as BSC?

3) I know this question sorta don't belong here... well it's sorta of a intermediate thing... Let say, if I'm applying to 2 pharmacy programs, one in UBC and one in Ontario, at the same time, which form should I submit(aka Change of Program or.....?!?!?) >.<

4) last one... you know how we select our courses for next yr in like June(i'm not sure). Do we select our courses for next yr in JUNE as if we're not going to make into pharmacy? But if we're lucky enough to make it, then we re-do our courses? I know it's way too early to worry about this... but wouldn't heard to know o_____o

Sorry for bombarding you guys with so many questions >.<

Thanks in advance xD

just had my interview thought it went ok... definately better than last year but still have my doubts.. especially since i thought last year was good too

so how can you be a pharmacist if you doubt yourself?

i will be surprised if you get in! i guess you did, your status shows a pharmacy student, what a disaster!

i will be surprised if you get in! i guess you did, your status shows a pharmacy student, what a disaster!
Let me get this straight, are you actually picking fights on a semi-dead thread over something that somebody wrote 4 months ago?

wtf is ur problem? r u saying in order to become a pharmacist u are NEVER wrong and should NEVER doubt urself?

by the way, fungmanx did get accepted into pharmacy this year. i think what he was trying to say is that there are a lot of uncertainties associated of being accepted into ubc because you never know exactly what they are looking for. some interviewers may like what you said during the interview and some dont.

I think he was being doubtful about the application process, not doubting whether he is going to be a great pharmacist.

and jesus christ, with that kind of attitude, i hope you DON'T get accepted into UBC pharmacy futureRxstudent. ubc are not looking for students like yourself.

I'm wondering what kind of people (eg, professors, TA's, volunteer coordinators) you guys asked to write your reference letters for ubc?

I'm mainly just wondering if it is better to have a professor write your letter rather than a grad student?

thanks.

i had my student council sponsor that i have known for 5 years back in high school and my volunteer coordinator as references.

to tell you the truth. they're not even reference letters. it's just a form for them to rate you on various categories. i think this method is way better than writing reference letters, because it's so unfair if you find someone who is an excellent writer.

by having a form, it's standardized. and the admission committee does not have to find what they are looking for in the letters.

basically find someone who will give you a good reference (and can speak well, just in case they call them).

Members don't see this ad :)
i was wondering what kind of volunteer experience takes priority. I'v volunteered in a pharmacy and also have coached boys bball for 3 years. Also i'v volunteered at an residence care home for people with aids etc. Thats basically 3 things...is hospital work highly recommended or do ppl get by without it by doing other things. in other words...does hospital work look way better than anything else?

i was wondering what kind of volunteer experience takes priority. I'v volunteered in a pharmacy and also have coached boys bball for 3 years. Also i'v volunteered at an residence care home for people with aids etc. Thats basically 3 things...is hospital work highly recommended or do ppl get by without it by doing other things. in other words...does hospital work look way better than anything else?

I don't know how they determine the score for your extracurrics but I am a pharmacy student here at UBC. I got accepted with absolutely no pharmacy experience but a good half of my classmates have pharmacy experience. I would say that pharmacy experience is important because on the interview they will ask you questions about what you know about pharmacy. As for hospital experience, I'm guessing you don't necessarily need it. Some healthcare related experience would be nice to have though. It's final exam time as you probably know and not many people will be responding to stuff on SDN. Try after exam time if you have more questions. Good luck with your application!

I had no pharmacy experience whatsoever when I applied to pharmacy. My volunteer experiences include Children's hospital and an old folk's home.
Although they are not pharmacy related, they are health care related. In addition to volunteer work, they also want to see if you have any other extracurricular activities (i.e. student council, play a sport/instrument, etc). They want to choose well-rounded students who are outgoing and sociable rather than students who are just smart with no personality. I know a few people who are really smart but didnt get accepted because they were not personable. It shows you that marks isnt everything.

In your case, I think your volunteering experience is really good. It's quite diverse and I think they will like that. In addition, they also look to see how long you have been volunteering. They want people who are committed rather than seeing someone with millions of volunteer experiences (because they will think you are just doing it for the hours)..

Best of luck!

hey guys,

Like what Tungster said, as long as you show then that you're well-round person, it should and do well on the interview, it should be enough.

Sorry to jump slightly off topic but i applied last year and got an interview but evidently i didn't make it quite as far as i would like.
I know i completely fumbled on the interview. Everytime i think about the interview i get really nervous because it's a pharmacy interview and i messed up BAD!

i am actually embarassed by the way i performed.

It was my first time and it's always hard the first time but i guess i just wasn't ready for it.

I'm not looking for kind reassurance or anything like that. I just want to contribute my experience....not to frighten you or anything like that but just to contribute and get it off my chest because obviously it's still affecting me now.

Take care and good luck.

For the online application, does anybody know if UBC will actually call the people that you list under the "who can we call to verify", for volunteer activities, employment, etc.

Just wanted to know so I can give those people a heads up.

Thanks!

One more question..

Does anybody have any advice on who would be better to ask for a reference letter:

- Volunteer coordinator at a seniors home that I've been volunteering for 7 years ( but have only known the volunteer coordinator for about 2 years).

- Pharmacist at a pharmacy I've been volunteering at for about 8 months.

Thanks!

One more question..

Does anybody have any advice on who would be better to ask for a reference letter:

- Volunteer coordinator at a seniors home that I've been volunteering for 7 years ( but have only known the volunteer coordinator for about 2 years).

- Pharmacist at a pharmacy I've been volunteering at for about 8 months.

Thanks!

Just pick whoever you think will give you a better reference.
As for the other comment about the reference checks, give all your references a heads up because they make a few random calls.

quick question;

i notice that chem 233/235 are courses part of the undergraduate pharmacy program that may be taken as a pre requisite course for applying students. Im a biochemistry major at UBC, but cannot take these courses since these two are restricted to students that ARE NOT majors, honors, and combined honors in chemistry and biochemistry.

Consequently, Biochemistry majors are to take chem 203/204 and cannot take 233/235. have you ever heard of any students been given permission from the department to take these courses for a pre requisite to apply to pharmacy, even though they can't take these courses? I'm assuming that chem 203/204 will not count towards the calculation of the academic gpa...

thanks in advance

quick question;

i notice that chem 233/235 are courses part of the undergraduate pharmacy program that may be taken as a pre requisite course for applying students. Im a biochemistry major at UBC, but cannot take these courses since these two are restricted to students that ARE NOT majors, honors, and combined honors in chemistry and biochemistry.

Consequently, Biochemistry majors are to take chem 203/204 and cannot take 233/235. have you ever heard of any students been given permission from the department to take these courses for a pre requisite to apply to pharmacy, even though they can't take these courses? I'm assuming that chem 203/204 will not count towards the calculation of the academic gpa...

thanks in advance

Yes, these courses are interchangable.

I'm in 2nd year microbiology right now and I'm taking BIOL 201. Does this mean I'm not allowed to take BIOC 300 for pharmacy and have to take 302? Or can I still take BIOC 300 for credit? (I assume it'll be easier than 302, especially if I've already taken BIOL 201) Thanks!

Hey
I got 88% on the pcat and i have an average of 77% in school. I have 15 hours of volunteer at a pharmacy, and i volunteer as a firefighter (200 hours), I also have extensive first aid experiance. Do you think ill get into ubc pharmacy?
Avg of accepted applicatnts
school - 80%
pcat- 87%
Thanks!

everything seems fine. i think you're guaranteed with an interview this year. i guess you just have to do well on the interview. i know a couple of people who have similar stats as you, but totally bombed the interview, and didnt get accepted. good luck!

I'm in 2nd year microbiology right now and I'm taking BIOL 201. Does this mean I'm not allowed to take BIOC 300 for pharmacy and have to take 302? Or can I still take BIOC 300 for credit? (I assume it'll be easier than 302, especially if I've already taken BIOL 201) Thanks!

I don't think you can officially say you are in microbio until you are in third year.. but anyhow. You can still take BIOC 300 but you will need to get a special authorization from the vice-dean or something (my friend did it to get a better mark).

BIOC 300 (6) = BIOL 201(3) + BIOC 302(3)

You still need to memorize all the aminoacid structures.. everything is the same. As for ease, I dont' know.. BIOL 201 portion may be 'easier' since you've already done it, but the 302 portion might not?

Hello!
For those who got into pharamcy after at least completing 2nd year, what major were you in before getting in? Thanks!:)

I was just wondering if anyone can give me an overview of what is included on the online application form since its not available online right now...Specifically, I would like to know if contacts need to be listed for the volunteer and work experience column. If so, is it for every single item or for just a select few to which you can provide contact two (I'm asking this because I had a volunteer job that was for about 30+ hours, but it was over only a course of 5 days and it was two years ago. I want to put it on the application but I don't think the volunteer coordinator works there anymore, and even if she did, I doubt she would remember me amongst 60+ other volunteers; could I still put down past histories like this where I can't really provide a contact?)

Thank you in advance!

applications:
1) basically copying and pasting your resume
--> you should have phone numbers and name of references (i.e. work, volunteering, extra-curricular activities)

2) two personal essays
--> why you want to become a pharmacist/why does pharmacy interest u
--> talk a bit about yourself (autobiography)

that's basically it. good luck

Hello!
For those who got into pharamcy after at least completing 2nd year, what major were you in before getting in? Thanks!:)

I was in the cell biology and genetics program before i got into pharmacy. it doesn't really matter what major you are in as long as you have all the pre-reqs. good luck. interviews should be handed out soon.

just wondering if the two personal essay topics are the same for all applying years?

i think they are. i applied two times and they were both the same. i am not sure about this year (i assume it must be the same). i just copied and pasted what i did the first time into the second time i applied.

Interview invitations have been released if anyone wants to know. Not sure if they're sent out in bursts or all at once though =/

I know that students who are already in UBC pharmacy are not supposed to disclose any info regrading to the questions asked on the interview, but i'm just hoping for some clues as to how I could prepare for the interview. I think they're likely to ask scenerio questions(as in job interview), but are scenerio questions relate to being a pharmacist? :oops: I guess what I'm trying to say is that.... plz give me some hints w/out going against the law. lol~

Thanks xD

I know that students who are already in UBC pharmacy are not supposed to disclose any info regrading to the questions asked on the interview, but i'm just hoping for some clues as to how I could prepare for the interview. I think they're likely to ask scenerio questions(as in job interview), but are scenerio questions relate to being a pharmacist? :oops: I guess what I'm trying to say is that.... plz give me some hints w/out going against the law. lol~

Thanks xD
yup, any help would be greatly appreciated.

i think they are. i applied two times and they were both the same. i am not sure about this year (i assume it must be the same). i just copied and pasted what i did the first time into the second time i applied.

tungster:

Just wondering --did your average change much on your second time applying to pharmacy? cuz average plays a big part, and i'm wondering if they actually take into consideration if an applicant is applying for the second time.

thanks!

tungster:

Just wondering --did your average change much on your second time applying to pharmacy? cuz average plays a big part, and i'm wondering if they actually take into consideration if an applicant is applying for the second time.

thanks!

my average did go up. i was able to take courses that were pre-reqs to the pharmacy program. (i.e. bio 300 which is equivalent to stats 200, biochem 302, bio 364, 363, and 361 which are equivalent to physiology 301 and 302). i believe (do not quote me on this), that your average plays a huge role at the beginning to get an interview. once you have gotten the interview, your interview plays a big role on whether you get in or not. pretty much everyone who gets an interview have "relatively" the same average. so to determine which of those students get in depends on the interview itself.

anyway, good luck to everyone.
for those of you who got an interview, i would highly recommend you to start practicing now and in front of many different people as possible to get that confidence.

Hey Tungster:

Just wondering -- assuming you're in first year Pharm and/or have some Pharmacy working experience -- how are you liking it? Any regrets with your choice to get into Pharmacy?

I ask because I'm still not sure if Pharm is for me. I'm working once a week as a Pharm tech at Shoppers and it is hectic! I hear Shoppers is the worst, though and that most other pharmacies are not as demanding on the staff.

I'm aware it's a personal preference, but I guess I'm just interested in how your perspective from before/after entering Pharm school changed re. this profession.

Sorry, longwinded and thanks.

Hey Tungster:

Just wondering -- assuming you're in first year Pharm and/or have some Pharmacy working experience -- how are you liking it? Any regrets with your choice to get into Pharmacy?

I ask because I'm still not sure if Pharm is for me. I'm working once a week as a Pharm tech at Shoppers and it is hectic! I hear Shoppers is the worst, though and that most other pharmacies are not as demanding on the staff.

I'm aware it's a personal preference, but I guess I'm just interested in how your perspective from before/after entering Pharm school changed re. this profession.

Sorry, longwinded and thanks.

Before Tungster shares his experience I would like to share mine (a classmate of tungster). I was like a lot of other people that thought pharmacy was boring as hell.. I did some volunteering at shoppers drug mart for a few months and hated every minute of it. I managed to still get into pharmacy though. The course work itself was not too difficult this year except for anatomy/physiology which sucked the life out of me near the end of the year.

Anyhow, now is the end of the year for us all, most of us managed to pick up pharmacy jobs on the side.. I was lucky enough to get hired at a hospital pharmacy. And I absolutely LOVE it. I love the huge variety of work there is to do in the hospital, packing IV's, to order entry to dispensing to tubing and to going to the wards to stock up (and also the rare occasion I get to shadow a pharmacist). Just working in the dispensary has shown me what a HUGE job the pharmacists actually do. They check lab values to determine renal function, bacterial cultures to determine antibiotic dosing and INR levels to dose warfarin among many other things. The pharmacists have HUGE roles in the hospital and it has made me really love the fact that I made the choice to go into pharmacy.

I'm sure there are some that are seeking further education (ie. med school). But if you do some calculations into the 'opportunity cost' of going into medicine and suffering through the low paying (47k-60k/year residency and literally 3-4 days sleeping in the hospital as a 'on-call' never being able to be more than 15 minutes away from the hospital), pharmacy really is the best choice, especially if you want to have a family and everything. But anyhow back to opportunity cost.. it will take at least 20-30 years post medical school to earn back all the money you have lost and not gained compared to your pharmacy colleagues who went to school for 5-8 years and made 100k/year off the bat.

Anyhow, that was a major tangent that I went off on.

Coles notes: I didn't want to do it that much before, but now I'm loving it. Pharmacy is good!

Hi FungManX,

I was just wondering when you got the hospital pharmacy position? Was this after you started pharmacy school? And did you have pharmacy experience prior to working in the hospital?

I don't *really* have much retail pharmacy experience (unless you include the 30 hours of volunteer work back in high school) so I just wanted to know if it's probably a good idea to look into that before I go job hunting for positions in the hospital.

Thanks!

i have a 92% average across the prerequisite courses for pharmacy right now, and i assume that is a pretty competetive percentage, so i don't know if i should go ahead and take courses incorporated into the pharm program next winter session (eg., micrbiology 202, physiology 301, 302) for fear of those courses ending up pulling down my average when it comes to the time i apply for pharmacy. but on the other hand, i want to lighten my course load if i do by any chance get admitted. specifically, i am contemplating dropping physiology for psychology (although personally physiology i find more intriguing); can anyone tell me if for a 2nd year student physiology will be very difficult/heavy in terms of work load?

what is UBCs prereqs? I thought when I looked a few years ago they wanted a B.S.

^
First yr English
First yr Calc
First yr Chem
First yr Bio
1 semester of Physics
+PCAT

Just a quick question, would we be asked about our views on a debatable issue at the interview(like our view on the Canadian health system etc.)? Perhaps a mini-debate with the interviewers. :eek:

Hey all,

i just stumbled upon SDN & this thread yesterday. last night, i read from the 1st pg to the very last pg. as I was reading, i felt as if i was in your shoes…getting thru the admission process…the anticipation of waiting for the reply, the joy of being accepted, the grief of not getting in…like a suspenseful story but happened in reality. THANK YOU ALL for sharing your experience & info.:D

now im really in your shoes. my interview is coming up. Worse yet, i’ve no interview experience, so im really nervous :(And when i’ve butterflies in my stomach, I can no longer speak coherent sentences…not good at all.

Pls, do you have any wise advices about the interview? i heard that they dont ask ethical & scenario questions anymore. is it true? i dont know what questions to expect so I can practice & prep for the interview. can someone pls give a general idea of the type of interview question? ( i understand you’re not allowed to give specifics) how about anything that i should totally avoid during the interview?

Thxthx. truly appreciate any help to boost my self-esteem.:)

(by the way, im a 1st yr sci student at ubc. It’s sad to know that not a lot applicants get in w/ first try. getting into the prog & being a pharmacist mean so much to me!)

Is it even possible for students with low 70's average to get into pharmacy since the avg of students getting in seems to be in the 80's?

Low 70's is entirely possible, and even fairly likely if you do really well on the interview. Don't forget those crazy kids with their 99 avgs bumping up the average. It's the median we're looking at! Goodluck

tealish: ::tears:: Thank you so much for the confidence boost :love:

tealish: ::tears:: Thank you so much for the confidence boost :love:

From what I have seen on this forum and the UBC Pharmacy 2008 forum, most people have an average in the mid 70's (including me), besides, they are looking for more than a really good average.