UB Applicants 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

will7678

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there hoping to go to UB starting next fall? I didn't see any threads yet for this specifically but I did see one for last year for everyone stressing out together through the whole process. I plan on doing a lot of freaking out so I figured I would get this started.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, I made a half-assed attempt last year. too bad I didn't get to finish all my pre-reqs. although, if I don't get in for 2010, I'll try again the next year. I'm trying to take it in stride.

were you at that pre-pharm club meeting tonight (9/16)?

I'm a grad student at UB (first year masters student in Microbiology) and I'm applying for fall 2010.

I applied last year very late - and by late I mean the last possible day (to put it into perspective I submitted pharmcas while watching the superbowl). I was waitlisted and pretty much screwed myself (because if I sent it early I probably would have at least gotten an interview). :(

Moral of the story- do not wait until the superbowl to send in your application.

Also, since I have applied to UB before (once as a sophmore and last year) I might be able to answer some questions. THird times a charm right?:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I made a half-assed attempt last year. too bad I didn't get to finish all my pre-reqs. although, if I don't get in for 2010, I'll try again the next year. I'm trying to take it in stride.

were you at that pre-pharm club meeting tonight (9/16)?

No I would have if I knew that there was one. I was on campus anyways for an analytical chem lab this afternoon. i will have to start checking for their meetings and see if I can make one of them. Luckily I have all of my material in so now it is just waiting until January for the interview. Yeah 4 more months of freaking out :thumbup: Well good luck to you guys this time around maybe I will see you around campus or at an interview session :D

Well at least there are only 3 of us applying this year so we should be guaranteed spots. :D Seriously though anyone else on here going to be there on January 22nd for interviews?

Can any current students tell me what time classes start in the mornings at UB pharmacy?

It depends.

however,

Required classes are never earlier than 8am, and never later than 8pm unless you take a night class outside of the School of Pharmacy

Has UB started sending out interview invites already?

Has UB started sending out interview invites already?

Yeah mine isn't scheduled until January 22nd though. Don't know if that is when they start or if the earlier slots were already filled. I was so happy to get an invite I didn't bother asking :)

last year they didn't start interviewing until february...so january may be the first round of interviews either way just to get an interview is quite an accomplishment, congrats and good luck!

Congrats Will (and nice stats too!)

I met Karl Fiebelkorn (assistant dean of student affairs for UB pharm) today at the pre-pharm meeting. Seems like a really cool guy who really cares about the students, and pharmacy as a whole.

Man, I hope I get accepted.

will7678:

How did your interview invite come? (mail, email, phone). Thanks.

My interview invite came via email. The day my pharmcas app was labeled as mailed they sent me an email asking me to do the supplemental. I finished the supplemental that evening and got the interview invite the next day. So far I am pretty impressed by how organized the program seems as a whole and everyone I have talked to in the program has great things to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Will (and nice stats too!)

I met Karl Fiebelkorn (assistant dean of student affairs for UB pharm) today at the pre-pharm meeting. Seems like a really cool guy who really cares about the students, and pharmacy as a whole.

Man, I hope I get accepted.

Man I always hear about those meetings the day after they happen. Are the meetings open to everyone? If so do you know when the next one is scheduled?

Funny story there. I emailed the president of the club back at the beginning of the semester to find out when the first meeting was (since I'm not a "pre-pharm" major, they didn't automatically send me an email.) So I went to the first meeting, and signed my name and email address on the sheet to be added to the listserv. Then for 2 weeks, I heard nothing. I tried emailing the president a few times with no response. Finally I emailed the vice pres yesterday and she informed me of the meeting 5 hours before it happened...yeah, real professional move there, guys. It was worth going to though.

But the next time I actually DO get an email, I'll let you know.

...oh, and by the by, Karl is not IN admissions per se, but he participates in the interviews. He was saying how they send their applications to various UB pharm alumni who want to participate in the admissions process to also go over the applications. He also stated that during the interviews, he looks for applicants who are "dynamic" in what they bring to the table. I don't know how dynamic I am being a 24-year-old white male who worked as a mechanic for 5 years while in community college, so hopefully you can use that info to prepare for your interview somehow.

Last edited:
Funny story there. I emailed the president of the club back at the beginning of the semester to find out when the first meeting was (since I'm not a "pre-pharm" major, they didn't automatically send me an email.) So I went to the first meeting, and signed my name and email address on the sheet to be added to the listserv. Then for 2 weeks, I heard nothing. I tried emailing the president a few times with no response. Finally I emailed the vice pres yesterday and she informed me of the meeting 5 hours before it happened...yeah, real professional move there, guys. It was worth going to though.

...oh, and by the by, Karl is not IN admissions per se, but he participates in the interviews. He was saying how they send their applications to various UB pharm alumni who want to participate in the admissions process to also go over the applications. He also stated that during the interviews, he looks for applicants who are "dynamic" in what they bring to the table. I don't know how dynamic I am being a 24-year-old white male who worked as a mechanic for 5 years while in community college, so hopefully you can use that info to prepare for your interview somehow.

Oh man so now I have to work on being more dynamic too? Talk about vague advice. While I am at it I will work on expanding paradigms in strategic portions of my life.

That's plenty dynamic. Prof. Fiebelkorn tends to like people with a diverse experience; you'll learn that pretty quickly once you get here. If you can have a coherent conversation on a wide variety of topics, you'll do just fine with him. The other faculty might be a different story.

I will be applying. Currently a pharmaceutical sciences undergrad there now. Helps that one of my LOR is a faculty member and my research is with the assistant dean of pharmacy school also.

At UB, good numbers and LOR's etc. will get you an interview.

However, when you sit down with a man like Fiebelkorn- who has been charged with the responsibility of protecting the school's quality- you have to bring something else to the table. You have to ensure whomever you interview with that not only are you capable and interested, but that you will represent the school in the best possible way for the rest of your professional life.

He interviewed me back in 2007- I can promise you that you will be responsible for answers to those sorts of questions.

At UB, good numbers and LOR's etc. will get you an interview.

However, when you sit down with a man like Fiebelkorn- who has been charged with the responsibility of protecting the school's quality- you have to bring something else to the table. You have to ensure whomever you interview with that not only are you capable and interested, but that you will represent the school in the best possible way for the rest of your professional life.

He interviewed me back in 2007- I can promise you that you will be responsible for answers to those sorts of questions.

I would expect nothing less from a University with Buffalo's reputation. Frankly I would be a little worried if that wasn't the case. The harder it is to get in the more that it means when you can say that you graduated from UB. That and the higher the quality of individuals that are joining the job market from UB the more likely local hospitals/businesses are to want to hire more UB grads. At least this is what I remind myself of when I think of how hard I have had to work just to get an interview here.

Good luck everyone! I started school here at UB a few months ago and so far it's pretty fantastic. Let me know if you have questions.

Good luck everyone! I started school here at UB a few months ago and so far it's pretty fantastic. Let me know if you have questions.

Congrats on getting in and it is good to hear yet another person that has had/is having a good experience at UB. Hope to be a year behind you soon :D.

UB just emailed me the other day saying they'll start reviewing my app once my last LOR comes in. It just came in today. I am eagerly waiting for an invite from UB.

I received my invitation from UB today....Nearly fell outta my chair when I seen the email....The date offered was for Jan 22....Now we need desmoulins to get his and we'll be good to go!

hckyplr:

Can I ask you when you submitted your application, when you took your pcats, and what your stats were? Just wondering as I am still awaiting to hear from UB. Much appreciated.

hckyplr:

Can I ask you when you submitted your application, when you took your pcats, and what your stats were? Just wondering as I am still awaiting to hear from UB. Much appreciated.

I submitted pharmcas 7/27. I submitted my supplemental I believe mid November (I tried checking my email to find my supp receipt, but must have deleted it). I took my first PCAT in August (79 composite), submitting pharmcas so early probably didn't help considering they had to wait for my pcat. I just took the Oct 17th one too. My stats aren't too impressive, my overall gpa was a 3.15 on pharmcas. My undergrad gpa was only a 3.0, but my post grad gpa (including all prereqs) for 40 credit hrs so far is a 4.0. My PS stressed the fact I had no idea what career path to pursue in during undergrad and only focused solely on sports. During post grad though I got certified and work in both a retail and hospital pharmacy (for over 1 1/2 yrs now). Lots of EC's like shadowing with ortho surgeon, anesthesiologist, ER Pharmacist, mercy flight, yada yada...Hopefully this answers your questions.
Willrocks, for some reason or another I thought you already received your interview invite, but since you didn't, I hope you get yours soon too!

Thanks. Will 7678, out of curiosity, when did you submit your application and take the pcat? I am just asking because I am eagerly awaiting to hear from them myself.

Thanks. Will 7678, out of curiosity, when did you submit your application and take the pcat? I am just asking because I am eagerly awaiting to hear from them myself.

I took the PCAT in June so my score was already in by the time I submitted pharmcas.My application was listed as mailed by pharmcas on 9/14 and they sent me a link for the supplemental that same day. I filled it out that evening and on 9/15 they sent me an interview invite.

How do they send you an interview invite - through email or regular mail?

I just got mine too! Hope to see you guys there.

Just got an interview invite for the 22nd as well. I was shocked. Looks like ill be seeing you guys there too!.

Yeah, any and all of you guys who are getting interviews, would you mind posting your stats?...or you could just pm me if you're too shy. My insatiable curiosity always gets the best of me. And congratulations to you all, knock em dead!

Yeah, any and all of you guys who are getting interviews, would you mind posting your stats?...or you could just pm me if you're too shy. My insatiable curiosity always gets the best of me. And congratulations to you all, knock em dead!

3.95 GPA, 2 years as an RN (no pharm experience :(), 99 composite 3/3 on PCAT, finishing BA in chem this semester.

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews now as the pace seems to be picking up and good luck to everyone else waiting to hear from UB. Looking forward to seeing everyone there and trying to figure out who everyone is. I will be the old guy (31) :p

Don't know my exact stats off hand lol but:
3.66 cum gpa
~3.6 sci from pharmcas I think
82 pcat
2yrs Rx Tech experience

I shouldn't have asked for your stats, you guys make me feel like an idiot...haha...But who cares, good luck to you anyways I'm sure you will get in with no problems!!!

I just want to mention a few things about this school.
Pros: The tuition is pretty cheap because P1 year is considered undergrad so you pay undergrad tuition. After a year in NYS, you can get residency so you pay in-state tuition (unless you are international).
Cost of living in Buffalo is incredibly cheap compared to NYC/Los Angeles/etc.
I love the campus and how there are offices for groups like ski club, church organizations (free food every Wednesdays), fraternity. It is easy to get involved in organizations here.

Cons: In NYS, if you are an international student w/o a green card, you CANNOT get your state license here when you graduate (NYS is the only state that does this). Many of my international friends mentioned that they would not have gone here if they knew this before hand.
This school has an early assurance (EA) program. This means that about half of your class will be students with 2 years of undergrad (they are 20 year olds). I heard that this is changing to a 3 years of undergraduate requirement in a few years. Due to the EA students, you will be taking some classes that are not really pharmacy related during P1 year (physiology, biochemistry and microbiology). I really hate the fact that I have to take these classes (although I got biochemistry waived).
It's difficult, but not impossible to get a job here.

Random question but I figure that a lot of people applying to UB may also be applying to St John Fisher since it is in the same area. Anyone hear anything at all from them yet?

I also received my interview for the 22nd!!

Stats below.

Congrats!!! Although actually your stats are above not below. Your sig only posts on the first post of each thread. :smuggrin:

Hello everyone! I just got an interview invite today for January 22nd and I'm excited to meet some fellow interviewees! It makes me feel less alone in the application process :)

starting to get nervous...:eek:

Dang, seems like alot of us have interviews on the 22nd. Its going to be crowded!

That sucks, but don't give up, you'll probably get in! Gotta keep the faith!