UB Applicants 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's it, I'm changing my name to WillApteryx. Would you accepteds mind posting your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

That's it, I'm changing my name to WillApteryx. Would you accepteds mind posting your stats?

Mine are in pharmapps which you can find on the left of this post under my username. I haven't updated it in a bit but my stats are mostly there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hold a BA in Chemistry from Boston University with a strong GPA and a 97 PCAT composite.

Well it must be the BA in chemistry thats what my degree was as well. All those poor saps that went for the BS.....

I will have a BA in bio this spring, 3.68 gpa, 84 comp on pcat. 2+ yrs as tech, paid/unpaid research experience, but they never asked about any of it, I don't think it mattered much

Sweet, getting my BA in chem this semester. Funny stuff.

Looks like they weigh the interview a lot. This is a first, I received another message from Jen, after the message of rejection, that flat out stated the reason I was rejected so early was because of the interview's results, which I admit wasn't my best day interviewing. Such a little thing that makes such a big difference, just advice for all those who have their interviews upcoming :)

Looks like they weigh the interview a lot. This is a first, I received another message from Jen, after the message of rejection, that flat out stated the reason I was rejected so early was because of the interview's results, which I admit wasn't my best day interviewing. Such a little thing that makes such a big difference, just advice for all those who have their interviews upcoming :)

Not to put any pressure on you guys with interviews coming up in the coming weeks.

Not to put any pressure on you guys with interviews coming up in the coming weeks.
Yeah, like me :eek:

Just got an email from UB saying that they still have interview spots open for the 29th (this friday - mine is on Feb 5) and you can change your interview date if you would like. I'd like to but I already have an interview this sat so I kind of can't. I would really want to have an earlier interview since they are rolling admissions and spots are filled up quickly.

I heard some EA have their second interview!!! I am wondering why they absolutely need that many EA even when they fail the interview will be provided with a second chance. When regular applicants work so hard to get one and could not be tolerated for any mistake.

I heard some EA have their second interview!!! I am wondering why they absolutely need that many EA even when they fail the interview will be provided with a second chance. When regular applicants work so hard to get one and could not be tolerated for any mistake.

Early assurance is how the school recruits highly talented freshman, competing with 0-6 programs.

History has shown that as the early assurance students make up more and more of the classes the requirements for admission change. This fall's students will have a much more challenging early assurance experience than those interviewing right now. Similarly, my entering class was the first with the 3.5 GPA requirement.

Because of the nature of early assurance, if 125 students meet/exceed their early assurance requirements, the school would take 125 early assurance students. This has not happened, however it does seem as though the student population has adjusted to the 3.5 GPA now, as seen by the number of early assurance students in the 2013 class as compared to the 2011 class.

Because of the nature of early assurance, if 125 students meet/exceed their early assurance requirements, the school would take 125 early assurance students. This has not happened, however it does seem as though the student population has adjusted to the 3.5 GPA now, as seen by the number of early assurance students in the 2013 class as compared to the 2011 class.
Are you completely sure about this? I distinctly remember a few people in my major (pharmacology and toxicology) who were early assurance for the class of 2011, met the 3.5 gpa and were not accepted. THey were pretty pissed. They finished their degree and reapplied and both got in for the class of 2013 but they were initially rejected even though they said they had the gpa and all the pre-reqs done.

If I could, I would erase all my grades to start over at UB (instead of 90 crappy credits at community college) to be an EA student. Seriously, I love the school, and don't want to move again. But I applied late, and my GPA sucks (~3.0), so I'm already pretty much dead to the idea of actually making it in.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from UB saying that they still have interview spots open for the 29th (this friday - mine is on Feb 5) and you can change your interview date if you would like. I'd like to but I already have an interview this sat so I kind of can't. I would really want to have an earlier interview since they are rolling admissions and spots are filled up quickly.

My interview is this Friday, and was offered to go in the 22nd. Due to travel issues, I couldn't accept. I kind of wish I could have done last Friday, since I probably would have found out by now...

Are you completely sure about this? I distinctly remember a few people in my major (pharmacology and toxicology) who were early assurance for the class of 2011, met the 3.5 gpa and were not accepted. THey were pretty pissed. They finished their degree and reapplied and both got in for the class of 2013 but they were initially rejected even though they said they had the gpa and all the pre-reqs done.

Two things: I never believe anyone when talking GPA's- doesn't mean I'm hostile, I'm just not ignorant. Also, per the ACPE (the guys that actually tell schools what to do) UB has to interview its early assurance students. There is a possibility that an early assurance student could fail an interview. I can assure you this: those who fail early assurance interviews fail for good reasons. They may not agree, but those sitting on the school and profession's side of the fence will.

Also, there were a lot of people in pharmtox who "were early assurance" but did not end up meeting the criteria in the end. If you end your 4th semester with a 3.499 and have not taken the PCAT or submitted PHARMCAS you are out of luck, since early assurance requires 3.500

2 days away! I'm getting nervous now. I'm flying from socal tomorrow

Sweet, more people from SoCal. The 2013 class has about 7 people from that region :)

Hope you get in!

Two things: I never believe anyone when talking GPA's- doesn't mean I'm hostile, I'm just not ignorant. Also, per the ACPE (the guys that actually tell schools what to do) UB has to interview its early assurance students. There is a possibility that an early assurance student could fail an interview. I can assure you this: those who fail early assurance interviews fail for good reasons. They may not agree, but those sitting on the school and profession's side of the fence will.

Also, there were a lot of people in pharmtox who "were early assurance" but did not end up meeting the criteria in the end. If you end your 4th semester with a 3.499 and have not taken the PCAT or submitted PHARMCAS you are out of luck, since early assurance requires 3.500
I know that they were good students and one i know graduated magna cum laude. They were both accepted two years later and while you can learn a lot inf 2 years, I don't think their first interviews were horrid.
I do seem to remember them telling some EA to take the PCAT even if they had a 3.5 because it would make them stronger applicants. Like if they just had a 3.5 (like a 3.52 or something) they might not make it. I remember 2 people I knew too kteh pcat even though they had a 3.5 (They made it anyway)

I know that they were good students and one i know graduated magna cum laude. They were both accepted two years later and while you can learn a lot inf 2 years, I don't think their first interviews were horrid.
I do seem to remember them telling some EA to take the PCAT even if they had a 3.5 because it would make them stronger applicants. Like if they just had a 3.5 (like a 3.52 or something) they might not make it. I remember 2 people I knew too kteh pcat even though they had a 3.5 (They made it anyway)

They had below 3.5, I am confident of that. The early assurance interviews are more about assessing your ambitions as a function of formality rather than to assess you against the rest of the pack. If you pass the interview and have a 3.500000 you do NOT need a PCAT score or LOR's and you are IN. That is what early assurance is.

Remember the language requirements, both spoken and written-

The proper advice regarding the PCAT and ~3.5gpa is this: what happens at the end of your 4th semester when you drop to a 3.49 because of a B- in physics? Clearly having already taken the PCAT would put you in a position to still apply and get in through pharmcas.

A person with command of spoken and written english, a GPA of 3.5 or higher as required by early assurance and the ability to express any intelligent thought in the interview will get in.

If your friends met those criteria and did not, then there is an element of dishonesty, most likely regarding the GPA requirement.

would any of the acceptees be willing to update the interview feedback for the rest of us poor souls? hehe it would be really appreciated, and help calm my nerves!

bwsalvas, Do you know if UB consider so-called disadvantage stated in the supplemental form? I wrote about my experience as immigrant and the reason why I just reach the minimum requirement for PCAT which is 310 percentile because of verbal and reading; But i do keep a 3.6GPA in math and science and is graduating with BS in biomedical. I got waitlisted last year and this year without an interview.

Congrats buddy, you got some nice stats. Were u the one in the first row during the intro presentation?

No, I actually sat in the very last row, by myself :laugh:

As far as my stats for the above poster who's interested:

3.82 Cumulative GPA
BS in pharmaceutical science
PTCB certified tech, 3 years experience in retail
Cell Bio TA, Some research credits
84th Percentile PCAT, 90 in bio and chem

I've heard of UB letting in 3.0's and rejecting 4.0's. So yes, the interview will make it or break it for many people. I focused on my ambitions with a pharmd/jd along with my research background in pharmaceutical sciences.

Last edited:
would any of the acceptees be willing to update the interview feedback for the rest of us poor souls? hehe it would be really appreciated, and help calm my nerves!

Just be prepared for a behavioral interview and follow-up questions based on your answers. Think on your feet and don't lie :thumbup:

Look up current events. I talked about President Obama, racing cars, and fishing during my interview. :laugh:

bwsalvas, Do you know if UB consider so-called disadvantage stated in the supplemental form? I wrote about my experience as immigrant and the reason why I just reach the minimum requirement for PCAT which is 310 percentile because of verbal and reading; But i do keep a 3.6GPA in math and science and is graduating with BS in biomedical. I got waitlisted last year and this year without an interview.

Your disadvantage may be considered, but it isn't a way around the system.

Unfortunately, a command of English is necessary in order to properly communicate both within the school and as a professional in society. In school, poor grammar and spelling may significantly hurt you in quite a few classes (many of which are graded entirely on the basis of a few papers). Rotations require papers to be written, and there are point deductions for poor grammar and spelling. Adequate reading comprehension is necessary to understand cases and case-based assignments that are given over the course of the curriculum or to interpret medical literature. All of this remains true once you're practicing as a pharmacist, except your job is on the line instead of your grades.

That being said, UB accepts many international students or students who speak English as a second, or even third, language. They were able to overcome the same difficulties adjusting that you're faced with now, and are some of the more well-rounded students because of it. Don't use immigration as a crutch, use it as a ladder.

Thanks for the advices. I have no problem of communicating, writing or grammar; otherwise no way I could maintain a 3.66 GPA right? I just do not know as many vocabulary as you do the reason why could not do well on verbal and reading. Being an immigrant does not mean to be incompetent in what you describe as the successful path of being a pharmacist!! I spent 2 and half year in high school that was when I started learning the language and now graduating in biomedical science. Overall, I have spent 6 years in learning English and score 77 percentile. Yes, I wish I could do better, but time is precious!! Sorry, I am just ambitious about my life.

Last edited:
Find out how much a pharmaceutical patent attorney makes (last I looked it's $150k starting and that's on the low end)

Or how much a pharmaceutical law consultant/attorney makes (I've been looking, haven't found hard data)

I don't even care if it's the same money, it's the extra JD behind your name that makes it worthwhile for me lol

Where did you find out information about that? I'm in the process of google-ing it, but a point in the right direction would be helpful

Where did you find out information about that? I'm in the process of google-ing it, but a point in the right direction would be helpful

http://www.bestsampleresume.com/salary/salary-for-Patent-Attorney.html

and

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-05-20-patentlawyers_N.htm

"Newly minted lawyers will earn $160,000 at the nation's top firms this year, and perhaps more with a postgraduate science degree or federal clerkship. The leading intellectual property firms plan to match or top that figure."

http://www.bestsampleresume.com/salary/salary-for-Patent-Attorney.html

and

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-05-20-patentlawyers_N.htm

"Newly minted lawyers will earn $160,000 at the nation's top firms this year, and perhaps more with a postgraduate science degree or federal clerkship. The leading intellectual property firms plan to match or top that figure."

Thanks!
Do you know how UB's law school ranks? I know law firms like to see where you graduated from. Think it'd be hard to land a job in a top firm graduating from UB law?

To work for a top law firm with just a JD, you'd have to get into one of the top ten law schools. UB isn't one of them. But what you have over other JD's is a PharmD, which UB is widely known to be a good school for it. And the fact that you have two professional degrees negates the ranking of UB's law school. IN MY OPINION of course. There isn't a lot of PharmD/JD's out there.

To work for a top law firm with just a JD, you'd have to get into one of the top ten law schools. UB isn't one of them. But what you have over other JD's is a PharmD, which UB is widely known to be a good school for it. And the fact that you have two professional degrees negates the ranking of UB's law school. IN MY OPINION of course. There isn't a lot of PharmD/JD's out there.

If I go that route when I finish I will be a PharmD/JD/RN. I wonder how many of those there are out there?

I would include any hardships you may have had to deal with that having dealt with make you a stronger applicant than your numbers tell.

Immigration, death of a family member, car accidents, anything substantial that if included would help give additional insight into you.

I would include any hardships you may have had to deal with that having dealt with make you a stronger applicant than your numbers tell.

Immigration, death of a family member, car accidents, anything substantial that if included would help give additional insight into you.

Bwsalvas, I'm planning on putting my housing deposit in very soon. I'm from out of state, though, so I'm not able to go investigating the area and I'd really like to live on campus. Can I still get UB graduate student housing (I think the application, at this point, might be a little late)? Is it at all possible to get a studio or 1-bedroom? What are considered the best/most convenient/most pleasant complexes to live in?

Thanks for any advice you have!

Bwsalvas, I'm planning on putting my housing deposit in very soon. I'm from out of state, though, so I'm not able to go investigating the area and I'd really like to live on campus. Can I still get UB graduate student housing (I think the application, at this point, might be a little late)? Is it at all possible to get a studio or 1-bedroom? What are considered the best/most convenient/most pleasant complexes to live in?

Thanks for any advice you have!

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll try to help lol.

This is from the acceptance confirmation email
"If you have a bachelor’s degree at the start of the fall semester, you are also eligible for graduate student housing in our on-campus apartments. The University Residence Halls and Apartments begin accepting apartment applications on January 11, 2010. Priority is given to UB students who apply between January 11 and January 22, 2010 and have lived the longest on campus"

Move into Boulevard Towers. It's close to the school (10 minutes) and Tops, has a gym and cost less per month than living on campus. Plus the walls are thick and the neighbors are quiet. The management staff for the building are super nice and doesn't ignore you like some of the other student housing (at least from what I hear). I'll even give you a tour (just mention me if you move in so I get the sign on bonus :laugh:)

Message me if you are interested.

http://www.boulevardtowersapts.com/

Move into Boulevard Towers. It's close to the school (10 minutes) and Tops, has a gym and cost less per month than living on campus. Plus the walls are thick and the neighbors are quiet. The management staff for the building are super nice and doesn't ignore you like some of the other student housing (at least from what I hear). I'll even give you a tour (just mention me if you move in so I get the sign on bonus :laugh:)

Message me if you are interested.

http://www.boulevardtowersapts.com/

Thanks for the link I'll be looking into it. Does anyone else know any cheap, quiet and nice housing around the campus area? I'm assuming places off campus would be cheaper than living on in the graduate area, but I'm guessing. Also, I'll be attending UB for sure, I'll be looking for a roomate if anyone is interested, I refuse to live with my girlfriend...haha. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks for the link I'll be looking into it. Does anyone else know any cheap, quiet and nice housing around the campus area? I'm assuming places off campus would be cheaper than living on in the graduate area, but I'm guessing. Also, I'll be attending UB for sure, I'll be looking for a roomate if anyone is interested, I refuse to live with my girlfriend...haha. Please let me know ASAP.

http://www.colonieamherst.com/
http://www.wnyapts.com/buffalo/apts/colonie.htm

These are the colonie apartments. 5 mins from UB, quiet, you only have 3 neighbors, parking right outside your apartment door. I live here and I really like it.

I looked at blvd towers and colonie and I decided the towers were more of a hotel feel. Have to go up an elevator to your apt and as nice as it looks, bringing groceries up and moving everything from your car in the parking lot just didn't appeal to me. Like I said, colonie you can literally park right in front of the door. The complex is also right next to 990 for east transit, and although isn't as close to all the stuff the towers is, it's still close enough to not be a factor.

Look into both for sure before you make any decisions. As for cost, they're similar within $10 a month. Everything is electric in the towers though so heat can get expensive, where there is gas and electric at colonie. Any other questions just let me know!

Last edited:
Has anyone that has interviewed @ UB recently know approximately how many seats are left or how often they invite people for interviews? I applied in November and still haven't heard from them. I don't want to lose hope because I would like to stay in my hometown of Buffalo.

http://www.colonieamherst.com/
http://www.wnyapts.com/buffalo/apts/colonie.htm

I looked at blvd towers and colonie and I decided the towers were more of a hotel feel. Have to go up an elevator to your apt and as nice as it looks, bringing groceries up and moving everything from your car in the parking lot just didn't appeal to me. Like I said, colonie you can literally park right in front of the door. The complex is also right next to 990 for east transit, and although isn't as close to all the stuff the towers is, it's still close enough to not be a factor.

Look into both for sure before you make any decisions. As for cost, they're similar within $10 a month. Everything is electric in the towers though so heat can get expensive, where there is gas and electric at colonie. Any other questions just let me know!

I live on the bottom floor of Boulevard and near the back door so I park really close to my room. I think electricity is 80 bucks a month during winter months and 40 during summer. I split it with my roommate. It's not a bad price.

how long after your interview at UB did you guys hear back? i interviewed on FRIDAY - anyone hear back on that monday? :luck::luck:

Last edited:
I think they said Thursday at the latest - I interviewed on Friday as well (Group A). I hope they come tomorrow!

If you don't mind my asking, when did you interview for Pitt? I thought they didn't notify decisions until March/April?

Yeah I just got my Pitt interview request. I don't think they've interviewed yet.

I was in group B on Friday! I was impressed by the school. Wouldn't mind getting in. Guess we'll see.

I live on the bottom floor of Boulevard and near the back door so I park really close to my room. I think electricity is 80 bucks a month during winter months and 40 during summer. I split it with my roommate. It's not a bad price.

no not a bad price at all, they're both really similar, it really was a toss up between the 2 for me. Both have ups and downs to them. I just personally liked the feel of colonie better, and didn't want to deal with how busy maple and the blvd can get. All personal preference.

I interviewed Friday, Jan 22nd...and received an email acceptance on the following monday (25th)...I know that was the case for most every other applicant on here...They received their acceptance/rejection on Monday too....I'm sure you guys did great considering your stats and obvious determination...Good Luck!

Hendlefe and TTops, thanks for all the help with places. I will probably visit both places sometime this week and check them out. TTops you have a pm coming your way with some questions

I heard back Monday morning at around 1030 via email that I got in. So good luck to everyone you may know very soon.

I got an email saying thanks for the interview. :laugh: and I may hear back within 2 weeks. haha
I heard back Monday morning at around 1030 via email that I got in. So good luck to everyone you may know very soon.

Wait about that 2 week's notice email as posted by the last 2 users... is this a waitlist timeframe? I'm really confused... is this just a confirmation email that I interviewed?

Wait about that 2 week's notice email as posted by the last 2 users... is this a waitlist timeframe? I'm really confused... is this just a confirmation email that I interviewed?

It looks like a confirmation email. It says a lot of things about 'hoping that you consider us if you get accepted to other schools' etc. I wouldn't worry too much about that.